It's official the new Avatar land is coming!

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Actually there was a vote and it passed by one vote. Where were you when we needed you? It's all your fault.

#Pandora at night Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Don't forget these....  

Those are some cool pictures Thanks for the link.  I liked the aerial shot that showed AKL in the background.  I did not realize the lodge was that close to the park.    

I noticed that too.

I think it's a bit of an optical illusion and the result of it being an aerial photo.

This is the photo you're talking about:

AVA%20AKL_zps3vng6lk5.jpg

A view from straight overhead:

AK%20aerial_zpsz8gwpof3.jpg

AKL is close, but not as close as it looks in the first photo.

TCD

Brian was actually voluntarily watching Avatar on tv the other day and said its not that bad of a movie. I'm willing to give the movie a shot because the more they release about the land the more interesting it looks

I watched the movie a couple of months ago.  Haven't had panic attacks in years, but the movie caused several.  I'm not sure I could experience anything in Pandora without having more.

That's one thing that surprised me about Animal Kingdom Lodge is they didn't do some type of waterway between the lodge and the Park.

I read something that they built the Sassagoula River just so the resorts back there could have a boat ride to DTD.

AKL is a deluxe.

But then again, Port Orleans and Dixie Landings were built in the early Eisner years (with Frank Wells also), and AKL was built in the "cheap" years.

• 1 month later...

Apparently, there's a D23 Expo going on in Japan, and for some reason, they used that forum to release some new information about Avatarland, including the name and a description of one of the new attractions we will all be enjoying sometime before the end of this decade.  Maybe.

Here you go:

We have some updates on the expansion of Pandora – The World of AVATAR at Disney’s Animal Kingdom. Back in August, at the 2015 D23 Expo, we were excited to unveil the name of the new AVATAR-themed land and one of its attractions. Now we have more news coming out of D23 Expo Japan, where Bob Chapek, Chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, shared more about the expansion.

tghav678994-613x294.jpg

Pandora – The World of AVATAR will bring a variety of new experiences to the Park, including a family-friendly attraction called Na’vi River Journey. The adventure begins as guests set out in canoes and venture down a mysterious, sacred river hidden within the bioluminescent rainforest. The full beauty of Pandora reveals itself as the canoes pass by exotic glowing plants and amazing creatures. The journey culminates in an encounter with a Na’vi shaman, who has a deep connection to the life force of Pandora and sends positive energy out into the forest through her music.

Na’vi River Journey will open with Pandora – The World of AVATAR in 2017. Keep watching Disney Parks Blog for more information as the land and its attractions come to life.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/11/navi-river-journey-adds-music-energy-to-pandora-the-world-of-avatar/

Woo Hoo!

I can't wait.

Actually, I guess I have to wait.

Like two more years.

What's the rush?

TCD

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

From WDWMagic...

Newly filed permits appear to show Pandora's Na'vi River Journey ride layout

2 days ago in "Pandora - The World of AVATAR"

Recently filed plans with the South Florida Water Management District appear to show the ride layout for the Na'vi River Journey, coming to Pandora - The World of Avatar at Disney's Animal Kingdom.

The straight section of blue would appear to be the load/unload area, and a maintenance area to the far right. The remainder of the blue area looks to be the ride path. These plans also seem to confirm that the entire ride will be indoors.

(Thanks to danlb_2000 on the WDWMAGIC Forums for spotting this one!)

Opening in 2017, the Na'vi River Journey is the land's second attraction, offering a D-Ticket class family river ride through Pandora's bioluminescent rainforest. The river cruise will provide an alternative experience for those guests who may not wish to experience the land's more thrilling AVATAR Flight of Passage attraction.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/avatar/news/11feb2016-newly-filed-permits-appear-to-show-pandoras-navi-river-journey-layout.htm

I think Pandora should be pretty cool and we're looking forward to when this is done. We have talked about shifting our typical late fall trip time to late winter in 2018 to try and miss some of the first year crowds for the attraction and the various holidays crushes. If the flying ride is anywhere near as good as the Harry Potter broomstick ride and rumors say it is, it should be really fun. 

1 hour ago, keith_h said:

We have talked about shifting our typical late fall trip time to late winter in 2018 to try and miss some of the first year crowds for the attraction and the various holidays crushes.

Smart thinking!  When the first HP opened I think it was June.  We hoped that by Oct/Nov the crowds would have subsided a bit, but no such luck.  The second HP wasn't nearly as bad.

Since this is a brand new, first-of-its kind thing, I expect crowds will be crazypants for a while.

Question will be if the opening coincides with any of the new stuff coming to HS.  If it does, that might at least help spread the crowds out a bit between the 2 parks.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Some speculation from WDW Magic about an opening date for Pandora - The World of AVATAR...

Disney released a new ticket offer today for Florida Residents, offering a great deal on Walt Disney World 3 and 4 day tickets.

Besides the attractive pricing, the listed blackout dates are of great interest to those watching for an opening date for Pandora - The World of Avatar at Disney's Animal Kingdom.

The tickets have just one blocked-out park, which is Disney's Animal Kingdom, from May 27 to June 9 2017. It is hard to imagine that this blockout period is for any other reason than for the expected opening of the park's new land.

Disney has not yet provided any opening date, beyond a general time frame of Summer 2017. Summer officially begins June 21, but factoring in soft openings, Disney could very well be planning to allow guests into Pandora from late May.

Until announced by Disney, any dates should be treated as speculation, and as we have seen with Rivers of Light, any planned openings can be impacted by technical difficulties.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/avatar/news/04jan2017-new-florida-resident-ticket-offer-hints-at-pandora-opening-date.htm

Thanks for that link, Mo.

They could be on to something.  Or it could be some kind of glitch.  That site in  particular has jumped to a lot of off base conclusions in the past.

I know that they blocked out Castmember's Maingate passes for the anticipated opening dates for Rivers of Light last year.  If they did that again this year, that would be a very solid indicator of when they plan to open Pandora.

On the other hand, one possibility the WDWMAGIC folks didn't consider is that these block out dates could relate to the very belated opening of the Rivers of Light show, with the Pandora opening coming much later in the summer.

TCD

2 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

On the other hand, one possibility the WDWMAGIC folks didn't consider is that these block out dates could relate to the very belated opening of the Rivers of Light show, with the Pandora opening coming much later in the summer.

TCD

Also possible!

15 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Thanks for that link, Mo.

They could be on to something.  Or it could be some kind of glitch.  That site in  particular has jumped to a lot of off base conclusions in the past.

I know that they blocked out Castmember's Maingate passes for the anticipated opening dates for Rivers of Light last year.  If they did that again this year, that would be a very solid indicator of when they plan to open Pandora.

TCD

That's what I was thinking. Unless they open it all on the same day.

6 minutes ago, LONE-STAR said:

That's what I was thinking. Unless they open it all on the same day.

Based on how things have gone lately, I can't imagine that they would open both ROL and Pandora on the same day.  They will milk these things for all they can.

The likely scenario to me is to make a big deal about ROL- open that for Memorial Day weekend, and then when that hype dies down, open Pandora.  They'll probably keep on saying "summer," and that will be enough to drive ticket sales and hotel bookings while guests speculate about when it will finally open.  Remember, summer doesn't start in 2017 until June 21.  They never said spring, they've only said summer.  I don't see Avatar officially opening until after June 21.

By the way, I think it should be mentioned that the nighttime safari is a confirmed flop, and it wouldn't surprise me if that quietly disappears.

TCD

33 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Based on how things have gone lately, I can't imagine that they would open both ROL and Pandora on the same day.  They will milk these things for all they can.

The likely scenario to me is to make a big deal about ROL- open that for Memorial Day weekend, and then when that hype dies down, open Pandora.  They'll probably keep on saying "summer," and that will be enough to drive ticket sales and hotel bookings while guests speculate about when it will finally open.  Remember, summer doesn't start in 2017 until June 21.  They never said spring, they've only said summer.  I don't see Avatar officially opening until after June 21.

By the way, I think it should be mentioned that the nighttime safari is a confirmed flop, and it wouldn't surprise me if that quietly disappears.

TCD

Now lets be more politically correct/Disneyspeak.

The ride hasn't reached it's full potential, and based on customer input, we are cutting back on it's operating schedule.