Goin' with the Flow- TCD's Disney Dream Trip Report

Seriously, you can bring on your own alcohol? Legitimately? It just has to be in a carry on bag? They don't care?

I realize things change all the time, but we are discussing a cruise in a couple of years when the Godkids get older.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cheap plastic Mickey medals brings out the worst in people.

Foul, foul, foul, I'm calling for the "Mickey Cheap Plastic Medal" judge to rule on this bogus and outrages medal fraud. I say they're pity medals and should be disallowed as real cheap Mickey plastic

I may not read TRs but I sometimes look at the photos. Uh, whadya think, I'm blind? Did I notice, of course I did. But I have to ask the obvious question.

Posted Images

new notes to add to my cruise spreedsheet -

elevator riding after midnight

mickey bars after midnight

close down the aquaduck

stay on the ship (for short cruises)

don't fall asleep before anyone else or a picture could end up on ff.net

Very good.

I give you an A+!

You are paying attention!

Congrats on reaching 10 Aqua Duck rides, starting a conga line and snagging those turkey legs. Sounds like you had a great Pirate Night!

Yes, that was a good night.

Seriously?? I can order chicken wings and a steak sandwich at 1am? And it's free??

I really have to try this cruise thing.

Yes, yes, yes and yes.

I already told you about the steak sandwich- it's good.

And, the chicken wings weren't bad either.

Very impressive.

Do you write this stuff down?

So you know I'm not bluffing.

I have a cheap plastic Mickey medal and I'm not afraid to use it.

No.

I remember stuff like that.

I would love to see a photo of your medal and the drawing.

Seriously, you can bring on your own alcohol? Legitimately? It just has to be in a carry on bag? They don't care?

I realize things change all the time, but we are discussing a cruise in a couple of years when the Godkids get older.

Yes you can bring your own alcohol and they don't care.

I carried on two 12 packs. And no sneaking required. Went right through the scanners, and nobody batted an eye.

As far as I know, no other cruise ships currently allow that. It's kind of strange that it's Disney that does.

TCD

Another great update!

Those menus sound wonderful.

I agree with you about assigned table and assigned time. The only downside is if you have a small group and end up with bad tablemates. I've been on several cruises with my BFF (David doesn't like cruising) and we once got an obnoxious tablemate who ended up stalking my friend and making some very lewd remarks to her. We immediately got moved to another table.

Another great update!

Those menus sound wonderful.

I agree with you about assigned table and assigned time. The only downside is if you have a small group and end up with bad tablemates. I've been on several cruises with my BFF (David doesn't like cruising) and we once got an obnoxious tablemate who ended up stalking my friend and making some very lewd remarks to her. We immediately got moved to another table.

So far, we have never had bad tablemates on any of our cruises.

On all of our Disney cruises, we lucked out and got our own table. On this cruise, we linked reservations with our friends, so we were a party of 8, and we correctly assumed that we would have our own table.

On our previous cruises, our tablemates have been a source of amusement. On our very first cruise, for whatever reason, we got assigned to a table of senior citizen couples. Here we were, in our 20's, celebrating our first anniversary, and they stuck us at a table of old people. It was very awkward that first night. Until we go to talking. It turns out they all lived in the same community in Florida and were traveling together. I'll never forget one of the guys, Walt. He had on leisure suit, and his shirt was unbuttoned, and he had on a big gold medalion. We ask them where they all live, and he says Paradise Lakes. I recognized the name. Mrs. TCD did not, she just nods and says that's nice. Walt says you don't know what Paradise Lakes is, do you? Mrs. TCD says no. Well, it's a nudist community! They ended up being a lot of fun, and fortunately, we never saw any of them after that cruise.

So, you never know who you might be having dinner with.

TCD

On our previous cruises, our tablemates have been a source of amusement. On our very first cruise, for whatever reason, we got assigned to a table of senior citizen couples. Here we were, in our 20's, celebrating our first anniversary, and they stuck us at a table of old people. It was very awkward that first night. Until we go to talking. It turns out they all lived in the same community in Florida and were traveling together. I'll never forget one of the guys, Walt. He had on leisure suit, and his shirt was unbuttoned, and he had on a big gold medalion. We ask them where they all live, and he says Paradise Lakes. I recognized the name. Mrs. TCD did not, she just nods and says that's nice. Walt says you don't know what Paradise Lakes is, do you? Mrs. TCD says no. Well, it's a nudist community! They ended up being a lot of fun, and fortunately, we never saw any of them after that cruise.

:rofl2:

And with that, we are now on to day four of our cruise.

This is a Sea Day.

Which means we just sail around all day.

Most folks who have never cruised think that sounds boring, but I think most seasoned cruisers would agree that Sea Days are the best.

There are usually a lot of activities, and you just get to relax and enjoy the ship and do what you want.

Although I really didn't want to, I slept in even later on Monday morning. All the way to 8:00! I guess I needed the sleep, since it was past 2 when I finally went to bed.

It looked kind of cloudy out our porthole, so I went up top to take a look.

It was kind of sunny.

That was good. On sea days, most captains can drive around the clouds and find sunny spots for the ship.

There were signs all over the pool decks and a notice in the Navigator saying that saving of pool chairs was not allowed.

So, of course, there were folks out at 8:15 in the morning saving chairs:

IMG_2196.jpg

IMG_2197.jpg

This worried me a bit, as we planned to hang out in the sun around the pool most of the day, and here were the chair hogs already claiming the chairs.

This goes on at the Fort, too, and I don't like it.

Since I was going with the flow, I decided that we would just wait and see what happened later.

Hopefully, there would be enough chairs to go around.

I'm not sure if this is a normal practice, but there was a castmember walking through the Aqua Duck:

IMG_2198.jpg

IMG_2199.jpg

IMG_2200.jpg

You can see a lot of clouds in those photos.

And even more in this one:

IMG_2201.jpg

I hope Captain Gus knows what he's doing, or we could be in for a wet/cloudy day at sea.

While I was checking things out, I decided to get some photos of the kid's splash area they have there on Deck 10. This is a huge improvement over the areas they have for little kids on the Magic and Wonder. This play area, called Nemo's reef, wraps all around the deck.

This is the Mr. Ray slide. Getting a photo with it was on the LOF. When she made the LOF, Twin #1 did not realize that Mr. Ray was in the kids' splash area, and that you had to be under a certain height to enter. That slide looks like fun, though:

IMG_2202.jpg

Here's the rest of the play area:

IMG_2203.jpg

IMG_2204.jpg

IMG_2205.jpg

That place was packed with kids whenever it was open.

I don't think I have posted any photos from the back of the ship. They have a mini golf course set up here, and I will have some more photos of that later.

For now, I just have this one photo. And one comment: Dang the man and all his stupid rules! :

IMG_2206.jpg

For any of you wondering about fishing or diving off the back of the boat- forget about it.

We had another nice breakfast in Cabanas.

And, I ate another pound of bacon. I also discovered that they had a station serving steak and eggs in there. Steak and eggs! Yes, I had just devoured a steak sandwich the night before (well, earlier that morning if you want to get technical), so I shouldn't have steak and eggs for breakfast, should I? Well, I'm glad I didn't ask you, because I did. So there. Go with the flow.

By the time we got out to the pool, every chair on the main deck had a towel or something else on it, saving it. Way more than half of these had no people in them. But, you know how the chair hogs are. No big deal. We went up to deck 11, which is where we spent the day yesterday. You can look down on the pool from there, and there is a better breeze. So there.

The girls wanted to go ride the Aqua Duck. I needed to sit and let my stomach work on all that beef it was trying to digest. So, I said I would wait and take photos. We were sitting right under the tube, so maybe I could get some good shots:

IMG_2207.jpg

While I waited for the girls to come by, I watched the trivia questions flashing up on the Funnel Vision. These flashed up there often, and I thought they were well done. I knew most of them, but I thought they were just challenging enough, without asking anything too obscure.

My calculations say I have space for 8 pairs of questions and answers. I will post them here. Keep track of how many you got right, and let me know.

Here's the first one, with the answer immediately following:

IMG_2210.jpg

IMG_2211.jpg

And here's the next:

IMG_2212.jpg

IMG_2213.jpg

IMG_2214.jpg

IMG_2215.jpg

IMG_2216.jpg

IMG_2217.jpg

This next one stumped me, but I think it's a poorly worded question:

IMG_2218.jpg

IMG_2219.jpg

Since when is Toy Story a "Disney Feature Film?" Toy Story was made by Pixar, which, at the time, was an independent company which contracted with Disney to market its films. Disney later bought the company, but at the time of its creation, Toy Story was not a Disney film.

Here's the last three:

IMG_2220.jpg

IMG_2221.jpg

IMG_2222.jpg

IMG_2223.jpg

IMG_2224.jpg

IMG_2225.jpg

If you did not get that last one right, then you are a disgrace to your fellow Fiends.

So how did you do?

Anyone get all 8 right?

Anyone want some more.

I have a few more.

But, for now, we are running out of space for photos.

The weather cooperated with us in the morning.

We were having fun.

I broke out my flip flop and popped a couple beers.

Life was good.

With the two new ships and all of the new employees they had to hire, I wondered if the quality of the castmembers on this ship was going to be on par with the excellent castmembers we have encountered on our prior cruises. The answer, up to now, was yes. The castmembers were great. Then we ran into this Goof, who was apparently assigned to our area of the deck:

IMG_2236.jpg

This guy was nice enough, but he was a total goofball. Eventually, another castmember came and took him away:

IMG_2237.jpg

I never did get a photo of the girls. Somehow, I missed them cruising by.

It was Goofy's fault.

Go with the flow.

Next up- our Sea Day continues.

TCD

This darn multiple updates in one day is cramping my style. I'm going to comment on the first update, then read the second one and comment, if I feel the need ( :rofl2: Who am I kidding?)

I think you all look great in your Pirate bandanas! Dressed up, but ready to party. Well done.

I had visions of Mrs TCD strolling down the hall with those turkey legs, they are SO juicy. Every time Nate eats one, his face looks like it's been dipped in baby oil.

I almost wet my pants seeing that chocolate! I did that once with a Reeses cup in a hotel. Trevor wanted to die.

He kept saying :"They're gonna think you sh*t the bed!!" We laughed til we hurt. (easily entertained)

The good news is, I was certain that there had been people that sh*t the bed, so I wasn't concerned with my reputation.

Andrew, that's just your luck. You go on a cruise with a bunch of nudists and they turn out to be senior citizens.

Story of my life.

Walt had a face like a catcher's mitt. Only with more wrinkles. I certainly did not want to see any more of him. And there were a few in his crowd that were worse than that.

The funny thing is Paradise Lakes is actually not to far from where I live. I have heard stories from folks I know who had to go there on business. Like I have a friend who is an AC repairman. He said he has been sent out there before. The best story I heard from him is about the time he went out there, drove in, and ran into a guy who was laying sod in the nude! I guess he didn't have to worry about getting his clothes dirty.

I got six correct. I agree about the Toy Story Question though. I was hopeful for the pictures of the girls going thru the AD and no picture with Goofy... are you slippin? Nope, you are sliding, sloshing, or swimming with the flow.

You make a good point. I am a little light on photos from day four. Maybe I was slipping a bit. But, don't worry, I have plenty of photos from day 5.

This darn multiple updates in one day is cramping my style. I'm going to comment on the first update, then read the second one and comment, if I feel the need ( :rofl2: Who am I kidding?)

I think you all look great in your Pirate bandanas! Dressed up, but ready to party. Well done.

I had visions of Mrs TCD strolling down the hall with those turkey legs, they are SO juicy. Every time Nate eats one, his face looks like it's been dipped in baby oil.

I almost wet my pants seeing that chocolate! I did that once with a Reeses cup in a hotel. Trevor wanted to die.

He kept saying :"They're gonna think you sh*t the bed!!" We laughed til we hurt. (easily entertained)

The good news is, I was certain that there had been people that sh*t the bed, so I wasn't concerned with my reputation.

I know.

I guess I am pressing to get this thing done. I need to give you time to comment.

I agree with you, I am sure that our poor cabin steward had to deal with much worse than a melted chocolate coin. They really ought to think about not passing those out. It's not like anyone is ever hungry on a cruise, so those things probably don't get eaten very much.

You and Trevor have the same sense of humor we do- I haven't laughed as hard in a long time- and it was just a melted chocolate coin.

TCD

I'm caught up now.

I hope to God that Disney put those signs out as tongue in cheek. If someone wants to fish or dive off the back of that boat, they'd better bring a LONG pole and have a big set of................noseplugs.

I'm happy that you did not have a heart attack after multiple pounds of bacon and beef.

I will not ask if you wore your Mark Spitz speedos on this trip. :rotfl5:

I need to give you time to comment.

TCD

I hope that didn't come off as narcissistic. ???

(I only meant, I am getting old and my brain can't compute and comment properly on more than one at a time)

My fingers even work faster than my brain sometimes and when I reread it, it sounded snooty.

I'm caught up now.

I hope to God that Disney put those signs out as tongue in cheek. If someone wants to fish or dive off the back of that boat, they'd better bring a LONG pole and have a big set of................noseplugs.

I'm happy that you did not have a heart attack after multiple pounds of bacon and beef.

I will not ask if you wore your Mark Spitz speedos on this trip. :rotfl5:

You know, I think my Mark Spitz speedo shrank. It was a little snug even before this cruise, so it didn't make it one the trip.

I either need a new one, or maybe I need to lay off the bacon for a while.

Did you notice that they have a BLT on the room service menu? Like anyone needs more bacon on the cruise? Of course, I had one one night.

Well, at least I'm not a disgrace to the Fiends.

Way to go, Gwen!

So how did you do on the rest of the questions?

I hope that didn't come off as narcissistic. ???

(I only meant, I am getting old and my brain can't compute and comment properly on more than one at a time)

My fingers even work faster than my brain sometimes and when I reread it, it sounded snooty.

I didn't read it as snooty at all.

But, then I know you, so I know you are far from snooty.

TCD

Did you notice that they have a BLT on the room service menu? Like anyone needs more bacon on the cruise? Of course, I had one one night.

TCD

:lmao1:

If you're gonna go, go big!!!

My lips are sealed.

That bad, huh?

I agree, sea days are the best! We like to get an aft cabin and just sit out there and enjoy a drink and snacks as the world goes by.

That was what I thought on all of our previous cruises, but wait until you hear the rest of the story about our day at sea.

I like to sleep overnight on my aft balcony! Nothing like waking up there on the next morning!

No way!

You slept on your balcony?

That must have been awesome.

We have only had a balcony on one cruise, and the thought crossed my mind.

But, it's hard to beat a soft bed and air conditioning.

What did you do-sleep in a chair?

:lmao1:

If you're gonna go, go big!!!

That's what I always say.

Kind of.

I say go big or go home.

TCD

The aft balconies on the back of the ship are larger and they have lounge chairs. I have been very spoiled by this. :)

I didn't think about that. A lounge chair on a balcony. I could sleep there.

I'm with Dave, the food is winning me over! I may not do anything but eat if I went on the cruise!

That is just about all I did. I was glad that it was only a 5 day cruise, or else I don't think I would have made it.

TCD