My Rottweiler vomits every time she goes for a ride in the car or truck.  This makes taking her camping with us somewhat of a problem.  Does anyone have any suggestions to stop a dog from getting carsick? 

My youngest Doberman did that when younger.  The vet suggested to make sure she could see out the windows.  That did the trick.  And my truck carpet was most grateful.

My oldest never had that problem since she had complete run of the old Explorer with the seats down.  Therefore she could always see out.

The youngest is smaller and in the truck the height from the floor to the window is over her head.  She now rides shotgun on the front seat.  Even when hubby is along for the ride.  Nothing like a 55 pound Doberman lap dog along for the ride.

Our dog hates the 20min ride to the lake where we camp. she hates the boat, and shakes like a leaf at the groomer. There isn't enough room in the truck so we thought about putting her in a pet taxi and putting her in the tag along. We would stop every 2 hours or so to let her out. Isn't there something the vet can give them like a doggie sleeping pill? I really want to take her but I am struggling on getting her all the way to florida. Any suggestions

Our dog hates the 20min ride to the lake where we camp. she hates the boat, and shakes like a leaf at the groomer. There isn't enough room in the truck so we thought about putting her in a pet taxi and putting her in the tag along. We would stop every 2 hours or so to let her out. Isn't there something the vet can give them like a doggie sleeping pill? I really want to take her but I am struggling on getting her all the way to florida. Any suggestions

Gina, I have a houseful of paranoid nervous chihuahuas. The vet me gave some drops for them. It's HomeoPet Anxiety. It works like a charm. It was $14.95 from the vet but I found a site where you can get for $9.95. I can't remember which site. HomeoPet has a site too. It was the same price there as at the vet's.

Somone here suggested I try a calming collar formy jumpy puppy - they are pretty expensive but they also claim to help with car sickness.  You may want to look into it - Whip

That was me Whip. Did you get one?

I checked out Petco and Tractor supply - neither seems to carry it in stock.  I am going to order it online on Monday.

Somone here suggested I try a calming collar formy jumpy puppy - they are pretty expensive but they also claim to help with car sickness.  You may want to look into it - Whip

That was me Whip. Did you get one?

I checked out Petco and Tractor supply - neither seems to carry it in stock.  I am going to order it online on Monday.

Walmart has them too. They are a little cheaper there, but they ahve a stronger scent and makes me sneeze. My son uses the Walmart one for his dog and it works just fine too.

Gina, I have a houseful of paranoid nervous chihuahuas. The vet me gave some drops for them. It's HomeoPet Anxiety. It works like a charm. It was $14.95 from the vet but I found a site where you can get for $9.95. I can't remember which site. HomeoPet has a site too. It was the same price there as at the vet's.

Doodlebug that is great. I will do that for sure. I know she will be misreable getting down there, but I'm sure she would rather be with us more than a babysitter.

Our heeler has bad carsickness.  She can basically go about 5 minutes before we start to worry.  We finally had to get her a pet taxi for the bed of the truck.  The first trip I gave her medicine then realized the wind going through the crate and the ability to see were all she needed...but she still rides in the back... I hate vomit.

Also be careful about the amount of water you give your dog.    Two things seen to bring on carsickness in the dogs I've had... Lots of water at the rest stops and ice too soon after eating.  My dog loves ice; but, too much too soon after eating is a sure ticket for her getting sick.  No clue why. 

• 1 month later...

Our yorkies are not good travelers and these are the first dogs we've had that do not travel well. What seems to work pretty well with them is...we don't feed them before we start a trip and they travel in small carriers in the car or motorhome. We take them out about every 3 or 4 hours for a walk and they go back inside the carriers for traveling. I' ve tried some of the travel anxiety medicines, but they didn't seem to help my dogs. We won't go without them, so we had to find something.

The vet me gave some drops for them. It's HomeoPet Anxiety. It works like a charm.

Wow, help for pet anxiety. The only time Buddy has anxiety is during rain storms, especially when it thunders. I think it's more physical than mental. If we see him shake, even if it's sunny out, we know a storm is coming. And if it storms all day, the poor little guy is miserable all day. I'm definitely going to try it. Thanks Cherie.

My little Buddy

Dis2.jpg

We've used this for our wacky BCs over the years...

ARK10009-1.jpg

We've used it for general anxiety (Brady took it daily for years) and for incidental anxiety (t-storms, etc.)  Trick is giving it far enough ahead of time - which for thunderphobia might mean watching the weather.  It generally doesn't do a whole lot if you give it after the dog is already getting anxious.

But all dogs are different and your mileage may vary.

Cheapest price I've found is here

http://vitanetonline.com/