Part of the reason to wait is that I would like our 3 year old to be just a bit older so she is easier to deal with and I think she would have more fun if she was older. The only concern is that also puts our 5 year old at 6 and I wonder if the princess phase will be "little kid stuff" by then. Obviously they is lots to do there and the princess stuff is but one little part but I think right now for my girls it would be the greatest.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK CakeHenn, here's the plan: Drive to Louisiana the first night and swap trucks with Specularius. Nice photos, Specularius. You have more gauges in that cab than even Larry himself. TCD

Put us in the camp of "get there as fast as we can so we can be there as long as possible." In our case we're traveling about 1400 miles from NH. No kids, but we do bring our 3 dogs, so potty breaks

Well I want to thank everyone and this site for turning my afternoon nonproductive as far as work goes but very productive as far as planning goes. Here is what I'm thinking now so far with the sugges

Posted Images

If you want to wait until next year, your oldest daughter won't be too old yet. But, if you wait too long, then she might be. Four and Six will be so cute as princesses...they will definetly need princess hair and make up at the Bippity Bop Boutique! There are several different Princess activities that your girls would enjoy, starting with breakfast at the castle with the princesses. We also did a princess tea at the Grand Floridian, it was a perfect mother daughter event. If you can't get a reservation at the castle, there is also a good princess breakfast, etc. at Akerhaus in Epcot. We will only have the one granddaughter, so we went all out. Although we love the character meals, they take up alot of your Disney time....but its easier to get autographs at a meal than standing in line at the parks.

My son loves traveling and is pretty easy going, but we did a Disney trip when he was 4 months (really for me and DH), just turned 3, and were going back for his 4th birthday. He LOVES it and still talks about random details from last year.

There's something the other Fiends haven't warned you about though. And it's serious.... The Fort ruins all other campgrounds. We were supposed to go somewhere else for Spring Break this year. I started looking for a nice campground and comparing amenities, etc. and nothing compared. I kept thinking, wow, this will cost almost as much as the Fort and isn't as nice.... So guess where we're going.

My son loves traveling and is pretty easy going, but we did a Disney trip when he was 4 months (really for me and DH), just turned 3, and were going back for his 4th birthday. He LOVES it and still talks about random details from last year.

There's something the other Fiends haven't warned you about though. And it's serious.... The Fort ruins all other campgrounds. We were supposed to go somewhere else for Spring Break this year. I started looking for a nice campground and comparing amenities, etc. and nothing compared. I kept thinking, wow, this will cost almost as much as the Fort and isn't as nice.... So guess where we're going.

The most expensive place I've ever camped was an RV resort that was $56/night. It was actually really nice...down on the Texas coast...Port Aransas at a place called Gulf Waters RV Resort. It has it's own private beach access. But yeah FW is around $90/night...way more than I would ever spend anywhere else but it's the kind of thing that in my eyes right now this is a one time deal. Yes I know everyone here is hooked lol....who knows maybe I will get that bug.

One thing that I noticed it looked like the Comfort Stations had ice machines...is that right...free ice? Or should I say as part of your camping fee they offer ice.

One thing that I noticed it looked like the Comfort Stations had ice machines...is that right...free ice? Or should I say as part of your camping fee they offer ice.

Sorry, but no.

Ice is in a vending machine. $2.00 for a typical bag- about what you would pay at a convenience store.

You will find that the word "free" is not something you will hear very much at Disney.

TCD

As far as site costs, check into AAA discounts. You can book directly through Disney and get AAA discount on the campsite only if it is available for your trip. That will save you a good bit, often more than the price of the membership.

Join www.mousesavers.com - sign up for their monthly newsletter, then purchase your park tickets from the link they provide to Undercover Tourist. Best ticket prices available outside of military pricing.

Oh, and if you are active or retired military, check out www.shadesofgreen.org for ticket pricing.

But yeah FW is around $90/night...way more than I would ever spend anywhere else but it's the kind of thing that in my eyes right now this is a one time deal. Yes I know everyone here is hooked lol....who knows maybe I will get that bug.

Famous last words! :rofl2:

Your daughters will love it! We have been making that drive from Dallas for 9 years & yes it's not easy but so worth it. We use I10, same route Judy in Texas said going.

Going we do it in one day but coming home take 2. We leave at 1:30 am & get to the fort by 9 pm. Now we only pull a pop-up but it is a large one so not the same as you but similar.

Our kids are now older so sleep a good part of the way. When they were younger, they were asleep when we left but then when awake watched DVDs a lot. We just made sure they had lots to do in the car.

Coming home we do 2 days. Don't leave Disney until 2 so then stay anywhere from Daphne, Al. to Mobile. Then finish the next day.

I am with Judy that's a long haul for 4 or 5 days. We stay 7 to 10, sometimes more. I would rather push the drive time & have more time at the Fort.

Hi CakeHenn! Hope you're having fun planning. We sure are, and I've really learned a lot from this thread. Like you, we're planning a trip from Texas to the Fort for next Summer. I just booked yesterday at the 499 day mark, and will get our tickets later. We're a bit concerned about the distance too, though it seems like so many do it and love the experience. We have family in Mobile and plan to drive there on day one (about 630 miles from Austin) then on to Orlando on day two (about 500 miles). We plan to stay 10 nights, with probably 6 days at the park. In order to stay so long, I'll have to work a couple mornings in the camper while my family enjoys the pool and other activities. I think it will be worth it in order to extend the magic for all. My kids are 9, 4 & 4 now, and will be 10, 6 & 6 when we travel. While I'm excited for princess fun for my DD, I'm super excited about Star Wars weekend fun for my boys. I'm hoping that the timing works out well. I'm attaching a picture since it sounds like we might have the same new Eagle. We have already begun to create some wonderful family memories. Happy planning! :doublebeer:

Becca

post-5929-0-82341000-1360034718_thumb.jp

Very cool Becca! It looks like we do have the same Eagle...I bet we even bought it from the same place....Crestview??? We were down at McKinney Falls the weekend before last...that's a great State Park in your back yard. Have yall been RVing for a while? I love going to the state parks.

That's amazing you booked it already. I wonder if I should get on the stick and book soon too??? For the rest of the group how early should we be booking?

I'll for sure have to check out the Star Wars stuff while we are there.

Unless you go over July 4th, I would just wait until 2014 rates are released.

I'm thinking we would shoot for Mid to late July to first part of August time frame in 2014. When are 2014 rates released? Also if you book early and cancel or adjust plans are their fees? Is there a deposit to book? If you book before the 2014 rates are released are you able to get the 2013 rates in 2014?

If you book before the 2014 rates are released are you able to get the 2013 rates in 2014?

What are you, some kind of comedian?

First you ask if the ice is free.

Then you want to pay 2013 rates in 2014?

At Disney?

:rofl2:

Just kidding.

But, it doesn't work that way.

If you book before next year's rates are released, you pay a one night deposit based on the highest rack rate for that level of site.

There is no fee or penalty for changing or cancelling that reservation, as long as you do so at least five days before your arrival date.

I am not certain when each year's rates are released, but I believe that it's around the first of each year. If your deposit ends up being too low, you will have to increase it. If it is too high, you will get a credit toward your final payment.

TCD

We did the drive down from NH last summer 1500 miles. We left Friday late afternoon and we stopped and stayed in Cracker Barrel parking lots both Fri & Sat nights. My girls were 9 & 6 at the time. They did surprisingly well for the entire drive!!! I was very happy. They slept most of Friday night as we drove till about midnight. Then Sat we took turns swapping places in VA (they allow as young as 8 to sit in the front). We stopped at a playground for lunch ( I made sandwiches while the girls played)--Just pulled off the highway and stopped at a gas station, they pointed us to the nearest playground. We did the same thing for supper. Drove till 11:30pm, we were at the Fort around 1pm on Sunday.

As for tickets. if you oldest will be 6, check out http://www.disneyyouth.com/our-programs/education/sp/individual-enrollment/#categories-individual-enrollment

Disney YES program

My 9 yr old took the class at the Magic Kingdom last August an it was awesome and worth it!

Good luck!

ps. most of my trip report is here (I have not finished it yet....shame on me).

http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/7551-in-which-we-go-to-disney-and-bring-home-a-kitten/

Hey Cindy - where were the Cracker Barrels you overnighted at? The few times we've tried to find one along 95 we always seem to run into a "no overnight parking" sign. We've resorted to truck stops, but a Cracker Barrel would be quieter... and I could get biscuits for the road. 8)

Ooh and isn't it time for a new Little Lou photo?

HI Mo, We stopped at the in PA the first night in Carlisle I-81 , Exit# 47. We took the "long" way to avoid Rt 95 south.

And then in SC in Walterboro I-95 , Exit# 53.

Good to know - thanks!!

Here's little Lou napping on the couch w/ Ken and my girls.

6F2494D5-C3FF-475E-BB3A-A85EBA4BDFC4-3602-000004F92D3E5284_zps5b2ef014.jpg

Cindy

Aw!!! I'll say it again, that is one LUCKY cat! :heartsmiley: