The Rainbow Bridge Pet Memorials

Thank you all for your kind words. She was a great dog. We will miss her. The toughest part was coming home to an empty house, or mistaking a pair of dark shoes by the door as her. But, she's in no more pain.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When we lost our first border collie Maggie suddenly (almost 6 years ago) Brian and I dealt with it very differently. We were both in shock for quite a while as she was only 6 and it came completely o

You absolutely, positively, did NOT fail him! Period. I know you doubt that now, but you were there for him when he needed you, even when there was nothing humanly possible that you could have done.

This is for my stepson,s beloved Sheela. She was a true hero. Friday night we lost her to a home fire. Thank you Sheela for waking Sean up in time to get out of the house. You will always be our hero.

Thank you all for your kind words. She was a great dog. We will miss her. The toughest part was coming home to an empty house, or mistaking a pair of dark shoes by the door as her. But, she's in no more pain.

I understand you pain. I mistook a pair of grey plastic bags for my girl the other day. It is a hundred little things every day

Haven't been around much lately. To be quite frank, I haven't felt like being happy.

Several weeks ago, our Zeus (schnoodle) starting having health problems. Initially they suspected a early kidney disease, to which we held out hope that we could manage for him. Treatments didn't work and Zeus continued to lose weight. After some particularly bad episodes, they found cancer. I can't rehash the details (it's just too hard), but the right decision was clear. Selfishly, I investigated all possible avenues. I was willing to exhaust the family fiscally, if only to have more time. Everyone said that we could possibly buy several more months, but that zeus would have to endure chemo and see a significantly reduced quality of life.

Well, we tried to make his last 24 hours as happy as possible. While he did enjoy one last vanilla ice cream from lions choice, every stop we made it became evident that Zeus just didn't have the energy. The things that used to bring such great joy, now didn't even warrant getting out of the truck.

I got no sleep last night as I continued to think about every "last"thing that Zeus enjoyed. When he awoke this morning we all loved on him and did our best to put on a cheerful face. I found myself getting furious with the clock on the wall. Why did it have to keep ticking!

Zeus fell asleep for a final peaceful nap shortly after 10 this morning. He was surrounded by people who cherished and loved him. In his 4 short years, he asked only two things. To be close to his family and to chase bunnies. We made sure he got plenty of both.

Zeus will always be in our hearts.

So, so sorry for your loss.

It's never easy, no matter what the circumstances. Ultimately you did all any good pet owner could do, you put Zeus and his quality of life ahead of your own pain and grief. You gave him a last day filled with all the love he deserved and you were with him when it mattered most. Zeus was lucky to have been so loved and to have such unselfish, caring people in his life.

I know how hard it is and I can only tell you that time helps. It also helps to hang onto all the wonderful memories you have of Zeus, and try not to dwell on the "what ifs".

Hugs to you all, and godspeed Zeus...

I know how hard it is and I can only tell you that time helps. It also helps to hang onto all the wonderful memories you have of Zeus, and try not to dwell on the "what ifs".

Hugs to you all, and godspeed Zeus...

Many thanks for the beautiful sentiments.

When we lost our first border collie Maggie suddenly (almost 6 years ago) Brian and I dealt with it very differently.

We were both in shock for quite a while as she was only 6 and it came completely out of the blue (vet error during routine surgery). For a while neither of us could even believe it.

To this day Brian can hardly even say her name without tearing up.

However for me it helped to talk about her and tell all the great Maggie stories. She was such a character, and as our first border collie, taught us a LOT and made us laugh every day. She's also the reason we got involved in rescue, and for that we'll always be grateful to her. As it happens, right now I'm wearing the rescue t-shirt her portrait is on! :)

Sorry for your loss. Seems the Rainbow Bridge has seen too many furry fiends cross over recently. I suspect that we RV'ers are more attached to our pets than non-RV'ers are. I know that's why we got into camping in the first place -- didn't want to leave our pet at home. When we are with our pets 24/7, we feel their loss more keenly. It's like losing a child. The Rainbow Bridge is now home for my Chihuahua, two Great Danes, a Siberian Husky, and a Miniature Schnauzer. We still mourn the loss of our Schnauzer and look forward to seeing all of them again.

When we lost our first border collie Maggie suddenly (almost 6 years ago) Brian and I dealt with it very differently.

We were both in shock for quite a while as she was only 6 and it came completely out of the blue (vet error during routine surgery). For a while neither of us could even believe it.

To this day Brian can hardly even say her name without tearing up.

However for me it helped to talk about her and tell all the great Maggie stories. She was such a character, and as our first border collie, taught us a LOT and made us laugh every day. She's also the reason we got involved in rescue, and for that we'll always be grateful to her. As it happens, right now I'm wearing the rescue t-shirt her portrait is on! :)

Shock describes it pretty well. One day we were just trying to fix the kidney problem,, the next we had to say goodbye.

Sorry for your loss. Seems the Rainbow Bridge has seen too many furry fiends cross over recently. I suspect that we RV'ers are more attached to our pets than non-RV'ers are. I know that's why we got into camping in the first place -- didn't want to leave our pet at home. When we are with our pets 24/7, we feel their loss more keenly. It's like losing a child. The Rainbow Bridge is now home for my Chihuahua, two Great Danes, a Siberian Husky, and a Miniature Schnauzer. We still mourn the loss of our Schnauzer and look forward to seeing all of them again.

I bought an RV and changed all plans just so my buddy could be with me, so I completely understand. What I can't understand is how you've been able to cope with the loss of such a wonderful troop of furry friends. You are indeed very strong. I'm glad Zeus will be running with a great pack.

I concur with what Stef said above. Every time this thread surfaced in the past, I would get lump in my throat and feel pressure in my chest. Actually having to make that drive to the vets, with Zeus looking at me with love and trust in his eyes, will add even greater weight to those feelings in the future. Putting on a happy face so that the last thing Zeus saw was happiness was hard. I was the one that Zeus trusted to take care of him and I failed (even though there was nothing else I could do). He didn't appear scared as he passed, so I'm clinging to hope that our facade helped ease the transition.

OK, sorry about another downer of a post. I am done, and will try to move on. Somehow, typing out the feelings (and seeing the nice responses) has helped.

Okay, now I can't stop crying. Please don't feel that you failed Zeus! Glad airing your feelings here has helped. We have a great group of people here who sincerely care about each other and really do sympathize because many of us have been where you are right now and totally understand what you are going through.

... I was the one that Zeus trusted to take care of him and I failed (even though there was nothing else I could do). He didn't appear scared as he passed, so I'm clinging to hope that our facade helped ease the transition.

OK, sorry about another downer of a post. I am done, and will try to move on. Somehow, typing out the feelings (and seeing the nice responses) has helped.

You absolutely, positively, did NOT fail him! Period.

I know you doubt that now, but you were there for him when he needed you, even when there was nothing humanly possible that you could have done. You eased his pain instead of prolonging it just for the sake of more time with him.

He didn't appear scared because you were there, and he trusted you and loved you, and knew you loved him.

That is not "failing" in any sense of the word.

And please don't ever apologize for "talking" this out. Many of us have been there and for some of us talking about it - especially with people who understand - can help tremendously.

• 5 weeks later...

On this thread especially, I wanted to share this article - written by the woman that started and runs the terrific training center we've been going to for years...

On death of a dog

N.H. Sunday News - Dog Tracks Column - 8/5/12

By: Gail T. Fisher

I know you will forgive me for re-running a column I wrote a few years ago. I took Cannon to the vet yesterday. He had had diarrhea since the previous day, and I was concerned that he was dehydrated. His wonderful, caring vet wanted to keep him to give him IV fluids, and said she’d call me in a couple of hours to let me know how he was doing. About an hour later, she called to tell me he was gone. We don’t know why. We may never know why. His absence is just beginning to fully sink in. I’ll write his eulogy — my tribute to him – when I can think clearly. But for now, a reprise of a column I wrote in 2005:

I knew my friends were struggling with their old dog. I knew they were facing the ultimate decision that we are all-too-soon asked to make. Yet when I opened the email last Saturday and read, as on a monument, “Noah, 10/20/90 – 3/26/05” the floodgates crashed opened. Even now, the profound impact is so much more than two paragraphs of how he went peacefully (as I know he did) with his loving owners by his side (as I know they were).

Noah’s passing is just the most recent in what seems like an avalanche of sad news. Some of our most special old friends in our “extended family” at All Dogs Gym have recently passed on. Each loss touches our lives, and each is mourned.

In the nearly 12 years I’ve been writing this column, I re-visit important subjects from time to time. This topic, however, is so painful to even think about, I have written about it only once, nine years ago. After that column appeared, I received more notes and letters than with any other topic – some expressing such grief they were almost too painful to read. Here’s what I wrote:

I recently got a call from a friend asking advice about what to do for someone she cared for who had had to put her dog to sleep. Send flowers? A card? A donation to a non-profit organization? My advice was to do whatever she felt the friend would appreciate, but most importantly, to let her friend know she cared, and be willing to listen.

People who lose a beloved pet can be as bereft as those who lose a child. When you have loved a pet and you lose it, you grieve. When you have lived with a pet, nurtured and cared for it, it has been part of yours life. When it is gone, you grieve for the loss of the companionship, the devotion, the unquestioning affection, the mere presence of the one you love.

People who have never experienced this grief may say, “Oh, it was just a dog. Go to the pound and get another.” Such unthinking statements belittle the essence of love for a pet and the importance of that dog's being. It was never “just a dog.” It was a friend. It was a part of your life that is gone. No more will that dog greet you at the door, put her head on your thigh when you're sad, laugh and jump around when you're happy. Oh, sure, there may be another dog in the future who will do those same things, a puppy to make you laugh and love another pet. The pain will ease, and the grief will lessen, but the loss of a pet is agony.

I once lost a young, two-year-old Mastiff, who suddenly became ill with a hidden defect she had had since birth. Solo deteriorated rapidly, and died within two weeks. Suddenly gone – no more would she greet me in the morning. No more would she check on me during our walks to be sure I followed the right path in the woods. No more would she do all those things that made her special. It was nearly a year before I could not drive past the veterinary hospital where she spent her last days without crying. I had other dogs, but Solo had barely begun to live, and then she was suddenly out of my life.

I've had people tell me that they will never have another pet because they never again want to go through the agonizing pain of loss. I understand – although they will also miss the joy. But there is nothing that can ease the profound pain of loss. Nothing but time.

We let these animals into our hearts, and they own a piece of us that cannot be consoled when we lose them. If it helps to know that others understand, then know that there are countless others who feel as you do.

For friends who want to help someone get through this time, be willing to listen. Be willing to share happy stories of the pet that died. For as long as it takes your friend to heal, for as long as your friend needs to grieve, listen. Do not set time limits – and never ever say “You'll get over it . . . you'll get another . . . it was just a dog.”

Copyright © Gail T. Fisher, 2012. All rights reserved. http://www.alldogsgym.com

http://www.alldogsgym.com/content/view/707/

• 2 weeks later...

Got home from Ohio today. It's storming so I went out to check on the camper. There in the side yard laid Harry, the stray kitty we had taken under our wing. He was dead. We made sure he had food and water, a dry place to sleep. It looks like another animal or person was mean to him. No animal should die like that. I put him in a box wrapped in some old towels. I'll bury him tomorrow. I'm sad for him.