What to do when you boss says "Yes. You can take your 3 weeks of vacation at once"

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok so when we left off we had made an unscheduled stop at Lyman Lake. It was a beautiful place but we had a date with our first National Park of the trip. So we packed up and headed out around 7 a.m.

Silvia was feeling better and it was time to head back to California Adventure. We had the reserved area for World of Color so we headed over there to watch the show. A nice moon that night A s

We detoured an hour put of puts for Shenandoah

Great Yellowstone pictures!!!!!!!!! The old style bus they use there also has a version for the winter that has skis in the front and tracks in the rear like a snowmobile. Also Disney has 1 like that that they use for DVC to bring suckers I mean possible buyers ( we were one) and at that time only 1 person drove it but I think it came from Yosmetie.

Wow! Just in awe of your adventure. Just started reading it a few days ago & couldn't stop! Glad to see it is not finished yet & I'll look forward to more.

Would really like to do Yellowstone next summer. We did a short Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Disneyland trip this past summer with the twins. You have inspired me to get busy researching & get it planned!

Dory

Sorry for the delay in this folks. I have had crazy work stuff and am trying to get everything together for redoing my roof over the next two weekends. I promise to try and get a post up soon.

NP - I was finally able to make it through the whole TR this morning, and am completely hooked. The photos of the thermal features brought back so many memories, like I could almost smell them again. Of course, we did have Chili this week :rofl2: .

I've noticed a common thread among a lot of us - our parents or grandparents instilled a "road trip" mentality in us at an early age. At least we can blame them for something good, right?

Now that I am camping with my kids, I'm curious how you handled the food while tent camping in Canyon? That was a big concern of my wife's for our trip in 2006, and why we rented a hard sided camper. Did you use the bear boxes to store the food or in the car?

Like Dave, I would love to get back out there again with the kids, but taking our trailer from the east coast is probably not realistic with the job I have now. And renting a trailer/truck combination is sounding less likely as well. But tent camping is a real possibility. I have co-workers who are very adventurous and shared photos from the trips they took, including hiking into the back country of Glacier. I think I am going to have a hard time not day dreaming and scheming of a trip like this all winter now!

Dave - that van of yours is fairly new with low mileage right now, plenty of room in there to take the family on an adventure! (I know, I'm a bad influence).

Jason - thanks for sharing this TR. Brought back so many good memories for me. I'm glad that you and Sylvia found each other and share the same ideas on travelling.

Now that I am camping with my kids, I'm curious how you handled the food while tent camping in Canyon? That was a big concern of my wife's for our trip in 2006, and why we rented a hard sided camper. Did you use the bear boxes to store the food or in the car?

Like Dave, I would love to get back out there again with the kids, but taking our trailer from the east coast is probably not realistic with the job I have now. And renting a trailer/truck combination is sounding less likely as well. But tent camping is a real possibility. I have co-workers who are very adventurous and shared photos from the trips they took, including hiking into the back country of Glacier. I think I am going to have a hard time not day dreaming and scheming of a trip like this all winter now!

Jason - thanks for sharing this TR. Brought back so many good memories for me. I'm glad that you and Sylvia found each other and share the same ideas on travelling.

We had a cooler we kept all our food in. That was kept tightly closed and locked in the car. We made sure to clean up immediately after eating and get everything put away.

I am glad you have enjoyed reading along so far. Still some more to come.

I consider myself very very lucky to have found Silvia and that the two of us love to travel so much. In all honesty its what we do most even if its local travel or day trips.

Jason,

So glad your back!!! Pictures are truly wonderful and are bringing back so many wonderful memories for me!! Although, the photo of the back side of the Lodge with the outside porch area over the parking, was NOT a good memory for me!!! When we were there, we bought some ice cream and went out there to sit, eat and relax. While sitting there, one of my teeth broke in half.............by eating ice cream..........I was like, what the heck! We werent even 1/2 way thru our trip and still had a lot of ground to cover. Luckily, after the nerves settled down near the tooth, it didnt bother me too much!

Heidi

Oh No! I am glad the nerves settled down for you but dang thats an uncomfortable thing to have happen on your trip.

Wow! Just in awe of your adventure. Just started reading it a few days ago & couldn't stop! Glad to see it is not finished yet & I'll look forward to more.

Would really like to do Yellowstone next summer. We did a short Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Disneyland trip this past summer with the twins. You have inspired me to get busy researching & get it planned!

Dory

Absolutely must go. If you have the time (we didnt) I hear Glacier is awesome as well.

Thanks for bearing with me folks. Due to weather issues the roofing is on hold for today anyway so I figured I would try and get a post up.

So when last we left we had just departed the Old Fatihful area and started making the lower loop back around to our campground. We will hit the upper loop the next day.

Yellowstone has tons of water features. There are so many rivers and streams and creeks to see.

Here's some now.

DSC06996.jpg

The mountains and trees are nice too.

DSC06998.jpg

DSC06999.jpg

DSC07000.jpg

DSC07002.jpg

DSC07004.jpg

DSC07008.jpg

DSC07012.jpg

DSC07011.jpg

DSC07018.jpg

DSC07019.jpg

Heading back towards our campground.

DSC07023.jpg

We started to hike in to see I believe it was Rainbow Geyser or something to that effect. We never made it. We were tired by this point and the altitude was still killing us. Heres some pics we took on the hike in...we went in about half a mile before we turned back.

DSC07024.jpg

DSC07025.jpg

DSC07026.jpg

DSC07027.jpg

DSC07029.jpg

DSC07030.jpg

DSC07031.jpg

DSC07032.jpg

That is the last picture we have from day 1 in Yellowstone. When we got back to the campground I surprised Silvia with Dinner at the lodge there. We had Buffalo Ravioli that was delicious. Mind you not buffalo sauce but Buffalo meat. We are big fans of Buffalo when prepared correctly and this dish was delicious. So much so it inspired me in my dinner making the next night.

I have to upload day 2's pictures apparently but I will try and get back with another one tonight.

Some bugs but mostly wildfires.

Emerald Ash Borers is the name of the bug I think.

Man, there are a lot of dead trees!

From the photos, it looks like a lot of them were cut down and left there.

Do you know that they had an Emerald Ash Borer trap at the Fort last year?

It was a weird looking purple thing hanging in a tree back by the old cabin behind the 300 loop.

I took these photos last October:

There was a little sign hung in the same tree with the purple trap:

IMG_0458.jpg

IMG_0459.jpg

I think I saw a story in our local paper recently that they have been found in west central Florida and are wiping out trees over here.

Amazing that they have not or can not be stopped.

TCD