Pre and Trip Report: First time tent campers 8/17 - 8/19

Day 2

Day 2 started at about 3am when I noticed DH was no longer in the tent with us. I figured either a bear ate him, he checked into a Holiday Inn Express or was in the truck. Whatever…what this meant for me was an extra blanket! I pulled DD onto the queen bed with me and now we had an extra blanket and slept well for the rest of the night.

The real morning started out around 7:30. We woke up to the sun shining and the birds chirping. Yeah! We made it through our first night of camping! We all went to shower and when we got back our camping buddies were up. DH, DD and I decided we would check out the Trail’s End take out for breakfast. I didn’t even know they did this, read it online recently…maybe it’s new? Our camping buddies ate Lunchables for breakfast. Not sure what veggie Lunchables are…but what do I know.

We got a blueberry muffin, a cinnamon roll, a bagel sandwich with no cheese (yet for some reason it had cheese on it), and potatoes. We sat at a picnic table by the playground and split everything. I thought it was all pretty decent for the price. The kids played…the kids fought…we decided it was time to move on.

We went and checked out the ponies, the girls were too big to ride and the boy was too scared so we went on and checked out the big horses. We pretended not to speak English and petted some of them…it was fun and nobody got bit. Then we rode around and checked out some of the other areas. We saw the dog park…it looks very nice…but there were no dogs playing. Our tent wrecking dog will never play there either because he is a BAD BOY!

DH got a Disney gift card for his birthday so he decided to use it to rent a golf cart…he loves those things. But he was so jealous of the private ones and all their decorations! I see one of those in our future.

The weather started getting bad so we decided to drive over to All Star Music (where we usually stay) and play in the game room, have lunch and let the kids do some of the poolside activities that they move into the food court when it rains. Our camping buddies got bored because they were too shy to play any of the games…but DD won a rubber ducky at Disney trivia so we didn’t care and they had to suffer through it with us.

Our camping buddies mentioned that they would like to check out some of the deluxe resorts so we went back to the campground then took the boat over to the Contemporary and had a nice drink at the Outer Rim bar while the kids played in the game room. The waitress took our drink order and then asked us if we’d like “something to eat”. I said, “Oh, do you have a menu, I didn’t know you served food?”. She said, “No, we don’t serve food. We have bowls of crackers and nuts.”. Ahhh…bar kibble…yes please. I just thought it was weird how she asked if we wanted something to eat.

Then we took the boat to the Wilderness Lodge where we checked out the lobby and grounds. It’s very pretty to look! We were going to take the boat back to the Fort but there was a huge line of people waiting to get to the Hoop Dee Doo, so we decided to find the walking/riding trail that I read about that goes between the Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness. The concierge gave us a little map and off we went. It wasn’t a bad walk at all…very pleasant. Would do it again.

When we got back we went to the pool again for awhile. Then we all started to get hungry. I went back to the Trail’s End take out and ordered chicken meals for my family because the camping buddies wanted to eat PB&J that they brought. They gave me a restaurant style pager and said it would be 20 minutes…I was a little surprised it would take so long, but no biggie. DD and I waited for the food and DH took the camping buddies back to the campsite to make their dinner. It took them forever…so they missed the Electric Water Pageant but DD and I got to see it. It was one of the highlights of the trip…I love that silly show and so does DD, plus a little alone time with her was nice.

They got back in time to watch the fireworks (no music…I thought they piped in the music?). Then we went driving around looking at all the other campsites. That was a lot of fun and probably DH’s favorite part…he’s a lights guy…he’s like Clark Griswold in Christmas Vacation. Look out Fort Wilderness!

Went back to the campsite for another round of showers and more dominos. This night we got brave and didn’t put the canopy over the tent. It didn’t rain and everything stayed dry. I closed 3 sides of the tent and this kept us a little warmer but we were still cold. DH made it through the night though so that was good!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Loving the TR!! And I must say you are a better person than I am for letting the "buddies" tag along. Hell, there are times I don't even want my husband along on my camping trips let alone some rookie

LOL, I feel you on the DH comment, doesnt mean I don't love him, I'm just a little "settled" in my ways when in comes to camping and he dare not question it :) I couldnt camp with a vegetarian, I cons

Arrival and Day 1 DD and I cut school and work on Friday so we could get an early start. DH was going to come after work with everyone’s bikes. The plan was for DD and I to set up our site, and be c

Another great update!

That is some funny stuff about how you noticed your husband missing at 3 am, but just went back to sleep happy that you had more room.

And, I see some nice snark in there about your camping buddies and their vegetarian lunchables. Good one!

The take out breakfast at Trail's End has been around for a year or so now-glad you found it as it is good and fairly priced.

The pager you got at dinner time is something new. I forgot to mention that in my trip report- that is a good idea and an improvement over the old way where you had to check back and/or lurk around until your order was ready.

So, you made it through two nights in the tent. You're campers now!

TCD

Then we went driving around looking at all the other campsites. That was a lot of fun and probably DH’s favorite part…he’s a lights guy…he’s like Clark Griswold in Christmas Vacation. Look out Fort Wilderness!

You should really go between Thanksgiving and Christmas if you enjoy the lights on the sites. There are many awesome displays to see.

Bar Kibble (so true) normally salty enough to make you want to buy another drink.

Loving the TR!! And I must say you are a better person than I am for letting the "buddies" tag along. Hell, there are times I don't even want my husband along on my camping trips let alone some rookie vegetarian and her offspring. LOL!

Can't wait for more!!

We pretended not to speak English and petted some of them…it was fun and nobody got bit.

:lmao1:

Enquiring Lush minds want to know: What did you order to drink at the Contemporary?

Loving the TR!! And I must say you are a better person than I am for letting the "buddies" tag along. Hell, there are times I don't even want my husband along on my camping trips let alone some rookie vegetarian and her offspring. LOL!

Can't wait for more!!

LOL, I feel you on the DH comment, doesnt mean I don't love him, I'm just a little "settled" in my ways when in comes to camping and he dare not question it :)

I couldnt camp with a vegetarian, I consume a entire herd of animals while camping :)

Can't wait for more!!

:lmao1:

Enquiring Lush minds want to know: What did you order to drink at the Contemporary?

Ya I know what you mean...it won't happen again...I was too chicken to say "no", but it's another lesson learned.

I had something called a Pomegranate Splash, the picture looked good and it was strong. DH stuck with a Bud Light and the vegetarian ordered a Pina Colada, I think.

Hey Trish-

I visited another site that has a small section devoted to Fort Wilderness and noticed that you are posting your trip report there too.

It's kind of interesting comparing the lukewarm reception you are getting there to the fun thread that you have going here.

You can do what you want, but you are a Fiend now, and that place is kind of a big bummer and waste of time if you ask me.

And whatever you do, don't mention this great site over there- they will kick you to the curb if you do. That's the kind of people they have running that place.

TCD

I love your report! It almost makes me want to plan a tent trip. Almost. We still do it, but mostly in the winter months as a family, then my son who is a Scout has to tent so no choice there. Though I pretty much let my husband go on those. Very interesting to hear how chilly you were! Wow did you luck out there. So many of my friends squint their nose when they ask me, "you camp?" What they don't know is, I "glamp". With the a/c and all the comforts of home! But, at the fort even sleeping in a tent isn't exactly roughing it with those awesome comfort stations!

Though we've only tried TE a couple of times over the hundred times we've been to the Fort, I remember how I didn't like having to hover around and check on your order when doing take out. People give you the stink eye like you're cutting the line or something. Did the pagers work well in your opinion?

You're a saint for putting up with your vegan, ill-prepared camping pal. Sounds like you made the best of it and still had a blast.

FP4

Enjoying your humorous trip report. I always thought it would be blazing hot to camp in Fla in August. I guess not always. We've camped in the 2000 loop a couple of times and I think it's easier just to mention when the ice machine DOES actually work. It doesn't seem to be that often. Of course reading that made me think of the rhyme my DSs learned from friends: "the drink machine is out of order, kiss my butt and give me a quarter." Now I'm hopeless whenever anyone says "the [blank] is out of order..." I feel I must fill in the rest.

Since Trish said she was short on photos, I am going to take the liberty of posting one for her.

Trish is the one who broke the story about them issuing pagers for the take out orders at Trail's End.

I had forgotten to mention that in my most recent trip report.

I had also forgotten that the TCD twins recoginzed the significance of this as Twin #1 texted me a photo of the pager when they were down at Trail's End to get our GAG.

Here you go:

IMG_6204.jpg

That's a photo of the pager.

And Twin #1's, thumbnail, which is painted with Rapunzel and the floating lanterns from Tangled.

TCD

Since Trish said she was short on photos, I am going to take the liberty of posting one for her.

Trish is the one who broke the story about them issuing pagers for the take out orders at Trail's End.

I had forgotten to mention that in my most recent trip report.

I had also forgotten that the TCD twins recoginzed the significance of this as Twin #1 texted me a photo of the pager when they were down at Trail's End to get our GAG.

Here you go:

IMG_6204.jpg

That's a photo of the pager.

And Twin #1, thumbnail, which is painted with Rapunzel and the floating lanterns from Tangled.

TCD

You know, they did the pager when Rich, Lorna, and I had a GAG, and I didn't realize the significance cause I had never actually been around when a GAG was purchased!!! (I've had a GAG, just never bought one!!)

You know, they did the pager when Rich, Lorna, and I had a GAG, and I didn't realize the significance cause I had never actually been around when a GAG was purchased!!! (I've had a GAG, just never bought one!!)

Oh.

Well, the old way was you paid for you meal, and they would tell you to check back in x number of minutes. Usually it was 10-15 minutes. When it is busy, that is a pain because there would be a bunch of folks hanging around waiting for their order. There really isn't a good place to wait inside. This allows guests to go take a seat on the porch (or the barrels) and wait for the beeper to tell them when to check back. Much better.

TCD

I love your report! It almost makes me want to plan a tent trip. Almost. We still do it, but mostly in the winter months as a family, then my son who is a Scout has to tent so no choice there. Though I pretty much let my husband go on those. Very interesting to hear how chilly you were! Wow did you luck out there. So many of my friends squint their nose when they ask me, "you camp?" What they don't know is, I "glamp". With the a/c and all the comforts of home! But, at the fort even sleeping in a tent isn't exactly roughing it with those awesome comfort stations!

Though we've only tried TE a couple of times over the hundred times we've been to the Fort, I remember how I didn't like having to hover around and check on your order when doing take out. People give you the stink eye like you're cutting the line or something. Did the pagers work well in your opinion?

You're a saint for putting up with your vegan, ill-prepared camping pal. Sounds like you made the best of it and still had a blast.

FP4

The pager was good. I wish I knew its range though. When I got it and they said 20 minutes, I drove back tot he pool in the golf cart to get the others. I doubt it would work at that distance. We had just pulled into the little cart lot when it started going off...so I don't know if they just set it off or if I just got back into range.