Big Green Egg Pood Forn

I've decided to create a post dedicated to our Big Green Egg, AKA the best anniversary present I ever bought myself. Jason thought it was for him, and I'm still wife of the year because of it. So here are some of our adventures. Most of these can be made on a regular grill.... they just won't taste as good.

BGE.jpg

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A happy 40 year old got his second Big Green Egg today. All he has to do is cut out a circle on the right side to complete his double table. (large on the left, medium on the right). The medium is lig

Any guesses for what's about to happen?

Let's start with something you can make on any grill.

Bruschetta burger.... burger patty topped with fresh mozzarella, bruschetta (I used jarred, gasp), and reduced balsamic. It's super easy but a little fancier and much tastier than a regular burger.

390199_4785559198393_447244147_n.jpg

Now something you can't do on a regular grill, pulled pork.

Set the egg around 230 degrees, and cook on indirect heat for 20-22 hours.

The great thing about the egg vs. a traditional smoker is that you don't have to feed it with wood. You basically just leave it alone while it cooks.

pulledpork2.jpg

pulledpork.jpg

When are you going to show us the bacon wrapped chicken? 

Here you go, Dave. Interestingly, this is what we were going to have for dinner tonight, but I couldn't find one of those big roaster chickens. Now I'm worried about finding one for Stone Mountain. Maybe, I'll do a turkey instead (if I can find one in April/May). Better start looking for that now. I'd rather buy and freeze than not be able to find it.

408404_10200237137752627_858967614_n.jpg

And in case anyone wants directions on this beauty, there are here http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/8971-lets-make-a-bacon-weave-chicken/

One of our favorite things to do on the egg is pizza. We have a thick pizza stone meant for grilling and cook them on high indirect heat for about 10 minutes. The smoky flavor of the wood charcoal gives the pizzas a unique flavor. I buy our dough at Publix.

Here's a bacon and sausage.

pizzaafter.jpg

And one of my favs, a margherita- light sauce, tomatoes, garlic, fresh basil, and fresh mozzarella.

397762_10200104827844962_1930882709_n.jp

• 4 months later...

A happy 40 year old got his second Big Green Egg today. All he has to do is cut out a circle on the right side to complete his double table. (large on the left, medium on the right). The medium is light enough to travel.

IMG_32891.jpg

IMG_32901.jpg

Our grill bit the dust this year.  I think we spent $85 trying to save it this summer but nope, it can't be saved.  I have the Egg on my short list.  I think we need to look a little harder.  Everything looks fantastic!!!  Now I'm hungry

Your definitely in the running for wife of the year.

Are the eggs electric?

No, they run on wood charcoal. Although, some people do add an electric starter. They're pretty easy to start with just a little piece of charcoal starter though. Santa might bring Jason this wand that you put down in the charcoal and it lights it. Not sure though.

Our grill bit the dust this year.  I think we spent $85 trying to save it this summer but nope, it can't be saved.  I have the Egg on my short list.  I think we need to look a little harder.  Everything looks fantastic!!!  Now I'm hungry

Do it! You won't be sorry. The food tastes so much better. We can't even eat food off a gas grill anymore.  

• 2 weeks later...

Life is just not fair!  I don't even have one and ya'll got two.  I have been looking for years for a used one and no one ever sells these things. Even if they need bigger or smaller they just keep both selfish so and sos.  

How far are you from Atlanta? I've surprised Jason with both, but after the first one, I found a local meat shop that would sell them to us WAY under what they list for if we'd put it together ourselves. Basically, they just hand you the boxes. It's easy though. That let me get the medium for less than what the few used ones sell for on craigslist.

Note to self...find out where Kelly lives and when she is going to be cooking dinner on her Big Green Eggs. Allow myself plenty of time to arrive for delicious meals.

Come on over! I'm trying to get Jason to learn Brunswick Stew.

• 2 months later...

Had to share this with you:

Drew came home from basketball practice and he was tellng us about something one of his teammates/friend told him. Apparently the friend's dad got this really cool grill (Big Green Egg) for Christmas. He told Drew you could cook a homemade pizza on it. Drew told him you could also make homemade pizzas in the oven. The friend was shocked. He had never heard of such a concept before.

Had to share this with you:

Drew came home from basketball practice and he was tellng us about something one of his teammates/friend told him. Apparently the friend's dad got this really cool grill (Big Green Egg) for Christmas. He told Drew you could cook a homemade pizza on it. Drew told him you could also make homemade pizzas in the oven. The friend was shocked. He had never heard of such a concept before.

That's funny! (But let me tell you, I've done both and worked at a pizza place.... NOTHING compares to pizza from the Egg. The extra smoke flavor is to die for!