Pet's in Travel Trailer's, Need ya'll input please!

Looks like the Taumua/Carter family is finally going to take the plunge and buy a travel trailer soon, we have it narrowed down to two different models but have vowed to make our final choice by the end of the month. We have three dogs, our Maltese doesn't like camping and is a yapper, so he will most certainly be boarded as he always has. We also have two of the biggest sweetest lab pups (if you can call a 110 lb dog a pup) you'll ever encounter that we haven't taken camping yet but we already know they are going to enjoy it, they LOVE the outdoors, don't bark excessively and are just overall great dogs. Our dilemma comes in how to transport them. our vehicle will not fit all of us and the dogs, so the only option is to secure them in the travel trailer. I googled it and this is apparently a very heated topic. I can understand that we must make provisions to crate, secure and keep them cool. We already stop every couple of hours for the kids so walking them is not an issue. I guess I'm looking to see both sides of the argument from people I trust and respect here on fort fiends. If I put the dogs in the truck, I'd have to leave a couple of kids home... which really makes me feel like a bad person..

so what do ya'll think?

I'd put a couple of kids in the crates in the trailer and let the dogs ride up front.

The dogs and you will be happier. The kids will get over it.

TCD

is that legal? I'd totally be ok with that. :rofl2:

I just can't go to prison, I look horrible in orange and have commitment issues 10- 15 is way longer than I could sign up for :clint:

I'd put a couple of kids in the crates in the trailer and let the dogs ride up front.

The dogs and you will be happier. The kids will get over it.

TCD

This! :rofl2:

Seriously... we've never considered the dogs riding in the TT... that is until we almost came home with an "extra" thanks to a stray beagle in a truck stop. (long story - we still only have 3 dogs).

BUT, if we seriuosly did consider it, our biggest concerns would be...

Heat/cool - in hot weather, the inside of a TT, even one traveling down the road, will heat up very quickly and become dangerously hot much quicker than you'd think. On the flip side, when we stopped for the night this year in the Carolinas in early November, it was in the 40s inside the TT.

Safety - crates would need to be securely fastened so that they couldn't jumble around at all, particularly in the case of an accident. This is something we would very definitely take seriously given we've had exactly this experience. In our case (thankfully) the dogs were safely crated in the truck and unharmed. Had they been in the crates in the TT, I'm not so sure that would have been the case. Our crates in the TT are anchored down, but the bar/counter on top of it flew loose and the toilet flew out and landed on the crates.

Along those same lines, we were incredibly fortunate that our TT didn't just blow apart when we flipped it. From what I've been told, that's a rarity and the damage to your average towable in an accident is considerable, whereas your vehicle is equipped with all kinds of things meant to protect the passengers in the case of an accident.

And in the "other" category... and this might actually be the biggest concern for DH - there's no way to keep tabs on what's going on with the dogs if they're back in the TT.

Our gang are seasoned travelers - I swear they spend 1/3 of their lives in the truck - and they're generally good about going "on command" when we stop for breaks. But every once in a while someone needs an "interim" pit stop. If they were in the TT there'd be no way to know that until you found the mess.

On top of that possible problem, if you leave any kind of toys or chews or anything in their crates and there was ever a problem with something getting stuck, you'd have no way of knowing. Of course that one's avoidable by just not leaving anything in their crates with them and removing collars/leashes (which can also get stuck, particularly if they have dangling tags on them).

I thought of you Mo when we were having the discussion with the sales man, he actually encourages us to put them back there but of course he wants us to buy the trailer. He offered to put some anchors down so we could secure their crates. He and DH talked about the cooling thing and apparently there is away to do that with the generator? I'm very much torn on the subject, we would be devastated if something happened to them, but the thought of leaving them home all the time sorta defeats the reason we are finally buying the TT. So I dont know what we are going to do just yet. If DH doesnt come along they could ride in the truck, but I couldnt crate them, but I dont know how long it will be before I'm comfortable towing the TT on my own.. I did ok with the utility trailer with the gear on it but this thing is 32' long.. that's a bit more..

Good points about the collars and such, these guys are goofballs and take it as personal challenges to get those things off, chew toys are pointless, they are shreds within minutes with these guys..lol

My opinion (and that's all it is), is that I don't haul anything in the TT that I don't mind losing. It's based on one occurrence, which will probably never happen again.

We were on the 475 bypass in Georgia, when the TT in front of us blew a tire. Watching as that thing starting wiggling viololently, before eventually turning on its side was frightening.

I don't know if this is normal, or if they were not adequately rigged up to handle the load. Then again, I don't care. The fact that it could happen was enough to craft my decision making process forever.

Hopefully that will never happen to anybody ever again.

First are we talking bumper pull or 5ther. Due to the large size of our Dane, we were unable to safely allow him to ride in the truck with the family and our Heeler, though fine as long as she got a breeze, would get sick inside the truck. Both dogs rode in the more expensive airline safety crates in the bed of the truck. The dogs are actually the reason we didn't get a 5ther

You may have more room in the vehicle than you think. Consider this. A lot of the "stuff" that is in your vehicle when you tent camp will now be in the TT.

Point Carol, but I can still legally only seat 8 and there is 7 of us.. lol

I could move up to a 15 passenger Van I suppose. My FIL's comment was to just let them ride in the back of the truck when he and my MIL come along, they have a single cab truck, I'm not ok with that idea, no way to cool them down and I think the wind would make them nuttier than they already are :)

First are we talking bumper pull or 5ther. Due to the large size of our Dane, we were unable to safely allow him to ride in the truck with the family and our Heeler, though fine as long as she got a breeze, would get sick inside the truck. Both dogs rode in the more expensive airline safety crates in the bed of the truck. The dogs are actually the reason we didn't get a 5ther

it's a not a 5ver Nick, it's a travel trailer

I could move up to a 15 passenger Van I suppose.

BINGO!

Although in actually, I would recommend the 12 passenger configuration...as there is less rear overhang (at least on the Ford) and thus a more stable towing platform. Or, if you want to stick with Nissan products, the new NV shows some promise depending on the size trailer you are looking at. But in either case, although they are ridiculously "unsexy" vehicles, I LOVE our big van for hauling kids, dogs and trailers.

BINGO!

Although in actually, I would recommend the 12 passenger configuration...as there is less rear overhang (at least on the Ford) and thus a more stable towing platform. Or, if you want to stick with Nissan products, the new NV shows some promise depending on the size trailer you are looking at. But in either case, although they are ridiculously "unsexy" vehicles, I LOVE our big van for hauling kids, dogs and trailers.

I'm at tht point in my life where being "unsexy" really doesnt matter anymore, I NEED FUNCTIONAL

My feeling is if I wouldn't ride in the trailer, then my dogs aren't going to, either.

I'm at tht point in my life where being "unsexy" really doesnt matter anymore, I NEED FUNCTIONAL

One bonus of the big vans is...if you look for a used one they are ridiculously cheap compared to trucks and SUV's. I realize that's because most people wouldn't be caught dead in them, but seriously, when I bought mine it was 4 years old with 37k miles and it cost less than Suburbans twice that age with 100k miles. Mine has the 6.8L V10, but you can also find a few with diesels if you want. I wouldn't get the typical 5.4L engine for heavy hauling.

If you do get one, be prepared for the jokes. I am used to it. Call me a stalker, molester, prison worker, etc. I don't care. But whatever you do, DO NOT CALL ME LARRY! :rofl2:

One bonus of the big vans is...if you look for a used one they are ridiculously cheap compared to trucks and SUV's. I realize that's because most people wouldn't be caught dead in them, but seriously, when I bought mine it was 4 years old with 37k miles and it cost less than Suburbans twice that age with 100k miles. Mine has the 6.8L V10, but you can also find a few with diesels if you want. I wouldn't get the typical 5.4L engine for heavy hauling.

If you do get one, be prepared for the jokes. I am used to it. Call me a stalker, molester, prison worker, etc. I don't care. But whatever you do, DO NOT CALL ME LARRY! :rofl2:

I really need to start bringin DaveinAL around you more often, he could use a little help adjusting to the fact that he is surrounded by women and fighting a loosing battle.. :rofl2:

My concern about a generator type setup for any sort of climate control would be, how would you know if it failed while you were driving?

And yeah you're totally right to be skeptical of the guy trying to sell you the TT. 8)

You may have more room in the vehicle than you think. Consider this. A lot of the "stuff" that is in your vehicle when you tent camp will now be in the TT.

And if you don't have room for 2 crates in the vehicle, could you make it work with seatbelts/harnesses for the dogs?

After our accident, the one thing I feel VERY strongly about is dogs riding loose in ANY sort of vehicle. Not to put too fine a point on it, but I know for a fact that ours would have been scattered across the highway with all our stuff if they hadn't been secured in the vehicle.

My opinion (and that's all it is), is that I don't haul anything in the TT that I don't mind losing.

...that thing starting wiggling viololently, before eventually turning on its side was frightening.I don't know if this is normal, or if they were not adequately rigged up to handle the load. Then again, I don't care. The fact that it could happen was enough to craft my decision making process forever.

I agree and I can tell you that in the case of our accident, it had nothing to do with our tow setup or anything we did. Another driver cut us off and thus began our wild ride. Which just proves that no matter how careful YOU are, you aren't on the road alone.

And if you don't have room for 2 crates in the vehicle, could you make it work with seatbelts/harnesses for the dogs?

After our accident, the one thing I feel VERY strongly about is dogs riding loose in ANY sort of vehicle. Not to put too fine a point on it, but I know for a fact that ours would have been scattered across the highway with all our stuff if they hadn't been secured in the vehicle.

I know I wasnt a Fiend when you accident happened, but I read along when you bumped it around the anniversary. My dog was always well behaved in the back seat so I never thought about getting a restraint of any kind for him. After reading your post I went out and bought a seatbelt harness for him (cant fit a crate for him in the back seat of our Elantra) I feel much better now knowing he is more secure. Thanks Mo. I have been meaning to let you know.

Now back to your regularly scheduled quest for information.