Tick season is quickly approaching for those of us in the Northeast. Buddy and Murphy are getting their Lyme disease vaccines in a week or so. Time to consider this for your puppies that camp.

Umm to feed guinea hens? That's all I got.

Pretty much.  And I'm sure we could find something else for the guinea hens to eat if all the ticks suddenly disappeared.

if only...

My gang's getting their first spring dose of preventative today.  We use Sentry Natural Defense - which means the house will smell like gingerbread all summer. 

Pretty much.  And I'm sure we could find something else for the guinea hens to eat if all the ticks suddenly disappeared.

if only...

My gang's getting their first spring dose of preventative today.  We use Sentry Natural Defense - which means the house will smell like gingerbread all summer.

Does that stuff do the trick for fleas? We had a rough time last season with fleas, and I am not a fan of putting pesticides on my dogs. We bathe them with an orange oil shampoo that will kill the fleas, but I sure would like to have some kind of topical.

Yes and no. We're the same way here - the fewer chemicals in/on the dogs, the better, especially now that Brady is 11.

We never have a problem HERE with fleas when we put Sentry on them.  That's despite the fact that Lyn likes to burrow in the dirt under the deck and hang out there.

However 2 years in a row our dogs picked up fleas when we were in FL. 

So these days we keep them on Sentry for the summer, then right before we head south, they get one dose of Advantix.

Darned FL fleas are tough!!

Sentry comes in squeeze on doses, and they also make a spray.

Not for people, but for dogs. Not really sure of the effectiveness, but I figure it is better than nothing. It is pretty common in our area due to the prevalence of deer ticks.

Effectiveness of the lyme vaccine is still in question, but for people that live in areas overrun with ticks, and particularly deer ticks, and a high incidence of Lyme, a lot of vets are recommending it.

We haven't done it yet with our gang. We don't find many ticks on them (thankfully) and check regularly this time of year.  General consensus seems to be that a tick has to be attached for at least 24 hours to spread the disease.

My gang got their heartworm preventative today too.  We only give it during mosquito season, so they generally don't get it during winter months.

We have been using the new 6 month collar for ticks.  It seems to work very well.  Although it does not prevent them from attaching, they certainly die QUICKLY and most of the time don't attach at all.  The ticks have been bad down here for close to a year now.

I have a friend on Facebook who was just recently diagnosed with Lyme disease.She went through years of being misdiagnosed and given medications that she did not need. Now she is waiting for approval from a university hospital to get treatment. She posted tonight about being diligent in checking for ticks on our pets and loved ones.

We don't have any pets and to be honest I never really thoroughly checked my children when we have been out hiking and camping, but plan to start doing it. I guess it was always one of those oh it could never happen to me things. I have made a conscious decision not to take that chance.