Golf Cart - to Buy or not to buy

I know some short carts can fit in a 6.5' bed with the tailgate removed, but even then the weight of an electric cart is far in excess of what most trucks can haul in their bed, nevermind the hitch weight of the trailer. I'm asking because I'm in a similar situation.

Shanta, Good to see you back!!!!!! Hope you are well rested after the Christmas Holiday.

I have a short bed 2011 Silverado 1500 extended cab and the payload is 1,900, with an electric cart being about 900 that still leaves 1,000 for tongue weight. I don't tow a trailer, but I am wondering where you got your numbers.

My cart just fits, and I could haul it without the tailgate, but since it's behind the MH the tailgate is still attached.

Well, I'm figuring based on my Tundra's 1600 lb payload capacity. And I had been told a typical steel framed 6-battery cart runs @1200 lbs, but let's assume 900 is right. Back out 450 lb for me and my wife, 250 lb for gas, and there is no capacity left for hitch weight or other payload in the cab. Figure a 6000 lb 24' travel trailer and figure minimum 10% tongue weight (600lbs) and even your more capable Silverado would be 300 lb overweight, as I understand it. Now, I have heard that payload ratings are figured without regard to gas weight and allow for a 180 lb driver(?). If that's right, you would be just barely in spec, and might be able to load the tongue a little more heavily for better handling. Like I said, though, I'm asking because I'd like to know, not because I'm an expert on the matter... where is Larry when you need him? LOL!

How would you transport a cart? Your signature pic looks like you have a non-toyhauler travel trailer and a short bed truck. I know some short carts can fit in a 6.5' bed with the tailgate removed, but even then the weight of an electric cart is far in excess of what most trucks can haul in their bed, nevermind the hitch weight of the trailer. I'm asking because I'm in a similar situation.

Good point and good to see you again ^-^

Well, I'm figuring based on my Tundra's 1600 lb payload capacity. And I had been told a typical steel framed 6-battery cart runs @1200 lbs, but let's assume 900 is right... where is Larry when you need him? LOL!

Club Car is 495 less batteries and EZ GO is 635 less batteries and 935 curb weight.

Also here is an article from AutoBlog about payloads.

""Payload designations such as half-ton, 3/4-ton, and 1-ton are little but nods to the past practice of naming a truck according to its actual payload, and don't accurately describe total or per-axle payloads. While some modern half-tons (such as the heavier crew-cab models) indeed have payload ratings close to 1,000 lbs, most are rated to carry around 1,500 lbs or so. 3/4- and 1-ton pickups can carry far more than their name would suggest. My 3/4-ton GMC has a GVWR of 8600 lbs, and thus can carry 3300 lbs in addition to its wet curb weight of 5300 lbs. In fact, the rear axle of my truck is rated for 6000 lbs by itself, and maybe has 2000 lbs on it when unladed. Total payload is thus limited in this case not by spring, axle, or tire capacity, but by the brakes. Most dual rear wheel 1-tons have GVWR somewhere north of 11,000 lbs and rear axle ratings of 9,000 lbs (the two extra tires allow for the extra weight), which gives them a maximum payload of up to 5,000 lbs or so. For the record, the 4 cubic yards of wet mulch shown in the picture above was well within my truck's capabilities, but 3 cubic yards of damp sand may have been a bit too much.""

Well, I'm figuring based on my Tundra's 1600 lb payload capacity. And I had been told a typical steel framed 6-battery cart runs @1200 lbs, but let's assume 900 is right. Back out 450 lb for me and my wife, 250 lb for gas, and there is no capacity left for hitch weight or other payload in the cab. Figure a 6000 lb 24' travel trailer and figure minimum 10% tongue weight (600lbs) and even your more capable Silverado would be 300 lb overweight, as I understand it. Now, I have heard that payload ratings are figured without regard to gas weight and allow for a 180 lb driver(?). If that's right, you would be just barely in spec, and might be able to load the tongue a little more heavily for better handling. Like I said, though, I'm asking because I'd like to know, not because I'm an expert on the matter... where is Larry when you need him? LOL!

The guy I was looking to buy the cart from is a state away so I am taking his word that it will fit in the back of my F-150 - like the gent with the Chevy said - it would barely fit. He also mentioned that he has some aluminum framed carts as well which run lighter. My Apex is 4200 dry weight and I travel light as far as cargo - say 5000 lbs loaded. (no water in the tanks). With the package that I have I figured I was within my tolerances from Ford. You make an excellent point though - I would do a lot more research on my end before purchasing. I'm still new to this - thats why I came to this board. Thanks for the comments!

That won't fit in the bed of your truck :rofl2:

It might, you don't know! :raspberry: I'm waiting to hear back from the seller what the dimension is front bumper to rear-wheel-center, and hoping it is basically a regular chassis with a lot of body hanging off the back. Truth be told, this is one of the least practical things I have ever wanted, but I've been wanting to make a sleigh-golf-cart for years

It might, you don't know! :raspberry: I'm waiting to hear back from the seller what the dimension is front bumper to rear-wheel-center, and hoping it is basically a regular chassis with a lot of body hanging off the back. Truth be told, this is one of the least practical things I have ever wanted, but I've been wanting to make a sleigh-golf-cart for years

Just got my dimensions - I would have to drop the tailgate of my F-150 and honestly I don't know if I can drop it while hooked up to my TT. I'll be camping next weekend so I will check it out then. I know my buddy could ride with his tailgate down in his old Jayco 29BH but he cannot with his new Keystone Hideout. Payload capacity in the F-150 is 3100 lbs so I should be good there.

According to the Ford F-150 manual, the highest payload capacity is 2,090lbs for the 5.0L long-wheelbase, regular cab. You may want to review your source for your numbers if they say 3100lbs, cause that sounds like F-250 territory.

Make that f-350. I have a 2012 f-350 and the max payload on it is a little over 3200lbs my buddy's f-250 is 1800lbs. Both trucks are crew cab 4x4 diesels.

According to the Ford F-150 manual, the highest payload capacity is 2,090lbs for the 5.0L long-wheelbase, regular cab. You may want to review your source for your numbers if they say 3100lbs, cause that sounds like F-250 territory.

Yep you're right. I am looking at the towing guide and I found a chart buired that has cargo capacities for pickup truck / camper combinations - I've got the heavy duty payload package but I'm still over per these numbers. They figure in a lot more human weight per seat that I would have but this is still not working out math wise to have it in the back of the truck with the camper attached.

Again - this is why I came to this board.

Thanks.

If you can figure out a way to transport it, I also recommend buying a cart. We just got our first one and it is so nice to have our own and not have to shell out rental fees or worry that there are any available. The Fort was sold out of them for most of this past week, as were the local rental co.'s.

We camp a TON, and most of the places we go allow them. We also bring our bikes and mix it up, but I can tell you in the really hot weather here in FL, having that cart sure beats sweating your butt off walking or biking, even sitting waiting for that bus you get plenty warm sometimes. At least with the cart you get a breeze, because there really is no place to park a regular car to go anywhere there, even to someone else's site.