It's official the new Avatar land is coming!

I know there's been rumors about it but this is the first official announcement I've heard. Or did I miss something on this board and its old news?

I am watching the show Ultimate Walt Disney World show on Destination America. And they said it will be at AK.

Disney imagineer said "one of the exciting new projects we have for disneys animal kingdom at Walt Disney world is bringing james Cameron's world of Avatar to life."

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Actually there was a vote and it passed by one vote. Where were you when we needed you? It's all your fault.

#Pandora at night Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Don't forget these....  

We watched the same thing, but I think this show has aired before. This is how watching the show went in my house with DH who is NOT Disney crazy like me but does enjoy it (most of the time). We've never discussed Avatar Land together.

TV shows Avatar Land

Jason: Are you kidding me? They're really going to build that? Didn't they just buy Star Wars? Where's Star Wars Land? Are they idiots?

Me: Apparently they are. I don't get it either. 

Jason: (Who isn't a huge Star Wars fan either) Do they realize they own the best movie trilogy ever created? They're passing that up for a one hit wonder? They even have a ride that is already Star Wars! They could knock down some crap around it and build Star Wars Land. (now he's waiting for me to defend Disney)

Me: Yes honey, you are right. Disney fans are discussing this at length.

So if he gets it immediately after seeing the idea, how do people who create theme parks for a living not understand?

As an alternative Jeff Foxworthy is planning on opening a theme park in a couple years.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/jeff-foxworthy-blue-collar-comics-449084

We watched the same thing, but I think this show has aired before. This is how watching the show went in my house with DH who is NOT Disney crazy like me but does enjoy it (most of the time). We've never discussed Avatar Land together.

TV shows Avatar Land

Jason: Are you kidding me? They're really going to build that? Didn't they just buy Star Wars? Where's Star Wars Land? Are they idiots?

Me: Apparently they are. I don't get it either. 

Jason: (Who isn't a huge Star Wars fan either) Do they realize they own the best movie trilogy ever created? They're passing that up for a one hit wonder? They even have a ride that is already Star Wars! They could knock down some crap around it and build Star Wars Land. (now he's waiting for me to defend Disney)

Me: Yes honey, you are right. Disney fans are discussing this at length.

So if he gets it immediately after seeing the idea, how do people who create theme parks for a living not understand?

The destination America show Is a repeat and was aire a while ago. Speaking of avatar, I'm shocked I have heard no news of an avatar 2 in a while. Maybe that's why avatar land has been quiet also

Where have you guys been? Below are announcements from Bob Iger and Tom Staggs. It sure doesn't sound like a rumor to me.

If it's on schedule, construction has already begun.

I haven't seen it firsthand, but I've heard CMs at AK say that site prep has begun.

Disney executives Bob Iger and Tom Staggs announced a long-term creative partnership with James Cameron’s Lightstorm Entertainment and Fox Filmed Entertainment to bring the epic fantasy world of AVATAR to life at Disney parks, beginning with Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park in Orlando. 

Construction on our first AVATAR-themed land at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park should begin in 2013. Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park is a great fit for this project because it was created to give our Guests the opportunity to experience the worlds of animals and nature – real and mythical in whole new ways. With AVATAR, we've found the perfect opportunity to immerse our Guests in one of the most compelling mythical worlds ever conceived. Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park also celebrates adventure, living in harmony with nature and environmental stewardship – themes that are deeply rooted in the stories of AVATAR.

The destination America show Is a repeat and was aire a while ago. Speaking of avatar, I'm shocked I have heard no news of an avatar 2 in a while. Maybe that's why avatar land has been quiet also

according to the guide the original air date is 05-01-13.

During the show they showed the the new fantasyland expansion opened with guests on the rides. they had the new double dumbo ride with the queing, and they showed the partially completed seven dwarfs train ride. It looked just like the way I saw it at Christmas/new years 4 months ago.

Where have you guys been? Below are announcements from Bob Iger and Tom Staggs. It sure doesn't sound like a rumor to me.

If it's on schedule, construction has already begun.

I haven't seen it firsthand, but I've heard CMs at AK say that site prep has begun.

Disney executives Bob Iger and Tom Staggs announced a long-term creative partnership with James Cameron’s Lightstorm Entertainment and Fox Filmed Entertainment to bring the epic fantasy world of AVATAR to life at Disney parks, beginning with Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park in Orlando.

Construction on our first AVATAR-themed land at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park should begin in 2013. Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park is a great fit for this project because it was created to give our Guests the opportunity to experience the worlds of animals and nature – real and mythical in whole new ways. With AVATAR, we've found the perfect opportunity to immerse our Guests in one of the most compelling mythical worlds ever conceived. Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park also celebrates adventure, living in harmony with nature and environmental stewardship – themes that are deeply rooted in the stories of AVATAR.

Thanks Lou. Do you know the date that announcement was made?

And my vote would be for a Star Wars land also. To bad we don't get a vote.

It was made in Sept of 2011.

Here's another one from the same time. Sounds rather definitive to me.

They really put it out there. I guess they could always change their minds though.

Pandora is coming to life.

The Walt Disney Company is opening an "Avatar Land" at its Animal Kingdom theme park in Florida, the company's president and CEO, Bob Iger, said Tuesday. Iger made the announcement with "Avatar" director James Cameron and Fox Filmed Entertainment co-chairs and co-CEOs Jim Gianopulos and Thomas Rothman. "Avatar" was a Fox movie. Disney hopes to begin construction in 2013.

I cannot envision this being a success unless it has a kick ass ride or something that doesn't rely heavily on what the theme of it is. Also, was Avatar a big hit in Asia or Central/South America, as that is where a large portion of the crowds are from anymore, and as devores said in his TR, WDW has to cater to the international crowd. Either way....I am not waiting with enthusiasm for this turd.

I cannot envision this being a success unless it has a kick ass ride or something that doesn't rely heavily on what the theme of it is. Also, was Avatar a big hit in Asia or Central/South America, as that is where a large portion of the crowds are from anymore, and as devores said in his TR, WDW has to cater to the international crowd. Either way....I am not waiting with enthusiasm for this turd.

If they build it, they will come. 

Avatar is the highest grossing film of all time, by a lot. The sequels will be huge as well. Doesn't it make business sense to build Avatarland?

The majority of guests to WDW are from the US, so they must be catering to us.

I didn't care for Avatar and prefer some other land, but I think, assuming it does get completed, that Avatarland will be very popular and will make AK the second most popular park at WDW.

Sbl? Sucks butt land?

Sucks Beet Lollipop. 

That designation is reserved for things which I have not personally experienced, but through process of reasoning can draw an assumption that it sucks.  I can assume that beet lollipops suck.  And since I didn't like Avatar, I can assume that Avatar Land will suck.  If I'm right, it will go from SBL to SMB.  But for now it is just SBL. 

Bobby says if it is expensive to build as the movie was to make, you can forget about anything more than a blue Mickey meet and greet and a souvenir shop.

Bobby says if it is expensive to build as the movie was to make, you can forget about anything more than a blue Mickey meet and greet and a souvenir shop.

I dont' think you are far off the mark.  I expect Avatar Land to include:  One signature ride (prob not coaster as they already have EE at AK), a Blue Mickey meet and greet, a Blue Devine lurking around, a gift shop, and a counter service restaurant selling Blue M&M's, Blue Corn chips, and Blue Moon. 

If they build it, they will come.

Maybe. On the plus side, maybe it will shorten EE lines.

Avatar is the highest grossing film of all time, by a lot.

Adjusted for inflation, Avatar doesn't even crack the top 10 and was beaten by 2 of the 3 Star Wars movies and 101 Dalmations. Let's see a 101 Dalmations land first.

The sequels will be huge as well. Doesn't it make business sense to build Avatarland?

Sequels almost never do as well as the original movie, so even if they make almost as much, it is still less than Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, which also beat Avatar, inflation adjusted.

The majority of guests to WDW are from the US, so they must be catering to us.

Sure didn't feel that way at Christmas time!

I didn't care for Avatar and prefer some other land, but I think, assuming it does get completed, that Avatarland will be very popular and will make AK the second most popular park at WDW.

Are you a Fort fiend or a Kool-Aid drinker, man? Fort Fiends bitch about stuff we hate but can't change, we call Disney big whigs idiots on the interweb. We don't approach issues with this logical thinking, we don't ask "what is the best for Disney?". Get with the program!

P.S. Avatar land blows. Idiot Disney big whigs.

The beauty of it is, that isn't Cameron ponying up most of the money? So even though the theme is not to everyone's liking, I'm betting the attraction itself will be technologically outstanding and special effects amazing.  And actually it might be a win, win for Disney, the movie flops or loses interest in the future,Cameron goes away, but then the infrastructure is there and can be changed at a much smaller cost.

Adjusted for inflation, Avatar doesn't even crack the top 10 

Sequels almost never do as well as the original movie, 

Are you a Fort fiend or a Kool-Aid drinker, man? 

You are correct when talking domestic returns, but total box office receipts, which is domestic plus worldwide, tells a totally different story.

For practicality, I'm also eliminating "Gone with the Wind" because it's so old and an attraction about the Civil War and slavery would not be a good idea.

From my research, adjusted for inflation, worldwide box office receipts puts Avatar #1, Starwars #2, and Titanic #3.

There is a very long list of sequels doing better than the original.

I guess you'll have to put me down as Kool-Aid drinker,......... sometimes