WELCOME!!! I read somewhere, that clean, low mileage Class C's were the most available used units out there. Something about retired couples purchasing them and then sadly soon after sold with the death of a spouse.

Carol~That's great news for the buyer but terrible for the seller! How sad!  Love your camper! 

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Clearly the greatest advantage to a MOHO over a TT is that in the MOHO, you can set the cruise and go back, make a sandwich, go to the bathroom, take a nap, watch Dr Phil.

Have you considered looking at used units? Depreciation on a new moho in the first couple of years is tremendous. We love our Class A. But it all depends on your family unit and the layout. Keep l

We did get to look at a Grey Hawk, they were very nice. Unfortunately the dealer for those in our area doesn't really make good deals. But if they get in something we like used we are still open to

The thing I have issues with on Gas models is often the couch is seated next to the stove. I have a toddler and was concerned about him climbing up on to the couch and touching a burner.

This is one of the reasons that the 319DS model is our choice with the Leprechaun.  The seating is opposite the kitchen and it's a U shaped dinette which we really wanted.  I can see what your saying tho if your needing a bunk house model, cant recall any floor plans that had bunks and the stove not next to the couch.  Since we only have the 1 kiddo we can get by with just the overhead bunk.

Of course if I keep looking at Airstreams Nutters is going to show my head the business end of a frying pan.  Since I was a kid traveling back in the 70's the Airestream has always stuck in my head as icon of family camping road trips.  One of the reasons we are not looking at some of the bigger rigs is we want to make the best compromise between comfort and convenience but still keep that camping "feeling" going.

• 4 weeks later...

My in-laws picked up a new Jayco Greyhawk 31H a few years back.  With some dealer and manufacturer incentives, they paid less for that C than you'd pay for some heavier duty trucks on the market now.  Lots of room, they wanted to make sure they could take grandkids with them.  So far, they've loved it.  They came out of a really nice Terry 5th wheel.  Good luck on whatever you decide.

This is one of the reasons that the 319DS model is our choice with the Leprechaun.  The seating is opposite the kitchen and it's a U shaped dinette which we really wanted.  I can see what your saying tho if your needing a bunk house model, cant recall any floor plans that had bunks and the stove not next to the couch.  Since we only have the 1 kiddo we can get by with just the overhead bunk.

Ours is a 2007 35 foot Conquest Super C. We have bunks, and the stove is not next to the couch.

A few things you need to decide on your own.1) are you going to town a vehicle behind your class A or C???if so,why not a 5th wheel or larger TT and a newer to tow with?? 2) how far are you planning on traveling? 

we went from a class A (POS) to a new TT and we love the fact that we have a vehicle to go places with and are not stranded at the camp ground with no means to go anywhere.

Most class A's are about the same price as class C's if not cheaper if you don't need all the upgrades.

Unfortunately, with rvs, there's a lot of compromises so you'll have see what works best for you.

IMO, the most important thing is the floorplan.  Granted a lot of floorplans are pretty much the same but, especially for families, there are differences.  For families, I think TT and FW have by far the most and best options.  As far as sleeping capacity, 'C's will probably be 2nd and 'A's last.  There are more and more options for 'A's with bunks but they are still pretty limited - the vast majority of 'A's are designed to accomodate 2.  There's always the option of sleeping on sofas and dinettes but to me that's not a good option if you need it all the time.  In comparaison, there are tons of TTs and FWs with 2 bedrooms and 2 or even 4 bunks so you can sleep 6 all in actual beds.  In addition to sleeping, you also need to be able to live in it - some floorplans will sleep 6 well but you can't sit 6 at the dinette or you don't have room to sit 6 to watch TV. 

Desire to have a vehicle to travel in the rest of the time is also something you need to think about.  We have an 'A' because we don't have a big enough vehicle to tow a decent trailer but that means that we often pull our car behind us or we have to limit where we go when we don't have the car.  Pulling the car is kind of a pain in the a**.  It's a hassle to hook up / disconnect, we have to deal with the dolly (because we don't flat-tow) and you can't back up.  Finding gas stations can be a challenge. 

We moved up from a TT to a Class C, one of the main reasons for the C was the bed over the cab.  The gas milage on the C wasn't that much worse than the pulling a TT with a Durango.  We figured if we were going to get lousy gas milage anyway we might as well be comfortable.  In 2011 we traded up to an A.  We have a Fleetwood Terra.  The Terra model also has a bed over the cab.  It has a motorized dropdown bed.  So we have the advantages of the A and still the sleeping of a C.  I really like the A for many of the reasons others have stated such as the stability on the road and the storage.  It also has better ground clearance which helps getting in and out of our driveway.  We usually use a tow dolly to pull a car and I agree with others that getting in and out of gas stations can be tricky, you really need to plan your gas stops.  As I am not getting any younger the next investment may be a Jeep so I can flat tow it.  One less thing to worry about.

• 3 weeks later...

We sold our 81 pace arrow and bought a 94 Newmar Kountry Star diesel. My DH absolutely loves it. We got it for a great price, but have replaced the floor, table and chairs with a dinette, sofa, barrel chair, driver chair, passenger chair, kitchen countertop and sink, cooktop, toilet, and mattress. I think that's it. We do all of the work ourselves. However, because of the work that needed to be done, we got the unit for about $30,000 under blue book value.

We love our Newmar. Also, Newmar has fantastic customer service. We have asked many, many questions and have always gotten a quick response. This really surprised us since we have an older unit and have no plans of buying a new one. We would contact Fleetwood and would never a response.

All that being said. It is definitely a personal choice. Just go and test drive a lot of units that are in the price range you are looking at. Then look at the used units. MH depreciate very quickly

• 2 months later...

So far we have 3 models in mind, 1 Class A, 1 Class C and another TT.

• The Coachman Freelander 28QB.  Great price for a new Class C, downside is no slides.  Which can be an upside if you have ever had to get a slide back in manually :banghead:

• The Forrest River FR3 30DS class A.  Great floor plan, great price and cab over bunk in a Class A.

• On the "We want to go on the money saving side" we are looking at the Jayco X213.  We would be tight on space but the numbers look real good for towing behind our Expedition.

The search has been long and will still be even longer till we finally decide.  Seems every time we are close our situation changes a little and our wants/needs shift.   Who knows, maybe that lotto ticket will pay off :jumpforjoy

• On the "We want to go on the money saving side" we are looking at the Jayco X213.  We would be tight on space but the numbers look real good for towing behind our Expedition.

Have you considered a X23B?  That's what we ended up with & love it.  Tons of living & sleeping space for our family of 4.  The weight is only slightly above the X213 & it tows awesome.  I can leave a cup of water on the counter & it will be where I left it the next time I stop.

If you are still considering a used model, check out PPLMotorhomes.com.  It's said to be the largest consignment dealer in the country and it's in TEXAS.   You can see a large variety of all types of RV's, and a lot of information on each.  

I have a class C.

When you get an RV, of any type, you will need to tow something (unless you get a class B camper).  My decision in this respect comes down to do you want to be comfortable on the ride down and have a smaller vehicle to drive around in or do you want to drive in a truck and have a big vehicle to try to fit in places.  The 2nd options gives you just a little more space, unless you get a really long TT or 5th (over 30').  I don't know the campgrounds that you go to, but backing in a TT or 5th with a truck big enough to safely pull it is not an easy task.  When I pull up to a campground in my C, I jump out unhook the car in about 5 minutes (I flat tow, I would not, if you can help it, tow with a dolly).  I then drive to the site and back in.  Hit a button to level the motorhome and sit back and watch the travel trailer owners yell at each other and break stuff backing into things.

Having said all that.  Class C's based on the E450 chassis do not drive easy.  They are way easier than a travel trailer, but do not believe the salesman when he says "It drives like a van."  I have upgraded the springs in the back of mine (Jayco Greyhawk sport 2008) and that makes a huge difference.

Pay close attention to weight ratings on the Class C's, also if you are going to tow a car make sure the hitch is 5000 and not 3500.

By the way flat towing a car is very easy.  You just need to get used to the extra weight when starting and stopping.  It really kind of does just follow behind the Motorhome.  Oh and yes you have to be careful where you go, because you can't back up.  You have to unhook if you need to backup.  I have not had a problem with finding a gas station that I fit into with the car.  I tend to use the rest stops and truck stops for gas stations and it works fine.  

There is a book called next exit (there is another one but I can't remember the name) it says what is off each exit on the interstate highways.  It will tell you if a gas station, restaraunt, etc. is big rig friendly.  My rule is if a trailer truck can go there than I should be able to.

Dan

I have a class C.

When you get an RV, of any type, you will need to tow something (unless you get a class B camper). My decision in this respect comes down to do you want to be comfortable on the ride down and have a smaller vehicle to drive around in or do you want to drive in a truck and have a big vehicle to try to fit in places. The 2nd options gives you just a little more space, unless you get a really long TT or 5th (over 30'). I don't know the campgrounds that you go to, but backing in a TT or 5th with a truck big enough to safely pull it is not an easy task. When I pull up to a campground in my C, I jump out unhook the car in about 5 minutes (I flat tow, I would not, if you can help it, tow with a dolly). I then drive to the site and back in. Hit a button to level the motorhome and sit back and watch the travel trailer owners yell at each other and break stuff backing into things.

Having said all that. Class C's based on the E450 chassis do not drive easy. They are way easier than a travel trailer, but do not believe the salesman when he says "It drives like a van." I have upgraded the springs in the back of mine (Jayco Greyhawk sport 2008) and that makes a huge difference.

Pay close attention to weight ratings on the Class C's, also if you are going to tow a car make sure the hitch is 5000 and not 3500.

By the way flat towing a car is very easy. You just need to get used to the extra weight when starting and stopping. It really kind of does just follow behind the Motorhome. Oh and yes you have to be careful where you go, because you can't back up. You have to unhook if you need to backup. I have not had a problem with finding a gas station that I fit into with the car. I tend to use the rest stops and truck stops for gas stations and it works fine.

There is a book called next exit (there is another one but I can't remember the name) it says what is off each exit on the interstate highways. It will tell you if a gas station, restaraunt, etc. is big rig friendly. My rule is if a trailer truck can go there than I should be able to.

Dan

I've got a couple of questions...

1. I just got a dolly. Why not tow with a dolly?

2. Most C's I'm looking at are on E450 chassis. Are the springs the problem?

3. What upgrade did you do and how much did it cost?

4. What about towing a car on a car hauler?

Thanks

Thanks

1) not always a place to put them, and seems to me they are a lot harder to hookup. Also it reduces the weight of the car you can tow because it weighs more than a tow ebar.

2). Don't get me wrong I love the 450 chassis. I just want to make sure people realize they aren't as easy to drive as a van.

3) I had the rear springs built up. It helps a lot. I also had bulls eye leveling jacks put on as well.

4). The biggest thing with towing in a class c is the weight. The weight is restricted because anything over like 25' has an extended frame. My Jayco is fully boxed and done right, but I have been told not all are. I'm not sure, but this may be an issue with the gas chassis A's too.

A class c with a slide or 2 is a good choice for value and space. The 450 chassis and v10 go right along well even with the 3000 lbs extra when towing the car. My 30' c is great for camping. It fits most places and once you get used to driving it is great for going long distance. I always say that with a motorhome I drive to my destination in a living room.

My recommendation is test drive for an hour if they let you. With used, test every system even if you don't think you will use it. On used C's really pay attention to cab over for water leak signs, especially if it has windows.

Dan

1) not always a place to put them, and seems to me they are a lot harder to hookup. Also it reduces the weight of the car you can tow because it weighs more than a tow ebar.

2). Don't get me wrong I love the 450 chassis. I just want to make sure people realize they aren't as easy to drive as a van.

3) I had the rear springs built up. It helps a lot. I also had bulls eye leveling jacks put on as well.

4). The biggest thing with towing in a class c is the weight. The weight is restricted because anything over like 25' has an extended frame. My Jayco is fully boxed and done right, but I have been told not all are. I'm not sure, but this may be an issue with the gas chassis A's too.

A class c with a slide or 2 is a good choice for value and space. The 450 chassis and v10 go right along well even with the 3000 lbs extra when towing the car. My 30' c is great for camping. It fits most places and once you get used to driving it is great for going long distance. I always say that with a motorhome I drive to my destination in a living room.

My recommendation is test drive for an hour if they let you. With used, test every system even if you don't think you will use it. On used C's really pay attention to cab over for water leak signs, especially if it has windows.

Dan

Having owned a 2001 32' JAYCO Desinger I agree with Dan 100%. My only advantage was I have a "class A" CDL so size was not an issue.

Thanks

1.  Some of the campgrounds we visit don't allow dollies.

2 and 3.  Can't answer because we've never had a C.  Went from a TT to a MH.

4.  Some of the campgrounds we visit don't allow car haulers.  At the fort there is a length problem with a car hauler.  We refused to put it in the overflow lot, and many sites wouldn't accommodate it without unhitching and turning it sideways.  

We had a car hauler until this spring.  Had a Mighty Hauler installed on the moho to transport the cart and hopefully soon can afford a Blue Ox to attach our CR-V to the Mighty Hauler.  

1.  Some of the campgrounds we visit don't allow dollies.

2 and 3.  Can't answer because we've never had a C.  Went from a TT to a MH.

4.  Some of the campgrounds we visit don't allow car haulers.  At the fort there is a length problem with a car hauler.  We refused to put it in the overflow lot, and many sites wouldn't accommodate it without unhitching and turning it sideways.  

We had a car hauler until this spring.  Had a Mighty Hauler installed on the moho to transport the cart and hopefully soon can afford a Blue Ox to attach our CR-V to the Mighty Hauler.

The Mighty Hauler is pretty cool. Can you tow a car with the Mighty Hauler on?

It would awesome, and save money on a cart rental, if we could bring a car and a cart.

Depending on where you are coming from and how often you need the car it might be cheaper to rent. We are 1200 miles away so towing the car would cost at least 250 extra in gas I figure. It is way cheaper to rent even for 2 days.

Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

• 2 months later...

We are also looking at upgrading from a 5r to a class c, mostly for the comfort of everyone when we drive from Pa to The Fort. Can anyone tell me what kind of mileage they get with a class c with a Ford Triton V10?

I have always pulled our 5ers with my 3/4 ton diesel and gotten 11-13 mpg. How would the gas V10 on the class c compare?

We are also looking at upgrading from a 5r to a class c, mostly for the comfort of everyone when we drive from Pa to The Fort. Can anyone tell me what kind of mileage they get with a class c with a Ford Triton V10?

I have always pulled our 5ers with my 3/4 ton diesel and gotten 11-13 mpg. How would the gas V10 on the class c compare?

I can't directly answer relative to a class C....BUT, I've had both a class A and a full size van towing a TT that both had the 6.8L V10, and in both cases I got between 7-8 mpg.  I would guess a class C on the Ford chassis would be in that ballpark unless it was a small one.