Affordable Campgrounds Near St. Petersburg, Fl

I have a baby shower to go to in the St Pete area and may end up spending the following week there so I am on the hunt for a campground within 30 minutes drive of St Pete.  I have been on all my usual sources but I haven't been able to get a good feel for a campground.  One might look good but the price is too high, a review leaves it open to question, or just no new reviews for over  a year.  

I need something affordable, safe for a week with kids, and full hookups.  Anyone have any ideas?

I have stayed at the KOA, it is a nice CG, you go thru industrial park to get there. I am not sure of their pricing thou. I don't know that area well enough to recommend anything else. Sorry but if you stay, you know I will do my best to come see you

Do you remember MetalDad's Father/Daughter TR from October.

Link: http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/7823-metaldads-oh-no-you-didnt-trip-report-a-father-daughter-weekend-at-the/

He stayed at a KOA in St. Pete.

Looks like this place is perfect for what you're looking for.

TCD

I have stayed at the KOA, it is a nice CG, you go thru industrial park to get there. I am not sure of their pricing thou. I don't know that area well enough to recommend anything else. Sorry but if you stay, you know I will do my best to come see you

I did remember that Tr but I wasn't sure which City the KOA was in.  I just checked the nightly rates at their park $70 plus dollars so I shot off an email to the check the weekly rates.  My other problem is availability.  I may have just a few days notice to make the reservation (currently waiting to hear from family to finilize the plans).  I was hoping to get a few good options... to cya

I did remember that Tr but I wasn't sure which City the KOA was in.  I just checked the nightly rates at their park $70 plus dollars so I shot off an email to the check the weekly rates.  My other problem is availability.  I may have just a few days notice to make the reservation (currently waiting to hear from family to finilize the plans).  I was hoping to get a few good options... to cya

Oh.

St. Petersburg is in Pinellas County, which is the county I live in.  It is the most densely populated county in Florida.  Aside from Fort Desoto, which is a county park, there are no campgrounds in the county that I would want to stay in.  As you've probably found, the best you can do is an RV park.  These cater mostly to snowbirds, and aren't much better than parking lots with a small swimming pool and/or recreation hall squeezed in someplace.

TCD

I feel your pain Nicki, the few times I've entertained the thought of pulling the camper for work, I've run into issues such as there are very few decent campgrounds near where people live and work. The good ones are in "resort" areas, and are expensive.  If there is one near where folks live and work, it's a dump of folks that are living in their campers. (Not traveling full-timers)

I feel your pain Nicki, the few times I've entertained the thought of pulling the camper for work, I've run into issues such as there are very few decent campgrounds near where people live and work. The good ones are in "resort" areas, and are expensive.  If there is one near where folks live and work, it's a dump of folks that are living in their campers. (Not traveling full-timers)

EXACTLY!!!!

One was 55+, one had a terrible review but do you know anything about Frog Creek RV and Campground had decent reviews.  How far is this from Crazy Aunt Lorna?

I am not sure what it looks like, we passed it last night going to Bradendon Beach. I will go down and look at it this weekend if you want me to. There is also an Encore not to far from there and I don't think it's 55 and over.

I would say it is about 20 min away from me

I am not sure what it looks like, we passed it last night going to Bradendon Beach. I will go down and look at it this weekend if you want me to. There is also an Encore not to far from there and I don't think it's 55 and over.

I would say it is about 20 min away from me

look this one up

Terra Ceia Village RV Resort

I couldn't find any reviews on that one Lorna.   I don't know how thousand trails works.  Do you have to be a member?

Don't worry about going to check it out.  I am still waiting to hear from family as to what the plans are and I don't want you to waste your time if they don't come through.  I will set shawn at searching for some info, he is better at it than I am.  

The KOA came back with their rates.  No weeklies but they quoted their nightly as $38.25 which is considerably less than what the website said.  So i went back and the website now gives me the $38.25.  However that still comes out to $300 for the week.

Thanks for the suggestions.