It's official the new Avatar land is coming!

You are correct when talking domestic returns, but total box office receipts, which is domestic plus worldwide, tells a totally different story.

For practicality, I'm also eliminating "Gone with the Wind" because it's so old and an attraction about the Civil War and slavery would not be a good idea.

From my research, adjusted for inflation, worldwide box office receipts puts Avatar #1, Starwars #2, and Titanic #3.

There is a very long list of sequels doing better than the original.

I guess you'll have to put me down as Kool-Aid drinker,......... sometimes

I think it is fair to say we are all kool aid drinkers sometimes or we wouldnt keep coming back.

That being said.....gripe if you have a gripe. Nothing ever changed by people wishing it was so but keeping their mouth shut.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Actually there was a vote and it passed by one vote. Where were you when we needed you? It's all your fault.

#Pandora at night Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Don't forget these....  

I think it is fair to say we are all kool aid drinkers sometimes or we wouldnt keep coming back.

That being said.....gripe if you have a gripe. Nothing ever changed by people wishing it was so but keeping their mouth shut.

Not me...I never speak my mind.  I always bite my tongue and give everyone the benefit of the doubt, especially Disney.

Guess I am the minority token person here.  I liked the movie.  If it is showing on those free movie channels, I will watch it again.  Would pick Tangled first if they were both on, but I liked Avatar.  But then I also liked Terra Nova.  I've got a thing for older gray haired men with lots of muscles.  If they do an Avatar Days I will get a Fast Pass for Stephen Lang's picture and autograph.

You are correct when talking domestic returns, but total box office receipts, which is domestic plus worldwide, tells a totally different story.

For practicality, I'm also eliminating "Gone with the Wind" because it's so old and an attraction about the Civil War and slavery would not be a good idea.

From my research, adjusted for inflation, worldwide box office receipts puts Avatar #1, Starwars #2, and Titanic #3.

There is a very long list of sequels doing better than the original.

I guess you'll have to put me down as Kool-Aid drinker,......... sometimes

Why are you quoting international numbers after making a point that they are catering to U.S. visitors?

Are the Star Wars numbers for one movie or all the movies?

Do you want to bet a back stage tour that the new Star Wars movie out grosses Avatar II?

Guess I am the minority token person here.  I liked the movie.  If it is showing on those free movie channels, I will watch it again.  Would pick Tangled first if they were both on, but I liked Avatar.  But then I also liked Terra Nova.  I've got a thing for older gray haired men with lots of muscles.  If they do an Avatar Days I will get a Fast Pass for Stephen Lang's picture and autograph.

I also liked the movie, but I don't get building the land over a much more popular series of movies.

Not to beat a dead horse...but one thing often overlooked when comparing the receipts of Avatar with other blockbusters such as the Star Wars movies and even Titanic, is that a majority of moviegoers who saw Avatar paid premiums for 3D or IMAX theaters.  Those other movies were screened in traditional theaters.  For example, according to a national theater owners' website, the average ticket price in 1977 when Star Wars was released was $2.25, which adjusted for inflation equaled around $8 in 2009, when Avatar was released.  However, most Avatar theatergoers paid between $10-15 to see the movie in either 3D or IMAX.  Accordingly, you could ring in equal or higher receipts with 50% fewer viewers charging what they charged for Avatar. 

Why do I throw these statistics around?  Because Star Wars is awesome, and Avatar SMB.  That's why.  :rofl3:

Why are you quoting international numbers after making a point that they are catering to U.S. visitors?

While the US market is the largest market, Disney can't ignore the substantial numbers of people that visit Disney from around the world.

Are the Star Wars numbers for one movie or all the movies?

I believe so.

Do you want to bet a back stage tour that the new Star Wars movie out grosses Avatar II?

Tough call.

I also liked the movie, but I don't get building the land over a much more popular series of movies.

Not a fan of the Avatar movie and will not go to see any sequels.

Huge fan of Starwars and would like to see a Starwars based attraction.

Oops, got all caught up in Stephen Lang land I forgot the rest of my post.  LOL  I can see a ride and maybe a walk through [indoor so you can you use the black lighting effect] of the planet's foliage, but no, I cannot see a whole land dedicated to the movie either.  There really isn't enough to work with.

Star Wars on the other hand lends itself to a whole new world.  Rides, games, cantina's, musical numbers and a comedy show performed by 3CPO and R2D2.

Someone mentioned that J Cameron is kicking in a significant portion of the funds for 'Avatar land' and that probably overrides any discussion of the success of Avatar, or appropriateness of having it in the AK. You know the old adage, "Money talks and bull shit walks." And if bull shit has money, it walks into Disney HQ and gets Avatar land built.

Someone mentioned that J Cameron is kicking in a significant portion of the funds for 'Avatar land' and that probably overrides any discussion of the success of Avatar, or appropriateness of having it in the AK. You know the old adage, "Money talks and bull shit walks." And if bull shit has money, it walks into Disney HQ and gets Avatar land built.

That's my thoughts exactly

To be honest Star wars is so big with all the movies it really could support its own theme park not just a land. That being said I am not hugh fan. I have seen all the movies and I liked them but when they are on tv I don't watch them. But if they had a theme park at Disney world we would go.

To be honest Star wars is so big with all the movies it really could support its own theme park not just a land. That being said I am not hugh fan. I have seen all the movies and I liked them but when they are on tv I don't watch them. But if they had a theme park at Disney world we would go.

The thing about Star Wars and many Disney movies that have attractions based on them:

They have proven that they will stand the test of time.

Avatar on the other hand may have made money at the box office, but it has zero chance in my opinion to pass the generational test.

Are future generations going to go gaga over Avatar like they do over SW?  Doubt it.

Are future generations still going to be buying Avatar figures and playsets like kids still do with SW?  Doubt it.

I think the idea sucks but I honestly couldn't care less if it doesnt keep them from doing the other things they should be doing:

DHS

*Star Wars Land/Park

and/or

Cars Land

Jim Hill's Monster's Inc Coaster (LOL)

AK

*Fix the Yeti

*Build Endor and let guests dress up like stormtroopers and hunt Ewoks.

A speederbike ride would be cool too.

EP

*Replace all the Future World pavilions that suck or are not being used (Wonders of Life, Imagination, Universe of Energy)

*New country pavilion to replace the outpost

*Sell Beet Lollipops all year 'round (That was just to see if you were paying attention)

MK

*Sell the fresh MSB cinnamon rolls at Starbucks

*Replace Stitch

*Serve good food at CRT

Etc.

The thing that is dumb about Crapatar Land is that you just know it will meet the wrecking ball within ten years after it's built......because it will be nothing that anyone will want to visit over and over.  The novelty will wear off quick.  They should just build "John Carter" Land. 

In the words of Clark Griswold's mother in law in Christmas Vacation, "Talk about pissing your money away."

This %100.

The thing about Star Wars and many Disney movies that have attractions based on them:

They have proven that they will stand the test of time.

Avatar on the other hand may have made money at the box office, but it has zero chance in my opinion to pass the generational test.

Are future generations going to go gaga over Avatar like they do over SW?  Doubt it.

Are future generations still going to be buying Avatar figures and playsets like kids still do with SW?  Doubt it.

I think the idea sucks but I honestly couldn't care less if it doesnt keep them from doing the other things they should be doing:

DHS

*Star Wars Land/Park

and/or

Cars Land

Jim Hill's Monster's Inc Coaster (LOL)

AK

*Fix the Yeti

*Build Endor and let guests dress up like stormtroopers and hunt Ewoks.

A speederbike ride would be cool too.

EP

*Replace all the Future World pavilions that suck or are not being used (Wonders of Life, Imagination, Universe of Energy)

*New country pavilion to replace the outpost

*Sell Beet Lollipops all year 'round (That was just to see if you were paying attention)

MK

*Sell the fresh MSB cinnamon rolls at Starbucks

*Replace Stitch

*Serve good food at CRT

Etc.

The thing that is dumb about Crapatar Land is that you just know it will meet the wrecking ball within ten years after it's built......because it will be nothing that anyone will want to visit over and over.  The novelty will wear off quick.  They should just build "John Carter" Land. 

In the words of Clark Griswold's mother in law in Christmas Vacation, "Talk about pissing your money away."

Brilliant.  Well, except for the beet lollipop thing. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

From the Disney Parks Blog...

From the moment AVATAR was released, people were captivated by the mythical world of Pandora. When we announced that we’d be working with James Cameron and Lightstorm Entertainment to bring this world to life in our parks, we felt certain that this partnership and combination of talent and imagination would produce an experience unlike any other ever created.

1Avatar_1.jpg

Our combined team has taken huge steps forward in “imagineering” Pandora as a real place for our guests to see, hear and touch. At the first-ever D23 Expo in Japan, we shared an early glimpse of the plans for AVATAR at Disney’s Animal Kingdom park and I wanted to share some of these breathtaking images and a short preview of what’s to come with all of you.

As these concept renderings show in epic scale, in the world of AVATAR guests will encounter awe-inspiring floating mountains and wander through a nighttime jungle of bioluminescent plants that are alive with light and sound. Guests will also discover what it feels like to soar into the sky riding a Banshee.

1Avatar_5.jpg

And the new AVATAR-inspired land won’t be the only change coming to Disney’s Animal Kingdom.

As part of the largest expansion in the history of the park, we’ll be adding all-new entertainment experiences, including a new nighttime spectacular where live music, floating lanterns, water screens and swirling animal imagery all combine to bring a show to Discovery River that will delight our guests and truly cap off their day at Disney’s Animal Kingdom. The park will introduce more nighttime entertainment as well, including live performers on Discovery Island (pictured above) and a new nighttime version of the Kilimanjaro Safaris.

As the world of AVATAR becomes real at Disney’s Animal Kingdom, the energy and passion shared by our Imagineers and the Lightstorm team for this monumental task continues to be remarkable. I can’t wait to see the reactions of our guests as they step into a world that until now has only existed on the screen.

We look forward to sharing more details in the future here on the Disney Parks Blog.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/10/first-look-avatar-to-come-to-life-at-disneys-animal-kingdom/