Stef Has A Need For Speed!

Hippies?

You'll never see me there.

Was that 170,000 a typo? That place can seat 170,000? Wow!

TCD

But, these are racing hippies. Very different from your standard hippies. :animated-smileys-character-024:

170,000, Yep! And most, if not all, will be full on February 24th. Pure madness.

I have had a hard time getting past yesterday's update. there were a couple of "compelling" photos in there. not telling which ones.

Oh, and Dario and Ashley live just down the road from us, and his helicopter flies over our house quiet often. I wouldn't be upset if they divorced, as I bet he and his helicopter would move away and leave me in peace and quiet. Ashley's Mom and crazy ass sister live right down the road from her, so maybe they'd all live happily ever after. And I'm anti-Ashley BTW. She's nuts. But Wynona is pretty hilarious.

Judge Mental, sorry it's take me so long to respond. I was helping Trevor build a helipad in the back yard. :smug:

I have heard that the Judd family was a little nuts. I do enjoy some of their music and Ashley is in one of my all time favorite movies, so I won't judge.

You lost me at the those gorgeous hippie vans. By the way did you see top gear usa

I just can't get into the new Top Gear. I loved the original though. The only time I want to hear from Rutledge is race day.

Wow Genia. That's rough...Entirely true but rough.

I like it.

Sadly very true though.

Jason, don't feel bad. I not only screamed like a girl on Satan's swings, I came thisclose to throwing up.

Genia got a good laugh out of it though. :grumpy2:

Your trip report is great!

Did Boris Said drive for Jack Daniels? I used to route for him cause I love me some JD.

Thanks! Ya know, I didn't see any JD sponsor this year?! Maybe they had a tough year. You should help them out and drink more!! :))

I've never been a JD fan but I did try the honey jack at the Zac Brown concert and it was pretty darn good.

I apparently have missed these so called hot guys... But I will say the sausage that Nate had, and especially the turkey rap that Alice had looked quite edible and exciting. :laugh: When I saw the VW Micro busses I called on this guy :pope: to pray there were no hippie photos... He came through for me :banana: :banana:

Do you realize what happens when you put the words "hot guys" and "sausage" in one sentence?

Completely distracted......

Oh yeah, that sausage was good! It was like a hot dog in taste, but sausagey in texture.

Did you happen to get any scooter rental info? We are thinking of renting to test some out, just curious.

No. Never even saw any vendors around. Probably will need to wait for speedweeks to start, or go a bit further towards the beach to find them.

Ooooooweeee,

Listen to Stef rattle off that racin' talk... All we need to do is to get her one of those fancy headsets with a microphone and she could work for MRN (Motor Racing Network) as a commentator....

I am impressed.....

Although it doesn't take much to impress me... Give me a rubberband and a pencil and I'm happy for hours....

:lmao1: Me too!! Actually I'm more of a pen kinda girl, it's more permanent.

Don't be too impressed by my knowledge. It's just many years of watching and asking Trev a thousand questions.

Commentating would probably be more rewarding than official willy shaker. My problem would be the bleeps would outnumber the comments.

I tend to get excited and foul mouthed during a race. :rant:

You're from NC? I've always wanted to come up for a couple weeks and do all the museums/garages. Unfortunately, that "work thing" gets in my way.

Have you done any?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Very cool! Thanks for taking us to the track with you. I love it! Though, I must admit, I had trouble following along after this: Holy WOW. Molto Delizioso! I had more comments, but now I have for

And they lived happily ever after. Nice work. I'm thinking of hosting a watch party this year for Daytona. I've been getting more and more into it each, but apparently my driver can't get past 8th. An

Top Gear US took a bit if time to grow on us. The original format couldn't really work here because if the presenter hated a car you have just lost all the ad money. However they have managed to make a funny show.

New season of UK top Gear should be on BBC America in a few weeks. Now I will go back to waiting patiently for an update or reading an update

We're nearing the end. My plan was for this to be a quickie but I took more pics than I thought and you guys had so many great comments and questions (Genia ^-^ )

While we cleaned up for another trip back to the track, Donnie gave me the news about Judy. It kind of put a damper on my evening.

Right or wrong, it was a crappy situation, and that's all I'll say about it.

I was still in Daytona Beach, so I had to put my feelings on the back burner and finish my night.

We headed to one of our favorite places.

Rolex5KJan2013137.jpg

We sat out on the porch where we could still see the race. (and hear it in real time, as the Wing House is a mile from the track)

Rolex5KJan2013138.jpg

Trevor and I shared this beauty.

Rolex5KJan2013139.jpg

Rolex5KJan2013140.jpg

FOOD!

Jalapeno poppers

Rolex5KJan2013141.jpg

My fave: Fried pickles...YUM!

Rolex5KJan2013142.jpg

Buffalo chicken salad for Alice:

Rolex5KJan2013143.jpg

Blackened wings for Nate:

Rolex5KJan2013144.jpg

BBQ burger for Trevor:

Rolex5KJan2013145.jpg

I had the Philly cheese steak:

Rolex5KJan2013146.jpg

Everything was delicious and the boys enjoyed the servers (think Hooters, with smaller shorts) All of that food, plus Alice had a mug of sangria and our bill was $62.00

Rolex5KJan2013147.jpg

We finished up, paid our bill and Nate drove us back to the track.

I'll share a couple of pics from the night. Unless you have a VERY expensive camera, you will not get good shots of cars zooming by at 200 mph.

Rolex5KJan2013148.jpg

Those streaks of light are a car!

Rolex5KJan2013151.jpg

Rolex5KJan2013152.jpg

We moved around in the grandstands to see from different angles. As you're about to see, we had many choices.

Rolex5KJan2013154.jpg

Rolex5KJan2013155.jpg

Here is a short video. It's hard to describe how fast and loud they really are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TBgWONmtp4

Around 9:30 I got a text from Donnie asking if we were still at the track. He was heading back to Jax and was going to stop by.

Trevor told me he had no problem leaving if I wanted to head back. We were all exhausted from getting to the track at 5:00 that morning.

We had seen enough. They had only been racing for 6 hours. A lot of cars had problems, some were out completely and they had 18 hours to go!

It's easier to watch this race on TV where you can see who's in front, who's out or who's down 100 laps. Also remember there's 3 different classes running all together so it gets very confusing.

We came back to the KOA and I put my jammies on. Alice was asleep within a half hour.

Only one pic from the night. You'll be happy to hear, it's not me in my jammies.

Rolex5KJan2013157.jpg

After Donnie left, the three of us went to bed listening to the roar of the race.

When I say roar, I'm not kidding. Stick around for my final update!

Ker's Winghouse.

I know it well.

Crawford Ker, the founder, played football at Dunedin High and UF before going to the pro's.

The first Ker's Winghouse was right down the road from me in Largo, Florida.

Has anyone seen Donnie without that dog since he got it for "his daughter?"

I haven't.

Him and that dog are very close.

Too close if you ask me.

But, the first thing out of his mouth if you ask about it is that it's not his dog.

TCD

Ker''s Winghouse.

I know it well.

Crawford Ker, the founder, played football at Dunedin High and UF before going to the pro's.

I haven't.

Too close if you ask me.

But, the first thing out of his mouth if you ask about it is that it's not his dog.

TCD

me thinks he doth protest too much...

Awesome update!

Love the track pictures, I don't care if the cars are a blur. Still very, very cool. That sound is like a lullaby to me. Even though I live only an hour away, I don't get to as many events there as I'd like to. When we lived in Charlotte, before I had my kids, we spent a TON of time at the track there. Back when it was still called Charlotte Motor Speedway. They had stuff going on all summer between the 2 big races and we only lived 20 min. away. Jimmy Spencer hosted these school bus races that were a freakin riot.

That meal was a good deal! The pitcher of beer with the ice block in it reminds me of college…...

That is a really sweet picture of you and Trevor, too.

I think a bunch of us should plan a campout at a track that's central to all of the racing fans.

Ker's Winghouse.

I know it well.

I haven't.

Too close if you ask me.

TCD

Wow, I didn't know that! Glad to know I'm supporting a UF dude. We've never had a bad experience there.

Don't let the big softie Donnie kid you, he loves that damn dog.

That last picture was a great one to end the update on!

I agree, I always enjoy looking at that mug.

The Winghouse food photos made me drool a little.

Even though I don't follow racing all that much, this is a cool TR. I'm thinking it might be pretty exciting to see in person... at least I was thinking that until you said it was easier to keep up with on TV. Love all the great photos and commentary! Great video!

Ooh Kim, the food is yummy...and cheap!

You should definitely consider a race. Your boys would love it! Even if you're not a race fan, there's so much to see and do.

The food photos do look awesome. You could put buffalo sauce on a monkey butt and I'd chow down.

:laugh: You sound like Nate!

Friday night he ate McD's french fries...dipped in buffalo sauce.

That sound is like a lullaby to me.

That is a really sweet picture of you and Trevor, too.

I think a bunch of us should plan a campout at a track that's central to all of the racing fans.

Well, you may enjoy my next video then!

Thanks, I didn't realize I was hiding behind my mug. #shortgirlproblems

I agree, I guess it would be Daytona since most of us race fans are of the southern descent. Except for Aaron, he's freezing up there with the yanks. :unsure:

whiteflag.jpg

If you're a race fan, you know what that means...final lap.

Seems fitting, as this will be the final update.

I woke up at 4:30 on Sunday morning. I climbed out of bed, started the coffee, grabbed my video camera and crawled back into bed.

I shot this video while laying in my bed, that's why it's completely dark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4WUzu0VnEw

Nothing like that sound! They've now been at it for 13 hours. Only 11 more to go!

Once the coffee was ready, I strolled outside and shot another short video. Keep in mind, we are 2 miles away!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQavp26lemQ

Once I could see where I was walking, I took Mason for a walk to do his business.

Rolex5KJan2013160.jpg

Rolex5KJan2013158.jpg

This is facing the track. The glow over the trees is the lighting from the track. Pure awesomeness!

Rolex5KJan2013159.jpg

We enjoyed the noise while having our coffee. Trevor enjoyed being a smart ass while I took his picture.

Rolex5KJan2013162.jpg

The pack up process began, which was surprisingly simple compared to our normal trips.

Rolex5KJan2013163.jpg

Rolex5KJan2013164.jpg

After a noisy, action packed weekend, even Mason was ready to go home.

Rolex5KJan2013165.jpg

I usually give you some music lyrics to end a report, but this one deserves a more appropriate ending.

checkeredflag.jpg

Til our next adventure....

And they lived happily ever after.

Nice work.

I'm thinking of hosting a watch party this year for Daytona. I've been getting more and more into it each, but apparently my driver can't get past 8th.

And it just seems that much warmer, when you come in from the cold. 'Cause things ain't always better up the road.

Winghouse!!!!! :jumpforjoy :jumpforjoy :jumpforjoy

I must admit, when you suggested meeting you there last year, I was skeptical. Some of the local wing places we have tried while traveling have been meh. But Winghouse, GOOD! :jumpforjoy

Thanks for the info about the Rolex. If Tiny and I can get free in Jan next year, we may try it. Of course if Tiny goes, I won't be away from the track much.... :rofl3:

And if we go, we will be doing the 5K :clint:

Winghouse!!!!! :jumpforjoy :jumpforjoy :jumpforjoy

I must admit, when you suggested meeting you there last year, I was skeptical. Some of the local wing places we have tried while traveling have been meh. But Winghouse, GOOD! :jumpforjoy

Thanks for the info about the Rolex. If Tiny and I can get free in Jan next year, we may try it. Of course if Tiny goes, I won't be away from the track much.... :rofl3:

And if we go, we will be doing the 5K :clint:

What are we all doing a 5k in January next year? LOL

I was actually hoping to find one down in Daytona while there. But they offe the half the Sunday of Quals, ummmm Not quite there yet. Haven't seen anything around the actual race weekend...bummer.

But yup, hoping for at least a 5K next Jan.

It was great surprising you. I almost thought I was caught when I drove up. I've never been to a wing house. Passed that one a hundred times though and I might have to go some time. One thing I find cool about Rolex cars is they run in rain. If you've ever been to a NASCAR race in the rain you better hope you got 2 things. Beer, an RV and beer. Oh and food. I've sat at a few races in the pouring rain before I had a camper and it sucks. I think it was back in 04 when Jr won the 500 we got rained out in the Busch race and we sat in the camper toasty, full and watching movies. I was at the race last year and it sucked no matter if you were in a Provost.

I know people laugh about the dog but there's a little secret about her. Somebody called her a Christmas miracle. It has something to do with my cousin that passed away and let's just say she's filled a huge void. I understand people laughing at me for having a 6 lb dog but ol well.

Thanks for bringing us along on your trip. I hope to see you guys at the 500.

You're from NC? I've always wanted to come up for a couple weeks and do all the museums/garages. Unfortunately, that "work thing" gets in my way.

Have you done any?

Yes I'm from NC...been here all my life. Currently live in the Raleigh area, which is about a 3 hr drive from Charlotte where all of the garages and museums are located. Heck, the closet thing to racing we have here is a Rick Hendrick Chevy and Dodge dealership about 5 miles from my house...

Don't follow it like I used to when I was growing up, like you said that dang work seems to get in the way...

You should find time to come up to Charlotte when there is a big race going on... Tour the shops and check out the mueseums. You would even get a chance for some Lexington BBQ and a Cheerwine. They are both about a 30 minute drive east of Charlotte.... Nectar and Food of the Gods!