Pirates of the Tennessean - Dave and INC's Dream Cruise!

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No, just book an aft stateroom. Vibrations are included in your room rate.

Congrats on the funnel vision. I agree with the girls. Rotisserie Chickens or maybe rotisserie monkeys? The monkeys do not have heads. Can't wait for the rest of your trips.

Ok, some of you asked for Gwen's Adventure Planking video, so here it is. If you have 5 minutes to spare it might give you a chuckle. In particular, pay attention at around 4:10 of the video. If yo

We have a trip planned from Boston to Orlando the first week of December, we are taking the train down with our two boys and it will be a surprise for them. We can't wait!

My suggestion, if you can get a sleeper car. Do so.

If not, and only first class is offered (depends on what train and time of day) do so.

I used Amtrak from DC to CHS. never on time and it all depends on the people you have around you. With sleepers or FC, you have limited movement is passengers. In coach (think cattle cars), you will have a lot of movement/foot traffic between cars.

You can take your own snacks, drinks, entertainment. Power outlets by most seats.

Just my .03.

Happy Birthday INC!!

Our travel to the airport, our flight to Orlando, and getting our rental van went off without a hitch. It all went so smoothly it made me wonder why I put myself through those long drives dragging the trailer to the Fort. ::)

DSCN0007.JPG

DSCN0009.JPG

DSCN0011.JPG

DSCN0015.JPG

DSCN0017.JPG

DSCN0026.JPG

DSCN0030.JPG

That's probably enough pictures of us on the airplane.

I had rented a minivan through Priceline before I booked the cruise, and even though we really didn't need a vehicle it ended up being cheaper than booking transfers for the 7 of us to the port. I would highly recommend using Priceline for a rental car if your plans are established. I put in a very low bid and Alamo surprisingly accepted it. Even though it sat at the port for most of the time, it was very nice to have our own vehicle with our own car seat.

As we were arriving in Orlando on Saturday evening and our cruise departed on Sunday, we needed a place to stay for the night. I used some of the Marriott points to book the Residence Inn near MCO. It was a nice place to crash.

DSCN0031.JPG

DSCN0032.JPG

DSCN0033.JPG

We arrived during their free happy hour, so after settling into the room we went downstairs to check it out. They had wings out, so I checked them out. Now, being from Buffalo I do enjoy my wings but I'm not all that picky. I will eat most any wings. As long as they are fried or grilled...at the very least they need to be on the crispy side. Well, the ones at the hotel were baked.

DSCN0038.JPG

No, thank you. The girls had a couple, but they weren't for me.

So we left the hotel to go get some dinner. It was INC's birthday after all! And right up the street was a Miller's Ale House! I do enjoy those, so we went there. Unfortunately, the one near MCO is not that great, at least not on this night. Everything was overly greasy or bland tasting.

Oh well, we wouldn't be going hungry over the next several days, would we? :jumpforjoy

In any case, I did take some pics of our dinner. We started with some loaded french fries.

DSCN0039.JPG

I had baby back ribs. These weren't that bad.

DSCN0043.JPG

Gwen had a chicken sandwich.

DSCN0044.JPG

Emma had some boneless wingy thingys.

DSCN0045.JPG

INC had a salad that looks like about the most disappointing birthday dinner ever.

DSCN0047.JPG

The little ones had typical kid menu garbage. Nothing photo worthy.

At least the Gator season opener was on the TV.

DSCN0042.JPG

And that was about it for our travel day. The next morning, we were meeting up with my parents for breakfast before making the drive over to the port and to the Dream!!!

Coming up....Adventure Planking!!

I say pull them out of school. They grow up WAY too quickly.

Absolutely Dave. I don't understand today's parents reluctance to pull the rug-rats out of school for a week.

Oh no, they can't miss that much school. WHY NOT? It won't make one bit of difference over the long haul.

We did it on a regular basis with all four of our kids and guess what, every one one of them have college degrees and all lead successful and productive lives.

How exciting! I love hearing about surprise trips, we have only been able to pull off one, I either crack and tell them or they figure it out. Cannot wait to hear about your cruise, I really want to try DCL someday.

I have to say that DCL does a top notch job. Now I don't have any experiences with other lines to compare to, but we were pleased. Can you use DVC points on cruises?

My suggestion, if you can get a sleeper car. Do so.

If not, and only first class is offered (depends on what train and time of day) do so.

I used Amtrak from DC to CHS. never on time and it all depends on the people you have around you. With sleepers or FC, you have limited movement is passengers. In coach (think cattle cars), you will have a lot of movement/foot traffic between cars.

You can take your own snacks, drinks, entertainment. Power outlets by most seats.

Just my .03.

Should this be considered our first hijack of the report?

Happy Birthday, INC!! Really who cares what you have for dinner the night before a cruise? But I do have to agree, Dave NO baked wings, they just don't cut it!

No they don't cut it. They are squishy and jiggly. Gross. Unless they are fresh wings that you bake yourself and get crispy. But the ones that are frozen and warmed in the oven...blech!

1. Inc reminds me of a young sigorney weaver

2. I know we make a fuss about Anna but your other girls are gorgeous too

3. You must live up to the smileys

Sigorney Weaver, huh? Does that make me Bill Murray from Ghostbusters, or the alien that bursts out of people's stomachs?

Yeah, that restaurant was not great...but I think we were all so excited nobody cared.

Uh oh, INC has arrived on the scene. I better stay on my toes.

Absolutely Dave. I don't understand today's parents reluctance to pull the rug-rats out of school for a week.

Oh no, they can't miss that much school. WHY NOT? It won't make one bit of difference over the long haul.

We did it on a regular basis with all four of our kids and guess what, every one one of them have college degrees and all lead successful and productive lives.

Even worse, now Lou is here too. But wait, I thought you didn't read trip reports??

Should this be considered our first hijack of the report?

Even worse, now Lou is here too. But wait, I thought you didn't read trip reports??

Sure, but only if Lou is second. And funny thing, I agree with him.

My folks philosophy, she'll learn more at Disney/traveling than the "edumucation" my taxes are paying for.

Great start on the report!! Did you look into stopping at Port Canaveral instead of near MCO the night before? A lot of the hotels there have "sleep & cruise" with free parking and a shuttle while you cruise although I don't know about if you could do it on points. I was so glad we stayed there the night before. Walking on the beach at dusk in Canaveral was a GREAT start to our trip. We also ate at the restaurant right there on the cruise canal.

Trip report, I thought this was just another one of your rants about imaginary people and Disney characters, and those I do read.

Do you actually think people are buying that the great looking woman in the photo, which you refer to as INC, is really your wife?

Sure, but only if Lou is second. And funny thing, I agree with him.

My folks philosophy, she'll learn more at Disney/traveling than the "edumucation" my taxes are paying for.

Yep! And I think my girls will have a greater, longer lasting impact from this family vacation than if they hadn't missed 3 days of Algebra.

Excited to read about your cruise!

Thanks! and glad you are here!

I'm late but here now. Still laughing at the photo bomb.

That lady cracks me up!

Great start on the report!! Did you look into stopping at Port Canaveral instead of near MCO the night before? A lot of the hotels there have "sleep & cruise" with free parking and a shuttle while you cruise although I don't know about if you could do it on points. I was so glad we stayed there the night before. Walking on the beach at dusk in Canaveral was a GREAT start to our trip. We also ate at the restaurant right there on the cruise canal.

I did look into hotels near the Port but there were no Marriott's that made sense, and I wanted to use points. The Residence Inns are nice for us as we can all fit in one room.

Trip report, I thought this was just another one of your rants about imaginary people and Disney characters, and those I do read.

Do you actually think people are buying that the great looking woman in the photo, which you refer to as INC, is really your wife?

I never said I wasn't the luckiest guy alive.

Yep! And I think my girls will have a greater, longer lasting impact from this family vacation than if they hadn't missed 3 days of Algebra.

I took Algebra. I got an A. I even remember a little bit of it.

But what I remember even more are all the great family vacations we took - the things we saw, the people we met, the adventures we had and the terrific times we spent as a family.

I took Algebra. I got an A. I even remember a little bit of it.

But what I remember even more are all the great family vacations we took - the things we saw, the people we met, the adventures we had and the terrific times we spent as a family.

:thumbsup1:

I just love the b&w photo of Anna on the plane. She looks like the happiest little girl on the planet!

She has certainly become a ham for the camera, that's for sure.

Dave,

I bet at some point you were quietly singing this to yourself, weren't you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8F3UE9qFsg

I can honestly say that song was not part of the playlist in my head.

I don't read cruise TR's, I did see the movie Gwen made :thumbsup3: , she is a regular ahhhhh one of them movie guys.

ok ok, great pictures, happy birthday INC :heartsmiley: , great, funny, you're the greatest :superhero: , la dee da, ok, now will you quit calling me and leaving threatening messages, I wrote in the dang TR. :raspberry2: