I don't know if some of you have seen ours, but we have a chair lift on our MH.  It is basically a screw gear in a tube mounted to the sidewall next to the door, with a double hinged bracket that supports a chair (with seat belts).  It is powered by a 12 vdc motor mounted at the top of the tube and direct-wired to the battery below the step.  The chair swings into the coach so the user can step or be helped to the floor level without having to climb any steps.  It came complete except for the lower mount which must be locally fabricated to fit an individual RV, welded or bolted to the frame.  The bracket at the top of the tube is bolted through the sidewall, in our case just above the sink, next to the door.

Our chair is capable of lifting 400 pounds, although I hope none of us tests it to that extent.  It has become invaluable for lifting our "little ones" as their sizes and weights (and our ages) have increased and our lifting powers have decreased.  It could be a valuable aid for a disabled traveler or travel partner.  During travel, the chair and hinged bracket are removed, with only the tube and motor left in place.  The unit, except for the fabricated lower bracket, can be moved to a replacement RV when the time comes.  It has been a great investment for us.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Angela,   I don't know where you are,  but we are in Lakeland Fl.   We had a lift installed in my parents RV.   The company was in Tampa,  Fl.    Here is a web site  that you can reference  to see the type of  lift.     

http://www.coachlift.com/

let me know if you have any questions....

Sheila,  Glad you are still making good use of the Chair Lift info.   We are trading up to a newer MH and will need to get ours moved.  There's a slight problem with a window where a wall should be, so we have to get the top bracket modified, then have a new bottom bracket fabricated.  Chair Lift was helpful in sending me pictures of modified brackets, so that should help.  They also sent me a new ring for the bottom bracket.  That dang thing was $35 by itself and will need to be welded to the new bottom bracket.  I'll try to locate some of my pictures for this thread for future reference.

• 1 month later...

Lets see if this works...  OK< it worked.  Somewhat large, but posted.  How can I reduce the size?

0823131036_zps316247b9.jpg  "Bottom Manufactured Bracket - by installer"

0201091638a2_zpsa69ca0df.jpg   "Installed Unit"

0201091647b2_zps8fd78812.jpg   "Removable parts"  A post under the seat fits in the hole on the left end of the hinged bracket.  The other end of the bracket meshes (hinges) with the loops at the bottom of the post near the steps.

0201091643a2_zps639d5d60.jpg   "In Use"

Thanks Carol.  And I think I found a way to resize future postings, although not as I found described by someone for Photobucket.  Maybe Photobucket has changed their menus.  No profile or initial settings, or the like was found, just an edit option to resize a specfic photo.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, Kell.  Now we have to get it installed on our newer MH.  It won't be for this trip, but maybe by Spring Break.  We have to get a new lower bracket fabricated and installed, then the upper bracket has to be modified to fit a narrow wall section next to the door.  I may also have to remove a hand rail just inside the door to accommodate the chair entry.  And we're not used to a door that only opens to 900.  It makes the door opening at least SEEM smaller.

So far we just plan to make do.  Shawnee can do some assisted climbing up and down the steps.  I think we can manage Kimberly with both of us holding her.  Although the idea of a portable lift might be something to look into.  We have a place here that loans medical equipment when needed.  We have used a Hoyer Lift in the past in their bedrooms, but it needs a good bit of space.  Outside just might work.  Thanks for the idea, Carol.

I was just curious what these lifts are. Since I'm not familiar with them. So I did a quick search and these popped up and it seems like a great deal. I don't know if you could use this but here it is.

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/for/4132233697.html

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/hab/4181342185.html

If this is something you might be interested in let me know. It's not that far from me and I could help get it to you. Hope it helps.

The lifts pictured are the types we could most likely use.  We will need to see how high the lift would raise the kids and if it would go close enough to get them INSIDE the MH.  Probably at least have to retract the steps.   I have a call into our local FODAC "store" to check on their availability.  Funny thing:  We have had two of these and gave them away due to lack of use here.  I will report back later.

• 4 months later...

We got a Hoyer Lift from FODAC here in Stone Mountain, but it didn't work for us.  The lift only took the kids above the outside steps.  We had to move them manually from there, so we left the lift at home and move them by hand for the month we were there.  Shawnee could help by assisted crawling up the steps, but Kimberly was dead weight all the way.  It helped immensely when our company got there and did a lot of the lifting.  We now have the ChairLift mounted...in time for Spring Break....which we didn't get to take because DFCS would not let the baby travel out of state.

That SMB that the Hoyer lift didn't work the way you needed it to.

Glad you got the chair lift installed.

Still praying for y'all, daily.

And praying that DFCS allows the adoption to go thru. And I know God will make it happen soon. I can't wait to meet Colby Christmas 2014.

• 2 months later...

Hey all! Just getting back to FF and this thread. Thanks so much for the links and the pictures! We are gonna give Coach Lift a call tomorrow to chat with them and see how much their lift would cost us. Our boys with Spina Bifida would be able to use this for sure. And I believe it would allow us to get our two total care girls into the travel trailer as well. We didn't get to stay at Fort Wilderness last year after all, as we had a problem with our slide on the travel trailer and it ended up in the shop while we ended up renting a condo for our trip! But we are trying again this year and we are booked at Fort Wilderness for Labor Day week! The kids are very excited and so are mom and dad! Thanks again for the links! Angela

As stated above  we have our Chair Lift installed on our newer MH.  There is about a 3 1/2 inch wall between the door and full length window to allow mounting the upper bracket.  We have used it extensively in the driveway getting ready for our next trip, and it is so much better than man-handling the teen into and out of the MH.  We will also have the baby with us this time, so any labor saving device is a blessing.  Now, if they all just had and could use power chairs.   :wheelchair:

Best of luck Angela, on making this move.  Our two teens are essentialy total care as well, considering getting them in and out of our MH.  It was a real job last Christmas at the Fort without the Lift.  So much easier with it.