OT - Could use some advice for a very jumpy puppy

We have a pitbull / boston terrier mix - 6 months old - she is a wonderful dog, very smart and loving - but suddenly she is jumping on everything.  She has always been high energy and bouncy but no matter what I do I can?t see to get her to stop jumping on people, furniture, etc.  Its driving me a little bananas.  We tried ignoring the jumping, we taught her to sit, she still goes nutso whenever someone walks in the room.  Will she grow out of it you think?  Any tips or advice would be appreciated - we are novice dog owners.   

We have an almost 4 mo old goldendoodle/border collie mix who loves to jump on everyone- we found if it is someone entering the room or standing, the best solution was for the person of interest to totally ignor her until she has all 4 on the floor. I have them turn their backs to her and not show her any attention until she figures out what she needs to do to get the attention. We do this with her as well any time she exibits unwanted behaviors like jumping up on us or my favorite is when she climbs behind me on the couch and bites my hair  :rofl2:

When she exibits the behavior that you want, then she can be rewarded with the attention she was trying to get.

Hope this helps some  :rofl2:

Beautiful mix for a dog. It takes time but one thing you need to do is be firm and consistant. If you don't want her on something be firm and say down. If she jumps up on people be firm and say down. Don't laugh it off or pass it by the odd time. Be firm and make sure your dog knows whos master. I'm to the point now i don't even have to say anything to my dog. I just look and nod my head and she knows. Be patent and work hard and you will have a well behaved dog. I also recomend a halti dog collar for training a walking dog. Oh and when you come home (this one is a tough one) pay the dog no attension at all until you are in and settled. It gives the dog a chance to calm down from the initial reaction of there human pets coming home. These are all things we learnt by a trainer when we had problems with a dog years ago.

Age will help, but best suggestion - have everyone that comes to visit (as best you can) turn their backs on her every. single. time. she jumps.  No scolding or punishment required, just keep turning away.

The second her hiney hits the ground...

GOOD GIRL!!!  (treats rain from the sky)

My mom's dog is a lab/pit mix.  As a rapidly approaching 100 lb puppy, he was a torpedo to anyone coming in the door.  And I mean... brace yourself and shield your face (eek)

I walked in one day and mom was whacking his enormous butt with a newspaper shouting "down Zeke! down Zeke! down Zeke! down Zeke!"

Um... yeah... Zeke didn't have a clue what "down" meant.  ;)

I told her to stop (before I whacked HER with the newspaper) and every time Zeke bounced up at me I just turned my back on him.  He'd come around and bounce again, I turned away.  I went around in circles about 3 times and then he just sat.

YIPEE!!!  Cookies and praise abound.

Brady was a jumper as a pup too.  He was also a whacked out basket case of a dog.  But the one thing he knew to do was sit. 

So we asked him to sit for EVERYTHING - attention, toys, dinner, going outside, you name it.  Each time he sat he got a treat.

Before long his default behavior if you even so much as looked in his direction was to sit.

9 years later (today in fact!!) and whenever he's not sure what to do, or if he even suspects there's food in the offing, he sits.

Very handsomely I might add.

3875225351_543c205408_z.jpg?zz=1

Good luck!!!

• 1 month later...

I've been reading a book from Cesar Millan - Cear's Way has some really good advice and may change your way of thinking about a training your Dog.  One of the things he say's is it'a all about the energy!  Try being Calm- Assertive!  I haven't read it all but it's really good.  I have one that I rescued proably 4 years old and he jumps on me all the time.  I've tried the turning my back until he is calm submissive then I turn around.  I think I was kind of surprised yesterday when it seemed to work.  Good Luck! 

Ignoring the behavior and rewarding him the *second* he has all 4 feet on the floor is the best thing you can do.  It teaches him that the bad behavior gets him nothing and exactly what the GOOD behavior is that you want from him.

But you have to COMPLETELY ignore the behavior. 

Turning away works great, but you can't say anything or acknowledge him at all or you run the risk of inadvertently rewarding the behavior.  Remember, for some dogs, even just attention can be a reward.

Also work on a default behavior - sit is easy.  Have your dog sit for EVERYTHING - attention, treats, meals, toys, you name it.

In the training world it's called "Nothing In Life Is Free" (NILIF) and it works wonders to cure problem behaviors in a positive way, without the need for force or correction. 

The goal is to teach your dogs the good behaviors you want.

If you only correct the behaviors you don't and never teach your dog what you DO want, you just have a confused dog that keep "getting it wrong."  Eventually if they're corrected often enough without being taught what's expected of them, you get what are known as "porch sitters."  These are dogs that eventually offer up few, if any behaviors, because they've come to the conclusion that they're going to get punished no matter what they do.  These dogs can often appear "calm" but what they really are is shut down and withdrawn, essentially afraid to put a toe out of line.

Please be careful with some of Cesar Milan's recommendations.  While there is some good in what he espouses, some of his methods can also be detrimental to your dog at best and dangerous to you at worst. 

What Milan does well as a trainer is to read a dog's behavior and body language. That's why he can appear to change a behavior very quickly, because he generally has an innate understanding of what is going on with the dog.

But most average people are not at all good at reading or understanding what is REALLY going on with their dogs and therefore we tend to react incorrectly.  I see it all the time with people relinquishing dogs to rescue.  They describe behaviors and why they think they're happening, and 9 times out of 10 they're completely off the mark.  And as a result they haven't handled the situation properly and it continued to escalate until they're at a point that they want to get rid of their dog.

If you're using Milan's harsher training methods (which I *really* don't advise) this can be dangerous.

I know of MANY dogs that have been irreparably harmed by harsh, correction-based training methods.

And I know too many people who've tried to do some of the "alpha" stuff that Milan advocated... and gotten bitten.

Well -w e have had the puppy just about 7 months and she still jumps on everyone.  I feel like we have tried everything.  The worst part is if you ignore her - she jumps and bites.  I have a professional trainer comming to the house in a couple of weeks - Very expensive - but I need to know what we are doing wrong or this just isnt going to work out when the baby comes.  Keep your fingers crossed for me.

The bitey part is a bad habit to get into at this age so you definitely want to sort that out sooner than later.

I'll share what my mother (didn't) learn when she had a trainer come to her house for her 100lb jumping lab/pit mix (seriously, this dog would knock you down!)...

The trainer did a great job in short order in getting Zeke to sit instead of jump, and gave my parents a good plan of action... which they promptly ignored or only randomly enforced.  The jumping resumed almost immediately. <sigh>

Make sure everyone in the family is on board with what the trainer tells you and is consistent in reinforcing it.  Otherwise your dog will either be confused that the rules aren't consistent (= more jumping/biting) ...or she'll find the weak link(s) and be good with some of you but not with others.

Good luck, Whip - I hope the trainer helps!