After our Disney trip this year we are thinking of selling our TT and upgrading to something roomier. Our truck isn't up to hauling the kind of 5th wheel we would want and a truck upgrade along with a camper upgrade is just too much. Towing a trailer is just too stressful on long trips, which is what we want to do, so we are looking at the C's and A's. We have found a good selection of floor plans we like among the different brands but I'm having a hard time finding reviews. I read the thread with the big thumbs down for Thor, does anyone know if Coachman is good? Itasca? We are leaning towards a class A but on the lower end of the price scale, under $120k, under $100k even better. Any and all help is appreciated.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Clearly the greatest advantage to a MOHO over a TT is that in the MOHO, you can set the cruise and go back, make a sandwich, go to the bathroom, take a nap, watch Dr Phil.

Have you considered looking at used units? Depreciation on a new moho in the first couple of years is tremendous. We love our Class A. But it all depends on your family unit and the layout. Keep l

We did get to look at a Grey Hawk, they were very nice. Unfortunately the dealer for those in our area doesn't really make good deals. But if they get in something we like used we are still open to

Have you considered looking at used units? Depreciation on a new moho in the first couple of years is tremendous.

We love our Class A. But it all depends on your family unit and the layout. Keep looking until you find the right unit at the right price.

The only MH I have owned was an Itasca Sunova 35J...which is a class A gas bunk model. Itasca is manufactured by Winnebago, which is a well respected brand in the motorhome industry.

I would buy our Itasca again, in a heartbeat. Loved it! Quality was great. Built solidly. Winnie uses one piece fiberglass roofs on their MH's which I liked...less risk of leaking compared to EPDM/rubber roofs I think. Warranty coverage for us was good, but we didn't need it much.

Take a look online at the 35J and see if it would fit your family's needs. The identical Winnebago to the Itasca is called the Sightseer. I'd also look at the comparable Tiffin model.

Like Gwen said, if you would consider used you can save a ton AND get a better MH for your money than if you bought new. For example, Winnie now sells a lower priced bunk class A MH than the Sunova/Sightseer line. The finishes are a bit lower in refinement than the Sightseer and Sunova...but it is priced now to where our Sunova was in 2007. IMO you now get less for the same money. If you look at a 3 or 4 year old Sightseer or Sunova, you can find clean units for around $60k compared to $100k new. You don't get the warranty from Winnie or the chassis warranty from Ford, but you can buy aftermarket coverage if that's important to you.

Good luck, and have fun shopping!

I don't know what type of TT you have or how many are in your family but I do know that Moho's are not roomier than TT's in general. Prior to getting our 5er, when we were in a 29 ft TT, we thought a C or a gas A was the next step, for the same reasons you mentioned. After a lot of internet research we went to the Hershey show and were able to see our floorplan in every line. We just couldn't see the 6 of us in one of those units. They were just too small. Maybe we could fit in a diesel pusher but no way we could take that hit.

That being said, we did like the Jayco Grey Hawk and the Fleetwood's for quality in our price range.

Have you considered looking at used units? Depreciation on a new moho in the first couple of years is tremendous.

We love our Class A. But it all depends on your family unit and the layout. Keep looking until you find the right unit at the right price.

We aren't ruling out a used, we are looking at everything right now.

The only MH I have owned was an Itasca Sunova 35J...which is a class A gas bunk model. Itasca is manufactured by Winnebago, which is a well respected brand in the motorhome industry.

I would buy our Itasca again, in a heartbeat. Loved it! Quality was great. Built solidly. Winnie uses one piece fiberglass roofs on their MH's which I liked...less risk of leaking compared to EPDM/rubber roofs I think. Warranty coverage for us was good, but we didn't need it much.

Take a look online at the 35J and see if it would fit your family's needs. The identical Winnebago to the Itasca is called the Sightseer. I'd also look at the comparable Tiffin model.

Like Gwen said, if you would consider used you can save a ton AND get a better MH for your money than if you bought new. For example, Winnie now sells a lower priced bunk class A MH than the Sunova/Sightseer line. The finishes are a bit lower in refinement than the Sightseer and Sunova...but it is priced now to where our Sunova was in 2007. IMO you now get less for the same money. If you look at a 3 or 4 year old Sightseer or Sunova, you can find clean units for around $60k compared to $100k new. You don't get the warranty from Winnie or the chassis warranty from Ford, but you can buy aftermarket coverage if that's important to you.

Good luck, and have fun shopping!

We actually spent the whole day shopping yesterday and had a great time! So far we are really taken with a Coachman Leprechaun (why did they have to name it that???), a Class C. We didn't get to see any Itasca's yet so we'll see. We are taking our time and making sure we love what we pick since this is such a major purchase.

I don't know what type of TT you have or how many are in your family but I do know that Moho's are not roomier than TT's in general. Prior to getting our 5er, when we were in a 29 ft TT, we thought a C or a gas A was the next step, for the same reasons you mentioned. After a lot of internet research we went to the Hershey show and were able to see our floorplan in every line. We just couldn't see the 6 of us in one of those units. They were just too small. Maybe we could fit in a diesel pusher but no way we could take that hit.

That being said, we did like the Jayco Grey Hawk and the Fleetwood's for quality in our price range.

We did get to look at a Grey Hawk, they were very nice. Unfortunately the dealer for those in our area doesn't really make good deals. But if they get in something we like used we are still open to that. We have time so hopefully the perfect unit at the perfect price will come our way. Just gonna keep looking!

Yeah I also didnt understand the size problem being somehow solved by a MH. I also don't understand the stress element...if you are stressed driving a truck and TT combo what makes you think driving a class A is all that less stressful? Or are you just saying the people other than the driver could relax and enjoy the trip more...that does make sense.

Finally you say you don't have the money for a new truck and a new 5 wheel but then say your budget is $100-120k for a MH? You could buy a nice used 3/4 or 1 ton diesel truck for $30-40k. The other thread in this section lists a very nice 5th wheel that had a 40k show price. You would have much more room in a 5th wheel.

I also don't understand the stress element...if you are stressed driving a truck and TT combo what makes you think driving a class A is all that less stressful? Or are you just saying the people other than the driver could relax and enjoy the trip more...that does make sense.

We made the switch from a truck/TT to a moho six years ago.

Driving a Class A is MUCH less stressful for several reasons:

Weight -- feels like it adheres to the road better/more traction.

When a tractor-trailer passes us, we don't feel the crosswinds nearly as much. Also normal high winds don't bother us.

Length -- we're shorter than a truck/TT combo.

Easier to back up.

Braking system is better on a moho.

You can see better in a moho.

We don't have to stop every hour for someone to go to the bathroom.

We can drive 1,000 miles without stopping for fuel.

If the driver gets hungry and doesn't want to stop, someone can get him/her a snack.

Nothing to hitch up. If you have a dinghy, it's quick and easy compared to hitching the trailer.

Yes, also other people can relax and enjoy the ride more. When David is driving, I'm in my recliner with a good book.

I'm sure there are many more things. These are the big ones.

Clearly the greatest advantage to a MOHO over a TT is that in the MOHO, you can set the cruise and go back, make a sandwich, go to the bathroom, take a nap, watch Dr Phil.

Yeah I also didnt understand the size problem being somehow solved by a MH. I also don't understand the stress element...if you are stressed driving a truck and TT combo what makes you think driving a class A is all that less stressful? Or are you just saying the people other than the driver could relax and enjoy the trip more...that does make sense.

Finally you say you don't have the money for a new truck and a new 5 wheel but then say your budget is $100-120k for a MH? You could buy a nice used 3/4 or 1 ton diesel truck for $30-40k. The other thread in this section lists a very nice 5th wheel that had a 40k show price. You would have much more room in a 5th wheel.

The TT we have now is on the small side, very little storage options and only a half slide so not much room to move, especially with one or two small dogs under foot. Pretty much any upgrade we do will be more space. We are only a family of 3 so we don't need huge space, just more. We ran the numbers again (we aren't making the purchase until early 2015) and yes, we probably could replace our truck and do a 5th wheel but honestly, along with all the reasons Gwen listed, we especially love the idea not having to hitch and unhitch a trailer. We found a class C that we really like and if we get all our financial ducks in a row I think that is the best fit for us.

As the driver/budget person for nutters4wdw I can explain this =)

1. While our budget was 100-120k we were able to find exactly what we wanted at 85k. This ruled out the truck trailer pretty quick. Part of that consideration was having to use the big truck as a daily driver, gas seems to not be getting cheaper =( and our F150 is bad enough to park :rofl3:

2. With the kid, a bunk house arrangement is the only floorplan in the trailers/5ers we like. Unfortunately this cuts from the living space we would like to see. The class C with the over cab bunk solved this issue.

3. Convenience, pure and simple. For the above mentioned 85k we found a Class C with auto levling, hideaway TV that faces directly to the sofa, U shaped diner, nice window placement, outdoor kitchen and decent wardrobe. We found some class A's that had all this in our budget window, but the class C had it all at less so thats really the way we are looking.

On stress, the setup we have now is a 06 Jayco 29BHS and Ford F150 Ecoboost. The truck is plenty in weight capacity and power to tow but I don't think I would feel comfortable towing much more than we have and right now we are quite long as is. We tend to pack light at least. It's not to bad once you get used to it, but a trailer can get away from you real quick. We use a Equilizer Load Distrubting Hitch setup and it pulls nice but I can still really feel when a big rig passes us :whew: . The CIPA slide on mirrors are awesome too. I spent 4.5 years driving a varitety of large vehicles in the Air Force and honeslty the Truck/Trailer is the most on edge bunch of driving I have had to do. The only upgrade I think I could do to our current setup is moving to LT E rated tires.

Now as for used, we will definetly be looking at that market when the time comes. If we can find the right model in the right condition I think it's an easy deal. We got our Jayco used and it was a great bargain at 20% under book and a good 4k less than the same units on dealer lots. Not to mention in ten times better shape. We had to invest about $1100 in it to do a full systems check and new rubber that was correctly rated for the load and not weather checked). The main issue we will have with used though is it has to be a very specific model in a specific timeframe and that limits our selection. Fingers crossed though.

Thanks for the input so far, all very good things to consider.

Class A advantage to us was huge basement storage and stability on the road. Feels roomy too. Disadvantage is they are made more for two people as everyone else sleeps on a sofa sleeper or dinette. On the Class C you do have the overhead plus the dinette and sofa sleeper, besides the bedroom. Trailers generally don't have the basement storage as much. They can sleep more though. So if storage is a concern, look towards a Class A, which btw I have seen last year models at 69K at an RV show. 2 slides included. A real deal.

Hitching/unhitching seems to be an issue for you. What do you expect to do when you get to a campground? Many class c drivers and most class a drivers have a toad. Has to be hitched and unhitched.

Class A advantage to us was huge basement storage and stability on the road. Feels roomy too. Disadvantage is they are made more for two people as everyone else sleeps on a sofa sleeper or dinette. On the Class C you do have the overhead plus the dinette and sofa sleeper, besides the bedroom. Trailers generally don't have the basement storage as much. They can sleep more though. So if storage is a concern, look towards a Class A, which btw I have seen last year models at 69K at an RV show. 2 slides included. A real deal.

We have a couple of good RV shows down here, we love going and it will be even better when we are shopping for real and ready to buy. Will absolutely be looking for a deal! We will get more storage in the Class C than we have now, and the cab over bunk lets us have a space for the boy without losing kitchen/living space. I've looked at tons of 5er floor plans and the Mirada Class A and any time you have a bunk the kitchen gets tiny. With a family of only three it is a trade off we don't have to make if we go for the Class C.

Hitching/unhitching seems to be an issue for you. What do you expect to do when you get to a campground? Many class c drivers and most class a drivers have a toad. Has to be hitched and unhitched.

The best part of this quest for our next rv is that it is the carrot at the end of the stick for getting our debt knocked out. If everything goes as planned when we are ready to buy we will be able to get the camper that fits us best. We love our little TT, we have had some great trips and have wonderful memories. But unhitching after a long day of driving when everyone is tired and cranky and just wants to eat and go to bed is not part of the trailer experience I am attached to. If we end up with a toad it will be a 4 down tow, no trailer, Easier unhitch. TTs and 5ers are generally more budget friendly and if our plan falls apart that's the way we would go. We aren't going to give up camping if we can't do the C. But if we can get ourselves positioned to get into the Class C that we want, and we will be looking at used too, we think that is going to be the best fit for our family.

• 2 weeks later...

i don't know if this was brought up--but, a class C is less expensive to insure than a class A. When we had our seneca (super c) the insurance co would send our renewal as an A and we would have to call and let them know that it was a C. It was less to insure. not sure if it is true all the way around but, you may want to check with your insurance.

i don't know if this was brought up--but, a class C is less expensive to insure than a class A. When we had our seneca (super c) the insurance co would send our renewal as an A and we would have to call and let them know that it was a C. It was less to insure. not sure if it is true all the way around but, you may want to check with your insurance.

Thanks, that's good to know!

• 1 month later...

I have a Thor Motor Coach and Love it.  There are a lot of Class A's out there that now have the bunk.  Mine is the ACE 29.2 model(acemotorhome.com).  It is under $100K.  I found driving the Class A was much easier then driving the Class C.  I also felt more stressed pulling my little rPod TT that I had before this motorhome.  I pull the Honda Pilot that I used to pull the TT.

We LOVE our Class C ....we also had a TT, but found a great deal on a Motorhome, and I absolutely love it. We took it to the Fort last Fall, my daughters sat at the table, colored, played games, and watched movies while my husband and I took turns driving (I find it easy to drive....feels like driving a truck)....we also camp locally (almost every weekend in the summer) and it is so nice to just jump in the camper and go....It is a Vista Cruiser mini...looks small on the outside, but extremely roomy on the inside. Oh yeah, we also have to little pups underfoot as well!!!! I think you will be happy with a Class C!!!!

The TT we have now is on the small side, very little storage options and only a half slide so not much room to move, especially with one or two small dogs under foot. Pretty much any upgrade we do will be more space. We are only a family of 3 so we don't need huge space, just more. We ran the numbers again (we aren't making the purchase until early 2015) and yes, we probably could replace our truck and do a 5th wheel but honestly, along with all the reasons Gwen listed, we especially love the idea not having to hitch and unhitch a trailer. We found a class C that we really like and if we get all our financial ducks in a row I think that is the best fit for us.

• 2 weeks later...

We have 4 kiddos and have a Class Super C (Diesel) Jayco Seneca.  We have the bunk model.  We also looked at the Leprechaun.  It's a beautiful unit.  The thing I have issues with on Gas models is often the couch is seated next to the stove. I have a toddler and was concerned about him climbing up on to the couch and touching a burner. I Love 5th wheels and the space it offers and many models have a separate quad bunk room (as well as the TT models) and u-shaped dinettes (all of which is on our wish list!) but for us, we travel so much for work we didn't want our kiddos to be strapped down in car seats for 8 hours at a time. Also stopping for restrooms and eating really slowed us down so a MOHO was the only logical option.  Don't get me wrong, we LOVE our Rig but we did give up some "Home Comforts" to accommodate the number of hours we have to spend in it traveling.  I have found that it is such a personal decision on what works for each family.  I will also agree with everyone who has suggested used.  It really is amazing what is out there.  We were pleasantly surprised with the number of units that were for sale with very low miles and a fraction of the cost (including ours!!!)  keep us posted on what you pick!