My Sad, Happy, Sad, Happy, Sad, Happy, Kitten Adventure.

Tiny miracles. What a difference a day makes and some medication.

He's a completely different kitty this morning. He ate for the first time on his own, alert and playing a little, and not just sleeping.

Not out of the woods yet, but things are looking up.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Glad my little fighter has adapted to traveling. The house seems a little boring without the sound of his little paws running, actual galloping, from one end to the other. While the first few days we

If rep points were dollars, that might be a motivator, but they're not and useless otherwise. The up arrow crew has me over 1600, so up arrows I don't need.

Buddy It wasn't tough at all. No big deal. After all, I'm a cold, rough, tough, non-feeling man with tons of street cred.

Here he is. How could anyone not rescue this little guy?

His eyes are not oozing or puffy and are clear. Still a little redness around them and he's sneezing from time to time.

He's eating very well, very playful, tries and succeeded getting out of the bathtub that was his home. Now he has the entire bathroom with a short gate to keep in there when he's not out with us.

The only issue now is that what's going in is not coming out.

IMG_1353.jpg

aww thanks Genia! actually I'm going to be at the Fort next week. :yaysmilesa-smiley:

I'd have to talk to DH... but maybe, just maybe if you haven't found a home for him by the end of August and he's in decent health, we could take him with us back to NH... (ugh DH is gonna kill me! )

I really hope you find a good home for him closer to you. He's so cute!

Lou, I talked it over with DH and he said a tentative YES :stars-shower-smiley:(he wants to meet the little guy first). Please please keep trying to find him a local home. But, if you haven't been able to find him a good home by Aug 31st, we'll take him home with us. shh don't tell my girls. We can chat next week to see how he's doing and how the search is going. We have to leave the Fort on Fri Aug, 31st, so we'd have to arrange to pick him up from you or for you to bring him to the fort.

I hope the poor little guy doesn't have some kind of a blockage. Keep an eye out for any change in eating/drinking or if he gets lethargic again - those are usually the signs.

It's been a couple of days, but he finally jumped that hurdle this morning.

It probably took that long to fill up his digestive system.

I was concerned and was prepared to take him to the Vet today. It's going to be a good day.

He was very skinny when we took him from the mom, still is, but he's put on an ounce or two.

So it's all good news, one more challenge though, find the lucky people that will give him a good home.

Lou, I talked it over with DH and he said a tentative YES

I was posting while you posted this.

That would be great, and yes I will continue to look for a home too.

DH will love him though.

The little guy is a fighter. He got beat up, was hungry most of the time, but he stayed with the mom even though she wasn't paying any attention to him. I don't know how he managed to survive for as long as he did. He was the last of four.

Now he's a healthy, very playful, and very cute, little guy.

Of course I would keep him if my wife wasn't allergic to cats.

Thanks Lou! I feel bad that you can't keep him, sounds like your already half in love w/ the little guy.

On a side note, both DH and I used to be allergic to cats, but loved them. So, DH got me a Russian Blue, Macguyver, for our 1st wedding anniversary. (they are supposed to be the most hypo allergic cats after the Sphinx). While we both had some runny nose/watery eyes symptoms at first, they went away pretty quickly (with in a few months). He was our gateway cat, and now we have 2 domestic cats that we adopted from the MSPCA and are not allergic to at all. Mac passed away 3 yrs ago, miss him still. But love my 2 cats that we have now.

The girls have been begging me for a 3rd, but just haven't wanted to deal with all the vet bills and such. But, maybe this is as Monique said "meant to be", we'll see. Part of me wants you to find a home closer to you, but the small childlike side of me wants to take him home. Either way, by the end of August this little guy will have a home. I admire you for taking him & his sister in to your home and nursing the back to health Lou!

...While we both had some runny nose/watery eyes symptoms at first, they went away pretty quickly (with in a few months). He was our gateway cat...

Funny you say that. I was always allergic to cats and dogs, despite living with a cat for 20 years growing up (a long haired black and white). Loved them, but any time I pet anyone's and put my hands anywhere near my face the dripping and itching would start (sorry).

Then in my early 20s I lucked into a little black kitten with thick short fur that shed like crazy. I had that cat for 13 years and he slept next to my head on the pillow most nights and never so much as a sniffle. I added a 2nd cat a couple of years after the first - a long haired, black and white kitten that didn't really shed so much as "clumped". She liked to sleep on my stomach. ;) Never had allergy issues with either and she lived to be 18.

When we got our first border collie 12 years ago, she was a medium coat girl with a little bit of undercoat. She loved to be hugged and smushed and her fur never effected me at all.

However I still have problems most any time I'd pet anyone else's dog/cat - especially my mom's short haired lab/pit mix. I had to wash my hands immediately or start popping the antihistamines.

We don't have any cats now, but have the 3 border collies - 2 long hair with plenty of undercoat and one medium "slick" coat. They get hugged and picked up and smushed multiple times a day. Brady starts every single morning by jumping up on the bed and sitting on me (and sometimes nosing me in the eye) as soon as my alarm goes off, and won't go away until he's had sufficient snuggling. They don't shed a ton, but they do shed (I mostly notice it in the camper. I can sweep every day and there's a clump of hair going out the door EVERY day).

No sniffles at all.

Makes me think that it's possible for some people to acclimate to pets they come into contact with every day... or this allergy thing is all in my head. 8)

I feel bad that you can't keep him, sounds like your already half in love w/ the little guy.

You feel bad? And yes, I am attached to him.

Here he was this morning, all by himself, in the kitchen, keeping himself amused with an impromptu toy that he found.

Look at those eyes.

IMG_1359.jpg

BTW, here's the mom with him just before I took him. He wanted to be with her but she left him alone for hours.

She's one of the prettiest cats I've ever seen, stray or otherwise.

When she looks at you, it's like she's looking right through you.

She's at our front door every morning and we've put food and water out for her every morning for years. We just couldn't let her go hungry. But she's not a good mom.

I've tried to catch her, but she's too smart.

But I'm absolutely going to catch her and get her fixed this week come hell or high water, so that we don't end up with the same situation again.

LilMoma.jpg

Wow Lou, she IS a beauty! Good luck snagging her. As beautiful as she is, the last thing she needs to be doing is filling the already over-crowded pet world up with kittens... albeit adorable ones.

So great seeing Wee Orange Boy (name please!) enjoying himself with what looks like the belt to a fuzzy pink bathrobe. Love it!!

This is the one week anniversary of our two kitten ordeal. I know they're only cats, but they shouldn't have to suffer.

His sister now has a home, a good one, I hope.

He's gone from suffering from malnutrition with diarrhea, stuff oozing out of his eyes and nose, sleeping all day, and having to be forced fed, to a bright eyed, playful, swatting at Buddy, eating like a little pig and completely healthy, little guy.

He's on his last two days of medication and really doesn't need it anymore anyway.

Here he is getting into trouble, which he's real good at doing.

IMG_1370.jpg

This is the one week anniversary of our two kitten ordeal. I know they're only cats, but they shouldn't have to suffer.

His sister now has a home, a good one, I hope.

He's gone from suffering from malnutrition with diarrhea, stuff oozing out of his eyes and nose, sleeping all day, and having to be forced fed, to a bright eyed, playful, swatting at Buddy, eating like a little pig and completely healthy, little guy.

He's on his last two days of medication and really doesn't need it anymore anyway.

Here he is getting into trouble, which he's real good at doing.

IMG_1370.jpg