Pirates of the Tennessean - Dave and INC's Dream Cruise!

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No, just book an aft stateroom. Vibrations are included in your room rate.

Congrats on the funnel vision. I agree with the girls. Rotisserie Chickens or maybe rotisserie monkeys? The monkeys do not have heads. Can't wait for the rest of your trips.

Ok, some of you asked for Gwen's Adventure Planking video, so here it is. If you have 5 minutes to spare it might give you a chuckle. In particular, pay attention at around 4:10 of the video. If yo

We were told outright by both our server and the head server that the comment cards are CRITICAL, and that they go a long way toward them being retained and offered new contracts with DCL.

This is what have been told also, and that those with the best comment cards get the best shifts, move to better positions, etc.

Maybe this works differently on land than at sea, Lou?

One thing I found curious is that the servers are graded based on the quality of the food. I would think that is out of their control, but that is how DCL does it.

The only thing would be if the presentation looked bad. Servers are the last line of defense of a bad plate going out.

and that they go a long way toward them being retained and offered new contracts with DCL.

While sharing a coffee in the CM lounge one morning with our wait staff, that is not the sense I got.

While good comments are sought after and may be a factor, whether or not they get retained rests on what their direct supervisor thinks of their overall work performance.

Good comements are the norm and are expected. They have to get good comments just to stay even.

I should be VP of transportation and be making double based on the my record card, but I'm not.

Wow - several great updates since I was able to last read!!!

So, I made a list... I'm a list maker...

First.. on the ladies...

1. Great Tinkerbell - we have seen some rather odd looking ones at WDW

2. Does Aurora always look like she has on a bad wig - or is it just me? Poor girl.

3. Really good Belle – I think she usually tends to resemble Sandra Bullock

4. Glad you and SW made up - maybe it will stick since she's gotten to meet those sweet girls of yours!

5. Love the family pic with Minnie!

6. Your pictures are so good – I'm so glad you bought them ALL - I'm going to budget plenty for pics in case ours turn out well too!

7. Pic of INC and wine bottle - hilarious

8. Anna in the Pack n Play - that sweet girl has NO intentions of going to sleep!

9. Technical question: When do you bump tips?

Lastly, I am worried that I have broken the PJ rule by running to Pizza Hut in my PJs at 10pm to pick up pizza. But the special was on take out only...

Wow - several great updates since I was able to last read!!!

So, I made a list... I'm a list maker...

First.. on the ladies...

1. Great Tinkerbell - we have seen some rather odd looking ones at WDW

2. Does Aurora always look like she has on a bad wig - or is it just me? Poor girl.

3. Really good Belle – I think she usually tends to resemble Sandra Bullock

4. Glad you and SW made up - maybe it will stick since she's gotten to meet those sweet girls of yours!

5. Love the family pic with Minnie!

6. Your pictures are so good – I'm so glad you bought them ALL - I'm going to budget plenty for pics in case ours turn out well too!

7. Pic of INC and wine bottle - hilarious

8. Anna in the Pack n Play - that sweet girl has NO intentions of going to sleep!

9. Technical question: When do you bump tips?

Lastly, I am worried that I have broken the PJ rule by running to Pizza Hut in my PJs at 10pm to pick up pizza. But the special was on take out only...

Thanks for all the comments!

Regarding your question on tips....if you do nothing, DCL will charge your credit card on the last night of the cruise for the suggested tip amounts. If you want to change the amount that you charge to your card, you can visit the Guest Services desk any time before that last night. Guest Services is on Deck 3 near the mid-ship elevators, just off the atrium. Alternatively....your cabin steward will be leaving tip envelopes in your room on the last full day, along with cards which show the standard amount for each person (the steward, the head server, and your server and assistant server). I put the card with the standard amounts in the envelopes and then added what additional tip I wanted to give in cash, and handed the envelopes to them on the last night to thank them for everything.

I am thinking I need to pick up the pace of this report.....it was only a 4 night cruise, and in 8 days of writing I've only covered 2 days! But they were a GREAT 2 days, topped off by our awesome Animator's Palate dinner and Villains Tonight show. But one thing about a Disney Cruise is that, no matter how good a day you have, there's a good chance the next day will be even better (unless it's Debarkation Day). So without further adieu...let's move on to Day 3: Castaway Cay!!

The previous evening when we ordered our cookies and Mickey bars, I had also ordered a carafe of coffee. Why? Well, that way you have coffee waiting for you as soon as you wake up! And it stayed piping hot too! A delicious way to start the day without having to wait for room service or having to walk up to deck 11.

Anna and I were the first ones awake, so I poured a cup of coffee and we sat by the window to watch the water. But it wasn't only water we were watching...we were pulling into Castaway Cay!

DSCN0368.JPG

The maneuvering of the ship was churning up the water.

DSCN0369.JPG

Our first views of the lagoon.

DSCN0371.JPG

DSCN0370.JPG

DSCN0372.JPG

Here is the fake palm tree pointed out in TCD's and Leslie's reports.

DSCN0373.JPG

I guess I appreciate that Disney attempted to make it blend in, but it is kind of ridiculous looking.

DSCN0376.JPG

DSCN0377.JPG

Isabel got up and joined us.

DSCN0379.JPG

We watched until the ship was pretty much stopped, and by then everyone else was up so we got dressed and headed to Cabanas for breakfast.

I had never in my life tried Eggs Benedict, so one of those made it onto my first plate, along with some of that awesome corned beef hash.

DSCN0380.JPG

I loved the eggs benedict! And along with the hash this was an awesome breakfast. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I then wanted some sweet things. Mickey waffles and a raspberry donut.

DSCN0382.JPG

And a plate of fruit.

DSCN0383.JPG

After breakfast we headed back to the rooms to change for the island, and we then headed down to Deck 1 to leave the ship.

When you are standing on the island next to the ship you can comprehend just how massive the Dream is. If you look closely, just to the left of the two ropes mooring the ship, you can see a gangway and the door into the ship. That gives you an idea of how big this thing is.

DSCN0384.JPG

I'm not sure a picture can do it justice. It is just plain huge.

Some workers were sanding a section of the aft. They look like ants, don't they?

DSCN0385.JPG

Not sure what they were doing...but by the time we returned to the ship that afternoon there was no sign they had done anything.

Capn Jack Sparrow greeted us as we left the ship.

DSCN0386.JPG

DSCN0387.JPG

DSCN0388.JPG

DSCN0389.JPG

The professional photographer got a couple of funny shots of this. Jack Sparrow was taking the sunglasses off of Gwen's head here.

DDR-120904-JS_6x8-1248646.jpg

DDR-120904-JS_6x8-1248645.jpg

Pretty funny! He was into the role.

After that encounter, we walked toward the family beach. It is about a 10 minute walk to get to the closest section of beach, which is where we stayed for much of the morning to swim and snorkle.

Here is another shot of the ship while walking away.

DSCN0390.JPG

The walkway.

DSCN0391.JPG

Looking back toward the ship. For the life of me, I don't understand how those things can float and not tip over.

DSCN0392.JPG

I like this picture, especially for the color of the water.

DSCN0393.JPG

When we arrived at the family beach, we found some lounge chairs under a shady palm tree and set up shop there. I rented a couple of tubes and a set of snorkle equipment. The tubes of $6/each for the day, and snorkling equipment is $25/day for the snorkle, goggles and flippers.

And then we hit the water...in the next installment.

After setting up our spot on the beach, we hit the water.

The lagoon at Castaway Cay is gorgeous! The water is so clear you can pretty much see everything. And that includes a TON of fish! So many fish, in fact, that INC discovered she doesn't like swimming with them. :what2: Seriously, the fish were everywhere. Which was pretty cool. But not to INC.

Now Gwen, on the other hand, was in her glory. She has aquariums at home and absolutely loves fish. So she couldn't wait to get her hands on the snorkling equipment and the underwater camera and go off. Which she did. And she took pictures.

Lots, and lots, of pictures. And video. Lots and lots of pictures and video. :rofl2:

I won't bore you with all of the underwater pictures.

There are over 100 of them. So I've selected some of the more interesting ones to bore entertain you with.

First, here are the snorkling people shots.

Stella tried it briefly.

DSCN0401.JPG

Emma also went out for quite a while and loved it. But she didn't take the camera.

Gwen had the camera...which usually means several hundred pictures of Stella.

DSCN0406.JPG

Oh, and I guess one of me.

DSCN0410.JPG

Looks like Gwen has the gear on and is off to explore.

DSCN0412.JPG

DSCN0418.JPG

DSCN0450.JPG

DSCN0452.JPG

DSCN0456.JPG

DSCN0458.JPG

DSCN0460.JPG

DSCN0463.JPG

DSCN0475.JPG

DSCN0478.JPG

DSCN0487.JPG

DSCN0495.JPG

DSCN0499.JPG

DSCN0500.JPG

DSCN0501.JPG

DSCN0502.JPG

Is that enough underwater pics?

I'd say so.

As you can see, there are a lot of neat things to see underwater in the lagoon at Castaway Cay. Including some really cool, natural coral formations that look exactly like Mickey and Minnie. Amazing stuff.

I went out after Gwen and saw some neat things, but she certainly saw more than I did. I did not take the camera, figuring she had already captures pictures of everything. But there is one thing I saw that Gwen did not.

I got up close with a sting ray. It was directly below me for several minutes, and I followed it as it slowly moved along. That was pretty cool. And I wish I had the camera for it. But you'll have to take my word on that one.

So, since I made you sit through all of those underwater photos, the least I can do before ending this post is to give you pics of something awesome and interesting. So, here you go.

DSCN0511.JPG

INC and I enjoyed some adult beverages in the shade. And yes, that is Anna standing on the lounger in the background.

And here is Anna and big sister Emma hitting the hammock.

DSCN0514.JPG

And that pretty much brought us up to lunch time.

Which is coming up in the next update. Plus, we explore Nature's Neti Pot.

More underwater pictures are OK!! You are right those pictures make the ship look huge! Kind of intimidating. LOL. Hanging in for lots more. Great job Dave!!

Edit to add

I totally agree with INC....I hate swimming with fish! I'll take a cemond pond any day over a swim in the fish infested waters. I've done it and was scared to death the whole time!

Awesome update! Love the underwater pics. So very jealous of you finding Minnie!

We were totally blown away by CC. I don't know why we were surprised, with the level of quality that Disney puts into most everything it touches, but we still were. It was such a beautiful island, so easy to be there, so perfect...

Looking forward to the next update!

Leslie

PS - Yvonne - :rofl2: