It's official the new Avatar land is coming!

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Actually there was a vote and it passed by one vote. Where were you when we needed you? It's all your fault.

#Pandora at night Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Don't forget these....  

As long as we're discussing the Avatar sequel(s),  I thought I'd share this tidbit from the Disney Parks Blog.  The new cast for the Avatar sequel was brought to Pandora: The World of Avatar recently:

AVATAR Next Generation Cast Soak Up the Scenery on Pandora – The World of Avatar at Disney’s Animal Kingdom

Michelle Baumann

by Michelle Baumann, Walt Disney World Public Relations

New cast members from the upcoming Avatar sequels got a hands-on lesson on what it’s like to live in the movie’s mythical world of Pandora. The seven recently announced actors got the ultimate VIP tour of Pandora – The World of Avatar hosted by AVATAR film producer Jon Landau.

The diverse new cast ranges in age from 7 to 17 years old – most newcomers to the Hollywood scene. Landau was passionate about immersing the cast into the wondrous world of Pandora to prepare them for their significant roles in the sequels. The on-the-ground learning opportunity allowed them to take in the sights, sounds and scents of the stunning world.

In between a flurry of photo and video shoots, which we have captured for you, the next-generation cast had the chance to marvel at the awe-inspiring landscapes, float through a bioluminescent rainforest on Na’vi River Journey, and connect with an avatar and fly on the back of a banshee in Avatar Flight of Passage. They indulged in blueberry cream cheese mousse and other treats at Satu’li Canteen and shopped for cool souvenirs at Windtraders.

The kids were inspired by Pandora’s rich theming, over-the-top experiences and powerful conservation story.

The four AVATAR sequels will be filmed concurrently. Twentieth Century Fox will release the first sequel in theaters nationwide on Dec. 18, 2020.

Take a peek at this video to watch the new cast journey through Pandora – The World of Avatar.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/09/avatar-next-generation-cast-soak-up-the-scenery-on-pandora-the-world-of-avatar-at-disneys-animal-kingdom/

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Did you catch that part about the first sequel coming to theaters on December 18, 2020.

2020!

As in just over 3 years from now.

3 years!

Jeez.

And what's with all of these kids being in the cast of this sequel?  Are there going to be teenage Avatars now?

TCD

6 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

As long as we're discussing the Avatar sequel(s),  I thought I'd share this tidbit from the Disney Parks Blog.  The new cast for the Avatar sequel was brought to Pandora: The World of Avatar recently:

AVATAR Next Generation Cast Soak Up the Scenery on Pandora – The World of Avatar at Disney’s Animal Kingdom

Michelle Baumann

by Michelle Baumann, Walt Disney World Public Relations

New cast members from the upcoming Avatar sequels got a hands-on lesson on what it’s like to live in the movie’s mythical world of Pandora. The seven recently announced actors got the ultimate VIP tour of Pandora – The World of Avatar hosted by AVATAR film producer Jon Landau.

The diverse new cast ranges in age from 7 to 17 years old – most newcomers to the Hollywood scene. Landau was passionate about immersing the cast into the wondrous world of Pandora to prepare them for their significant roles in the sequels. The on-the-ground learning opportunity allowed them to take in the sights, sounds and scents of the stunning world.

In between a flurry of photo and video shoots, which we have captured for you, the next-generation cast had the chance to marvel at the awe-inspiring landscapes, float through a bioluminescent rainforest on Na’vi River Journey, and connect with an avatar and fly on the back of a banshee in Avatar Flight of Passage. They indulged in blueberry cream cheese mousse and other treats at Satu’li Canteen and shopped for cool souvenirs at Windtraders.

The kids were inspired by Pandora’s rich theming, over-the-top experiences and powerful conservation story.

The four AVATAR sequels will be filmed concurrently. Twentieth Century Fox will release the first sequel in theaters nationwide on Dec. 18, 2020.

Take a peek at this video to watch the new cast journey through Pandora – The World of Avatar.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/09/avatar-next-generation-cast-soak-up-the-scenery-on-pandora-the-world-of-avatar-at-disneys-animal-kingdom/

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Did you catch that part about the first sequel coming to theaters on December 18, 2020.

2020!

As in just over 3 years from now.

3 years!

Jeez.

And what's with all of these kids being in the cast of this sequel?  Are there going to be teenage Avatars now?

TCD

Well if the sequels take as long as Star Wars did, then the kids will be retirement age by the time the last one comes out! :ROFLMAO-1:

26 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Well if the sequels take as long as Star Wars did, then the kids will be retirement age by the time the last one comes out! :ROFLMAO-1:

I don't know how long it will take to release all the sequels, but the blog post above says that all four sequels will be filmed concurrently.

Four sequels?

With all of these same kids?

I don't know about that.

TCD

3 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I don't know how long it will take to release all the sequels, but the blog post above says that all four sequels will be filmed concurrently.

Four sequels?

With all of these same kids?

I don't know about that.

TCD

Guess they are after the Disney Channel tween crowd like the ones that like Descendents etc

13 hours ago, Travisma said:

Guess they are after the Disney Channel tween crowd like the ones that like Descendents etc

LOL. I wouldn't be surprised.  They can make them musicals and get that same guy (Kenny Ortega) to choreograph the dancing.  Think of all the merchandise they can sell!

1 hour ago, keith_h said:

If it is centered around teens it sure doesn't sound like it will be following the lines of the original movie.

I agree.  I am having a hard time figuring out how all of these young kids could fit in to the plot.

Are they the children of the humans we met in the first movie?  Born on Pandora?  Or, are they going to be young Navi children growing up after the events of the first movie?  Probably some of each.  Whatever- it seems like a big departure from the first movie.  Maybe the idea here is to introduce younger actors that children and teens can relate to, and make the Pandora-World of Avatar land in Animal Kingdom more popular with families?  I don't think an average young person would want to sit through the entire original movie, and maybe that lack of familiarity is hurting the popularity of the land in AK (and merchandise sales)?

Who knows?

TCD

On another note, I finally had the opportunity to ride Flight of Passage last week. We skipped the Navi river ride, even though we had fast passes for it. We arrived about 15 minutes before rope drop (say 8:45) and were on the ride by 10 am, including the walk and wait in line. Honestly, I wouldn't wait any longer than that. It was great, pretty much like soarin' but on an individual ride vehicle and with really ill fitting glasses. I pretty much have an iron stomach, but this ride made even me a bit nauseous. All in our party felt the same way. By the time we exited the ride wait was 150 min.

As I've said before, the land itself is really well done, and the wait really didn't feel like one since there was so much to see. I've never seen the film.

Net/Net, I'd still rather ride Everest than this again, though.

• 3 months later...
On 10/3/2017 at 8:46 AM, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

I'm still amazed Disney banked on building a whole part of a park around a franchise where the last movie was 7-8 years ago and the next one isn't for 3-4.

Interesting with all the kids.  Avatar Goonies crossover?

It was Cameron's money, that's why

11 hours ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

It was Cameron's money, that's why

I never bought into that rumor because wouldn't that mean the Cameron owns Pandora, but Disney has never allowed outright ownership of any attraction at WDW or DL.

The full agreement between Disney and Cameron was not divulged, but the details that were announced said that Disney entered into an exclusive, long-term licensing agreement with Cameron's Lightstorm Entertainment and Fox Filmed Entertainment. It gives Disney worldwide theme park rights to Avatar. Disney paid Cameron and Fox a licensing fee and a percentage of merchandise sales. I have not found any confirmation that Cameron financed the building of Pandora. 

23 hours ago, Lou... said:

I never bought into that rumor because wouldn't that mean the Cameron owns Pandora, but Disney has never allowed outright ownership of any attraction at WDW or DL.

The full agreement between Disney and Cameron was not divulged, but the details that were announced said that Disney entered into an exclusive, long-term licensing agreement with Cameron's Lightstorm Entertainment and Fox Filmed Entertainment. It gives Disney worldwide theme park rights to Avatar. Disney paid Cameron and Fox a licensing fee and a percentage of merchandise sales. I have not found any confirmation that Cameron financed the building of Pandora. 

You may be right. I was just guessing it was something similar to the way the Japan parks are. Disney forces the quality and the Oriental company (can't recall the exact name) has to spend the money.

(And it's paid off, by the way) From what I've read the Japan parks are the best.

On 1/28/2018 at 8:54 AM, Lou... said:

Very insightful post, and I agree. 

I think the deal with Cameron/Fox was akin to the deal made with Lucas back when Disney built the Star Tours attraction. 

What's interesting is that Disney has since acquired the Avatar franchise in its recent deal with Fox. 

TCD