New Acquaintances, Auld Lang Syne…New Year’s at the Fort!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He made it!

Texted me a while ago and was boarding his last flight to get him HOME. Phew!

For once, it paid to nag. He was going to believe the moron travel person at Amex that "NYC wasn't supposed to get hit that bad" and no need to change his flight.

Meanwhile I kept checking the news reports and reading friends' posts on FB about schools closing and "hunkering down". Texted and emailed my husband like crazy begging him to get back on the phone and switch his flight.

Then the airline ended up canceling it and did it for me anyway!

So you're saying that your nagging was a good thing?

In this case, I'll have to agree with you.

I'm glad your DH didn't get stranded.

Now he can be home for the weekend and put on his flannel shirt.

TCD

Look, I admit I'm a nag…..but I am not happy about it. I don't like having to nag. Why can't you guys just remember what we say the first time?

I'm a little bit older than my husband. He better hope that my mind outlasts his. Because his memory is terrible.

Another reason I was very anxious to have him get home in time is because I had made plans that were a surprise for his early Valentine's gift and didn't want to miss that chance, or lose the money I had spent.

As in, kids are at Grandma's for a sleepover, suite at the beach kind of surprise.

And I did NOT pack his flannel shirt.

Definitely needs to put on the flannel shirt. :D

We tried walking that part of the tracks this past June. Where you walking on brown vines, I was being eaten alive by green stuff.

See above re: that shirt. It seriously stays in the camper, which is 20 miles from home. It's safer there.

I wouldn't venture into the brush at the Fort in June. Unless I were wearing air-conditioned full body armor!

I'm in. Better late than nevah.

Carry On.

:clint:

Yeah! Glad you're here G.

Hope to maybe see you in person next week. Not sure I can get down there but will sure as heck try.

After a day full of meeting fiends and enjoying near-perfect Fort weather, we still had to get down to Clementine Beach for the New Year's Eve Celebration. As I mentioned, we opted to skip the photo booth, lucky duck challenge and trivia portions of the evening. We headed over around 10 pm after I packed some snacks, hot chocolate for the kiddos and a couple of beers for the grown-ups. We circled a few loops on the way over then were directed to the grass between the back of Pioneer Hall and Backyard BBQ to park our cart. It was odd, but we actually got pretty close to the beach so didn't have to walk far at all.

We found some lounge chairs next to some friendly ladies who were not planning to stay all night. The bingo was still going on when we got there, there was a bar set up on the dock, and a dj playing music. We got some hats, and hung out at the chairs for a bit enjoying our drinks.

DSC01187.jpg

DSC01191.jpg

IMG_1019.jpg

IMG_1020.jpg

We were right at the water's edge and the boys were having fun playing with the waves from the boats coming and going. One of them had an idea to write the years in the sand. 2012 got washed away a little by the water, making for a pretty cool photo of "out with the old, in with the new".

DSC01197.jpg

DSC01199.jpg

DSC01201.jpg

DSC01204.jpg

DSC01205.jpg

A lot of kids were playing with glow-stick type of stuff and I remembered that I had a bunch of those in our camper. I always keep a stash of that kind of thing for our camping trips - love the Dollar Tree! It was still a long time before fireworks, so I decided to go and grab them.

Apparently, based on the photos that were on the camera from the time period I was gone, the kids grabbed it and there was plenty of fooling around and some dancing happening.

DSC01206.jpg

DSC01209.jpg

That last one's not so good, and boy would I be in trouble if they knew I was posting it online!

DSC01215.jpg

DSC01216.jpg

In the short time I was gone, a ton of people had come in and the parking, and the beach, were mobbed. But I got lucky and snagged an even closer parking spot from a family I saw leaving as I was pulling in.

The games were now all done and the party was in full swing. I did get one of my boys to go over to the dance floor when "Gangham Style" came on. It's beginning to wear off now, but the was the song of the moment during the last part of 2012 and all of the kids there went nuts! Then they did a gigantic conga line that had to have around 200 people in it, and wrapped around the whole length of the beach almost. I tried to capture it, but it was so dark, it's hard to tell. I have never seen so many people on that beach!

DSC01225.jpg

DSC01226.jpg

DSC01228.jpg

DSC01230.jpg

I took this one because it shows that there were a lot of people, and kids, that were in their pi's. See this guy's slippers? I didn't want to seem like a weirdo taking pictures of people in their pi's. Even though, if you were pi's in public you're kinda asking for it…..

DSC01227.jpg

Also note in that last one the table full of drinks. Ac couple of groups had dragged some of the tables together and made their own little lounge areas complete with liquor, wine, appetizers……the works. You could tell they had done this before and they were in it for the duration. It was so fun! I only managed our dinky little cooler and a couple of sleeping bags (it was damp and chilly by then), but it was just enough for the 4 of us. But I think if there were a bunch of us there next year, that could be fun for those of us who like to see the fireworks and have kids who need to run around.

I need to finish this up and go do some mom taxi duty but will try to sneak in the last of New Year's Eve in a little while. I am quite sure it's pretty much just fireworks photos, but we can never have enough of those right?

Thanks for the Clementine's Beach photos. The TCD gang rung in 2010, 2011, and 2012 there. This year, for the first time, we went to Epcot instead, so we missed the traditional Fort NYE party.

The tables on the beach are a new thing. Those weren't old timers who had done it before, because this was the first time they cleared off the deck to make a dance floor. In the past, you had to dance in the sand.

It looks like that crowd was bigger than what we have seen the previous three years.

Oh, and those free hats? They didn't give those out on the beach the last three years- just in the parks.

It looks like you had a great time!

TCD

Quick update to finish off New Year's Eve.

Some time during the 11 o'clock hour, noise makers were given out. I wondered why there had not been any and wished that I had gotten some for us. Then I realized they intentionally wait to pass them out so we don't have to listen to them for 3 hours! Smart!

Many have already posted their photos of the fireworks that evening….but I am still gonna post mine. I always enjoy the fireworks from the beach and this show did not disappoint. There was a mist in the air so the photos aren't very good but it was a long, bright show in person.

IMG_1023.jpg

IMG_1025.jpg

DSC01232.jpg

DSC01233.jpg

DSC01234.jpg

DSC01235.jpg

Here is the big ta-doo at midnight:

DSC01236.jpg

IMG_1026.jpg

IMG_1027.jpg

OK that is entirely enough fireworks photos. I figured, hey, it's New Year's Eve, so post a bunch of 'em.

On our walk back to the cart we passed this cool gingerbread house cart, I know I saw this in another TR as well. This person is very talented! Loved it.

And, my son has now wrapped himself up in that puffy shirt/jacket thing I love so much.

DSC01237.jpg

We waited for a while before trying to get back to our site. Even so, we encountered quite the golf cart traffic jam. It was like leaving a NASCAR race, but in a golf cart! Gridlock! But, it was entertaining listening to everyone beep their horns and blow the noisemakers.

This is the road between the BBQ and TCD ranch - where you normally cannot drive:

DSC01238.jpg

DSC01239.jpg

We thought it would be fun to do a "Chinese fire drill" since we were at a standstill. It was hilarious. Once we did it, several others followed suit.

I learned that I don't like being on the back of the cart when in one of these jams, though. The headlights from the cart behind you glare in your face and make you feel like you have a spotlight on you!

We rode right back to 823 and got to bed. It was nice to have the warmth of our home on wheels and lay my very tired self down.

This was one of our best New Year's ever. I really hope we can do it again. My husband and I enjoy hanging with our kids since we know it won't last much longer. We had plenty of years before they came along when we got all dolled up and went out on the town for a fancy dinner and champagne at midnight. Now I am content to keep it simple, family time, fireworks, a beer or 2. It was perfect for our family. Maybe a few years from now, we'll see what it's like in one of the parks too.

Next, starting 2013 off in my favorite place on Earth! The BEST way to begin a new year!

Thanks for the Clementine's Beach photos. The TCD gang rung in 2010, 2011, and 2012 there. This year, for the first time, we went to Epcot instead, so we missed the traditional Fort NYE party.

The tables on the beach are a new thing. Those weren't old timers who had done it before, because this was the first time they cleared off the deck to make a dance floor. In the past, you had to dance in the sand.

It looks like that crowd was bigger than what we have seen the previous three years.

Oh, and those free hats? They didn't give those out on the beach the last three years- just in the parks.

It looks like you had a great time!

TCD

I noticed you wrote "Clementine's". That is what I had in my original text. Then I had to refer to the little card that lists the activities for that night because I couldn't remember what they were all called, and noticed that the "official" WDW publication had it as "Clementine". So I changed it. I guess that is one of those things like Meadows/Meadow?

I am surprised they passed out park-only party favors to the lowly campers. I liked the hats so much I kept them. They're plastic cheapies, but kinda cool.

We are all learning from our NYE TR's. I know from reading yours that I will not go to Epcot on NYE until my boys are MUCH older. If then.

Looks like a lot of people and fun!

Yes on both!

Good Lord, my pants have now made it into a third TR!

I do have the photo you mention and it will show up shortly!

OK that just sounded wrong. But I supposed having your pants show up is better than not having them show up?

Looking forward to reading your pending update!

That cart traffic after the fireworks was crazy. We were lucky in that we walked down for the fireworks. But it was a constant stream of carts and blowing horns for a LONG time.

Yes, we heard them too. Not having the AC running in the camper, you hear a lot more at night. Good thing I was so tired, it didn't keep me up.

NYE looks like it was so much fun!

Awesome New Years Eve!!!

Best ever!

OK, the beach title thing was bugging me. I knew I had a photo of the sign someplace, then took one of the card we got that listed all of the NYE activities at the Fort.

Here is the card that was in our packets:

DSC01612.jpg

Here is a close-up of that first paragraph that shows they spelled "Clementine" with no "s". I don't have a purple crayon, maybe TCD can help me out there.

DSC01613.jpg

Now here is a photo I took last year on our spring break trip that shows the sign that sits at the beach:

IMG_1297.jpg

It looks to me like the literature handed out this past New Year's has it wrong. I think the correct spelling is "Clementine's".

Nice work on the missing apostrophe. What is it with WDW and apostrophes?

You are right, everyone can learn something from a trip report. As you mentioned, we decided to go to Epcot's to watch their fireworks at midnight. I would have rather been at Clementine's' Beach's.

Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip!

TCD

Nice work on the missing apostrophe. What is it with WDW and apostrophes?

You are right, everyone can learn something from a trip report. As you mentioned, we decided to go to Epcot's to watch their fireworks at midnight. I would have rather been at Clementine's' Beach's.

Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip!

TCD

Nice. Just insert apostrophes everywhere, one of them has to be the correct spelling.

I can't promise another update today, but will try. Life has been pretty messy this week.

But, maybe I will need an activity to distract me from being starving later on. Fasting today. I always have a hard time with it.

We began our 4th day at the Fort, and 2013, with a yummy breakfast of chocolate chip pancakes and bacon. After sleeping in from our late night of course.

I really can't think of a better way to begin a brand new year than at my favorite place on a beautiful day with my family enjoying a delicious meal in the comfort of my Micky Mouse pi's.

IMG_3576.jpg

I like my little fold-up Coleman stove with the griddle accessory, but have difficulty with getting the temp of it where it needs to be. As you can see below, there were a couple of crispy Mickeys:

IMG_3577.jpg

IMG_3609.jpg

The mix I used was so tasty though, even the crispy ones weren't so bad. It's Krustaez (SP?) I think, and you only need water. Yummy stuff! My husband made the bacon, sorry no bacon photos.

It warmed up nicely today. After we ate and cleaned up the mess - that is the only trouble with making a meal like that while camping - I sat out under the awning, still in pi's, and just enjoyed my surroundings. The boys ran off to play and ride their bikes around the loop.

Here are a couple of shots I took while resting. I can almost hear the birds.

IMG_3586.jpg

IMG_3587.jpg

I finally got off of my lazy butt and got showered and dressed. The boys and I went looping for a little bit. We saw a little boy blowing bubbles from a passing golf cart out of one of those Buzz Lightyear laser-gun things. I thought, what a fun idea. And, I remembered I had something back at our camper.

These:

IMG_3600.jpg

See those 2 tubes on the ground? They are full of bubbles with giant wands that make big ole' bubbles. I told the boys to grab them and off we went. We were on a mission to find that little kid and show him how much better our bubbles were. And boy, did we. Take that, sweet little boy!

Kidding, of course. I think we did see the little guy again, but didn't do or say anything mean.

At some point, Dad joined in and we rode around and around blowing giant bubbles. It sounds so simple, but it was great fun!

IMG_3531.jpg

IMG_3532.jpg

We ended up back in the Settlement area and I took some shots of the holiday decor. It just makes me happy.

IMG_3533.jpg

IMG_3534.jpg

IMG_3536.jpg

A couple of years ago, I remember watching a special on HGTV or something like that about how Disney does their holiday decorating. It had a lot of footage of the huge warehouse where all of it is stored, as well as the facility that creates all of it. That is another job I think I would really enjoy. I tried to use some of what I picked up from watching that and make a garland for my front door at home. I enjoyed it a lot, it didn't look quite as nice as theirs, but I was pleased with the results and it made the door look very festive.

IMG_3539.jpg

IMG_3540.jpg

IMG_3553.jpg

IMG_3551.jpg

Then we headed back to check in on rotting RC.

Along the way:

IMG_3535.jpg

IMG_3537.jpg

Still got the bubbles going.

IMG_3538.jpg

IMG_3541.jpg

IMG_3542.jpg

IMG_3543.jpg

IMG_3544.jpg

I really wish they could have experienced that place. They would have LOVED it. And, with us being big on Fort-only trips, it would really make our experience that much better.

IMG_3545.jpg

IMG_3546.jpg

IMG_3547.jpg

IMG_3548.jpg

Then we headed back to have lunch, doing more looping on the way. I'll pick back up there next.

It looks to me like the literature handed out this past New Year's has it wrong. I think the correct spelling is "Clementine's".

I think that I may be able to shed some light on the apostrophe issue, I believe both are correct. I'm going by practical knowledge as I only have a 9th grade academic education.

Did you notice the apostrophe after the word Wilderness? That allows you to omit the apostrophe and the "s" in Clementine's Beach.

When it just reads Clementine's Beach, it will have the "s" and the apostrophe. With Fort Wilderness preceding it, drop the "s" and the apostrophe in Clementine's and put one after Wilderness.

I think that I may be able to shed some light on the apostrophe issue, I believe both are correct. I'm going by practical knowledge as I only have a 9th grade academic education.

Did you notice the apostrophe after the word Wilderness? That allows you to omit the apostrophe and the "s" in Clementine's Beach.

When it just reads Clementine's Beach, it will have the "s" and the apostrophe. With Fort Wilderness preceding it, drop the "s" and the apostrophe in Clementine's and put one after Wilderness.

You're right. Thanks, professor!

I appreciate someone who has the same respect for the written word as I do.

Were you an English teacher before you drove a bus?

Were you an English teacher before you drove a bus?

That's very funny. I'm so far from being an English teacher that you wouldn't believe.

Being foreign born, I got a late start at learning and speaking English. Growing up, I had to work harder than the other kids and actually I still work at it. I think I'm finally getting the hang of it.