• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

WELCOME!!!! As far as getting reservations for the December timeframe, I would recommend contacting a Disney travel agent that specializes in Fort Wilderness reservations. One is Judy Fiesty, she is a

thank you for the info, I guess I will go ahead with the TA route after I get hubby to nail a date down for me. He has over 6 weeks vacation coming and always balks at taking them, trying to nail him

Ah rambling....I will fit in.

Hubby is being difficult though, I hate when he is on the road ( truck driver) and has time to "think", he is trying to mess with my dates again and isnt sold on the unit I want to book, he says we need to sit and think for a few days and talk to the other vendors before I decide on something....he keeps it up and we will end up at Pop again and he will WISH he would have listened to me lol I told him to turn the dang bluetooth off cause I wasnt answering his calls anymore!

Actually that's probably good advice. You have plenty of time on the rental unit. They don't sell out "that" quickly. Talk to folks on here about advantages and disadvantages of the different units.

I know, but he likes to over think things, I mean to the last detail lol He is now saying, oh, why dont we pop down over July 4th when I am off for the week and rent one and see how it goes....way short notice for me, especially financially, I just got back from a week long trip to Las Vegas last weekend lol

What you "could" do to help you make the decision, is actually go to RV dealers and look at Popups and other travel trailers. Lay down in the popup bed, sit on the couch, sit at the dinette, close the door with all of you in there, imagine what it would be like dressing all of you in there.

Then do the same in a 5th wheel, and a couple different travel trailers.

Is having your own shower and bathroom important (although I read that ya'll are tent campers).

See thats the thing Carol, he sees the units all day long, he works in Elkhart, IN " RV Capital of the World", he delivers the materials they use to build them and sees them from frame up, so he has set ideas which brand units are better, safer, etc...hard to explain his reasoning. I think he is messing with me over the July thing, but I did look, Disney has sites available online...

Well just remember, for this rental you won't be towing it, just living in it, so that is probably the better consideration. He may "see" them everyday, but does he sit in them, open the cabinets, lay on the beds, etc., etc.

Personally, if the 5th wheel is in your budget, that would be my bet.

That is what I am leaning towards, I would like not having to take lil ones to the potty all night long.... He does know a lot about the units though, his company delivers everything from beds to wallboard, insulation, siding, you name it. He worked in the trailer factories before he began driving in 92, but like you said, we are sleeping in them, not pulling them... but he also delivered them for couple months for a local driveaway company, so more opinions from that..

When he gets in tonight Annie I will ask him, personally I have heard him rave on some and dis on others, but a lot of that is the plants in general, as he said a long time ago when his sister was buying a Class A, where it was put together makes a huge difference. The ones with many of the local Amish work he claimed better built, they seemed to take more pride in their work than some, and then there were some built in the lagrange area that he said were rolling disasters.

eta- I just spoke with him and his answer was a resounding, " I cant say" lol He says each rig has a specific "it" factor and that each owner will defend what they drive, push or pull because it has what "they" like.

ROFL

Thats what I said, but he said he gave his opinion on units, ppl would not like some of them, he said talking about different brands among other RV owners is like telling someone their child is ugly or stupid, you just dont do it. He did say he was to buy one it would be a Thor....

Since your son is autistic, check into getting a special "pass" that will help you with the attraction lines. I don't know exactly how they work; but, my friend Joyce said it was a life saver with her grandson. Perhaps someone with more info will chime in. I know a letter from the child's doctor is required.

We are in the market for a new one, of the fifth wheel variety. Feel free to PM me the stay away from list. I wouldn't want to start a debate about brands on thread either. We are not brand loyal. :D

Since your son is autistic, check into getting a special "pass" that will help you with the attraction lines. I don't know exactly how they work; but, my friend Joyce said it was a life saver with her grandson. Perhaps someone with more info will chime in. I know a letter from the child's doctor is required.

I knew about the GAC, we used it before with my oldest, she is autism ppd, self harming with sensory intergration disorder and it was a Godsend to have it in 2006 when we went. She is managed, presents neuro typical now, but planned on using it for my son. The Drs letter is no problem, but that is new, we didnt have to bring it last time they told us and neither time looked at it...

I think your talking about a GAC, guest assistance card.

I get one every time I go. I'm a disabled veteran that can't stand or walk for extended periods of time due to severe back injury while I was in the navy. You go by guest services as you enter any park and tell them your child's condition and they give you a pass that allows you to either sit in a quite area away from the crowds till its your turn to get into an attraction or it acts like a fast pass and gets you thru the lines faster. Example. Pirates of the Caribbean. They have you wait by a staff only area and then bring you thru a back entrance to avoid the lines. It's about the same wait as going thru the regular line but you can sit and wait in a quite area instead of the line. Space mountain. It is just like having a fast pass. You go to the fast pass return line and go in with the rest of the fast pass holders. If contact Judy first, the travel agent, she can give you better info on the GAC.

Thats what I said, but he said he gave his opinion on units, ppl would not like some of them, he said talking about different brands among other RV owners is like telling someone their child is ugly or stupid, you just dont do it. He did say he was to buy one it would be a Thor....

Welcome!

Thor? Do they build those in Asgard?

You DO NOT need a doctors note. They cannot ask for it. You just have to describe the accomodations your child needs.

thats what I thought, the ladies would never even look at the letters from Katies Drs before, said just to tell her what they could do to help with them...

If you are still looking for a place to rent a popup or trailer try greenbergrvflorida.com. We just used them a few weeks ago at the fort, Matt the owner is a great person to deal with. We rented a brand new I mean brand new as they were just taking the plastic off the beds and mounting flat screen tvs as we arrived. They bring the trailer to the fort and set everything up, everything from bed linens to propane was included. The 32 footer we had would sleep up to 12 people, it also had a compartment outside that opened with a kitchen setup, frig, stove, and microwave. The cost for a week is $699 plus tax, they also have smaller trailers and pop ups. Matt even came through with a golf cart after the one we had reserved with another company was cancelled on us at the last minute. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.