Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake and Key Lime Pie - Boardwalk Bakery

From the Disney Food Blog. Follow the link for more photos...

Snack Series: Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake and Key Lime Pie at Boardwalk Bakery

Aug 21st, 2012 by AJ.

I’ve fallen into a bit of a habit when it comes to walking the Boardwalk in Walt Disney World, and it always includes heading into the Boardwalk Bakery to check out what’s new!

This big bakery with a teensy-tiny little sales area for purchasing goodies is a hidden gem and hot-spot when it comes to unique, can’t-get-em-anywhere-else sweets and savories like the Cheesecake Brownie and Mickey Face Cake.

Atmosphere

As I said, while the bakery itself is large (they create baked goods and wedding cakes for the area), the area where guests can actually purchase things is very small. Almost an afterthought.

And as much as I love Boardwalk Bakery, the big detractor is the lack of indoor seating. Rain or shine, sweltering or less sweltering, you have to take your purchase outside to eat it. Sure there’s a bit of an overhang, but that hardly constitutes indoor seating.

Boardwalk-Bakery-Seating-600x456.jpg

Bakery Seating

Still, it can be very nice — should the weather cooperate — to sit outside and enjoy the view of Crescent Lake. There’s also great people watching to be had here! (If you see me say Hi — I’ll be the one with the camera who’s super sweaty and probably running late for something…and I’ll likely still have chocolate on my face from something or other.)

Eats

Still, this is a terrific spot to have in your back pocket as you head off to a busy day in the parks. They have a variety of breakfast and lunch items, and you can even use your Disney Dining Plan credits here for Quick Service meals or snacks.

And Beach Club Marketplace fans, listen up: this is where you can now get that beloved Beef and Blue!

Boardwalk-Bakery-Menu-600x257.jpg

Menu Board - Click to Enlarge

There are a variety of bottled grab and go drinks available.

And you can also purchase and refill your refillable mug here, making it the perfect pit stop before heading out.

Souvenir-Mug-Boardwalk-bakery-485x625.jpg

Souvenir Mug Refilling Stations

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake

When I was at the Bakery this time, a couple of things caught my eye. First: The Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake, which my good friend Carrie had told me was her very favorite and that she hadn’t seen it there for a while.

Peanut-Butter-Cake-Boardwalk-bakery-600x432.jpg

Peanut Butter Cake in the Case

I’ll admit, though, I was skeptical. I fell in LOVE with that Boardwalk Bakery Peanut Butter Cupcake I reviewed last year, and I’ve been sad to not see it back in the case on my recent visits.

But, since this was chocolate and peanut butter as well, I knew it must be sampled!

Peanut-butter-cake-2-Boardwalk-bakery-600x453.jpg

Peanut Butter Cake - Side View

The cake is a stack of equal parts chocolate cake and rich peanut butter filling. And I do mean equal parts. There’s no skimping on the peanut butter frosting here. And for those who want to know (like I would), the peanut butter frosting is thick and rich. It’s more like a peanut butter cookie dough flavor and texture than a whipped cream frosting texture. So, in the world of peanut butter frosting, this ranks an 8 out of 10, I’d say.

The top is a chocolate glaze that’s more ganache than frosting, and it sits right on top of a peanut butter layer. The cake is garnished with more of the peanut butter filling and tiny chocolate shavings and croquant on the ends, which provides a nice texture contrast.

And it’s just as delicious as it looks! The creamy peanut butter filling isn’t too sweet, and there’s definitely enough here to share. While I don’t love it as much as my beloved cupcake, it’s certainly delicious and well worth the trip over there if you have a craving or snack credits to burn!

After that, I opted for the Key Lime Pie. I just can’t bring myself to pass up key lime pie…unless it’s so obviously artificially flavored and colored that it’s neon green. And even then, I’ll still take a bite just in case.

Key-Lime-Pie-Boardwalk-bakery-600x449.jpg

Key Lime Pie in the Case

This one looks a little “processed” to me in terms of its perfect finishes. I tend to like my key lime pie all messy and graham crakery and crumbly, and this was not that.

key-lime-pie-2-Boardwalk-bakery-600x577.jpg

Key Lime Pie

The pie is a standard wedge shape, and it’s topped with whipped cream topping in a geometric dimple design. It also has a graham cracker crust, which, of course, it should. (In my world, all key lime pie would be like Olivia’s Key Lime Tart, which has think graham cracker crust all the way up all sides.) But…what’s this?? There’s just a thin crust on the bottom and NO crust on the back?!? Who signed off on this?!?

OK, quelling my rage about the lack-of-crust, I dug into the pie itself. While I much prefer tart key lime pie, this one is actually quite sweet.

SO, I won’t be getting this key lime pie again. Even though it didn’t taste bad at all, it just wasn’t for me. I guess I’d better stick with messy and crackery and crumbly.

Overall

While not exactly “atmospheric,” Boardwalk Bakery continues to be one of my favorite spots for unique and interesting treats and eats.

You really never know what you’re going to find here most of the time (the cupcakes are always changing out, and always good), and with the Disney Dining Plan in place, it’s a nice little spot to grab breakfast or lunch on your way in or out of the park.

As for these two items — you know I’ll be back for that peanut butter cake, but I think I’ll look elsewhere for my pie. icon_wink.gif

Is Boardwalk Bakery a must-do spot for you? Let us know your favorites!

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/08/21/snack-series-chocolate-peanut-butter-cake-and-key-lime-pie-at-boardwalk-bakery/