Sealing rubber roof on a 10 year old TT

Anyone ever use the paint on stuff on their rubber roof?...What were your results?

We were noticing that our roof was looking a little dried out. We saw some of the white color coming down onto the blacktop of the driveway after a rain. Went to the dealership..they gave us some of this roll on rubber roof sealer.

Um...well, it pealed off.  :shh: I'm not sure what we did wrong there. Other than it was probably only around 60 degrees when it was applied, and then we didn't get a chance to cover the roof this year before we got hit with an earlier than expected snow. Pretty much there's been snow up there since Dec. With a few warm days..it's all gone, but we noticed the stuff we rolled on in the late fall, is literally pealing off like the skin on an orange. Didn't seem to do any damage to the orginal roof. Just sort of put us back to where we started.

Suggestions?.....Where did we go wrong.

Ireally don't know too much about what you used, but did you prep the roof first?  Most of the stuff you put on a rubber roof requires it to be absolutely clean prior to application, or it will just stick to the dirt and come right off.

Just gave it a quick rinse. Didn't look dirty, barely left the driveway all summer. Obviously it needed more. It was more or less a last minute idea, as we had day mid Oct. where it was over 60 and figured we'd roll it on real quick. Was fine between Oct. and Dec. Only it appears once the snow got on top of there...that was the end of it. With the wind yesterday..was really kind of funny, watching it peel off and blow off the roof. Oh well,...

I guess we'll give it another shot come spring.

Below is the information from the website of one of the manufacturer of the

rubber roof material.

Cleaning & maintenance of Alpha Systems Royal Roof EPDM Rubber Sheet

Proper care & maintenance of the recreational vehicle, including the

Royal Roof, is important for trouble-free performance. Normal

maintenance is simple, easy & requires no special materials.

Periodic cleaning three or four times a year is the primary maintenance

required. Alpha Systems suggests using a household cleaner such as Top

Job, Spic-N-Span, or Ajax Cleanser, Granulated cleaning products perform

better for cleaning EPDM. Since the surface is not smooth like

fiberglass, a medium bristle scrub brush should be used instead of a

sponge. The rubber membrane requires scrubbing much like a white-wall

tire does. For tougher stains, like those from oak leaves or pine sap,

use kitchen cleanser with bleach **Extra precautions need to be taken to

control runoff onto sidewalls when using products containing bleach.

After cleaning, rinse the roof & sidewalls of the RV completely to

remove any soap residue & to prevent streaking.

Quarterly inspection of the roof is highly recommended. Check the

membrane for possible damage & check the caulk/lap sealant used in all

termination areas & around all accessories & fasteners.

Alpha Systems Royal Roof EPDM is quite inert & will dependably resist

weathering. It can, however, be cut or punctured by sharp objects. If

damage does occur, the Royal Roof membrane can be easily patched. Use

caution when placing any articles on the roof & exercise extreme care &

caution when working on top of your vehicle. The Royal Roof may become

slippery when wet, so remember to exercise extreme caution when cleaning

the rubber membrane.

EPDM rubber does not require periodic application of any product to

protect it from UV light or ozone. Such products can often damage the

EPDM membrane. Protect All Roof Treatment for EPDM rubber roofs, 303

Protectant for EPDM rubber roofs, or other products compatible w/EPDM

rubber roofing may be safely use.  If you have any questions about these

products, please call Alpha Systems Customer Service at 754-295-5206 for

assistance.

DO NOT USE ACETONE OR ANY PROCUTS CONTAINING PETROLEUM DISTILLATES ON

THE ROYAL ROOF

Hope that helps.

Anyone ever use the paint on stuff on their rubber roof?...What were your results?

We were noticing that our roof was looking a little dried out. We saw some of the white color coming down onto the blacktop of the driveway after a rain. Went to the dealership..they gave us some of this roll on rubber roof sealer.

Um...well, it pealed off.  :rofl2: I'm not sure what we did wrong there. Other than it was probably only around 60 degrees when it was applied, and then we didn't get a chance to cover the roof this year before we got hit with an earlier than expected snow. Pretty much there's been snow up there since Dec. With a few warm days..it's all gone, but we noticed the stuff we rolled on in the late fall, is literally pealing off like the skin on an orange. Didn't seem to do any damage to the orginal roof. Just sort of put us back to where we started.

Suggestions?.....Where did we go wrong.

Auntie,

This is what we do for a living. Lucky for you my husband is home sick today. Not so lucky for him. He says the roll on stuff that the dealer gave you is shit. His words not mine. He has a fix for you. I will pm you with our phone number and you can give him a call. He is happy to answer any of your questions.

doodlebug

Have him post it here if you can so it will be here for other people!

thanks,

Dan

I will try and get him to post. But he is a bigger technology cripple than I am.  :bday: I was thinking of posting our numbers on the tech board. Or starting an Ask Mike thread. do you think that would be a good idea? Our business is enclosed and utility trailers. We also sell RV supplies and do repairs on RV's. Nothing on the inside, but anything on the outside. You name it he has probably repaired it. :))

So I guess what I am saying is if you have a question I can ask him and then post it. The one thing I can say is he is always willing to help.

doodlebug

You will need to scrape off all the loose stuff that you painted on. Power washing works the easiest. Then clean with a good non petroleum based cleaner. We like Black Streak Remover.

Then apply elasto metric sealer.

Your other option is a new rubber roof. Check with your insurance as this is sometimes covered.

If you have other questions please check out the "Ask Mike' thread in Camp Tech Talk.

We are glad to answer all of you outside the RV questions

doodlebug

Well, it wasn't that bad that I would consider replacing the rubber roof. It was a bit "chalky" (if that's a word) that's all. No cracks or leaks, and we thought by rolling on the rubber roof stuff we had it would protect it.

I figure we'll just peal off what's left. (which isn't much) and see what can be done come spring.

Thanks for the input, and I'll look into the product previously mentioned.

All i do is clean it then add a rubber roof moistrizer.

I've never heard of that?...What is rubber roof moisturizer exactly?

It's a product similar to Armour All for tires.  The best product to use, but a little pricey is "303 Protectorant".  You can find it on line or at some RV dealers.

www.303products.com

http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog/rubber-roof-cleaner-protectant-13-0490.html That is what i found online. I cant remember what I use I ran out and well threw the bottle out lol. I will try that 303 stuff. I found a dealer here in town thanks. Only $16 a pint for that 303 Protectorant.