Hey Gang. I am now the owner of my first DSLR and am having fun playing with it and getting to know it. I thought i remembered reading on here about an alternative to the neck strap that was more comfortable. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Oh and before anyone asks I bought a Canon EOS Rebel T31. It came with the 18-55mm lens and I added on the 55-250mm lens and the clip on light on the top. Anything else you guys and gals think is a must have for equipment? I figure this should take care of me while I get the hang of using the camera. 

That should be enough for you to get started. I suggest taking a class to learn about it or watch some youtube tutorials.

We have an older one, and I want to get Jason that one, so I'm interested in what you think.

So far I am enjoying it and I am trying out the different modes. It seems to work very well.

The next thing you'll want is the lens that replaces both of those in 1 unit. Of course, my Jason has never gotten that lens, but he hates having to constantly change. My gift priority for him is actually, that combo lens first, new camera second. Boys sure like expensive toys!!!! (but I like the pictures they take)

The next thing you'll want is the lens that replaces both of those in 1 unit. Of course, my Jason has never gotten that lens, but he hates having to constantly change. My gift priority for him is actually, that combo lens first, new camera second. Boys sure like expensive toys!!!! (but I like the pictures they take)

While one that does both would be nice I think I am going to be okay with this set up for now. I am looking around for an online class or a local class. I am hoping to be decent with this before our Cruise in July.The deal was I could get it but I have to get phenomenal pictures on the cruise with it. LOL

We can hold his dog hostage.

:-( You wouldn't take my little buddy away from me. I have photoshop and I can make every picture I take worse. 

I promise that just the difference in the camera will show up in the pictures. Most of our driving pics on the blog were taken bye in sport mode in a moving truck.

I played with the sport mode earlier. I can see that being good when your moving or your target is moving. This is going to be a lot of fun. I really needed a hobby.

That sounds like a good start. the only other thing I would suggest is a good sturdy tripod for night shooting.

As for a good strap for it, this is what I use at work....

safari-strap-tn.jpg

419S4XsK3QL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

Trekking Safari Camara Strap

http://www.naturescapes.net/store/trekking-safari-camara-strap.html

If you plan on lugging your camera around allot and have it at the ready, this is the way to go. Get yourself a good camera backpack to carry everything too.

Though not a Cannon guy, that is a good rig. Learn how to use your settings. Once you learn the basics of photography, you should pick up how to properly set up your camera. Good luck and have fun with it. Remember, when learning, its all digital so take several shots changing a little here and there to see what does what. You can always delete em later.

That sounds like a good start. the only other thing I would suggest is a good sturdy tripod for night shooting.

As for a good strap for it, this is what I use at work....

safari-strap-tn.jpg

419S4XsK3QL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

Trekking Safari Camara Strap

http://www.naturescapes.net/store/trekking-safari-camara-strap.html

If you plan on lugging your camera around allot and have it at the ready, this is the way to go. Get yourself a good camera backpack to carry everything too.

Though not a Cannon guy, that is a good rig. Learn how to use your settings. Once you learn the basics of photography, you should pick up how to properly set up your camera. Good luck and have fun with it. Remember, when learning, its all digital so take several shots changing a little here and there to see what does what. You can always delete em later.

Thanks Dave!

That's a great camera! I use that one at work and really enjoy it. I do have to agree on the lens upgrade, though. It's an expensive hobby. The L-series lenses make all the difference.

My only other suggestion is to never use the auto mode. Shoot in RAW. I use full manual 99.5% of the time. You'll get the hang of it really quickly. Both Lightroom and Aperture doa great job managing your RAW images.

Have fun!

I am not sure of the cost of that strap but it looks nice.

A bino strap would work well too and is similiar just not as wide as the safari strap above. I use the bino straps for my binoculars while hunting.You can find them at Walmart or your favorite hunting store in price ranges from about $10.00 and up.

I plan on getting the same for my new Upgrade Toy and am waiting for it's arrival today as I type. I ordered the new Nikon D5200.

Decided to spend the extra bucks for the advanced focus system over the D5100.

Looks like we both gots some learnin' to do.

That's a great camera! I use that one at work and really enjoy it. I do have to agree on the lens upgrade, though. It's an expensive hobby. The L-series lenses make all the difference.

My only other suggestion is to never use the auto mode. Shoot in RAW. I use full manual 99.5% of the time. You'll get the hang of it really quickly. Both Lightroom and Aperture doa great job managing your RAW images.

Have fun!

my husband uses the raw mode when he uses our camera

RAW mode is good if you plan to edit your photos afterwards. Otherwise, the newer DSLRs do a good job of creating the jpg. I personally shoot for the photo and do very little if any editing after the fact.

A trait I picked up from work is I don't even have preview on for after taking a shot. It builds confidence and forces you to shoot for the photo and not what the photo could be after editing. Plus it speeds things up as the camera doesn't have to create the preview and you do not look at the back after every shot. I also refrain from blast photoing. That's where you take 200 photos in rapid succession and then pick the best one. I see it everyday where dad is taking basically a movie, one frame at a time. Sounds like a machine gun.

I got the Canon Rebel T3I myself.  For the photos I take, Auto, and auto with flash off work really well.  I also use Sport mode occasionally, and I've been playing with the Macro setting for the really close flower shots.

I bought an instructional DVD from Best Buy. It was $25.  I've watched it all the way through a couple times.  It is set up to watch a section, hit pause, then play with the camera.  Unfortunately, I haven't had any real time to do that.

Mine came with the 18-55 lense, then I also bought a 70-200 zoom.  I don't like hauling a 2nd lense around, and found this particular zoom to be too much for just regular snapshots.

I too want to find a good combo lense, but not ready to drop the $$$ yet.

Even though I don't use all the features yet, the biggest advantage to me is speed, battery life, and easy, good, low light pics.  Just the basic settings on this thing are multitudes better than my old Kodak Easyshare point and shoot.

One thing I would recommend is get the fastest speed SD card you can find.  I have two 32GB HD chips that are 20mb/s2

The first accessories I got for our DSLR were polarizing filters to protect the lenses and a screen protector for the view screen. We have an earlier version of your camera and we love it.  I found the camera takes great pictures,  the color really blows away our point and shoot.

i have a normal 35 mm rebel with a 200 zoom and a doubler.  i love it when we go out to national parks.  hoping to upgrade to a digital before we do another trip out that way..  i will be watching this thread for more tips and to see what ya'll have learned. :)