Cuban Cigars

We will be doing our 1st cruise in Oct., 1st time without kids, for our 25th anniversary and I've been told you can buy Cubans while in port. We will be doing a 7 night western Caribbean on the Fantasy and if I can find a cuban I think I'm going to have to have one. Any truth to this ? and if so are they found in every port ?

We will be doing our 1st cruise in Oct., 1st time without kids, for our 25th anniversary and I've been told you can buy Cubans while in port. We will be doing a 7 night western Caribbean on the Fantasy and if I can find a cuban I think I'm going to have to have one. Any truth to this ? and if so are they found in every port ?

If I remember, I'll check next month, were doing that cruise Mar 2-9.

I don't know if they are in every port but I've seen them in most. But be careful who you buy them from they may tell you they're Cubans but they might be fakes. If your going to Cozumel go to Papa Hogs dive shop. The owner usually has a good selection of smokes. If he doesn't he will no where to find some. Enjoy!

What Ray said. Be careful of the shop you buy in.

I've been told that the Cubans make good cigars, but some other countries have caught up.

My suggestion: Try many often! :clint:

And let me know what you think of any you try, please! I love good smokes.

I prefer maduros with a medium to strong smoke. What's your preference?

I don't know if they are in every port but I've seen them in most. But be careful who you buy them from they may tell you they're Cubans but they might be fakes.

I can confirm this. I haven't yet been to every cruise port in the Caribbean, but every one I've been to so far has had a guantlet of locals lined up to meet passengers leaving the ship. You will have no problem finding someone offering to sell you "Cuban" cigars. The problem is, they aren't always the most upstanding looking people. Every cruise port will also have multiple shops selling all kinds of booze and tobacco. Most ships have a list of recommended shops. I guess you would be pretty safe buying a "Cuban" cigar from one of those shops.

I've been told that the Cubans make good cigars, but some other countries have caught up.

I just had this conversation with a guy I met a couple of weeks ago.

He was in town to visit the Ybor City section of Tampa, which has a well know community of Cuban Americans who make cigars. This guy owns a cigar bar somewhere in Indiana, and was on a shopping trip.

The fellow told me that Cuban cigars from Cuba are passe'. Cuba is a third world country. They cannot make a consistent product. Folks have taken Cuban tobacco to other places, like Honduras, and are growing tobacco and rolling cigars which are superior to anything coming out of Cuba these days.

Cuban cigars cannot legally be imported to the US, and it is illegal to bring them back with you on a cruise.

I haven't heard of anyone being caught with illegal Cuban cigars, but I wouldn't want to be one of them.

TCD

Hey thanks everyone, I'm sure you would have to be very careful where you buy from but at least it sounds like they will be available. As for what I prefer, I lean towards a maduro wrapper but have no problem with a natural wrap something in a 36 - 46 ring prefer a 42 - 44 ring 6 or 7 inch medium to full body depending on my mood.