Do Golf Carts Have The Right of Way?

We arrived at the fort about two hours ago and my husband was already almost in a fist fight. My family (sans Momma and Baby) we riding their bikes through the loop (200) and they were yelled at to get out of the way. Now my 8 year old is just learning how to ride without training wheels - he is a bit "all over the place" - but come on - yelling at a little guy to get out of the way - hold your freakin horses. All I can say is that guy is lucky it wasnt Momma bear on the lead bike - he would be having an 18 speed surgically removed right about now.

The way I read this: http://www.fortfiends.net/_/info/golf-cart-rentals-disney-fort-wilderness-and-r100 carts drivers have to keep an eye out for bicyclers. I would assume that means don't threaten to run them over or yell at them!

As it says "Florida Rules of the Road" apply. Cars and or carts "DO NOT" have the right of way.when a bike is in front of them just as it would be on a road. The cart or car should pass the cyclist when it can be done safely. And as Carol said, "Speed limit in the loops is 3 mph". for cars, carts and RV's.

This may be one of those rare moments where we get to hear both sides of a story.

This happened to me today, about the same time you are referring to, so it may very well have been me who yelled at your son.

BUT, it was not in the 200 loop. We were on Big Pine Drive just passing the 300 loop. There was a father and two little boys riding their bikes down the street. The father was to the right of the road with the two boys riding side by side close to the yellow center line. As far as I could tell, the father wasn't paying close attention to the kids. A quick glance to be sure they were still there was all.

We pulled behind them and called out that we were passing them on the left and the littlest boy swerved closer to the yellow line. We called again. No response from any of the bikers. So I yelled louder to please move to the right so we could pass. The little ones were still side by side and swerving all over the road. I did not think it was safe for someone so young to be riding that way on a major road. We all remember the bus accident not long ago.

So I screamed that this was a road and they needed to get over. At that point, the little one moved behind the other child and to the right of the street.

I will get on my soap box for a min and say that if your child is just learning to ride, why would you take them out on a major road where large vehicles travel regularly and not pay attention to them? If it were my kids, I would be behind them so I could watch them like a hawk, at the least. But ultimately, they would be on the safe sidewalks so there is no chance at all of them getting hit.

So, if this was your family, you can see that it was not a rudely yelled comment. It escalated and was yelled with the safety of the kids in mind, not our convenience.

If it were in a loop, I would have waited as I always do for the bikes to proceed. But this was a major road.

Here is a link to the Florida rules for bicycle use on roadways.

http://www.floridabi...PEGLEG_2012.pdf

"Persons riding bicycles upon a roadway shall not ride more than two abreast except on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles. Persons riding two abreast shall not impede traffic when traveling at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions existing, and shall ride within a single lane."

Again, this was not done in malice or for our convenience. If this was your family, Im sorry I had to yell at your son, but it was done with his safety in mind.

This may be one of those rare moments where we get to hear both sides of a story.

This happened to me today, about the same time you are referring to, so it may very well have been me who yelled at your son.

BUT, it was not in the 200 loop. We were on Big Pine Drive just passing the 300 loop. There was a father and two little boys riding their bikes down the street. The father was to the right of the road with the two boys riding side by side close to the yellow center line. As far as I could tell, the father wasn't paying close attention to the kids. A quick glance to be sure they were still there was all.

We pulled behind them and called out that we were passing them on the left and the littlest boy swerved closer to the yellow line. We called again. No response from any of the bikers. So I yelled louder to please move to the right so we could pass. The little ones were still side by side and swerving all over the road. I did not think it was safe for someone so young to be riding that way on a major road. We all remember the bus accident not long ago.

So I screamed that this was a road and they needed to get over. At that point, the little one moved behind the other child and to the right of the street.

I will get on my soap box for a min and say that if your child is just learning to ride, why would you take them out on a major road where large vehicles travel regularly and not pay attention to them? If it were my kids, I would be behind them so I could watch them like a hawk, at the least. But ultimately, they would be on the safe sidewalks so there is no chance at all of them getting hit.

So, if this was your family, you can see that it was not a rudely yelled comment. It escalated and was yelled with the safety of the kids in mind, not our convenience.

If it were in a loop, I would have waited as I always do for the bikes to proceed. But this was a major road.

"Persons riding bicycles upon a roadway shall not ride more than two abreast except on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles. Persons riding two abreast shall not impede traffic when traveling at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions existing, and shall ride within a single lane."

Again, this was not done in malice or for our convenience. If this was your family, Im sorry I had to yell at your son, but it was done with his safety in mind.

Sounds like you did the right thing to me.

It figures - always interesting to hear both sides. Im not going to justify our parenting decision to go on a bike ride at a campground - or try to convince you that my husband was paying attention to my kids - thats just nonsense - of course he was. I will say thats its lucky my husband is a teddy bear - and if it was you - I might suggest you watch your tone with strangers - especially when it it comes to dealing with other peoples kids. Not everyone is as friendly - if it was me with them it probably would have escalated. I guess I should also be appreciative that you didnt run over my rampaging lunatic bycycle riding family - thanks.

Had a case the other day when I was picking up a pop up and 3 little kids flew around me as I was leaving and almost swerved into my car. I didn't see them coming from behind as they were flying through and I wasn't. They were so close when they went around me I thought they may have hit me. So much for going slow. I have been followed very closely by kids on bikes too. If I had to stop, which I do, they would ram me from behind. The 1500 loop and 2000 are the worst for this.

Had a case the other day when I was picking up a pop up and 3 little kids flew around me as I was leaving and almost swerved into my car. I didn't see them coming from behind as they were flying through and I wasn't. They were so close when they went around me I thought they may have hit me. So much for going slow. I have been followed very closely by kids on bikes too. If I had to stop, which I do, they would ram me from behind. The 1500 loop and 2000 are the worst for this.

When we were trying to get around the 1300 loop there were unsupervised kids riding full speed around and around the loop with no parents. One of them was on a bike with training wheels. That was worrisome, but then they kept on when we were trying to back in to the site. I finally said, "please, wait until we get backed in to the site" to one of the older kids about 10 maybe. That worked for about two minutes. I thought I would have a breakdown before we could get out of the way.

It is very difficult when you have a large vehicle to see the tiny bikes and kids on scooters. Elaine, I'm glad David was out there with him! I just hope that everyone is as careful and worries as much as I do when driving through the loops. Don't get me started on the golf carts zooming through.

I guess that is one benefit to the slow cart we have, the kids will be asking us to move so they can get around! :rofl:

It figures - always interesting to hear both sides. Im not going to justify our parenting decision to go on a bike ride at a campground - or try to convince you that my husband was paying attention to my kids - thats just nonsense - of course he was. I will say thats its lucky my husband is a teddy bear - and if it was you - I might suggest you watch your tone with strangers - especially when it it comes to dealing with other peoples kids. Not everyone is as friendly - if it was me with them it probably would have escalated. I guess I should also be appreciative that you didnt run over my rampaging lunatic bycycle riding family - thanks.

I think that maybe there's a little bit of blame on both sides. Of course you should be able to take your family for a bike ride and not be yelled at. But perhaps the sidewalks or riding in a single file line might be safer and a little more considerate of others on the road.

And you should be able to drive your cart in a manor that is consistent with the rules of the road.

And I know how I am and if I tried to ask someone to move over Twice i might be a little frustrated and the third time I said something it might be louder and maybe with a little bit of anger in my voice.

Now lets share a drink or some BACON and laugh about this unfortunate episode. Because I know we live in a great country were golf cart drivers and cyclists can share one road.

We have a place at a resort on a local lake and every holiday weekend, I.e. Memorial Day, 4th of July. The resort fills up with kids on bikes, scooters, four wheelers, and golf carts, and the kids run wild. Last year a 10 year old was driving a golf cart by his self and hit my neighbors parked 6 month old GMC 3/4 ton HD Duramax diesel. Fortunately the kid wasn't hurt but his parents ended up paying over $1500 for damages. I don't think that kid will be allowed on another golf cart.

Some parents, I think just think its vacation let the kids have fun and run wild. And when their kid gets hurt it'll be your fault for not watching out for them. Please parents remind your kids to drive/ride carefully and pay attention to where they are going. None of us want to see any child get hurt.

When we are in our golf cart we always move to the side of the road for any cars, buses or trucks to pass us. When in the loops we always move over to allow any RVs coming in to pass and get into their site. And we move for people on bikes and walking. I have children and granchildren, as all of you know, and it scares me to see these young children on the roads (even in the loops) with no one supervising them. And we do not allow our grandchildren who do not have a license drive our golf cart.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what one can do when we do see an underage driver? Do we follow them to see what site they are in and then report them? If we do report them will the Disney folks do anything about it?

We have had to move off the side of the roadway, in the loops, to keep our children from being hit in their wheel chairs.

Sometimes I wonder where courtesy and caring went. :soapbox:

When we are in our golf cart we always move to the side of the road for any cars, buses or trucks to pass us. When in the loops we always move over to allow any RVs coming in to pass and get into their site. And we move for people on bikes and walking. I have children and granchildren, as all of you know, and it scares me to see these young children on the roads (even in the loops) with no one supervising them. And we do not allow our grandchildren who do not have a license drive our golf cart.

Very well put. When I plop down in the seat of my golf cart, it's usually just to cruise in no particular direction and for no particular reason. Just to get out and see "what's what" and feel a nice breeze. It's a very relaxing part of my vacation

Obviously, only the people who were there know what happened in the incident involving Whip's family.

But, this calls attention to the fact that there is a huge problem with unsupervised children on bicycles at the Fort.

There isn't a trip that goes by where I don't see very young chlidren out riding around on bikes with no parent in sight. Most of the time, the kids don't have helmets on.

I also always see kids on skateboards, which supposedly are not allowed at the Fort.

It's high time that those idiot rangers do something about this instead of harassing guests about how they park on their sites.

TCD

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what one can do when we do see an underage driver? Do we follow them to see what site they are in and then report them? If we do report them will the Disney folks do anything about it?

We have had to move off the side of the roadway, in the loops, to keep our children from being hit in their wheel chairs.

Sometimes I wonder where courtesy and caring went. :soapbox:

Any time I see a violation of the rules, I find a ranger and give them a description of what I saw (to include cart number if a Disney cart or describe the cart if personal) and where it was. I am not sure if anything is ever done, but in my mind, they take action against it.

I have seen the rangers stop carts and correct problems, even making some folks walk from an overcrowded cart. So they are trying.

I know Ive mentioned it to some cart drivers that they were breaking the rules and they were appreciative because they did not know they were (I know we all get the rules in our packets and they have to sign a form when renting a Disney cart, but most people do not read that stuff). So if youre comfortable doing that.

Obviously, only the people who were there know what happened in the incident involving Whip's family.

But, this calls attention to the fact that there is a huge problem with unsupervised children on bicycles at the Fort.

There isn't a trip that goes by where I don't see very young chlidren out riding around on bikes with no parent in sight. Most of the time, the kids don't have helmets on.

I also always see kids on skateboards, which supposedly are not allowed at the Fort.

It's high time that those idiot rangers do something about this instead of harassing guests about how they park on their sites.

TCD

This bothers me greatly at the Fort more than anywhere else. The loops are narrow and you cannot see around the corners to keep an eye on the kids. Then you have allot of large vehicles with some being driven by novice drivers. There is just way too much to look out for, much less a kid whizing the wrong way down the loop on their bike or skateboard. They come within inches of these vehicles and dont seem to pay any attention. Then when youre trying to back in they ride right behind you.

My "kids" are all grown up and I still keep a watchful eye on them at any campground. They were taught to stop whenever a rig comes in and wait until it is passed or parked to go anywhere near it.

But, in this day and age, responsibility rests with everyone but the kid.

Devores, it sounds like we may have crossed paths, and I am sorry if it was us. My two cents for what they are worth... I have taught my children the rules of the road, and I frequently look behind me to see what they are doing. One safety concern I have with both riding a bike and a golf cart on Ft. Wilderness property is that golf carts have no horn or signal light capability. The only time I heard the person that yelled was when they were passing me, saying "Get off the road". Electric golf carts do not generate a lot of noise. I agree that there are many children just "cut loose" on the Fort, and I do not want to be considered one of those parents. If you happen to swing by our site again, Whip and I would be more than happy to meet you!

Lets be real here - I know alot of us think of the Fort as our home - but the majority of people here are on vacation. Some, possibly, not using their everyday street judgement - following the strictest adherence to FL state traffic laws. Ive been here two days and Im already tired of golf carts roaming around like they own the place. If kids can't ride their bikes on vacation - when should they ride them? We spent the entire summer at a golf cart friendly campground and never once were my kids yelled at by a golf cart rider. My kids are always supervised - we never let them run amuck - I expect that golf carts would constantly be on the look out for people on bikes - not the other way around. Im not going to give this another thought - we are going to bike - and cross roads with our bikes - watch out!

I may be mistaken, but I believe Dave was on the actual road not in a loop. If that is the case, I can only imagine a bus or someone pulling an rv behind those kids. He said they were close and crossed the yellow line. Scary. They should have been on the sidewalk.

I think everyone for the most post tries to watch for kids. Whip in the situation yall were in, on the loop with parent supervision, you have every right to be pissed. As did, Dave on the road.

Just my two vents.

I may be mistaken, but I believe Dave was on the actual road not in a loop. If that is the case, I can only imagine a bus or someone pulling an rv behind those kids. He said they were close and crossed the yellow line. Scary. They should have been on the sidewalk.

I think everyone for the most post tries to watch for kids. Whip in the situation yall were in, on the loop with parent supervision, you have every right to be pissed. As did, Dave on the road.

Just my two vents.