New Acquaintances, Auld Lang Syne…New Year’s at the Fort!

It's been a while since I've written a TR, even though I've been to WDW several times since my last one. Mostly due to time constraints, but also because some of those trips were very short or had too few photos (or both), and then there's the fact that I'm pretty lazy. I'd rather read everyone else's TR's than create my own.

I noticed that I was coming up on my 700th post. What better way to make that mark than with a TR? I've been inspired by those I've read lately, particularly since some of them are reports of the very same time we were at the Fort.

Once again, this TR will have no park action, so may not be appealing to those of you who crave that. So you can just click on to another one because this will put you to sleep. TCD is about due for a new one so don't despair.

This was our first time spending New Year’s Eve at WDW. And I really hope it’s not the last. Usually, we spend a long weekend at the Fort early in Dec., or the first part of the school winter break, if it begins early enough. Sometimes we go to MVMCP, but mostly we go to see the decorations and just enjoy the atmosphere that is Disney at Christmas time. This year, our district didn’t get out until the 21st, and the weeks leading up to that were packed with obligations elsewhere, so no Fort trip.

What to do? Change it up and go down after Christmas! I had read here on FF so much about how fun it is there on NYE and I knew there would be some fiends there. I started trying to book in Oct. – late, I know – but persisted and finally got a partial for 12/28-1/4. Progress. The problem is, we have a 29’ TT and cannot fit into a partial. I figured I was in, and had a better chance of modifying a res. than getting a new one.

That proved to be quite difficult. As in, right up until my 5-day cutoff point, I still only had the partial. Jumping online and calling EVERY day for weeks. Somehow, got the right CM on the horn and was able to secure a premium for 12/29-12/31. Still didn’t put us in the right type of site for NYE, but I wanted to be there so badly, I took the premium for those nights, then shortened my existing partial res. from 12/31-1/4. Are you with me? I drove the poor CM’s crazy! I figured if I had to I would tent it for a night or 2 then leave early.

Christmas day is traditionally spent at our home. We have a lot of family in the area, but have the youngest kids and the most space, so it works out. After a very hectic and stressful holiday season leading up to the big day, I was already frazzled. Somehow, I got through the day, fed a whole mess of people ham, turkey and all the fixins, managed to find most of what the boys really wanted the fat man to leave under the tree, and held on to my sanity. But boy, was I ever ready to decompress at my happy place.

This is getting wordy, so I'll insert a couple of pre-trip shots of our tree and part of the dinner I prepared:

IMG_3467.jpg

It's not real, but it's spectacular! That sucker is 9 feet tall. It used to be pre-lit til half of them went out and we couldn't get them to come back on no matter what we tried. And we spent WAY more time than I care to admit trying. I love that tree so much though, and couldn't find another one like it. I truly believe pre-lit tree manufacturers purposely give you crappy lights so you go out and buy a whole new tree in 2 years. Well not me! I ripped those suckers off and put my own on. 1400 of them! Damn the man.

IMG_3503.jpg

I cropped all of my relatives out of this one, trust me, the food is way more attractive! Just kidding. I am not certain they'd want to be broadcast on the web with their mouths full of turkey and stuffing. There is a second table of food and people not shown, and the PIES that came out later are also not pictured.

So, back to the days leading up to our trip. As soon as Christmas day passed, I began the list making, food prep, and packing. All while simultaneously trying to adjust our res. for the correct type of site. One day I was on hold for 90 minutes!

The best thing was…….despite starting a new job and being gone a LOT, including leaving the country, my sweet hubs remembered that I had half-jokingly said I wanted a golf cart for Christmas and bought me one! It’s used and older than many of your grown children, but in great shape, with new batteries, tires and a sweet Gator blue paint job!

In the days between Christmas and our departure, we had a windshield and lights installed and bought a utility trailer to carry it on. Now, I am a girlie kinda girl, but not in the uptight way. I was raised in the country and have plenty of redneck tendencies. That was very evident at how excited I was about getting a golf cart and trailer for Christmas! You would think he had bought me a 5 carat diamond!

Here is a shot of it at the Fort after we had that work done. We still have more to do to it, but it was so great having our own ride while there! And yes, I decorated it for Christmas…….although when I got done it looked a little more like a Greek diner in NJ than a golf cart! But hey, it was fun and festive, even had battery-operated lights for night time looping.

IMG_3636.jpg

I'll wrap post 700 up here and pick back up next on departure day!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AWESOME!!!! Can't wait to read more!

Carol, I am actually a little annoyed with myself for not finishing yours before beginning this. I am really trying to read and enjoy all of your wonderful photos! I'm about 2/3 of the way through….

Beautiful tree!! And I love the Seinfeld reference.

And that spread of food! Spectacular!

Thanks! I was hoping someone would catch that. We quote that show quite a bit in our house.

I posted that dinner photo with you in mind :)

Great start!

Thanks! I'm afraid it will be slow-going but figured if I kept putting it off I'd be doing a "Christmas in July" TR!!

I am really excited to read a Fort only TR. I am hoping one day to convince myself it is okay to be that close to Disney and not go to a park.

The food looks pretty yummy.

Oops, forgot to say congrats on the new to you Cart. It is very pretty.

Carol, I am actually a little annoyed with myself for not finishing yours before beginning this. I am really trying to read and enjoy all of your wonderful photos! I'm about 2/3 of the way through….

If you are talking about the early December TR, don't feel bad, I'm not finished with it either!!!

Now the New Years TR, that one was only two posts long, so you may have a problem there :) :rofl2: :rofl2:

I'm in! I'm excited to read a Fort only report.

Your free is freaking awesome!!!!!! And nice light to tree ratio. I read you should have 100 per foot of tree so you exceeded that which is how it should be done!

We are slowly ripping the light off my parents prelite tree. It's a serious PITA. How on earth they get the lights get twisted on the way they do is beyond me.

I did this a few years ago just did the Fort and went down after Christmas for New Years. Now after seeing all these TR I'm wanting to be there for New Years 2014. I just need to get everyone on board. Your tree is beautiful! The food looks yummy! It's such a nice time of year with friends and family! I'm in and waiting for more!

I am really excited to read a Fort only TR. I am hoping one day to convince myself it is okay to be that close to Disney and not go to a park.

The food looks pretty yummy.

Oops, forgot to say congrats on the new to you Cart. It is very pretty.

I know. If we didn't live in FL and were able to visit the Fort as often as we do, I am not sure I'd be able to resist, either. Actually I was trying to convince my husband to spring for passes for this trip. But then he bought the cart and that no longer fit into the budget!

Our family likes to eat, and we make those holiday meals count!

i'm in.

Hi, In! Nice to meet you!

Count me in!

OK! Consider yourself counted.

If you are talking about the early December TR, don't feel bad, I'm not finished with it either!!!

Now the New Years TR, that one was only two posts long, so you may have a problem there :) :rofl2: :rofl2:

Yes, the Dec. one with all of the cool park pictures……and A of A…..etc. etc.

I'm in! I'm excited to read a Fort only report.

Your free is freaking awesome!!!!!! And nice light to tree ratio. I read you should have 100 per foot of tree so you exceeded that which is how it should be done!

We are slowly ripping the light off my parents prelite tree. It's a serious PITA. How on earth they get the lights get twisted on the way they do is beyond me.

I didn't know there was a standard ratio! I probably got a little carried away. Truth be told, I melted part of an extension cord……so will probably cut back next year! I was trying to put too many strands into an old cheap cord and added 3 to replace it so we didn't burn the house down!

I might be distantly related to Clark Griswold.

Wire cutters! And gloves. Even fake trees will tear you arms and hands up!

I did this a few years ago just did the Fort and went down after Christmas for New Years. Now after seeing all these TR I'm wanting to be there for New Years 2014. I just need to get everyone on board. Your tree is beautiful! The food looks yummy! It's such a nice time of year with friends and family! I'm in and waiting for more!

I am hoping to make it an annual thing. But, I have been trying to book since the week we got back home (1/4), and all that's available is a tent site. Phooey!

But, I'm gonna keep trying!!

We were Fort-bound on the 29th. Once again, drove 2 vehicles…….this time because one was towing the camper, the other the golf cart and some Christmas decorations! Even though Christmas had already passed, I still wanted to decorate our site. ‘tis the SEASON, not the DAY, right??? The men drove the big truck, and I was on my own with the cart. Left around lunch after Dad got done working.

I arrived first, around 4. I am actually kind of surprised since I hit some traffic and went slower than usual. It had been a long time since I had driven with something in tow.

I was on the phone with Disney the entire drive down trying to get the res. changed so we would be on the same site the whole time. Got checked in quick, and was assigned to a new-to-us loop: 800. Wasn’t sure about it but they were “overbooked”, as I was told, and there was no moving us. Besides, the amazing CM who checked me in was able to put me in the same site for our entire stay, which I was so happy and relieved to hear, I didn’t care where we were, as long as we fit!

Whew. What a relief! I really didn’t want to spend the rest of day one hanging out in the reception outpost waiting to get all of that straightened out.

She did let me go back to the loop to view 3 sites that could accommodate us for the entire stay. We ended up on 823. The rest of my crew arrived about a half hour after I did and we got right on set-up duties since it was already getting dark out.

I actually have no photos of this day. Fail! But, here is a shot taken later in the week of our site, just to make this post a bit less dull:

IMG_3530.jpg

IMG_3529.jpg

looking down to our neighbors:

IMG_3567.jpg

We were in a loop that had a big group camping together. I have no problem with this, except we were smack in the middle of them, so it was weird. And, they were the parents who allow their small children to run and ride bikes in the road unsupervised. There were a couple of little boys who simply did not think that they needed to move for cars, even big trucks towing gigantic 5th wheels. We actually witnessed one kid run into a moving camper with his bike. It was a problem.

After we got done setting up, we went for a spin in our new cart. I have been to the Fort many, many times and circled those loops in countless rented carts. That virgin voyage in my very own golf cart was like going again for the first time! With the added bonus of all of the holiday hullabaloo!!

Our "home" for 5 days - Jack Rabbit Run!

IMG_3565.jpg

That's it for day one, which was really only evening one. It was pretty chilly, and we hunkered down in our camper, watched tv, and cozied up under the covers for the night.

I am so glad you were able to get one site for your entire stay. What a relief and a great way to start your trip.

Looping for the first time at the Fort in your own cart sounds pretty special.

I don't understand how some parents can be that hands off. I mean, I know I was borderline helicopter when they were younger and am only now letting go, but to be that let go when they are that young? I don't know. I don't get it.

Looking forward to more.

Question at group: Is there a list of all the loop names somewhere?

I am so glad you were able to get one site for your entire stay. What a relief and a great way to start your trip.

Looping for the first time at the Fort in your own cart sounds pretty special.

I don't understand how some parents can be that hands off. I mean, I know I was borderline helicopter when they were younger and am only now letting go, but to be that let go when they are that young? I don't know. I don't get it.

Looking forward to more.

Question at group: Is there a list of all the loop names somewhere?

On the loop info page that Mo maintains, if you scroll down there it shows the names. They are in groups, not one big list.

I'm so glad you hunted me down before we left....I know we looped through 800 but didn't see your site somehow.

I'm glad I got to meet you, too. I don't have a FF sign which is probably why you missed me. Don't tell Lou.

I'm in.

I love Christmas time. Especially at the Disney.

Keep it coming.

Me too, it's my favorite time to go.

Working on my next update!

I'm late, but count me in too!

Tree is gorgeous, food looked delicious.

Thanks. Just getting going, so I wouldn't call you late.

I would call you Stef, because that's your name.

:pc: :pc: :pc:

you're gonna need all that popcorn, I can't promise to be timely with the updates! But I'll try not to drag it on for too long.

Top of Page Two Bragging Rights!

Great job on the Christmas Tree.

And that meal!

And on your cart!

More please!

TCD

Cheers to you, Mr. TOP2BR.

What's on my cart?

On day 2 we slept in. It was Sunday the 30th, and still pretty chilly, the sun was out, but it was cold enough to keep us under the covers longer. We weren’t good like MD’s family, rising early on Sunday mornin’ to find a local Catholic church. Honestly, I probably didn’t even realize it was Sunday. So bad!

After we had eaten breakfast and went for a couple of laps around the Fort in the cart bundled up in blankets looking every bit the Floridians that we are, we busted out the Christmas decorations. Spent the next hour or 2 decorating and re-arranging so all of the extension cords lined up and blinged out the cart.

IMG_3518.jpg

IMG_3516.jpg

IMG_3640.jpg

The boys made a pine cone Mickey:

IMG_3511.jpg

IMG_3510.jpg

IMG_3514.jpg

After lunch they went in search of basketball courts. As I mentioned, we’d never stayed in 800 – or 600, 700, or 900 for that matter – so other than the Trading Post, we weren’t all that familiar with these loops. Part of how we choose our loops is proximity to courts, because the boys are big on basketball. I didn’t have that advantage this trip, being that the Fort was so crowded and we checked in so late.

I went looping alone for a while, stopping to shop in the Trading Posts to browse without the kids. They’re not big shoppers. Then I continued making rounds in search of fiends.

While looping I ran into Donnie, who was stopped in front of Lorna’s site, and got to meet her too. He had a little dog bed on the front seat of his cart next to him, but I didn’t see a dog. Remember I said it was a chilly day? It only got into the low 50’s that afternoon. I had been talking to him for 10 or 15 min. then asked him about the bed. At that point, he unzipped his jacket and out popped 2 pointy ears. That itty bitty pup had been snuggled inside there the whole time and I never knew it was in there! He was keeping her warm, and she him! He had his own personal heater!

We had tacos for dinner, then got all nice and bundled up to ride around and look at all of the decorations. Unfortunately we missed Castle Guy. There were still plenty of folks there, including many of our usual favorites from years past. It is tradition for us to hit them all, wrapped in our special holiday fleece blankets I found last year, while sipping hot chocolate.

DSC01167.jpg

That is Lorna & Carol's site in the background. I wondered how they slept being next door to all of those lights. I am not sure who these folks are, but we hit their display every year. You have to get out and walk through it to take it all in.

DSC01168.jpg

IMG_1017.jpg

DSC01169.jpg

DSC01170.jpg

You can see Carol's T@B in the background here:

DSC01171.jpg

DSC01172.jpg

My family has discovered photo bombing. They've always been fairly good about tolerating my excessive photography while on vacation, and even sometimes in our everyday lives. I don't mind the occasional bomb to lighten the mood and get better smiles, but at times they get pretty carried away with it. I look forward to it wearing off.

DSC01173.jpg

DSC01174.jpg

DSC01175.jpg

I never did get a decent picture of Tow Mater. Guess I'll have to lift one off of TCD's report.

We are still on that same site in 1600:

DSC01176.jpg

DSC01177.jpg

DSC01178.jpg

And now we're moving on.

DSC01180.jpg

This guy is another favorite of ours. I appreciate the clean lines and flow of his set-up. There's a lot there, but it does not overwhelm. I sound like an HGTV decorator don't I? Seriously though, the guy has a nice, neat display, and I could tell a lot of planning and effort went into the design.

DSC01183.jpg

DSC01184.jpg

During our tour, we stopped at the campfire to make some s’mores for dessert. The movie was well underway, but they keep the fires stoked so you can still roast the marshmallows. It would be silly for them to douse the flames once the cowboys stopped their gig and lose all that profit on those ten dollar s’mores kits, now wouldn’t it? Which is why I am ALWAYS equipped with our own ingredients and roasting skewers!

DSC01181.jpg

DSC01182.jpg

We enjoyed our dessert and hung around a little bit to warm up by the fire. My sons, who cringe at the thought of having to watch any movie with a princess as the main character, found themselves immersed in Cinderella. Of course they would vehemently deny this.

IMG_1012-1.jpg

The sing-a-long and movie are usually a must-do for us, but we never made it on this trip. A couple of times it was because none of us wanted to see what they were showing, and one night it rained. This little bit of time spent by the fire was nice,though, and better than not getting over there at all.

This was the coldest day of our trip. I was pretty annoyed because I had checked the weather forecast several times in the days prior to us leaving while I was packing. Even though we live in FL, we do have a couple of heavier jackets for those rare winter days. I usually have to bring them on our Dec./Jan. Fort trips, but didn't this time because the forecast didn't call for temps below 50. But it definitely went below that. Fortunately I had enough clothing to layer the kids up, plus the extra blankets while we were riding on the cart.

My husband packs his own stuff. That quilted flannel shirt/jacket thing you see him wearing in these photos is a point of contention for me. He LOVES that stupid thing, I despise it. He has owned it for as long as I can remember. Sadly, I am pretty sure my mom gave it to him one year when we were visiting them in NY during the winter. I tried to throw it out once. Then it magically reappeared. So, we made a deal that it stays in the camper. Since we live in FL, it rarely makes an appearance. He too didn't really pack for colder temps this time, so he wound up wearing that thing a lot. I know he enjoys how much it bugs me, too.

After a few more rounds in the cart, we headed on back to our camper to warm up. Hung out, played some travel board games, knowing us probably ate another snack, then turned in.

Next up, more new acquaintances are made and we ring in the new year!

Talking about packing and clothing on that last post reminded me about something I forgot to mention on day one.

When we realized how chilly it was outside that first night, I insisted my kids put shoes and socks on before we went looping that night. They had both been wearing Crocs all day.

My oldest discovered that he didn't have any shoes to put on. He had socks, because I had packed his clothes, but I had asked them to grab their sneakers before we left home and put them in the truck. He neglected to do what I asked. He does that a lot.

I knew we couldn't get through the week with him only having the Crocs. But I didn't want to waste our first Fort day battling traffic to drive over to the outlets to get him some sneakers.

I was planning on sending my husband out to grab some dinner anyway, and we needed some milk and fresh fruit from the grocery store anyway, so I decided to go myself and take my darling boy along to try and find some shoes.

We wound up going all the way to Kmart on Apopka/Vineland…..(long story, didn't mean to go so far)……but I got to go to Publix which is right around the corner, and we found a new pizza place that was SO good. It's called "Flippers", and there are several locations in Orlando. I left the menu in the camper, so don't have the exact info, but if you ever have the chance to go I recommend it. We eat a lot of pizza, and that was some good stuff. For the price of that cardboard TE tries to pass off as pizza, twice as big and leftovers for lunch another day.