I hear ya, but that v10 is a great engine!  I've had that powertrain in both the class A we used to have as well as my current tow vehicle.  It's a nice puller, and seems to be reliable.  It'll scream at the top of its lungs when climbing a grade, but don't worry about it.  And it does a nice job in tow/haul mode on the downslopes too.  Just be prepared to feed it regularly.   :)

It is a great engine. Had one in our Class C Winnebago and now in our Class A Itasca, in fact it was one of the reasons I bought the Itasca instead of others I was looking at. the V10 will go forever as long as you keep up with oil changes.  It does like to drink gas, but if you are careful to stay in it's sweet spot it's not too bad.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Clearly the greatest advantage to a MOHO over a TT is that in the MOHO, you can set the cruise and go back, make a sandwich, go to the bathroom, take a nap, watch Dr Phil.

Have you considered looking at used units? Depreciation on a new moho in the first couple of years is tremendous. We love our Class A. But it all depends on your family unit and the layout. Keep l

We did get to look at a Grey Hawk, they were very nice. Unfortunately the dealer for those in our area doesn't really make good deals. But if they get in something we like used we are still open to

• 1 year later...

A few years later and the winner is!!!!

Class C

We looked at more trailers, Class A's, Disel Pushers and everything in between.  In the end we liked the Class A's better, the Fleetwood Excursion 35B Diesel Pusher the best.  Just that 160k price tag...  There are a few gas models with the same/similar floorplan, but the Class A price tag was just a bit out of range.  In the class C world, the Forest River 3010(Sunseeker)/3011(Forrester) was the floorplan we liked best.

Meet Rhino, a 2012 Forrest River 3011DS we found used with 3900 miles.  Comes with 2014 tires, assuming the original tires had issues since it's obvious doing the math that Rhino has spent a lot of time stationary.  We pickup Rhino tommorrow and go straight to a single overnight.  Next week is a trip for an Oil Change and Generator service.

IMG_0736_zpsrowh2ls5.jpg

IMG_0734_zpshxuclrgm.jpg

IMG_0710_zpsuhoni3iw.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

We have had it a few months now and done several trips.

The good-

• Love the layout.  Our favorite feature, the trash hole.  For anyone that's had to deal with the age old trouble of where to put the bleeping trash can, we love it.
  • Kid digs the bunk
  • I love not towing

The sad-

• Went to pick up the unit and pulling out from storage we get a waterfall out of the joint at the bottom of the fiberglass front cap on the passenger side..  Keep in mind this was stored inside, very clean but this is 100% my fault.  See, I hate heights, ladders and anything that puts me more than a few inches off the ground.  I should have gotten up there and inspected things better.  Never fear though, called our body shop and will be getting it in to have the front cap pulled to inspect, dry, effect any repairs needed to deal with the water.  I don't believe it's been chronically leaking, so that's good.  More than likely it sat a long time and the sealant dried up and once it started getting used some cracks formed and water got in.  No sign at all of water getting inside the bunk area.  I did swallow my fear, get on the roof, and reapply sealant to close up any potential gaps.  We have had MASSIVE rain since then with no signs of any water getting in.  In short though, water bad and not nipping things in the bud quickly can turn a simple lower cost repair into a major expense down the road.
  • Setting up a right proper toad or tow dolly means $$, someday we will have our car with us.  Mean time, two walkies and a follow car when we decide we really really need a follow car.
  • Furious day driving around replacing the propane leak/CO detector right before we were headed out for a trip.
  • The steering likes to wander a little, I think an alignment is in the cards.  This was expected though, so not a huge deal..  I also think some upgrades to the sway control is in order to reduce body roll.
  • The entertainment switch box thingy is a nightmare to work. Ugh.
  • The overhead doors above the dinette and sofa have issues.  The hings have a plastic piece that inserts into the door and they have come lose/out on several doors.  My sad attempt at fixing that have not worked well.

Unfortunately we won't be hitting the Fort in a few years with this unit, waiting out some updates at DW before we trek back.  We did do a 10 day road trip in Rhino for Thanksgiving though and that got us some solid time on the road.  We even got iced in for several days at Palo Duro Canyon state park.  Way glad we topped off the propane.  I wish I had had my new camera gear for the trip.

Only thing we wish were different was recliner/love seat option and the big fridge.  Other than that we are super happy with the RV and love having the motor home.

I do have a YouTube channel where I will be putting up videos on some of these issues and how they get addressed over time along with our 2016 Texas State Park series.  Texas Rv'in is the channel name.

Class C's are notorious for leaks around the front bunk area. Ours was the same way.  All that flexing weight hanging out front really plays havoc with the seals.  

The water likes to get in and then pool in low spots where you don't even know it's there until enough collects to run out when driving and cornering. We used to have a river come down the inside of the windshield and then down onto my feet whenever I first left the driveway after a rain  LOL!

If you want a permanent fix, try Eternabond tape. If you put it on correctly it will seal for years. But be careful with it, once it sticks to anything its near impossible to get off...

• 10 months later...

Slight thread hi-jack. We're dreaming in the future of a class C purchase, preferably the diesel Sprinter class Cs. Just curious how people's experiences were buying used price wise. I know we are all convinced that RVs are terrible for depreciation long term, but I'm wondering about for the first 2-3 years given how deeply discounted a new RV purchase can be. We paid about 70% of retail when we purchased our current TT brand-new, and at the time that was in line with asking prices for used units.

On 11/18/2016 at 2:00 PM, geoffdaddy said:

Slight thread hi-jack. We're dreaming in the future of a class C purchase, preferably the diesel Sprinter class Cs. Just curious how people's experiences were buying used price wise. I know we are all convinced that RVs are terrible for depreciation long term, but I'm wondering about for the first 2-3 years given how deeply discounted a new RV purchase can be. We paid about 70% of retail when we purchased our current TT brand-new, and at the time that was in line with asking prices for used units.

From what I remember, and it's been awhile, I think we paid about 1/2 of retail on a Class C that was a few years old. I think it had 1,000 miles on it. Most things were still in plastic. I'm not sure the original owners really used it... maybe a trip or 2.