Need a plan....ideas and suggestions welcomed!

We are coming from Indiana....leaving December 27/28 'ish.....and because of our late-decision on a our "last-minute" vacay we aren't able to get ressies at the Fort till January 2.....So we are trying to figure out where to stay from the Dec 28-Jan 2.....My husbands grandparents are snow birds staying in Dade City, and my boys want to visit Legoland 1 maybe 2 days.....So what are some fun campgrounds around these locations(I know none compare to the FORT, but.....) that would be good for us to stay in?

We currently have a pup....but are looking to upgrade within the month to a ClassA(older) or TT......So we really don't have our arrangements TOTALLY in order...and I've never stayed anywhere in this area of Florida besides at the Fort. Because if I drive this far down--there's no where else I'd rather be....so unless alot of cancellations come along--I need to find other arrangements.....

and I'm kinda lost---I look at everything, and keep thinking "eh,...its not the Fort" LOL!

If you find a place that takes reservations without a cancellation penalty I'd make one, but I'd also check with Judy asap and see if she can get you in. In the time it takes you to make a reservation somewhere else, it is possible she could get you a site at the Fort. She can sometimes come up with reservations that you or I can not.

I have been searching for a campground that I would be willing to stay at for a few days (if we can't get ressies at ft. wilderness)....So far the two campgrounds that seem to have a good reputation is KOA Kissimmee & Tropical Palms Resort. Honestly the cost seems to be about the same. Tropical Palms seems to have a roach problem (but all of these were about the cabins not the campsites themselves)

I was told not to hold my breath about getting into the Fort before New Years.....but thats where I'd really like to be? sigh

I wouldn't lose sleep over what people probably think of as "roaches." They're likely water bugs. We call them Palmetto Bugs up here in SC. They come in looking for water, not to breed or as an indication that you don't clean or whatever.

They're big and look gross, but that's about it. They're all over the Fort, too. I've seen quite a few run by when I've been outside.

I have been searching for a campground that I would be willing to stay at for a few days (if we can't get ressies at ft. wilderness)....So far the two campgrounds that seem to have a good reputation is KOA Kissimmee & Tropical Palms Resort. Honestly the cost seems to be about the same. Tropical Palms seems to have a roach problem (but all of these were about the cabins not the campsites themselves)

I was told not to hold my breath about getting into the Fort before New Years.....but thats where I'd really like to be? sigh

Stefa70 just stayed at Tropical Palms and is writing about it in her trip report: Stefa70's Tropical Palms TR

She hasn't mentioned anything about roaches yet.

TCD