Biergarten - Germany Pavilion, Epcot

From the Disney Food Blog. Follow the link for more photos...

Review: Biergarten in Epcot’s Germany

Oct 1st, 2012 by AJ.

We haven’t been to Biergarten in a while here on DFB, so I think it’s time to pay this fun spot a visit!

You’ll find it in Epcot’s Germany Pavilion, and this is THE place to find sausage and beer. They have other stuff, too…but if you don’t like sausage and beer, you may not get the most out of this restaurant.

Let’s take a look!

Atmosphere

Nestled in the back of the Germany Pavilion, Biergarten can be hard to find. It’s to the back, left of the pavilion, so look for a check-in desk in that general area.

As you head past and actually through Sommerfest, the German counter service offering, you enter an area that looks a little like a courtyard, but with a ceiling.

But once you’re fully into the restaurant, the view opens up, and you are transported to evening in a Bavarian Village town square that has been set up in preparation for a party. And you’re invited!

Here, you get the full scope of the themeing, and it’s very quaint. The lamp posts, the waterwheel — even a full moon rising over the building in back! The atmosphere is really lovely.

seating-2-biergarten-600x400.jpg

Seating Area and Old World Charm

This is a good time to point out an interesting feature of Biergarten. Because it’s supposed to mimic the feel of a Bavarian street fair, you are seated at tables of eight. And if your party is smaller than this magic number, you will probably be sitting with strangers. Communal tables are pretty much the rule here — be warned.

seating-3-biergarten-600x400.jpg

Get to Know Your Neighbors at this Streetfest!

If you’re dining at lunchtime, you might be picked to tap the keg. One lucky guest is chosen to do the honors in this daily ceremony. The big perk for the tapper? A free beer to celebrate!

Entertainment is key here at Biergarten. You’ll be serenaded by all manner of instruments throughout your meal, from hand bells and cow bells to those giant alpenhorns!

The guys that make up this oompah band have been here forever, and they do a great job getting you into the spirit of the celebration. While you can’t see it very well, there’s a dance floor in front of the stage, and guests are welcome to kick up their heels! (Kids especially seem to love this feature.)

polka-band-biergarten-600x400.jpg

Playing a Polka

The bell ringers are enormously talented, and it’s really fascinating to watch them perform!

performers-biergarten-600x444.jpg

Performers

My family and I enjoy them so much that we actually shot some video during a recent visit. Here’s one of our favorite shows.

Next, we were treated to some alpenhorn music. When was the last time you could say that?

playing-the-alpenhorn-biergarten-600x400.jpg

Playing the Alpenhorn

Of course, during the show you should be eating and drinking! Let’s hit the buffet!

Eats

Biergarten is offers an all-you-care-to enjoy selection of German-style favorites. If you leave hungry, then it’s your own fault. icon_wink.gif

The perfect way to kick off this celebration is with a beer. You’re in Germany after all, right? And how perfect is a drink menu shaped like a beer stein?

biergarten-menu-500x432.jpg

Biergarten Drink Menu

There are some really terrific selections here. If you need guidance, be sure to ask your server, who will be knowledgeable about the varieties.

biergarten-menu-beer-414x525.jpg

Biergarten Beer Menu -- click for larger image

Something wonderful to note: in true Oktoberfest tradition, you can get a LITER of Beer! The mind boggles at the sight of this! To my knowledge, this is the only place in Epcot that you can order this quantity in a single serving. It’s huge!

Beer-biergarten-380x625.jpg

A Full Liter of Beer!

Once you contemplate (and begin to quench) your thirst, it’s time to move on to the food. The buffet is two-sided, and the left and right lines are almost identical (we’ll highlight the one difference we noticed when we talk desserts a little later on). So don’t be worried that you’re missing something on the other side.

Pick the shortest line and go with it.

buffet-area-biergarten-600x400.jpg

Buffet Area

You’ll start with a Selection of Salads. I didn’t want to take up valuable tummy real estate here, but if you’re so inclined, go for it.

Salads-and-House-Made-Dressings-Biergarten-600x316.jpg

Cabbage Salad, Bean Salad, Mixed Greens, Beet Salad, Tomato Salad, Cucumber Salad, Creamy Herb Dressing, Tarragon Dressing

Next, you come to a group of slightly more interesting Cold Fare, including a cold sausage selection that somewhat resembles charcuterie, plus meatballs, a sausage salad, and macaroni and potato salads. Did you know you could put sausage in a dish and still call it salad? Me neither!

Macaroni-Salad-Sausage-Salad-German-Sliced-Pickles-German-Potato-Salad-Sausage-Selection-and-Meatballs-Biergarten-600x319.jpg

Cold Sausage Selection, German Sliced Pickles, Meatballs, Butter, Sausage Salad, Macaroni Salad, and German Potato Salad

Sausage-Selection-Up-Close-biergarten-600x367.jpg

Cold Sausage Selection - Up Close

I didn’t expect much from the Cauliflower Soup, but it was quite good. Thick, creamy, and savory, it still had a delicate flavor.

Don’t fool yourself though. Delicate flavor does not equal light. I’m reasonably sure you aren’t saving any calories here!

Cauliflower-Soup-biergarten-600x433.jpg

Cauliflower Soup

The Breads are more than just a place-taker on your plate…these Pretzel Rolls are famously divine! Everyone loves them at Le Cellier, and here, you can have as many as you want, too!

Assorted-Breads-biergarten-484x625.jpg

Assorted Breads and Rolls

If I had to pick a favorite place to camp out on this buffet, it would be right here. Both the Roasted Potatoes and German Sausages with Sauerkraut are fantastic.

Roasted-Potatoes-and-German-Sausage-Biergarten-600x271.jpg

Roasted Potatoes and German Sausages with Sauerkraut

This Spaetzle was tasty as well. I did not, however, try the Veal Sausage. It was altogether a little too white and scary for me. Weigh in below, Readers: did I miss out?

Spatzel-and-Bavarian-Veal-Sausage-biergarten-600x263.jpg

Spatzel and Bavarian Veal Sausage

More Pretzel Rolls! And a Warm German Potato Salad for those of you who don’t enjoy the cold version.

Pretzel-Rolls-and-Warm-German-Potato-Salad-biergarten-600x253.jpg

Pretzel Rolls and Warm German Potato Salad

The Carving Station may change up a bit, but during our visit, we sampled German Meat Loaf and Pork Roast, with a rich Red Wine Sauce on the side.

German-Meatloaf-Pork-Roast-and-Red-Wine-Sauce-biergarten-600x339.jpg

Carving Station with German Meat Loaf, Pork Roast, and Red Wine Sauce

There are also lots of different Sauces to accompany your carved meats. Choose from Apricot Chutney, Applesauce, Sweet and Regular Mustard, Curry Ketchup (fancy!), and Regular Ketchup. My favorite is the Applesauce.

Sweet-Mustard-Apple-Sauce-Apricot-Chutney-Curry-Ketchup-Ketchup-and-Mustard-biergarten-228x625.jpg

Apricot Chutney, Applesauce, Sweet and Regular Mustard, Curry Ketchup and Regular Ketchup

There is a selection of Fish and Chicken for those who prefer a lighter meat option. Options include Salmon in Dill Sauce, and Roast Chicken.

Salmon-in-Dills-Sauce-Roast-Chicken-and-Sauteed-Green-Beans-Biergarten-600x346.jpg

Salmon in Dill Sauce, Roast Chicken, and Sauteed Green Beans

There are also warm Meatballs to contrast with the cold ones you saw earlier. And here, you finally run into Schnitzel — a chicken version. The traditional savory brown sauce known as Hunter’s Sauce is the perfect topping.

Meatballs-Hunters-Sauce-and-Chicken-Schnitzel-Biergarten-600x278.jpg

Meatballs, Hunter's Sauce, and Chicken Schnitzel

You’ll find all of your traditional favorites here, like Braised Cabbage and another Spaetzle — this one with cheese. A couple of American favorites round out the offering.

Red-Cabbage-biergarten-600x330.jpg

Red Cabbage

Cheese-Spaetzle-biergarten-600x357.jpg

Cheese Spaetzle

Sauteed-Green-Beans-and-Mac-and-Cheese-biergarten-600x214.jpg

Sauteed Green Beans and Macaroni and Cheese

If you think you have room (and I hope you saved some), you should definitely check out desserts. There’s an assortment of fresh fruit available.

Fresh-Apples-biergarten-600x228.jpg

Fresh Apples and Oranges

The dessert buffet is the only place we found a minor difference in the two lines. One side featured grapes as the fresh fruit, while the other had watermelon.

My favorite here? I combined the Red Berry Compote with the Vanilla Sauce to make one of the most delicious sweets I’ve ever tasted! Really! I had three.

You can also choose from Bavarian Cheesecake, Vanilla Pudding, and Chocolate Mousse Cake.

Bavarian-Cheesecake-Vanilla-Pudding-Vanilla-Sauce-Red-Berry-Compote-Watermelon-Chocolate-Mousse-Cake-biergarten-600x271.jpg

Vanilla Sauce, Red Berry Compote, Watermelon, Chocolate Mousse Cake, Bavarian Cheesecake, and Vanilla Pudding

There is yummy delicious Apple Strudel as well, and while I didn’t taste the Florentine Cookies, they were quite popular.

Apple-Strudel-biergarten-435x625.jpg

Apple Strudel

Florentine-Cookie-biergarten-479x625.jpg

Florentine Cookies

What a completely delicious and fun lunch time experience within Epcot!

Overall

Biergarten is a very, very fun place to eat. While the food probably won’t bowl you over, it’s quite good and plentiful and perfectly suited for the atmosphere. And the entertainment and surroundings really do deliver that magical Disney experience of transporting you to another place and time.

If you happen to be a fan o’ meat, you will be delighted as you try all the different sausages and other offerings. And the beer! Yes. The beer.

If there is one word of caution, it’s for the shy folks out there. This is meant to be a communal dining experience, so unless you book with a party of eight, your chances of sitting with strangers are pretty high. If you’re completely mortified by this possibility, try speaking to your server. They may be able to move you to another table if it’s a slow day. Or you could just try seating your least shy person next to your dining companions, and let him bridge the gap! (That’s what we did!)

The restaurant is underrated in my opinion, and you can usually score an Advanced Dining Reservation fairly easily here. Take advantage of that.

In Epcot, there’s just no better party for a beer and meat lover than Biergarten.

Are you a Biergarten fan? Leave us a comment and tell us your favorites!

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/10/01/review-biergarten-in-epcots-germany/

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm gonna have a different vote here. I "like" Biergarten, but I don't "love" it. I was raised on GREAT German food from my grandmother, and we have a REALLY GOOD German restaurant in Huntsville tha

Okay, here we go. Pull up a chair, kiddies. My wife and I went for lunch one day. It was hot, and I was thirsty so I ordered a large beer. For those who have never been to the Biergarten, the l

Not to sound like Larry, but IMHO, this is the best restaurant on property and probably one of the few that has retained its character despite the "free dining" attack on Disney cuisine. Anyone who will tell you this food is not authentic either has no real German heritage or has never been to Germany or both. Eating here is like eating at my Grandmas house. Makes me want to sit down and cry like a baby.

Let me tell you sometime about why I have been banned for life from the Biergarten.

This review has pushed me over the edge. I have made a reservation for January.

You will be very happy you did!! It was hands down our favoite place. The kids found something they all liked and all left with full tummies. The food is very authentic. It is like sitting in my Oma's kitchen. Loved it. We didn't know about it until our last trip and now I feel cheeted we have missed it this long. It will always be a stop on the rest of our trips. Can't wait to see the pictures of your girls here Dave. They open the dance floor during the show.

You will be very happy you did!! It was hands down our favoite place. The kids found something they all liked and all left with full tummies. The food is very authentic. It is like sitting in my Oma's kitchen. Loved it. We didn't know about it until our last trip and now I feel cheeted we have missed it this long. It will always be a stop on the rest of our trips. Can't wait to see the pictures of your girls here Dave. They open the dance floor during the show.

I've always wanted to go, as I grew up in a German household and love the food. Boy, do I miss my Gramma's cooking! But my kids were never fans...until we went to a German restaurant for my birthday this year. Everybody was happy with their meal.

I'm gonna have a different vote here. I "like" Biergarten, but I don't "love" it. I was raised on GREAT German food from my grandmother, and we have a REALLY GOOD German restaurant in Huntsville that has been here for over 50 years. (Started by a German family that came when all the Germans working for Dr. Von Braun came to Huntsville).

Hmmm, think I'll go there for lunch today :)

I'm gonna have a different vote here. I "like" Biergarten, but I don't "love" it. I was raised on GREAT German food from my grandmother, and we have a REALLY GOOD German restaurant in Huntsville that has been here for over 50 years. (Started by a German family that came when all the Germans working for Dr. Von Braun came to Huntsville).

Hmmm, think I'll go there for lunch today :)

Lucky you!

• 6 months later...

I want to go there, but the food just doesn't look good to me. Am I the only one?

Same here. This would need to be a free dining trip for me. My husband and the boy would probably not appreciate the food. I just think it looks fun but not much I really want to eat.

The food is better than it looks!  After 20 or so years I finally talked David into going to Biergarten again during our October 2012 trip.  We both really enjoyed it and were glad we went.  Dollar wise, it's a good value.

That being said, it won't be an every trip experience.  The entertainment was way too noisy for us.  If you've seen it once, that's enough. 

If you like kraut and sausages, then you will be pleased.  I like both, so I was happy.  But in all honesty if WDW had a buffet of Mexican, Chinese, French, or Greek food I'd go there instead.  I tend to like my food a bit spicier than Biergarten. 

Is it sometime yet?

Yeah FWG, spill it.

I want to go there, but the food just doesn't look good to me. Am I the only one?

Okay, here we go. Pull up a chair, kiddies. My wife and I went for lunch one day. It was hot, and I was thirsty so I ordered a large beer. For those who have never been to the Biergarten, the large beer is very large. It was cold and smooth and delicious. About the time I finished it, the first show of the day was going to start. They started the show by selecting someone from the audience who likes beer. Of course, my hand shot up and I was shouting "Right here". I got picked to be the honorary Burgermeister and lead the ceremony of tapping the first keg of beer. Afterwards, I was given a free beer, not as large as the one I had just had but pretty large nonetheless, and led the first toast. It was time to drink, and the crowd loved me and was yelling "Chug, chug, chug'" So, I reached down deep and summoned up all that college experience and chugged the thing, much to the crowd's delight. Now I should point out that, while the other patrons of the restaurant were thoroughly entertained, FWGirl was not seeing the humor. She had gotten the check and was ready to exit. I insisted on paying but damn, I could not do the math for the tip. For some reason the numbers were just not making sense. So I did the best I could and paid the bill. The waitress was thrilled, I was happy, but FWGirl was silent for the afternoon. It wasn't until later that she informed me that I had tipped the waitress at least 50 bucks. She also informed me that I would never go there again. And so I have been banned for life from the Biergarten.

Okay, here we go. Pull up a chair, kiddies. My wife and I went for lunch one day. It was hot, and I was thirsty so I ordered a large beer. For those who have never been to the Biergarten, the large beer is very large. It was cold and smooth and delicious. About the time I finished it, the first show of the day was going to start. They started the show by selecting someone from the audience who likes beer. Of course, my hand shot up and I was shouting "Right here". I got picked to be the honorary Burgermeister and lead the ceremony of tapping the first keg of beer. Afterwards, I was given a free beer, not as large as the one I had just had but pretty large nonetheless, and led the first toast. It was time to drink, and the crowd loved me and was yelling "Chug, chug, chug'" So, I reached down deep and summoned up all that college experience and chugged the thing, much to the crowd's delight. Now I should point out that, while the other patrons of the restaurant were thoroughly entertained, FWGirl was not seeing the humor. She had gotten the check and was ready to exit. I insisted on paying but damn, I could not do the math for the tip. For some reason the numbers were just not making sense. So I did the best I could and paid the bill. The waitress was thrilled, I was happy, but FWGirl was silent for the afternoon. It wasn't until later that she informed me that I had tipped the waitress at least 50 bucks. She also informed me that I would never go there again. And so I have been banned for life from the Biergarten.

:rofl2:  :rofl2:  :rofl2:  :rofl2:

Awesome story!!!!

That said, I can see why FWG does NOT think it was awesome.

Not to sound like Larry, but IMHO, this is the best restaurant on property and probably one of the few that has retained its character despite the "free dining" attack on Disney cuisine. Anyone who will tell you this food is not authentic either has no real German heritage or has never been to Germany or both. Eating here is like eating at my Grandmas house. Makes me want to sit down and cry like a baby.

I booked this for our upcoming trip based on one of your other positive recommendations.   I can't wait to try it.    I love German food...

$50, huh?  Admit it...it was the dirndl. 

TIPS= To Insure Proper Service.

A typical person tips 15-20% of the total bill for good service.

Biergarten adult lunch. $ 28.00 each. = $ 56.00

One liter pilsner. $ 13.00 each. = $ 13.00

Glass of wine for the Mrs. (optional)= $ 11.00

Free 1/2 liter of Weiss beer (if pd for) = $ 7.50

2 adult one day passes to Epcot. =$189.58

Total bill. = $277.08

Tip. = $ 50.00

Percentage tipped for good service. 18%

So please explain to me why she's upset?

Sounds like you had a great time.

If anything the waitress should be upset with you for tipping her only 18%.

Is she mad because you were being cheap?