Pirates of the Tennessean - Dave and INC's Dream Cruise!

I hate boats. Some of you may know that about me, but for most of you this is probably a surprise. After all, I happily board the boats at WDW to travel to the MK, or to the resorts. And I do enjoy canoing. But overall, I am typically nervous riding on a boat, and in particular the thought of someone falling overboard, realistic or not, has always scared me away from cruising. Until now.

My interest in the Disney Dream was piqued before it was built...when they announced the AquaDuck and all the cool amenities. I figured that someday I would like to sail on that ship. But I also figured it wouldn't happen until the kids were older. But all of that changed back in July.

You see, I had booked an "end of summer" trip for us to Orlando for Labor Day weekend. I had a bunch of Southwest points and Marriott points, so I booked 7 tickets to MCO and booked the JW Marriott with the lazy river. We planned on leaving on Sept 1, INC's birthday, and returning home the following Thursday. Those dates were determined by the availability of the airline reward tickets. The kids would miss 3 days of school but everyone was fine with that. The planning was complete in May, and we just had to wait until September to leave.

And then, in July, I began reading TCD's Dream cruise TR. That spurred me to do a bunch of research on the Dream. On a lark, I looked at the sailing schedule, and there was a 4 night cruise that matched our plane tickets perfectly. Hmmm. The wheels started spinning. I exchanged a bunch of PM's with TCD asking questions. I was getting more convinced that this might be a great trip for my family. Something happens to parents when their children start approaching college age. You begin to view things in terms of the inescapable fact that they will be leaving the nest soon. I'm not ready for that. But I'm determined to make the most of our remaining time together under one roof. So, on a Friday afternoon in mid-July, I pulled the trigger and booked 2 connecting cabins for the September 2 Dream cruise! And, I didn't tell INC or the girls. This was going to be a surprise!

And so, let's get this thing underway. I typically will begin my reports with some headlines we will encounter along the way. What will we cover?

• Isaac, leave us alone!
  • Happy Birthday INC!
  • Adventure Planking!
  • All Aboard! Where's the Buffet??
  • She Ate WHAT?
  • Quite the Gala
  • Is There Such A Thing As Too Much Food?
  • Nature's Neti Pot
  • Arrrr!!
  • I Could Get Used To This

So with that behind us, let's go. All aboard! Or else Pirate Anna will make you WALK THE PLANK!!

Arrrrrr!!!!!

DDR-120904-JS_6x8-1257334.jpg

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No, just book an aft stateroom. Vibrations are included in your room rate.

Congrats on the funnel vision. I agree with the girls. Rotisserie Chickens or maybe rotisserie monkeys? The monkeys do not have heads. Can't wait for the rest of your trips.

Ok, some of you asked for Gwen's Adventure Planking video, so here it is. If you have 5 minutes to spare it might give you a chuckle. In particular, pay attention at around 4:10 of the video. If yo

I am quite interetsted in how INC took this "surprise".

But as you are still able to type, I'm guessing OK.

Happy ya'll got to spend time together as a family and the great news you received shortly before that.

Happy ya'll got to spend time together as a family and the great news you received shortly before that.

Yeah, me too cause I would pack completely differently for a cruise than I would hangin out at a lazy river at a hotel.

I'm in!!!!

Thanks for sharing with us nuts! I'm first!

I'm in! :popcorn:

Oh Boy!!!! I can't wait!!!!

Glad y'all are here. First 3 people replying get a special prize. Please collect next time you see me. Well, not you, TJ. Since the special prize is a hug from me, you'll have to settle for an Anna hug.

Yeah, me too cause I would pack completely differently for a cruise than I would hangin out at a lazy river at a hotel.

Stay tuned for the resolution of that conundrum.

I'm in. Love the pic of Anna!

Thanks! There just may be another 2 or 300 pics of Anna.

About damned time! But I will be a good boy and sit (not so patiently) for the trip to continue.

Pipe down!

I am in too. As a parent of a junior in highschool, I completely understand the wanting to do as much as possible while everyone is still under the same roof.

Oh and that is one of the cutest pirates ever!

I completely understand the "spend quality time with the kids while they will still hang around you" feeling. I am eagerly looking forward to the rest of this story.

I'm in on page 1! I also totally relate to the issue about wanting to do more with the girls while they're still around. I'm so excited to hear about y'all's trip!

That weighs on my mind a lot these days. I know there are parents who cannot wait to be empty nesters. INC and I are not in that category. And considering Anna will be sticking around awhile, I guess that's a good thing!

Stay tuned for the resolution of that conundrum.

Then again this could explain the WaWa and WallyWorld charges. You were kicked to the curb, splept in the WaWa's parking lot next to a McD's, needed some pain meds from Wally World, needed new running shoes to escape INC to make it to the WaWa. As far as Layne Bryant. You probably have big hips.

Pipe down!

No, do you not realize the position you put the rest of us guys in? A surprise cruise for a birthday present. I am sure that I am not alone in hoping that we read that INC. hated it ns next year you will stick with the toaster or just pretend you "forgot" her birthday.

Isaac, Leave Us Alone!

I am terrible at keeping secrets. Originally, the trip to the Marriott was gonna be a surprise. I think I told INC and the 2 older girls later the same day I booked it. But I was determined to keep the cruise a secret!

I spent the next several weeks after booking it doing research, planning, making door magnets, and creating packing and planning lists. I figured I needed a way to make sure the women folk packed appropriately for a cruise. So I made up stories about fancy dinners I had planned in Orlando, to make sure they packed appropriately for the dinners on the ship. I made up stories about a fun beach day I planned to make sure they were prepared for Castaway Cay. It was exhausting! :rofl3:

But there were concerns that I had a hard time keeping to myself.

First, I got concerned about the paperwork needed for customs. INC and I have passports, so no worries there. And I had certified birth certificates for my 4 older girls that we had gotten for the adoption. But Anna does not have a US birth certificate, nor a US passport. She does however have her Certificate of Citizenship from US Citizenship and Immigration Services. I called Homeland Security and was told that would suffice. The Disney Cruise website indicated it would suffice. I did consider getting her a passport anyways to be safe, but then I ran the risk of the Certificate of Citizenship (which needed to be mailed for the passport) getting lost and then I would have nothing. So, I decided to just go with the CofC.

And just when that concern was put behind me, the tropical weather forecast turned iffy. Isaac was threatening to head up over TN on the day we needed to fly away.

AL0912W5.gif

I was prepared to drive to FL if need be. Which wasn't my preference, but we needed to get to that ship by the afternoon of Sept 2 one way or the other.

Eventually, Isaac decided to head further west.

151338W5_NL_sm.jpg

But between the packing lists, the homeland security documentation concerns, and the weather, I finally decided on Sunday, Aug 26 that it was time to tell INC about my plans.

What? You thought I sprung it on her the morning we left? Nah...I'm not THAT crazy! :rofl2:

She is the primary packer in our household. I needed someone competent to make sure she and the girls were prepared for this trip...a trip of a lifetime! And knowing there are no Walmarts on the ship to bail me out like on camping trips, I need to let her in.

But we did not tell the girls until the morning we left. They found out when INC opened this birthday gift from me.

2012-09-08%252014.54.10.jpg

A Disney Cruise Line Christmas ornament. Kind of a strange birthday gift in September....unless you are going on a cruise. The girls were in a state of disbelief. I actually took some video to capture their reactions, but a minute and a half video of girls sitting with their mouths open isn't exactly interesting trip report material. So I'm going to spare you on that.

And then, within an hour, this was the scene at our back door. And we were loading up the van to head to the airport.

DSCN0001.JPG

DSCN0004.JPG

DSCN0003.JPG

DSCN0005.JPG

DSCN0006.JPG

And we were OFF!!!

Hurry, we need more!

Just posted more!

OK, I'm ready for a cruise!!! :wave1:

I'm ready for another one.

Can't wait to hear all about the fun and surprises!! What a great Dad!

...and my daughter and son-in-law asked Joyce and me to go to Disneyland with them in January. Just think is all of those trips you and INC have in your future!

That's awesome! I guess I have something to look forward to...especially if I continue to pay for these trips. :rofl3:

I am in also

I can understand the approaching collage age thinking--been there done that

But rest assured that they do come back no matter where they are for a Disney trip--been there and DOING that also

Yep! I guess I have a lot of good years ahead of me...God willing.

Yay for surprise cruises, pirate Anna and too much food!! :jumpforjoy

Double :jumpforjoy :jumpforjoy

Then again this could explain the WaWa and WallyWorld charges. You were kicked to the curb, splept in the WaWa's parking lot next to a McD's, needed some pain meds from Wally World, needed new running shoes to escape INC to make it to the WaWa. As far as Layne Bryant. You probably have big hips.

Yes, I do have big hips.

Okay, Dave, we're not so patiently waiting for more!

Yeah yeah, I just posted.

I'm a little late but ready to set sail!!

Doodle not posting until page 2 is like most of us not posting until page 32.

Count me in!

Glad you had time to stop into my report between bouncing all over the United States in yours. :rofl2:

No, do you not realize the position you put the rest of us guys in? A surprise cruise for a birthday present. I am sure that I am not alone in hoping that we read that INC. hated it ns next year you will stick with the toaster or just pretend you "forgot" her birthday.

Uh, she didn't hate it. Sorry. :rofl3: