Goin' with the Flow- TCD's Disney Dream Trip Report

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cheap plastic Mickey medals brings out the worst in people.

Foul, foul, foul, I'm calling for the "Mickey Cheap Plastic Medal" judge to rule on this bogus and outrages medal fraud. I say they're pity medals and should be disallowed as real cheap Mickey plastic

I may not read TRs but I sometimes look at the photos. Uh, whadya think, I'm blind? Did I notice, of course I did. But I have to ask the obvious question.

Posted Images

OK, you have totally gotten me interested in doing a Disney cruise. Me, who has never thought of going on a cruise because I don't like to be away from solid ground. The forces are converging to make this a strong thought bordering on a slight possibility at this point. So I've been looking at the DCL web page. One question that they are vague about, at least as I read the wording - does one need a passport for the type of cruise you did? Also, I am contemplating this November. When do the "reduced last minute" rates that you mentioned come out? My feeling is that I don't care what type of room we have as we would be in it only to sleep exhaustedly and shower.

I could see my dh stringing up a hammock on a balcony on a cruise ship! LOL

I could see that too.

But, I'm pretty sure there is a rule against it.

I saw the hidden Mickey when I was reading the TR. I only got 4 answers right. Love learning about cruising Disney-style! Only problem is now I really wanna go on one!

Thanks so much for the warm welcome!

Only 4 right?

You need to get back to WDW!!!

Dust off that tent and make your reservation!

Was falling behind but caught up now. Great updates and fun as always.

Glad you're caught up.

Stay with it now, or you're going to fall behind again.

I got 7 right...missed the one about the church mice.

I missed the church mice answer too.

Loving this cruise. Wish I was there.

I missed that one too. I think I saw Robin Hood once. And it was a long time ago.

I also missed the Toy Story one, because I was re-reading the question and trying to figure out if they were going to claim Toy Story as a Disney film.

They did.

OK, you have totally gotten me interested in doing a Disney cruise. Me, who has never thought of going on a cruise because I don't like to be away from solid ground. The forces are converging to make this a strong thought bordering on a slight possibility at this point. So I've been looking at the DCL web page. One question that they are vague about, at least as I read the wording - does one need a passport for the type of cruise you did? Also, I am contemplating this November. When do the "reduced last minute" rates that you mentioned come out? My feeling is that I don't care what type of room we have as we would be in it only to sleep exhaustedly and shower.

I really would suggest a travel agent. We have a member here, Rhonda, who a lot of Fiends use for cruises. The DCL pricing has become really crazy.

The discounted rates I was referring to are called Guaranteed rates. I don't see any for November. Yet. If you look at the September cruises, you will see some. There are some being offered for category VGT. That refers to a Verandah cabin. That is a great rate. They seem to be holding these back until after 75 days before the cruise date has passed. They are doing this because 75 days before the cruise is when you have to pay in full, and after that, they really hammer you if you cancel. So, they wait until all the full paying customers pay, and then they offer the discounts.

On the Bahamas cruises, you do not need a passport. Just a state-issued ID and a certified copy of your birth certificate. That is not the case for some of the longer cruises, so be careful.

And I agree with you about not caring what type of cabin you get- I will always go for the cheapest one I can get. Yes, verandahs are nice, but on a three day cruise, a verandah cabin can cost $500 more than an inside cabin. It just isn't worth it to me.

TCD

True you don't need a passport to go to the Bahamas on a closed-loop cruise, BUT if for some strange reason you have to FLY out of the Bahamas (miss the ship, get sick, or any other trouble), it takes a large amount of hassle to get home. We got the passports, just easier, and now if some insanely incredible overseas opportunity presents itself, we have the passport in hand.

True you don't need a passport to go to the Bahamas on a closed-loop cruise, BUT if for some strange reason you have to FLY out of the Bahamas (miss the ship, get sick, or any other trouble), it takes a large amount of hassle to get home. We got the passports, just easier, and now if some insanely incredible overseas opportunity presents itself, we have the passport in hand.

I have heard the same thing. But since passports are not required, we just went with the birth certificates. Mrs. TCD and I used to have passports, but they are currently expired. I have heard that they are easier to get than they used to be. But, I really didn't want to pay for five passports when for now we have no plans to travel outside of the US.

TCD

Let's get this thing moving again.

It's still our Sea Day.

As mentioned, Sea Days are full of all kinds of zany activities.

We are about to see one of those.

At 11:30 am, they were advertising something called Jack-Jack's Incredible Diaper Dash.

They even had a sign:

IMG_2241.jpg

So what is this?

A baby race.

Yes, I said baby race.

If you had a baby, you could enter.

I am not sure of the age limit.

But we were fresh out of babies, so we had no horse baby in the race. As far as I can recall, I have never seen a baby race, so I figured it was worth a look.

Look, they put a DCL bib on Admiral Donald:

IMG_2240.jpg

And, hold the phone, do you see what is hanging from his left wing?

A medal!

Dang!

Another medal that I can't win!

We found a place to watch from up on Deck 4, looking down on the floor of the atrium. That also gave me a chance to admire all of the details around the atrium. Check out the railing and the sculpted panel over here:

IMG_2243.jpg

Here's a look at the race set-up. It was pretty simple- they rolled out a mat, and if you had a baby, you stuck it at the start line. Then you went over to the finish line to try to entice the baby to crawl there. Only three babies entered, and you can see that only one was in to it:

IMG_2246.jpg

This actually became entertaining, because that baby crawled right to the finish line and stopped without crossing it. Then she started to crawl the wrong way, toward the other babies. In the meantime, one of the other babies made his move. But, eventually that front runner did cross the finish line, and a baby got a medal before anyone in the TCD gang. This was not looking good for us:

IMG_2249.jpg

After the baby race, we went back up top and found that we had a bit of rain. Things had thinned out a bit on the pool deck, and the Aqua Duck line didn't look too bad. There was no line for the Mickey Slide, which is actually very popular on the Magic and Wonder:

IMG_2250.jpg

There is something else I need to point out in that last photo. White Speedo Dude (WSD). There is at least one on every cruise. I don't know why, but there is. And he was here. You can see him there to the left of center in that last photo, standing next to the row of chairs.

Can't see him?

Well, today is your lucky day, because, WSD was prancing his stuff all over the deck.

Here he is to the left of the Mickey pool:

IMG_2254.jpg

And, here's a profile shot:

IMG_2255.jpg

And here he comes again:

IMG_2256.jpg

Look how nobody is even noticing him. Not the reaction he was hoping for, I'm sure. How am I the only one seeing this? :

IMG_2257.jpg

You will be happy to hear that this is my last photo of WSD:

IMG_2258.jpg

Please also note, that despite the clouds, the Donald pool is pretty much wall to wall people. DCL missed the mark on this. These new ships of theirs are way bigger than the Magic and Wonder, but the pools are about the same size. Not good on sea days.

We had a bit more rain.

The girls gave up on sunning at about noon, and headed down for a dance party. I decided to go and check on them after a while. There they are toward the bottom center of this photo:

IMG_2259.jpg

Donald and Daisy are out there dancing too, and Chip and Dale are on the stairs with our buddy, Simon.

Here's another shot of the girls dancing:

IMG_2262.jpg

And Simon and the 'munks:

IMG_2263.jpg

You can't take too many photos of this light fixture, so here's one more:

IMG_2264.jpg

And here's some more dancing:

IMG_2265.jpg

Here is a cool detail that I noticed as I stood there taking this all in. Look at how the lights for the dance party have dropped down from those sculpted panels. Then, after the party, they are retracted. Very clever:

IMG_2267.jpg

IMG_2268.jpg

Here's the last photo from that dance party-

IMG_2269.jpg

The girls were heading to lunch from here. I was heading up to see Mrs. TCD on the pool deck.

What a surprise it was for us to run right in to Dude In Bike Shorts Without A Bike (DIBSWAB) right there waiting for the elevator:

IMG_2272.jpg

What was HE doing here?

I don't know, but it's awful suspicious that both WSD and DIBSWAB were on the same cruise.

Do you thing they're a couple?

You know how I said earlier that one thing I like about sea days is that the captain can usually keep the ship in the sun? Well, Captain Gus failed at that. The rest of the afternoon was cloudy. We didn't get a lot of rain, but after a while, we got tired of ducking in and out.

So, Mrs. TCD and I found Maria at the bar next to the adult pool, and I finally got to have one of Maria's Mojitoes while sitting on one of those bar stools in the water.

Maria asked how we were doing on the LOF.

We told her pretty good.

Except we weren't winning any medals.

She said she would see what she could do about that.

That was nice, but what could she do about that?

After our drink with Maria, we went and checked on the Cove Cafe' which is also next to the adult pool.

We got a coffee drink in there.

And we hung out for a while.

Then, believe it or not, it was time to get ready for that night's show.

Mrs. TCD and I had skipped the ventriloquist on Night 2 and the movie on Night 3, so we decided we ought to go see the Golden Mickeys show which would be presented tonight.

So, that was the plan.

We will pick up the story from there in the next post.

TCD

Those aren't Speedos. Those are more like Tidy Whiteys. Those have way more coverage than your standard speedos, and I can't say I'm not happy about that.

Why does it always gotta be the older guys with bellies that wear those?

Now, backtracking to the Abs guy on Castaway Cay....HE could rock the speedos. Bummer.

DIBSWAB :rofl2:

Honestly, it does look like he came from the gym or is there a running track on this ship?

Sweaty, running shoes, Ipod and in shape, makes me think he just got his workout groove on.

If that's your DD's BF on the side of your picture, I love the look she's giving you.

Thank you for not moving at warped speed today! :heartsmiley:

Am I the only one thinking that this trip report has far exceeded the limit on photos of shirtless men?

There is no such thing as too many photos of shirtless men. :well-duh-smiley:

Am I the only one thinking that this trip report has far exceeded the limit on photos of shirtless men? I know a few of you will disagree, and I could wager money on who you are, but really....

I guess I should have wagered that money. You were on my list. Now we just have to wait for Genia to come along....

:bugeyes: I am officially going on the record as being ANTI WSD and GIBSWAB. WSD looks like he is in his underpants.

Other than temporary blindness and pain behind my eyes I am really enjoying this TR! ;D

with ya sista

I beg to differ...

Wait a minute!!!! All the sweaty, fat old guys, please keep your shirts on!!!! :whew:

amen sista

I guess I should have wagered that money. You were on my list. Now we just have to wait for Genia to come along....

Reporting for Duty, Sir! :usa:

Shirtless men.... :dance: :dance: :dance:

Six Pack shirtless men.. :smug: :thumbsup1:

Jumping in to say I think this is the best TCD trip report ever! We really want to go on a cruise someday.

Also to brag that I got all the trivia questions right. Yea me! But I missed the hidden Mickey. Boo. I hang my head in shame.

Thanks.

And good job on the trivia. I am surprised that anyone knew the Robin Hood one.

was gone all weekend but caught up on this TR. Great stuff. Now to catch up on the three pages of additional content.....

Good luck with that.

Those aren't Speedos. Those are more like Tidy Whiteys. Those have way more coverage than your standard speedos, and I can't say I'm not happy about that.

Why does it always gotta be the older guys with bellies that wear those?

Now, backtracking to the Abs guy on Castaway Cay....HE could rock the speedos. Bummer.

DIBSWAB :rofl2:

Honestly, it does look like he came from the gym or is there a running track on this ship?

Sweaty, running shoes, Ipod and in shape, makes me think he just got his workout groove on.

If that's your DD's BF on the side of your picture, I love the look she's giving you.

Thank you for not moving at warped speed today! :heartsmiley:

Yes, there is a running track. And it's outside of Deck 4, which is were we ran in to DIBSWAB. But, dude should have taken the stairs to wherever he was going. Who wants to get on an elevator with that- plus I assume he was looking for exercise.

Yes, that's my daughter's BFF in the photo. She knows how we roll- I was pretending to take her photo so I could take one of DIBSWAB.

Am I the only one thinking that this trip report has far exceeded the limit on photos of shirtless men? I know a few of you will disagree, and I could wager money on who you are, but really....

You are right.

But, I assure you that if there were any shirtless ladies to photograph I would have gladly done so. It just didn't work out that way.

Go with the flow.

:bugeyes: I am officially going on the record as being ANTI WSD and GIBSWAB. WSD looks like he is in his underpants.

Other than temporary blindness and pain behind my eyes I am really enjoying this TR! ;D

I am with you on both of those too.

I consider that a challenge.

I think there is such a thing.

Wait a minute!!!! All the sweaty, fat old guys, please keep your shirts on!!!! :whew:

Oh, OK.

Give me a minute, though, I have to find one.

You forgot about Nicki.

(and all the other Fiends of the female persuasion).

with ya sista!

See?

Reporting for Duty, Sir! :usa:

Shirtless men....

Six Pack shirtless men..

Well, Dave called that one right.

I'd like to see what happened if I did have shirtless lady photos and all the men Fiends were drooling all over them like you ladies are doing.

TCD