POLL: When Did You First Camp At The Fort?

79 members have voted

1. 1. In What Decade Did You First Camp At The Fort?

• 1970s
    • 1980s
    • 1990s
    • 2000s
    • 2010s
    • I've Never Camped At The Fort

In which decade did you first camp at the Fort? Or, are you dreaming about your first trip yet that is in the future?

This includes both campsites and cabins...any stay at the Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground.

We know the Otter Spotter started camping at the Fort before it was even built, and in fact I've heard rumors that she was the one who left her lawnmower leaning against that dang tree. But when did you fall in love with the Fort?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My first trip was in 1977 and I was 1 1/2 years old. My second trip was in 1979 and I still have my certificate from my day at the Mouseketeer Clubhouse; which I believe was at the Contemporary Resor

1972 in a converted bread truck RV while my mom was expecting me. Back kicking and screaming the following year.

My first trip to the fort was 1985 & I was 7 yrs old.

DH camped there as a kid around 1974.

We first camped there together in 2004. Long story short, we suddenly found ourselves with a camper, a couple of dogs and 2 weeks vacation time and said, "what the heck, let's drag this thing 1300 miles south"

It was the only trip we made with that camper, but we were hooked. 2 years later we were back with our hybrid and the annual pilgrimage to the Fort was born! It started as a 2 week trip, but by 2007 we were already finagling how to make it 3.

Now DH is trying to find a way to make it 6 months out of the year... :heartsmiley:

My first stay at the Fort was in 1995 in the predecessors of the Cabins- they were called Wilderness Homes (but they were really poorly disguised double wide trailers). Mrs. TCD was lucky enough to have visited in the 70's, and even remembers riding the FWRR.

We made several return visits after our first Wilderness Home stay. Loved the Cabins when they arrived in the late 90's. Tried some tent camping, and then finally we purchased our pop-up camper in 1999. The rest is history.

TCD

Our first stay was June 1988. Our oldest son had just graduated from high school and we were making this our last big trip as a family, before he headed off to the Air Force

. We stayed in the 800 loop for 9 days. We did the Breakfast with Melvin the Moose, The HDDR and spent several of our days at River Country! Good times!!

For us, it was 2001. DD had just turned 2, and she was having serious health problems. I decided very spur-of-the-moment that if she wasn't going to be with us much longer, the one thing I wanted to do was take her to Disney World. DH had fond memories of camping at the Fort as a child, so we rented a Class C, loaded up DD and the dogs, and headed down. We only stayed a few days, and it was the first time I had ever camped. The Fort totally hooked us, and we fell in love with the Fort and with camping. I was profoundly disappointed at first when I realized that all other camping is nothing like the Fort, but I have grown to appreciate that other type over the years, lol! The Fort is still the best though. And DD is still with us and has been 100% healthy for 4 years now (knocking loudly on wood!)

My first trip was in 1977 and I was 1 1/2 years old. My second trip was in 1979 and I still have my certificate from my day at the Mouseketeer Clubhouse; which I believe was at the Contemporary Resort.

Iphone%20thru%209.19.12%20130_zps49a303e8.jpg

We went to the Fort about every two years or so...my dad tells stories about the FWRR....and we have "slides" of it. I like to think I remember the FWRR, but realisticly I probably remember the "slide" show. I believe the FWRR was a seasonal operation at that time and was not running 365/7 as it was when it began.

I do remember hopping on the trams and buses. We always stayed in the 900 loop (Quail Trail), right across from the Meadows. I do remember seeing the old "Wilderness Homes".

River Country was awesome and it sucked when it closed. We always swam and made sand castles on the Bay Lake Beach too.

I remember walking up to the Meadows Trading Post and buying the plastic cubes filled with various types of candy, playing checkers, etc.

One of the best things then was the evening movie and sing a long. I am glad that is still around. The thing my DS always brings up about our trip to the Fort two years ago is watching "Cars" outside with Smores and popcorn, and "exploring" in the golf cart.

4 months and 2 weeks to go!!

My first stay was in December 2001 in the 2000 Loop tent camping.

I enjoyed camping and it was my way to make my annual solo December trip a bit less expensive. (My site was $21 a nite that first year!!)

That lasted till 2006.

Then I met you folks, talked myself into a camper, then the rest is history :)

Love this Dave! Stayed at the Fort for the first time in 1989. We only had one child and I was pregnant with the other one. Stayed in our tent for 2 weeks. We had been to Disney many times before that. My grandparents had a place in Bradenton and we came down every year. My parents always camped someplace midway between the two. It only took the one trip and we were hooked. We have since converted, my sister and brother in law, parents, brother, aunt and uncle and tell everyone else that will listen to us. LOL

My first trip was in June of 1985. My grandparents took my brother, sister and me when my parents were separating. An Uncle, Aunt and cousin met us down there. We stayed in the cabins or wilderness homes as TCD says they were called then. It was also our first time to Disney World.

My first time was in 1979, in our first MH. I think we had his kids with us and I think we stayed in Big Bear, Little Bear loop. Went every year since then until, we sold our camper and then didn't have one for 10 years. The first place we went when we got another one about 10 years ago was the fort. Rich had stayed there before in a tent that came down on him, so he basically was there in a sleeping bag LOL.

What's was reservations, we never made any, just pulled up. The first time we ever had to make them is when we go a camper for a short time, when Matt was 5, 21 years ago, but even after that we have pulled up and gotten. That time I made them for the wrong day ( a Lornaism) and they got us in anyway.

My first trip was in 1979 as a kid with my parents. A few more trips in the 80's and 90's. Then me and the DW went in 2002 and stayed in a tent. Came back 2003 with a 5th wheel and have come back every year since. We have since then bought a new camper, and golf cart to use at the Fort. If it was not for Fort Wilderness we would not even have a camper. But we really enjoy it now. Now my nephews and daughter also love the Fort. I wish we didn't live so far away.

Great thread Dave!

My first stay was around '75 in a tent. I can remember riding the trams all over just for the air flow. We went on the Marshmallow Marsh and then watched Mary Poppins at the campfire area.

I also almost drowned in Bay Lake, and never did get any brain eating amoebas.....or did I?! ???