Camping in the Tampa Area

We will be attending a family reunion in the Tampa area this June. Safety Harbor to be specific. We will then be heading to The Fort.

I've been looking online and everything seems to be a mobile home park with a few RV sites thrown in. Not my first choice, but we will only be there a few days, so as long as it's not a dump, I guess it would work...

Anybody have any favorites or suggestions for that area? any campgrounds that have less permanent/mobile home sites?

Thanks,

--Paul

Welcome, pbryan!

Safety Harbor is just down the road from where I live.

This county is the most densely populated county in Florida, and there really aren't any traditional campgrounds left. Land is too valuable. What you have found in your research is about all that is left- places that pack them in and cater to what we call snowbirds- folks who stay for the winter months.

Fort Desoto park, which Lorna mentioned, is a County Park. It's not fancy, but it is a campground, not an RV park. It's at the southern tip of the county, and not particularly convenient to Safety Harbor.

I have lived here for over 30 years now, and there isn't a place I can think of close to Safety Harbor that isn't going to be more like a mobile home community with a few campsites thrown in.

This place isn't bad, and isn't far from Safety Harbor: http://www.dunedinrvpark.com/ . I know people who have stayed there, and it will give you a place to stay before you head to the Fort.

The good news is that Safety Harbor is a beautiful little city, as are Dunedin, Clearwater, Tarpon Springs and the other cities around the area. There are some great beaches here too.

TCD

Thanks... Dunedin RV park was actually bubbling to the top of my list from web research... It looks like from the satellite views that they have a dozen or so RV spots that are up front and not just mixed in with the mobile homes... I'm happy to see you give it a recommendation... I don't think we'll be spending a great amount of time in the campground anyway, just 2 nights and then off the the Fort with a preferred site for 9 nights!.

The only problem is their website seems to have an issue with allowing me to make a reservation (or even show me rates!)... I guess I'll have to call.

Fort Desoto looked interesting too, but it appears to be almost an hour from where the reunion activities are going to be held...

Thanks for the help...

--Paul

I'm not surprised about the website- this appears to be a small operation. Like I said, I know some people who had a trailer parked there for a few months for a couple of winters- it's nothing fancy, but it's a place to stay for your brief visit.

You are right about the travel time to Fort Desoto to Safety Harbor. That is a good 45 minute drive. Places in Tampa, like Hillsborough River State Park or Lazy Days would be about the same or more.

TCD