Eat Your Heart Out Marty McFly......AC's 1978-1989 Trip Back in Time (updates that go back to 1975 commenced on 3-12-15 )

Whoa, Discovery Island.

But, I need to back up to the post before the DI pics, and ask What The Fort is going on here:

IMG_3712_zpsaegl73zl.jpg

Is that a portable stage they put up in front of the Chinese Theater just for this show?

And are those dancing Cave Women?

I never heard about any of this.  I wouldn't mind grabbing a beer at DHS and watching some cave women dance.

I also didn't know about that Miss Piggy character and her band.

These slides are a real treasure!

TCD

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let's head to the ole fashioned swimmin hole, shall we?   We start out with a classic Disney relic of the past:       I should stop right here and pick it up later.   Those pics deserve their own up

He's moving even slower than brown paint guy ...

And here we go:                       Do you remember this character experience?     Moving on in Future World:                         Was that a Commodore 64?   How about robot

Whoa, Discovery Island.

But, I need to back up to the post before the DI pics, and ask What The Fort is going on here:

IMG_3712_zpsaegl73zl.jpg

Is that a portable stage they put up in front of the Chinese Theater just for this show?

I never heard about any of this.  I wouldn't mind grabbing a beer at DHS and watching some cave women dance.

TCD

They could have sold cavewoman dancing special seating/dinner packages.

Love the pictures of the Muppet characters, I wish they still had them. I want to meet Fozzie Bear!

It would be cool if they had Muppet meet and greets; especially Statler and Waldorf.

I used to enjoy the Dinosaurs TV show.  Not the mama!

Discovery Island pics are great.  Looking forward to more Fort!

Stand-by.............

Right now there are 8 people logged in as "guest" reading this report.

Do you think they are logged in hoping to see some old Fort pics?

If they are, they are in for a real treat.....because here we go!

Classic:

IMG_3581_zpsdborcnuh.jpg

IMG_3582_zps9o0wwe2c.jpg

IMG_3583_zpssk55potl.jpg

IMG_3584_zpseir8qbri.jpg

IMG_3585_zpswgdbrpib.jpg

IMG_3586_zpseygh5ksb.jpg

I am the young man in the last few pics.

Moving on....

IMG_3587_zpsx2tuhdbb.jpg

IMG_3588_zps5dwjpdr7.jpg

IMG_3589_zpsrdmsoa1p.jpg

Remember the trailers they had before the current cabins?

IMG_3590_zps0usspf7q.jpg

IMG_3591_zpsptbw9ddv.jpg

IMG_3592_zps9ertwkq8.jpg

IMG_3593_zpso9juqtig.jpg

IMG_3594_zpsmbadbex3.jpg

IMG_3595_zps90fdx35v.jpg

Settlement area:

IMG_3596_zps9eb8vxu7.jpg

IMG_3597_zpspd9kuqa7.jpg

IMG_3598_zpsmp59lrwe.jpg

IMG_3599_zps115rc03e.jpg

Porch sitting was the thing to do back then.......some things haven't changed:

IMG_3600_zpsts9sxngw.jpg

Trading Post:

IMG_3601_zpskkuwevps.jpg

IMG_3602_zpsngga3ypd.jpg

IMG_3603_zps9cuivoww.jpg

More to come................

Wow, great pictures. I love your Brady Bunch station wagon, assuming that was your campsite.

Unbelievable pictures of the inside of the cabins. That must be a couple of models before the current cabins because we stayed in them around 1988 and they looked similar on the outside but definitely not on the inside.

Great find with these slides! Thanks for taking the time to do all this.

Great stuff!!  

Is this looking into Little Bear Path?

Thanks.

I wish I could tell you.

Wow, great pictures. I love your Brady Bunch station wagon, assuming that was your campsite.

Unbelievable pictures of the inside of the cabins. That must be a couple of models before the current cabins because we stayed in them around 1988 and they looked similar on the outside but definitely not on the inside.

Great find with these slides! Thanks for taking the time to do all this.

That is just a random pic of a loop.  We did have an old brick red station wagon though. 

Before the current cabins, they had the trailers like the one I posted.

Those old Fort photos are great!

I miss when Mickey had a gun.

And there was wilderness at the Fort.

And log benches.

And totem poles.

TCD

Mickey with a gun is cool. 

Damn the loser who made the decision to get rid of that.

Those old Fort photos are great!

I miss when Mickey had a gun.

And there was wilderness at the Fort.

And log benches.

And totem poles.

TCD

Me too

Those last pictures show what almost looks like a railroad crossing.  Weird.  But that can't be.  I can't imagine something as cool as having a railroad in a campground, and someone being so dumb as to get rid of it.  

Yep

And by the way I sure wish the water looked that clean again!!!!!!

Whoa, Discovery Island.

IMG_3712_zpsaegl73zl.jpg

TCD

Can I nominate this as POY? Pic/Post of the Year

first off, "What the Fort"   :clint:

secondly, Chinese theater + cave women + creepy baby dino top left 

and what did one have to do to become the "surprise family for the day"?  

If i could hang with this crew i think i'd be worth it.

WOW! These are all just amazing. But especially this:

Besides the clarity of the photo that makes it look like it was taken yesterday, what a fun looking campground. What a great place for kids to play.

Sorry, wasn't able to post the picture, but for the first photo with RR crossing and play area-where is this area now at the Fort? 

Sorry, wasn't able to post the picture, but for the first photo with RR crossing and play area-where is this area now at the Fort? 

That's the 300 loop playground.  The 500 loop would be on the left of the photographer who took this photo.

The railroad tracks go right through what is currently the dog park.  If you visit the dog park now, you can see a raised area bisecting the field- that's where the tracks used to lie.  If you follow along that raised area, and look over the fence, you can see the old concrete supports from the train trellis that crossed the canal there.

This photo shows racks of canoes were stored there.  This is where they rented the canoes before the bike barn was built:

apache_zpsnv9btrwd.jpg

TCD

That's the 300 loop playground.  The 500 loop would be on the left of the photographer who took this photo.

The railroad tracks go right through what is currently the dog park.  If you visit the dog park now, you can see a raised area bisecting the field- that's where the tracks used to lie.  If you follow along that raised area, and look over the fence, you can see the old concrete supports from the train trellis that crossed the canal there.

This photo shows racks of canoes were stored there.  This is where they rented the canoes before the bike barn was built:

apache_zpsnv9btrwd.jpg

TCD

Wow...I never would of guessed that. I hate I never got to see the fort during that time- it would of been great.

Wow...I never would of guessed that. I hate I never got to see the fort during that time- it would of been great.

I agree.  Although we started visiting WDW in the mid '70s, we didn't start camping at the fort until the late '80s.  We missed a lot of the history.