Pirates of the Tennessean - Dave and INC's Dream Cruise!

Finally caught up again... Dave, this whole truce and at peace with Ms. Snow is not going to last... I've seen the photos... she is not the fairest in the land while your family is around.... You have at least six members in your family that surpass her.... It is a trap... Make sure that she doesn't give them apples at Christmas... I'm just saying... be careful...

:rofl2:

We will be careful, for sure.

And what do you mean "six members"? Am I not included in that? :clint:

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No, just book an aft stateroom. Vibrations are included in your room rate.

Congrats on the funnel vision. I agree with the girls. Rotisserie Chickens or maybe rotisserie monkeys? The monkeys do not have heads. Can't wait for the rest of your trips.

Ok, some of you asked for Gwen's Adventure Planking video, so here it is. If you have 5 minutes to spare it might give you a chuckle. In particular, pay attention at around 4:10 of the video. If yo

I'm finally here!! 17 pages and I finally get to tell you how much I'm loving this TR!!! Dave and Christy, you have the most beautiful family, both inside and out!! Can't wait to meet you all in person some day, but in the meantime, I will continue enjoying this TR! :heartsmiley:

After our dinner at Animator's Palate and a nice stroll along the decks, it was time for the 2nd big show of the cruise....Villains Tonight!

I should say that, my original plan was to skip this show and spend the time swimming and riding the Aquaduck. I had read some reviews that stated this show was the weakest of the offerings. So I was willing for forego it and do something else. But Gwen said she really thought we should see ALL the shows, and that it was only an hour and we could go swimming after. It was hard to argue with that. So we went to the 8:30 showing of Villains Tonight. And it ended up being my favorite show of the cruise! All of us agreed that it was in the top 2 with Believe, and that The Golden Mickeys was #3.

As I mentioned earlier in the report, no photography is allowed in the Walt Disney Theater. So here are the only pics I have, taken prior to the show.

DSCN0349.JPG

DSCN0350.JPG

DSCN0351.JPG

DSCN0352.JPG

DSCN0354.JPG

The Walt Disney Theater is a beautiful venue, and when you are in there you almost forget you are on a cruise ship. It is huge, comfortable and a great place to see a show.

Villains Tonight was hilarious! The star is Hades, God of the Underworld from Hercules. I won't spoil the show for those that haven't seen it and are planning cruises, but the basic premise is that he isn't evil enough and is going to lose his position as ruler of the Underworld unless he can increase the level of evil down there. He invites a variety of villains to help with that task. And the results are funny!

After the show, we went back to the rooms to change. The girls still wanted to ride the AD, and INC and I wanted to check out one of the lounge shows.

This greeted us in our rooms, courtesy of Sana.

A lobster!

DSCN0355.JPG

And a Weiner Dog!

DSCN0356.JPG

The Aquaduck is very colorful at night.

DSCN0357.JPG

DSCN0359.JPG

DSCN0360.JPG

Check out what movie is playing on the FunnelVision. Can you tell what it is?

DSCN0361.JPG

How about now?

DSCN0362.JPG

Those cruise directors coordinate everything, don't they??

After swimming, some of us went into D Lounge to check things out.

DSCN0363.JPG

I have no recollection of what they are doing above....maybe coloring something?

And I also don't remember what was going on up on stage. Maybe the wine hadn't worn off yet...

DSCN0364.JPG

After a while, it was getting kinda late for us, and we were tired. But our night wasn't quite over yet.

We went back to the rooms and got into our jammies. And sometime around 11:30 I called room service. It seems we all had a sweet tooth.

This took care of that problem.

DSCN0365.JPG

DSCN0366.JPG

Hmmm, she doesn't look very sleepy, does she? Maybe that cookie at 11:30 pm wasn't the best idea. :rofl3:

DSCN0367.JPG

And that was the end of Monday. It's hard to believe how much we had done, and it was only the end of our first full day onboard!

We went to bed excited about what the morning would bring....a stop at Castaway Cay!!!

Coming up...

I'm finally here!! 17 pages and I finally get to tell you how much I'm loving this TR!!! Dave and Christy, you have the most beautiful family, both inside and out!! Can't wait to meet you all in person some day, but in the meantime, I will continue enjoying this TR! :heartsmiley:

Awww, thank you! We look forward to the day we can meet y'all too! Thanks for reading...

I got off the Magic two days ago and you are making me want to book a cruise on the Dream right away!

I know the feeling!

Sheez, you are covering a lot of ground here fast, Dave.

I hope I rememember all of my comments.

Let's see . . .

Loved the sunset photo.

Loved the family portrait. Now I regret being a cheapskate and not getting one on my last cruise.

I also loved the Villians Tonight show. Hades had me LOLing the whole time.

Love the room service!

Love the photo of Anna with that wild look in her eye (in the crib). Looks like you were in trouble.

Your Aqua Duck at night photos are great. That reminded me, on our cruise, they were testing a camera that took photos of riders on the Aqua Duck in the tunnel. We never got to see the photos, but they were taking them. Did they do this on your cruise?

TCD

I've been trying to talk David into moving to FL since the mid 70s. Any suggestions?

I don't think I can help you there. NC is a beautiful state. Maybe threaten to drag you all into bankruptcy with your Disney obsession unless you move closer?

Sheez, you are covering a lot of ground here fast, Dave.

I hope I rememember all of my comments.

Let's see . . .

Loved the sunset photo.

Loved the family portrait. Now I regret being a cheapskate and not getting one on my last cruise.

I also loved the Villians Tonight show. Hades had me LOLing the whole time.

Love the room service!

Love the photo of Anna with that wild look in her eye (in the crib). Looks like you were in trouble.

Your Aqua Duck at night photos are great. That reminded me, on our cruise, they were testing a camera that took photos of riders on the Aqua Duck in the tunnel. We never got to see the photos, but they were taking them. Did they do this on your cruise?

TCD

They had a camera on the AD on the left hand side right after you enter the funnel, but I think they were only using it up at the beginning of the ride to determine when to release the next raft. You could see the people ahead of you on the monitor pass that spot, and the CM would then push the green button to move you onto the ride.

They had a camera on the AD on the left hand side right after you enter the funnel, but I think they were only using it up at the beginning of the ride to determine when to release the next raft. You could see the people ahead of you on the monitor pass that spot, and the CM would then push the green button to move you onto the ride.

No, that isn't what I'm talking about.

They had a camera taking flash photographs of you in your tube in the tunnel, right as you went up the second hill on the ride. It had the annoying flash on it just like the camera they have in Space Mountain. It was extra annoying at night.

It was obviously just a test when we were there- and we never got to see the photos. I asked the CM there at the top of the slide, and he said they were testing it to see how it worked. It would be another chance for them to sell guests an expensive photo.

I guess the tests didn't turn out so good.

It's too bad, too. We have a lot of fun with that Space Mountain camera.

TCD

No, that isn't what I'm talking about.

They had a camera taking flash photographs of you in your tube in the tunnel, right as you went up the second hill on the ride. It had the annoying flash on it just like the camera they have in Space Mountain. It was extra annoying at night.

It was obviously just a test when we were there- and we never got to see the photos. I asked the CM there at the top of the slide, and he said they were testing it to see how it worked. It would be another chance for them to sell guests an expensive photo.

I guess the tests didn't turn out so good.

It's too bad, too. We have a lot of fun with that Space Mountain camera.

TCD

That camera was definitely not in use while we were riding. It's too bad too, I do love the Space Mtn camera. Not that I've ever figured out where it is or anything.

Love the pictures. The show sounds fun, Now I want a cookie!!

Me want cookie!!!

Great report so far. The only thing I can't understand is why I'm so hungry...

I can't imagine.

Okay, it has taken me an hour but I am finally caught up...I will tell my family you are the reason dinner is not even started yet!

I love all the food pics, excellent job with those. I also like that DCL let's you bring your own wine to dinner. Your pictures after the wine were too funny. And thank you, thank you, thank you for explaining the Snow White animosity. I would come across references to your issues with her, even in other TRs andi didn't get it. Glad to see you settled your differences ;).

In reference to the crew members work schedules, they do work super hard. But if you ever read the book Cruise Confidential, you'll see they play pretty hard too (when they can find the time). My neighbor's daughter worked as a dancer for several months on a cruise in the Mediterranean and after doing a couple of shows each night she would have to get up early and have duties down at the pool, then rehearsals all afternoon. She didn't renew when her contract was up.

Finally, your family pictures are great. You have a beautiful family!

During our 5 day cruise on the Dream earlier this year, I got to know our wait staff pretty well. They feel more at ease with fellow CMs than they do with regular guests. They let their hair down because they know that other CMs won't file a complaint for some silly reason.

I actually enjoyed the cruise more because of the mutual respect for what we do and by the end of the cruise I felt that I had made some new friends. Not to mention the extras that they did for us.

The myth is that if a CM is waiting on another CM, they don't do as good a job. I've found just the opposite to be true. The service and the laughs were just great.

As I've said before, we take care of our own because we know how challenging it is to be a Disney CM.

I also got a behind the scenes view on hard they all work. If you're happy with the service, be very generous, they've earned it.

I have been surprised several times to find out MDR server working on Deck 9 or clearing tables in Topsiders at lunch. They can serve two seatings at dinner, the pirate misnight buffet, and then serve breakfast the next day.

And the room stewards seem to be working hard up and down the hallway when you get up in the morning, throughout the day, and late into the evening.

In addition to being generous with the tip, it is always good to give them a good word on the end-of-cruise survey, even better to send a letter to let Disney know who really made your vacation shine.

I have been surprised several times to find out MDR server working on Deck 9 or clearing tables in Topsiders at lunch. They can serve two seatings at dinner, the pirate misnight buffet, and then serve breakfast the next day.

And the room stewards seem to be working hard up and down the hallway when you get up in the morning, throughout the day, and late into the evening.

In addition to being generous with the tip, it is always good to give them a good word on the end-of-cruise survey, even better to send a letter to let Disney know who really made your vacation shine.

Yep, it seemed they were really pushing hard for good comments on the comment cards. Even moreso than tips!

I agree with you about the generous tip, but as far as a letter or the survey, not so much.

While the nice comments may show up on a CM's record card, that's about as far as it goes.

Knowing the inner workings and to put it bluntly, letters, notes, or nice comments are non-productive.

Show them the money.

Me too.

Remember when you took Melvin on Space Mountain?

That would have been awesome if you took him on the Aqua Duck!

TCD

Don't give Dave ideas!

Why not??

Sadly, Melvin could not join us for this cruise. Because of his participation if the Federal Moose Protection Program, he is ineligible to receive Passport or any sort of travel Visas. Too bad, but you won't be seeing him in any of these pics.

He may very well be accompanying us to the Fort in December, though.

Okay, it has taken me an hour but I am finally caught up...I will tell my family you are the reason dinner is not even started yet!

I love all the food pics, excellent job with those. I also like that DCL let's you bring your own wine to dinner. Your pictures after the wine were too funny. And thank you, thank you, thank you for explaining the Snow White animosity. I would come across references to your issues with her, even in other TRs andi didn't get it. Glad to see you settled your differences ;).

In reference to the crew members work schedules, they do work super hard. But if you ever read the book Cruise Confidential, you'll see they play pretty hard too (when they can find the time). My neighbor's daughter worked as a dancer for several months on a cruise in the Mediterranean and after doing a couple of shows each night she would have to get up early and have duties down at the pool, then rehearsals all afternoon. She didn't renew when her contract was up.

Finally, your family pictures are great. You have a beautiful family!

Yes, they sure do work hard. We encountered our main server from dinner working the adult pool area during the day. They don't get much time off.

During our 5 day cruise on the Dream earlier this year, I got to know our wait staff pretty well. They feel more at ease with fellow CMs than they do with regular guests. They let their hair down because they know that other CMs won't file a complaint for some silly reason.

I actually enjoyed the cruise more because of the mutual respect for what we do and by the end of the cruise I felt that I had made some new friends. Not to mention the extras that they did for us.

The myth is that if a CM is waiting on another CM, they don't do as good a job. I've found just the opposite to be true. The service and the laughs were just great.

As I've said before, we take care of our own because we know how challenging it is to be a Disney CM.

I also got a behind the scenes view on hard they all work. If you're happy with the service, be very generous, they've earned it.

Our main and assistant servers and our cabin steward were all excellent, and very personable. They are more than willing to talk about their lives both on the ship and back home...especially back home. Sana, our steward, has a wife and 4 boys back in Indonesia. He is going home at the end of this month for a 2 month break. Great guy! We bumped our tips up from the Disney recommendation.

Yep, the surveys are very important to them, and they make that known...especially the restaurant servers. We gave them "excellent" across the board, and they deserved it.

One thing I found curious is that the servers are graded based on the quality of the food. I would think that is out of their control, but that is how DCL does it.