Mineral Wells State Park Texas

We spent the weekend at Mineral Wells State Park which is about 45 minutes west of Fort Worth.  We were assigned the best site in the park #64. 

DSCN0771-1.jpg

We had our purple flamingo complete with coonskin cap posted near the road.

DSCN0763-1.jpg

A multi-sport day long race was managed out of the next site over.  Biking, canoeing/kayaking, running,  rock climbing, orienteering.  If you like that sort of thing, here is a link to their website:

DSCN0775-1.jpg

DSCN0781-1.jpg

DSCN0772-1.jpg

Wildlife around the campsite:

A turtle family:

DSCN0764-1.jpg

American White Pelicans with a black duck-like bird that I can't find in my Aububon field guide.

DSCN0785-1.jpg

Canada goose:

DSCN0776-1.jpg

A family of 3 deer crossed the road in front of us when we were heading out for Sonic Happy Hour.  Sorry... no picture.  I was driving. 

For those who might consider camping at Mineral Wells State Park, the restrooms (although older) are clean and well-kept.  They have ranger-lead programs each weekend such as bird watching, survival skills for kids, cowboy singing and poetry reading.  It is on a Rails to Trails bike path that goes between Mineral Wells and Weatherford.  They have a special area to camp with your horses.  There is a rock climbing area (special permits are required). 

If you would like additional information, click here:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/lake_mineral_wells/?utm_source=SPBWelcome0Kits&utm_medium=maps&utm_campaign=StateBParks

• 4 months later...

Stayed at Mineral Wells State Park (Texas) again over the July 4th weekend. I didn't take any pictures of the store and although it was small, it seemed to be well stocked and neat. They rent canoes and kayaks, also.

This time we were on site 73. While it had filtered light most of the day which is important when it is +100 degress, it was a bit far from the restrooms.

I'm beginning to decorate the outside of the trailer.

DSCN0954.jpg

DSCN0953-1.jpg

A baby deer walking near our campsite.

DSCN0956.jpg

Early morning kayaking on the lake.

DSCN0970.jpg

This is the dam as seen from the lake side. Note how low the water is. No risk of going over it.

DSCN0966.jpg

This is a view of the other side of the dam. You have to drive over the spillway to get to the campgrounds.

DSCN0979.jpg

A group of Boy Scouts. I assume they rented the kayaks for an hour only because they paddled across the lake and back FAST without stopping to explore any of the inlets, etc.

DSCN0974.jpg