My Sad, Happy, Sad, Happy, Sad, Happy, Kitten Adventure.

Anyone traveling from FL to the northeast anytime soon? ???   :)  

I've already fallen in love with the little girl.  sigh.  

Cindy

ummmm... maybe. but I have my dog with us and I am personally trying to convince Sil our cat needs a little friend. but if Sil doesnt work out we might be able to discuss a transport. 

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Glad my little fighter has adapted to traveling. The house seems a little boring without the sound of his little paws running, actual galloping, from one end to the other. While the first few days we

If rep points were dollars, that might be a motivator, but they're not and useless otherwise. The up arrow crew has me over 1600, so up arrows I don't need.

Buddy It wasn't tough at all. No big deal. After all, I'm a cold, rough, tough, non-feeling man with tons of street cred.

Here's an offer no one can refuse.

I can fly her to Boston with Gail on June 26th and I will split the $100 fee. If she's old enough to be neutered, which I don't think she is, I will.

Your street cred is plummeting with offers like that. And what happened? Gail heard we were coming and booked a flight out of town as quick as possible?

Your street cred is plummeting with offers like that.

I know it, and for some inexplicable reason which once again shows how poor Fiends judge of character is, my rep points keep climbing, knock it off.

And what happened? Gail heard we were coming and booked a flight out of town as quick as possible?

You would think that, but it's just a coincidence.

I'm willing to donate $20 to getting this kitten a home. Wish Brian and Adam weren't allergic :(

Thanks Beckers, that's very nice, but I won't be accepting any donations and would rather you buy those two little guys, and maybe even the big guy, an ice cream and tell them it's on me.

See what I did there? Gutta get those bribery rep points up. Dave is getting too close.

Anyway, these two guys love the visitor, especially Buddy.

It's odd that he wants nothing to do with Dobby, but loves the kitten.

LLL1_zpsf7e95aba.jpg

She was not a basket case like Lil Lou when I found him. She's been eating and drinking and doing everything else normally, but I guess because she's been a stray for her entire short life, she was keeping to herself until today. She's started acting like a kitten and is playing as she should be.

LLL2_zps8ce92a5b.jpg

Wow, Lou I'm humbled with the offer... 

Let me talk it over with Ken... I really wasn't thinking this would be possible. Just wishful thinking. ya know what I mean?   Kind of a sweet daydream. not reality.

I feel for my older cat, Misty who's 8 yrs old and I'm afraid she wouldn't like a new addition....   Even after almost an entire year, she hadn't warmed up to Louie.   

Anyway, keep looking for a home for her closer to FL. :-) and I'll have a heart to heart with Ken on weather or not we can take a 3rd cat.  

Your an amazing man Lou!  and I do wish we lived closer or could visit the Fort often.    Love all you Fort Fiends!  You guys are wonderful!

Cindy

On my last post 3 days ago, all was fine, but things took a very sad turn. She got loose.

We had her in a fenced in area so that if we have to set her free, which more than likely is what we'll end up doing, she would be acclimated to being outside. While we were playing with her, she took off like a rocket, got by Gail, and she was gone. She ran into the very thick bushes, probably climbed the fence, and we couldn't find her.

We searched the neighborhood on foot and by car for two days, but nothing. I would check the backyard in the morning just in case she somehow found her way back, but nothing.

On the 3rd morning after she ran away, while I was looking around the backyard, I saw something move in the bushes. It was a tiny kitten meowing. It was her. I lured her with food, she was so hungry. I doubt she had any food or water since she ran away. While she ate, I grabbed her.

So she is back in her private room, eating, drinking, and starting to play again. 

The next step will be in a couple of weeks when I take her to get her fixed. After that, we'll let her recover in the house, then it's the pool and deck area, which believe me, is not a bad place to live.

We'll keep her there until we feel she is old enough to be released.

And just like Mama Cat, shell have a good life living outside our house and the two houses next to us. She'll have her freedom, plenty of food and water, and as long as she stays nearby and stays off the road, she'll be safe.

While I agree totally with the spay and neuter concept, and all of our pets have been, I never understood the term "fixed".  The problem is that nothing is broken, it all works just fine...it IS fixed.  The equipment needs to be un-fixed!  :rofl2:

The problem is that nothing is broken, it all works just fine...it IS fixed.  The equipment needs to be un-fixed! 

Very true.

The term "fixing" is a colloquial expression meaning the same as neutering.

I was sad dropping her off at the animal shelter.

Our county offers a service where if you bring in a cat or dog and put it up for adoption, but with the stipulation that you will adopt it if no one claims it, they will spay or neuter the animal plus give it it's shots for free.

In order to make it all work out, they will hold her for three days to give the owner time to claim her. And because they're closed on weekends, she won't be spayed until Monday. So she'll be at the shelter for six days.

They took me into the holding area, I was impressed. It was about a 12 x 12 AC'd room with 20 large individual cages. Each one with food, water, a blanket, a scratching pad, and a litter box. It was clean, quite, and well staffed. She'll be just fine.

Thanks Cindy.

I'm sure it will go well. If she survived for 10 weeks out on her own, that's how old they think she is, this will be nothing for her.

It's a little quieter around here without the pitter patter of little kitten feet running around.

Ok people, once again, if you live within a reasonable drive of Boston, Portland Maine, or the Atlanta area, and you can use some company from a terrific little critter, let me know.

Picked up Lulu 3 days early. She lost a little weight, but doing fine from her operation.

123_zps5b9fde7c.jpg

A preview of things to come. She appeared to want to go outside into the pool enclosure, which she will get do in a week or so.

It's the next step in her eventual release to the outside world when she's big enough to hold her own.

Hopefully, like Mama Cat, she'll stay close by.

wer_zpsbdd43455.jpg

And who's this? No, it's not Lulu, it's yet another kitten.

A great neighbor of mine who has also been working to keep the stray cat population from getting any larger, knocked on my door to tell me that a tiny kitten had climbed into the wheel well of their car, could I help.

This is what I literally pulled out of the wheel well.

Talk about unusual coloring, but what a feisty little girl. A real fighter just like Lil Lou.

She's half the size, but with similar coloring as Lulu.

She only weighs 1.2 lbs, so does not yet qualify for neutering.

My neighbor and I were just going to drop her off at Animal Services which meant certain death, but Gail, who BTW is allergic to cats, said no.

Let's keep her until she's big enough to be spayed or find a home for her, and then deal with what to do next, then.

The good news is that we might already have someone that will care for her.

Is someone dumping kittens in my neighborhood, maybe.

15ty_zps87ad1b4e.jpg

Glad Lulu is doing well and I hope she sticks around too.  :)

Lulu2? (the sequel) is also adorable.  If I didn't have a house full of crazy dogs...

Glad to hear that you may have someone for her already.

I really hope someone isn't dumping kittens in your neighborhood, but I'm very glad you and your neighbors care enough to help them out.  :heartsmiley:

A happy post, but with a sad element.

Lil LuLu went to her new home this morning. I will miss her. For the few weeks we had her, we went through a lot together.

She's going to a home in Poinciana, a town about 30 minutes south.

But we still have this little unnamed bundle of joy. Can you see her. She has a great personality. She's the happiest of all the kittens we've rescued. I love what appears to be dirt around her left eye. It's actually a ring of blonde fur.

So it's wait until she weighs 2 lbs, and then it's off to be fixed. After that, we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Kit_zpsd2d37d2c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so happy Lulu found a home!   And that you get to enjoy a new kitten while you wait for her to get big enough to spay.

Thanks Cindy.

It's been a couple of weeks, so I thought I'd give an update for the animal lovers out there. It's not as happy as it could be, but still a happy update.

Look at her in the photo below, so cute, what a personality. She climbed up on the scratch pole that Gail bought for her, just to watch MaMa Cat eat. Little does she know that she may be out there with her in a month or so.

She is as cute as they come. She runs around the house just looking for something to play with. We're getting lots of smiles from her.

Anyway, she's doing great. She finally weighs 2 lbs and is now eligible to be spayed. I'll bring her in Monday and pick her up Friday.

Unfortunately we haven't found a home for her yet, but plan B is not so bad for her.

We'll release her when she's big enough to hold her own in the outside world. She'll be able to come and go from our pool enclosure. I'll put a Kitty door in one of the doors so that she can access the food and water that we'll put out for her.

She's here now walking across the keyyyyyyyyyyyyyybooooooooard as I try to type this. She is special.

Life is good for the yet nameless kitten as she has full run of the house and pool area, has her own room, and people that care for her.

1931_zps784d9243.jpg