Grand Gatherings Dining Experience

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this is what you are talking about.

We have done some 'Grand Gathering' dining as part of our family & friends Grand Gatherings we have had over the years, usually at Thanksgiving.

The best Thanksgiving dinners we have had at WDW (with traditional type food) were:

1) Whispering Canyon Cafe - the best food (according to our group), the only drawback was not very many large tables.

2) Liberty Tree Tavern - good food & kind of neat being in that setting.

3) Trail's End - of course

Ohanas is pretty good for a regular GG, but reserve early to try & get the couple of long tables they can set up.

In 2009 (our first trip) We went with my sister and her family. We had the deluxe dining plan and there were 10 of us. We did several grand gatherings. The tony's breakfast was our first. It was our first morning. I cried it was our first encounter with the characters. I thought it was very magical! Tony was a true entertainer. (He is also the real six bits at the hoop dee doo) He sang and introduced the characters Donald, daisy, minnie, goofy. they come around to all of the tables. he invited the kids to do the hookey pokey. At the end he introduced mickey and you get called up by families to see mickey and have your picture made with photopass guy. They also gave us each a special pin and seating for the philharmagic show. It was very cool. My family is going in April and we wish we could do it again. There is only five in our family and you need 8.

Another grand gathering we did was illuminations. It was pretty awesome also. I think it was 2 dining credits. That one had food from the different countries in epcot. They had a story teller who brought the kids up and let them participate in the story. We all thought the food was pretty good there. they bring out a dessert table towards the end which was pretty good also. we had a reserved area to watch illuminations. That was a fantastic show.  They also gave us a special pin. That is another one we wish we had enough people to do again.

The last GG we did was the safari dinner. Two table service credits. It poured so the safari was late getting started. I think the animals had all went to bed. The safari driver was nice, but he was in a hurry and really rushed through the ride. We ended up at tusker house for dinner I didn't really like the food that much. My DH and kids didn't either, But sister and family liked it a little more. We were seated next to a speaker that we all wanted to blow a hole in. (much to loud.) The surprise guests were Timon and Raffiki. everyone had a chance to get up and dance with them. Also each family had time for autographs, and pictures. A special pin was given at the end of this one also. We think we will do the safari early in the morning on this trip and probably get to see a lot more animals. Hope that helps

I don't know if this is what you are talking about.

We have done some 'Grand Gathering' dining as part of our family & friends Grand Gatherings we have had over the years, usually at Thanksgiving.

The best Thanksgiving dinners we have had at WDW (with traditional type food) were:

1) Whispering Canyon Cafe - the best food (according to our group), the only drawback was not very many large tables.

2) Liberty Tree Tavern - good food & kind of neat being in that setting.

3) Trail's End - of course

Ohanas is pretty good for a regular GG, but reserve early to try & get the couple of long tables they can set up.

Thanks all.  Our next trip is going to include the dining plan again and I'm getting some wonderful ideas.

FWrick, it looks like I got my terminology confused on the name.  We tried to get into Liberty tree Tavern on our first trip but we made the plans less than 3 months out and I had to be creative with my reservations!  By the way, reading this thread is making me hungry......

Ghester,

All of them sound like fun.  We have yet to see Illuminations so that would be a nice way to see it... just have to see who I can convince to go with us!  Wish the Safari one could be at the Yak & Yeti as I love the food there.....