Alcohol on the Disney Cruise line

Jason-

It looks like all your questions got answered.

About bottled water- I have always brought an extra duffel bag on our cruises with a case of bottled water and our snorkel gear for use on Castaway Cay. I have always checked this bag, so I'm not carrying around a case of warer. The water bottles go in to the fridge in the room. It's never been a problem.

People used to check cases of water as luggage, but DCL now prohibits this. Inside a duffel bag has always worked for me.

If you are flying directly there and can't pick up a case of water, they do sell water bottle packages on the ship. I think you pay something like $30 for a case of water. That price makes the tap water taste pretty good. And, I can also confirm that the free drink machines do dispense water, so you can get a cup of ice water there whenever you like.

TCD

We brought aluminum water bottles large ones. We filled them up at the soda upstairs and left them in our room. Our room steward always made sure that we had ice in the ice bucket that way we could mix drinks or just have a soda when we were in our room. It worked out great and no running back and forth. The were probably about liter size bottles. They will not let you just fill them, you have to use the paper cups so there are no germs.

Yes you can ask for a glass of ice water from any bar or the soda fountain on either side of the boat. Going from the pool to the buffet. And unlike other cruise lines the soda fountains are free of charge. And the best thing is there is a ice cream machine there also. Free ice cream!

Thanks everybody for the input. I may pack our aluminum water bottles. I think I am going to look for a duffle bag big enough to hold a case of water. I go through a ton of water and am fairly particular about it. Since we are driving I will just bring an extra case with us.

With this being our first cruise is there any items you can think of we should bring? anything not obvious?

I am planning on bring sunblock and some aloe vera for when I forget to apply the sunblock.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had thoughts on everything you guys mentioned and hit a wrong key. I will retype it later. I am getting lot's of good ideas though. I wonder if we should make a thread for everything you wanted to k

With this being our first cruise is there any items you can think of we should bring? anything not obvious?

I like to bring a small cooler- the collapsible kind that you can carry. Throw a couple cups of ice and some water bottles in there and take that with you on the island. You can also use this on your last day to carry off damp bathing suits that haven't dried from that last ride on the Aqua Duck.

Some people like to make magnets and decorate their doors. It comes in handy when you can spot your door walking down a long hallway.

A waterproof camera is a fun thing to have.

I am planning on bring sunblock and some aloe vera for when I forget to apply the sunblock.

I hope you're kidding.

A sunburn would SMB on a cruise.

TCD

Bring a power strip. The plugs in the cabin are VERY limited.

If you have a CPAP, or some other medical device that you need in bed, bring a second power strip. There WAS an outlet on the bed nightstand, but was situated where the plug that came with the CPAP would not plug into it. We were able to plug a standard plug from a power strip into that receptacle and then plug the CPAP into the power strip.

DO NOT bring a blow dryer. They have blow dryers specifically designed for the power on the ship that plug into a special outlet. Ask your cabin steward.

Bring an old Disney room key to leave in the "light switch" in your cabin. (Or any type of card, your insurance card, AAA card, library membership card, etc.) The lights only work if a card of some sort is inserted to open the circuit. That way you can leave your cruise room key in your lanyard or wallet and don't accidently walk out of the room with your cabin key left in the slot.

Bring an old Disney room key to leave in the "light switch" in your cabin. (Or any type of card, your insurance card, AAA card, library membership card, etc.) The lights only work if a card of some sort is inserted to open the circuit. That way you can leave your cruise room key in your lanyard or wallet and don't accidently walk out of the room with your cabin key left in the slot.

This is a very good tip. Those things are a PITA. We don't leave our lights on, but it was a pain to have to put a key in that thing. It was easier to leave a spare one there.

Speaking of keys, I find a lanyard to be handy. One with a transparent holder for your key card. They don't take cash anywhere on the ship, so you have to use that card. It also has an RFID chip that opens your cabin door. You can scan it while it's still in the holder on your lanyard. There is a little hook inside the cabin where you can hang you lanyards- much easier than keeping your keys in your pocket.

TCD

I like to bring a small cooler- the collapsible kind that you can carry. Throw a couple cups of ice and some water bottles in there and take that with you on the island. You can also use this on your last day to carry off damp bathing suits that haven't dried from that last ride on the Aqua Duck.

Some people like to make magnets and decorate their doors. It comes in handy when you can spot your door walking down a long hallway.

A waterproof camera is a fun thing to have.

Water Camera- you mean for the rain :rofl2:

Aquaduck - It that what that big tube was :rofl2:

Don't bother bringing quarters. The vibrating beds are free. Unless you have a forward cabin. Then you are out of luck.

Unless you are on deck two, then they rock you to sleep.

This is a very good tip. Those things are a PITA. We don't leave our lights on, but it was a pain to have to put a key in that thing. It was easier to leave a spare one there.

Speaking of keys, I find a lanyard to be handy. One with a transparent holder for your key card. They don't take cash anywhere on the ship, so you have to use that card. It also has an RFID chip that opens your cabin door. You can scan it while it's still in the holder on your lanyard. There is a little hook inside the cabin where you can hang you lanyards- much easier than keeping your keys in your pocket.

TCD

The lanyard was exceptionally handy during the cruise and at WDW

Be sure to contact your credit card company and/or bank before you go to let them know of your travel plans.

When we sailed out of Tampa they had a hold on our account before we had even left to go on the cruise. We had to call right before we boarded to get things fixed.

• 10 months later...

First off, this policy by DCL is absolutely amazing!!!  I am not trying to sound like all I care about on a vacation is drinking, but at the same time I'm on vacation and enjoy to have drinks.  Their policy of each adult being able to carry on alcohol that can fit into a 14x22x9 carry on is VERY generous.  I don't know how many people have actually tried to see how much you could put in a bag that size, but it is a lot.  On our 4 night cruise in February we brought a couple of 1.75 liter bottles.  Their policy is they don't want you bringing it out into the public areas, but I'm pretty sure that is to discourage carrying a bottle of something around the ship.  What I did was just poured my alcohol into a water bottle and put it in our pool bag.  Then when we got to the pool area I would get a soda or lemonade from the self serve fountains (another plus for DCL) and make my own drinks.  As long as your aren't making a huge scene of it not one person will say anything. 

First off, this policy by DCL is absolutely amazing!!!  I am not trying to sound like all I care about on a vacation is drinking, but at the same time I'm on vacation and enjoy to have drinks.  Their policy of each adult being able to carry on alcohol that can fit into a 14x22x9 carry on is VERY generous.  I don't know how many people have actually tried to see how much you could put in a bag that size, but it is a lot.  On our 4 night cruise in February we brought a couple of 1.75 liter bottles.  Their policy is they don't want you bringing it out into the public areas, but I'm pretty sure that is to discourage carrying a bottle of something around the ship.  What I did was just poured my alcohol into a water bottle and put it in our pool bag.  Then when we got to the pool area I would get a soda or lemonade from the self serve fountains (another plus for DCL) and make my own drinks.  As long as your aren't making a huge scene of it not one person will say anything. 

:welcome2:

I just need to say....that you should post more often.  Your first post on Fortfiends.net and it's about alcohol.  I like you already!  :rofl2:

Our room host delivered two wine glasses to our room the very first day without asking!  We went to safety drill and came back and there they were.  You can bring as much as you can carry on.  Saw plenty of people walking all over the ship with the ship's wine glasses.  I guess you can't tell if it was your own or purchased from the many bars.  It seems more and more common now.

Our room host delivered two wine glasses to our room the very first day without asking!  We went to safety drill and came back and there they were.  You can bring as much as you can carry on.  Saw plenty of people walking all over the ship with the ship's wine glasses.  I guess you can't tell if it was your own or purchased from the many bars.  It seems more and more common now.

Agreed.  We didn't bring wine, but brought Kahlua pre-made drinks with us. There were some high ball glasses in the room, so I would pour one over ice into the high ball glass and bring it to dinner with me.

Related question...

It's been a while since our last cruise (and it was RC) but at that time any alcohol we bought in port had to be checked with the ship when you returned - as in you couldn't take it directly back to your cabin. Everything was delivered to you the night before you debarked. Same rule applied to any alcohol bought on the ship.

Does anyone know if that may have been specific to RC or have things changed so that you can now bring back whatever you've purchased in port without any issues, or do you need to "discreetly" bring it back on board with you?

ETA: got my answer in Dave's post above - thanks!

When we took our RC cruise two years ago, Steve tried sneaking what we had bought in port, but they caught him and made him turn it in.  They did not deliver it the night before and instead made you get it the morning of departure.  

• 1 month later...

We have been on several Disney cruises.  At Port Canaveral we carried on in a collapsible cooler about 60 beers.  they want it to fit in the security screener for you carry on.  We stopped at Key West and just carried on 2 more cases of beer (no questions asked) I took a 5th of Vodka on in my carry on.  (FYI we were with a large group) I love that if you want a glass of wine or a pre dinner drink in your room you don't have to hide it.  For those of you that think you will buy it on the ship at the duty free shop DON'T.   They hold those purchases until you disembark. 

We have been on several Disney cruises.  At Port Canaveral we carried on in a collapsible cooler about 60 beers.  they want it to fit in the security screener for you carry on.  We stopped at Key West and just carried on 2 more cases of beer (no questions asked) I took a 5th of Vodka on in my carry on.  (FYI we were with a large group) I love that if you want a glass of wine or a pre dinner drink in your room you don't have to hide it.  For those of you that think you will buy it on the ship at the duty free shop DON'T.   They hold those purchases until you disembark. 

[This is Dave.....I'm on INC's tablet and don't remember my login.]

I'm glad you pointed out you were with a large group.  108 beers and a fifth of vodka is a lot even for a Fiend.  :rofl3:

[This is Dave.....I'm on INC's tablet and don't remember my login.]

I'm glad you pointed out you were with a large group. 108 beers and a fifth of vodka is a lot even for a Fiend. :rofl3:

That's less than 8 beers a day each for a couple on a week long cruise. Where I come from we call that "just getting started"! Lol

You can even "re-stock" when you get to one of the foreign ports as well.  Just buy what you want or need and bring it on board.  We re-loaded in Cozumel, the liquor store is right at the end of the dock.

Not sure when you last cruised, but this past summer, DCL cracked down on the collapsible coolers.  There were many reports of guests not allowing to board with them.

I have a collapsible cooler that I had used on our previous five DCL cruises, but for our August 2013 cruise I decided not to chance it.  I brought my booze on board in a wheeling duffle bag.  It wasn't cool, but I had it, and the fridges on the Dream work better than the old cooling boxes on the Magic and Wonder, so no problem.

Don't count on being able to use that collapsible cooler on your next cruise.

TCD

Not sure when you last cruised, but this past summer, DCL cracked down on the collapsible coolers.  There were many reports of guests not allowing to board with them.

I have a collapsible cooler that I had used on our previous five DCL cruises, but for our August 2013 cruise I decided not to chance it.  I brought my booze on board in a wheeling duffle bag.  It wasn't cool, but I had it, and the fridges on the Dream work better than the old cooling boxes on the Magic and Wonder, so no problem.

Don't count on being able to use that collapsible cooler on your next cruise.

TCD