Athens to Ocala...Suggestions?

Our trip is nearly upon us...First time with the TT...We will be stopping at the Northgate RV Travel Park on our first night down (Athens, AL). We want to get to Ocala RV camp Resort for our second night, leaving us only a short jaunt from the Fort. What is the best route from Athens to Ocala, considering speed limits, traffic and my main concern, fuel stops?

Will this be a weekday, or Sat/Sunday?

If weekday, if you can time it to get through Atlanta between 9-11am Eastern, or 1-3pm Eastern or after 7pm Eastern, I would say, get on I-65 South to Birmingham, I-20 East to Atlanta, then I-75 South to Ocala. Go straight through downtown Atlanta, don't take the bypass. DO take the bypass around Macon. Also, check the Braves playoff schedule, and see if they are playing at home. Check the Georgia Dome schedule and see if anything is going on, also see if there is a race at Atlanta Speedway.

However, if you don't think you can meet that timing and don't mind four lane surface roads, then take I-65 South, then US 231 South through Dothan, etc., then I-10 East, then I-75 South to Ocala.

Bob can tell you what exit he gets off of I-65 to 231.

Thanks, Carol...Looking to avoid Atlanta altogether. Our total hookup length is a few feet greater than a Greyhound and I have not had any experience with pulling it in big cities....How are the state/US highways in Alabama & Georgia (US-280, US-231, 90, etc.). Need lots of space when I pull in to a gas station.

Carol: what did you hate about the rote mentioned above? Also, headed towards Auburn, what are the roads like that take you to

I-75? Which route do you normally take? I really want to avoid Atlanta. The way they drive there is just crazy!! Also, just looking for some different scenery since this will be a much slower drive than we are used to. I am thinking if we aren't seeing the same old things the whole way down (we usually do go through Atlanta), it won't seem as slow.

I just don't like surface roads with lots of lights or getting behind a tractor or cow truck or log truck going 25 MPH, we are in Ala "f***" bama (quoted from My Cousin Vinny)

Give me the interstate and let me roll.

Like I said, I deal with Atlanta by timing it correctly. We generally leave in the afternoon after 2pm, or at 6am or 10am. That puts us in Atlanta at optimum times.

We've gone through Atlanta so many times now that we know exactly which lane to get over to and get over as soon as possible and stay put. We do go directly through Downtown and rarely have any problems. (Also, our navigation helps telling us which lanes drop off and which go straight well in advance.)

We go the 231 route and don't have any problems. It is all 4 lane. You do go thru some small towns but not really that bad. If you go the 231 route at Montgomery from I-65 take I-85 east to exit 9 (Taylor rd) to 231. It is all 4 lane. There are a couple of nice campgrounds on route 231.