I love this campground but Disney only knows how to run hotels. It is painfully obvious they do not know how to correctly manage reservations for a campground. They need to hire a former KOA person to take over the reservation system at the Fort.  You should be able to call and reserve a specific site on specific days. It is crazy how you have to wait until you show up to get assigned a site when the person who assigned it does not know anything about your requirements such as having a 45' triple axle 5'er that you cannot make 70 degree backing turns!  The site may be long enough but if you can't get back into it,  it really doesn't matter.  As most of you know at most other RV campgrounds you can look at the map online and reserve a specific spot.  This really helps in planning for what you need. At the Fort,  the nice people at the pull up check in booths have no idea about any sites. They just say "I am sure the site will work for you because thats the one "they" assigned."  And who are "they" and why can't we talk to them a few days prior to arrival so they know if you have specific site needs?  And how about checking the sewer lines before assigning a spot. We got into our spot after some near impossible turning only to learn the sewer line was plugged!  We had to move to another spot on the last day just to dump our tanks! The Fort does not have a stand alone dump station on the way out!  Crazy I tell you!

And finally I would like to suggest to Disney that they expand the Fort by adding some long Premium pull throughs.  That would be a huge plus for the park.  Heck, why not even build a whole new RV park where you buy your pad either through DVC or traditional sales! Like the Outdoor Resorts Concept only with the marketing muscle of Disney! If anyone knows George Kalogridis, please have him email me. I can help!!!

The up arrow was a result of my fat finger on a touch screen. Error. Sorry.

I'm responding to the quote below, but for some reason I can't type beneath it. 

The nicest campground/rv resort we've ever stayed at is Outdoor Resorts at Port St. Lucie.  No, they don't allow specific spots to be rented.  Neither does Outdoor Resorts at Hilton Head Island.

Ocean Lakes in Myrtle Beach does allow specific sites to be reserved.  Their main competitor, Lakewood, does not.

As we all know, the fort doesn't.

So I can't agree with your statement -- at least not where the campgrounds we frequent are concerned.

As most of you know at most other RV campgrounds you can look at the map online and reserve a specific spot.

I'm guessing they don't allow specific sites because it would leave a site open for just a day at times between ressies. It can be annoying for the reasons you mention. I've heard that they will allow you to change sites if you call them and tell them you can't back in, fit, etc.

There are many KOA's, as well as other CG's that do not allow you to reserve a "specific" site. You can ask, but they always say "requests are not looked at until your day of arrival".  So if someone else is in the site you want you won't get it. The same goes for the FORT, there is no way they will know months out whether the site you want will be open when you arrive.

Just like where we are now. We were given a site number when we made the ressie months ago, but when the confirmation arrived it said "subject to change".

I can see the OP's point.  I always have a hard time backing in no matter where they put us at the Fort. But people longer than us get in at the Fort, so I assume they're better at backing than I am.  Many years ago, a CM was kind enough to block the loop, let us come in the wrong way, pull into the site across from us (luckily for us it empty), and we backed across the road into our assigned site. (We got out easy, so it has to be me backing in that's the problem.)  We've also gone to our assigned site, and drove back to the outpost and asked, "What else ya got?"  But I have to admit that since we've started making our reservations for premium sites, backing in at the Fort has gotten better for us. 

As for assigning sites, some campgrounds we visit do assign sites; some don't.  My experience with KOAs is only reserving a class of sites or asking for a site away from trees, etc.  We usually get pull thrus and sometimes pull thrus can be a pain, too.  Only when making reservations at a national park have we seen a dedicated system that lets us pick a specific site (recreation.gov).  Doesn't help - sometimes the previous renter is still sitting in it as they're broken down. And they don't want to be there any more than I want them there.  The ones I like are the ones that let us go pick our site (from a select list) once we're there.  And an unusual experience for us: on our recent trip (last Friday) to NAS Lemoore, the MWR office called and gave us our site number while we were traveling there so we could pull in & get settled in and then go check in.  But as Grumpy & Grandma said, no matter where we stay it always has "subject to change" - sometimes in very, very small print - somewhere on the printout.  

David

Yep, I agree with everyone else, the Fort stays pretty close to full, and they are able to do that because they don't allow folks to reserve specific sites.  If specific sites were allowed to reserved then site 217 would be empty on monday 315 empty on tuesday, 117 empty on wednesday, 310 empty on thursday, etc.,  Yes there is a site available every night of that week, but it's a "different" site, and those sites would not be bookable by anyone. But since they assign sites, they can ensure that the same site is empty all those nights, then someone can book an additional reservation.

The ones I like are the ones that let us go pick our site (from a select list) once we're there.  

We have done something similar to  that at the FORT when we check in.  We have given the CM a list of sites that we would like if we're not sure about the one assigned.  They have gone/called to see if any of them are available.

I find it frustrating too.  It's not like a hotel where the rooms are virtually the same.

When I show up at any campground I want to SEE the sites they are trying to rent to me.  If I have a crappy site, I don't want to pay top dollar for it.

Three weeks ago when we were there NONE of the sites on our "want list" were available.  They gave me one that could have been okay.  Went to the loop and it sucked.  Wouldn't work for us with the tent and such.  

So I got on the phone to the front desk (thanks FF for putting up the phone list!), and walked around the loop asking about the empty ones that would work.  Within a short phone call I had picked out one I liked and they told me to take it.  I came up later and got the re-printed ID cards.  

That's what I plan to do in the future.  Get a list of possibles, and take one.  Then go there and look at them all, and call them back and change it if I like on of the other ones better.

Everyone needs to remember, this is Disney. If it works for them, sometimes that's all that matters. Just like a park ticket or campground discounts. They just don't happen or rarely do because Disney knows If you don't pay the prices the next guy will. I will admit that Disney could take some tips from well run campgrounds but I believe if it wasn't Walts original ideas or passions the fort would be leveled for a huge DVC cash cow. Reserving a specific site would be great but as another said, it could become a nightmare for Disney and like I said it needs to be best for them from a certain point of view. I would be happy if the fort could just get enforcing the rules right. The underage golf cart driving, local pool hoppers and drunk obnoxious rule breaking guest would be fine place to start

I would be happy if the fort could just get enforcing the rules right. The underage golf cart driving, local pool hoppers and drunk obnoxious rule breaking guest would be fine

lace to start

:thumbsup3:  :thumbsup1:  :yay:

I would be happy if the fort could just get enforcing the rules right. The underage golf cart driving, local pool hoppers and drunk obnoxious rule breaking guest would be fine place to start

That's why I plan to exclaim on a regular basis during my visit.... "Isn't it awesome that they keep the Big Blue pool at AoA unlocked? It's so much better than this pool!!!" 

That's why I plan to exclaim on a regular basis during my visit.... "Isn't it awesome that they keep the Big Blue pool at AoA unlocked? It's so much better than this pool!!!" 

I suggest a road trip to the AoA pool. 

I wouldn't feel the least bit bad about it.

WDW lets non-paying guests swim at the Fort.

If I am a paying guest at WDW and you leave the gate open...........open season as far as I am concerned.

The check in person has let us pick our site from the book several times. All we had to do was tell them we were familiar with the site they wanted to give us and it wouldn't work and they got the book out. We were still in the same loop but we're able to choose from several other sites that were available for our stay.

This is where the FF app can come in handy before you drive back there.

The check in person has let us pick our site from the book several times. All we had to do was tell them we were familiar with the site they wanted to give us and it wouldn't work and they got the book out. We were still in the same loop but we're able to choose from several other sites that were available for our stay.

This is where the FF app can come in handy before you drive back there.

Totally have to agree.  Last November we had the same problem.  Thanks to the FF App and the CM's book, everything worked out great. 

Jeanne

So does anyone have any feedback on my idea of building some Premium pull through sites and or building a "pad ownership" type facility like Outdoor Resorts?

Pull through lots, come on, those are for wimps. Back that puppy in.

I don't see Disney ever offering outright ownership of a site, a lot, house, etc.

So does anyone have any feedback on my idea of building some Premium pull through sites and or building a "pad ownership" type facility like Outdoor Resorts?

I don't know how long you've been visiting Fort Wilderness, but if I had to guess I would guess not very long.

I agree with your premise that the Fort is mismanaged.

But, that has been the case since day one.

It's a miracle it's still there.

Despite being managed by a bunch of idiots.

Your ideas may be great ones, but it'll never happen.

TCD