My Sad, Happy, Sad, Happy, Sad, Happy, Kitten Adventure.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Glad my little fighter has adapted to traveling. The house seems a little boring without the sound of his little paws running, actual galloping, from one end to the other. While the first few days we

If rep points were dollars, that might be a motivator, but they're not and useless otherwise. The up arrow crew has me over 1600, so up arrows I don't need.

Buddy It wasn't tough at all. No big deal. After all, I'm a cold, rough, tough, non-feeling man with tons of street cred.

• 1 month later...

Lots of crappy stuff going on in the world, so I think it's time for some happy stuff that will hopefully make you smile.

It's been almost two months since I posted on this thread.

I left off where Gail, my wife, found a tiny kitten, I had her fixed and found a home for her, happy ending.

While all this was going on, I also rescued an even smaller kitten from the wheel well of a neighbors car. I took her home and brought her to the shelter to be put up for adoption, but while there they told me that because she was so young and they had so many kittens up for adoption, she would be put down immediately. Gail told me before I left that if that was the case, bring her back, which I did.

She weighed only 1.4 lbs, so tiny, but boy was she cute and what a feisty personality.

The plan was to keep her until she could be fixed while we tried to find her a home. Well she did, and I did, but we didn't find someone that would take her. On to plan B.

And here it is, her in her new home, better known as our home.

qwe_zps1dd642c1.jpg

And below is where she spends a good part of her day. Yes, that is a fan aimed at her igloo with her blankie inside and there is also an overhead fan. Hey, it's hot in Florida. She has the entire pool enclosure to roam and hunt lizards. At least someone or some thing is going to use it

Gail is allergic to cats and the plan was to let her go once she was big enough, but I don't think we're going to do that.

She now weighs 5 lbs and seems to like her home. Because she's grown up with Buddy and Dobby, she thinks that she's a dog. She drives them crazy and is in charge. She makes us smile every day with her antics, so it's a win, win.

BTW, staying with the Harry Potter and my name theme, she was named Lou-na or Luna.

qaz_zps3933c197.jpg

how adorable is it that she thinks she is a dog.

That's all she's known.

Good job Lou-vine! Making the world a better place.

I think it's our responsibility to be humane to animals, furry and otherwise.

And "Lou-na" is perfect. 

Wish I could take credit for it, but one of our daughters came up with it.

CUTE!

Yup

Jason is not our only CATMAN

Not just cats. Gail has brought home, homeless kids, homeless adults, cats, dogs, and we've saved numerous turtles, opossum, armadillos, you name it. If it can be saved, we do it.

That new cat may be Lou-na, but you are Lou-ney.

That's not the first and certainly not the last time I'll hear that.

Gail gets credit too, for letting Luna hang out in the igloo.

Gail gets full credit because she's the one that insisted we save Luna, not me. I did agree though.

You've got quite a family there.

The last thing I wanted was another animal, but we just couldn't let her die.

She'll spend most of her time outdoors and we'll be doing what we do for Mamacat, give her food and water every day and keep an eye on her. So it's not a big deal.

Lou I love her name!  and I'm so happy you get to keep her.  I know you missed Lil Lou so much when he came home with us.   The girls were very upset last week as it has been a full year since Lil Lou was hit by a car. :(   We still all miss him so much!   We talk about adopting another kitten all the time, but honestly, we just aren't ready. Lil Lou left an indelible mark on all of us and we'll never find another kitten like him.  He was a love, crazy and just plain made us laugh.   

We still have our other two, Jack who's 5 now and Misty who's 8.     There are two neighborhood cats that visit every day; Fat Bo —  who is really, really fat, and who just wants to be friends, but my cats are not interested.   And Ninja kitty - a very small, thin all black feral (i think) cat who Jack is buddies with.  We've even had to remove the cat door as Jack taught Ninja kitty to get inside, and he sprayed in my living room YUCK!       I'm trying to get Ninja kitty to trust us (feeding him when we see him, talking to him, ect;  but so far, no luck. He wont' let me within 5 feet of him... and he's fast!   I'm worried about the winter time as he's so thin.  But I'm working on it.    I want to get him fixed and get his shots.  wish me luck.

Lou--and advice on befriending a feral cat?

Miss all my fiend friends!! Hope everyone is well.

I'm trying to get Ninja kitty to trust us (feeding him when we see him, talking to him, ect;  but so far, no luck. He wont' let me within 5 feet of him... and he's fast!   I'm worried about the winter time as he's so thin.  But I'm working on it.    I want to get him fixed and get his shots.  wish me luck.

Lou--any advice on befriending a feral cat?

The method I used to catch Mamacat was to put out a pet carrier with food and catnip at the end. When it's inside close the door. They won't be happy though.

Some animal services locations will loan out humane traps that pretty much do the same thing.

As for befriending a feral cat, it depends on the cat. Some won't let you get within 20 feet, and others will allow you to pat them.

I've seen Mamacat every day for 4 or 5 years and she will allow me to pat her, but only one pat, more than that and she backs away.

Miss all my fiend friends!! Hope everyone is well.

You don't have to miss us, we're always here.

this cat looks suspiciously like one that showed up at my daughter's house a few weeks ago:

Sure does.

They are called Tortoiseshell cats or Tortie for short and are quite common. It is very likely a female and your daughter should get it fixed or she'll have more kittens showing up. Some local animal service places will do it for free or for a minimal cost. It's well worth it if she is planning to release it outdoors.

I haven't cared for cats since our two black Siamese strays used our stove top for a litter box while i was at work.  They were as sneaky as the two in "Lady and the Tramp".  They would hang out in our rec room, then sneak up and jump on my back while i was working at my desk.

The tortoise shell coloring is a gene thing and results in female cats. Very rare

I've heard that they're rare, but we've found three within the last year or so.

At first I thought they were related but the age difference of the last two made that unlikely.

Great story

Thanks Karen.