City of Jacksonville Campground aka Kathryn Abbey Hanna Park

Anyone every stayed there?

We just found this one online and thought it might be a good stop on our second day on our way to The Fort. (Plan on leaving and driving a few hours to Wytheville, VA then stop for the night then travel at least to the GA/FL line the second day and then arrive at FW early on the 3rd day so we don't waste a whole day of our ressies!).

We've stayed at the country parks in Charleston, SC (which are wonderful BTW!) so just wondering how they compared.

Hanna Park is nice and shady. There is a kiddie water park (there is like a 48" height limit) some really nice bike trails and the ocean is nearby. They also have a store but IMO it's not stocked to the potential it could be. They do have hand dipped ice cream though. I live about 15 minutes away and visit a couple times a year. There's some good seafood joints in nearby Mayport. There is also a Food Lion nearby as well. If you have any questions please let me know.

Hanna Park is nice and shady. There is a kiddie water park (there is like a 48" height limit) some really nice bike trails and the ocean is nearby. They also have a store but IMO it's not stocked to the potential it could be. They do have hand dipped ice cream though. I live about 15 minutes away and visit a couple times a year. There's some good seafood joints in nearby Mayport. There is also a Food Lion nearby as well. If you have any questions please let me know.

Thanks! It would basically be an overnight stay and then leave in the morning. But we may have to check out the seafood places for dinner that night!

Singletons Seafood Shack or Safe Harbor. If you come in from 95 north  take 9A near south near the airport. Once you get on 9A get off on Merrill Road east and it leads you to Wonderwood Xway which emmpties right into Hanna Park.

We've stayed at Hanna Park many times.  In fact, we'll be there in a few weeks. :rofl2:  I agree with what Donnie had to say about it.  Long ago, it used to be packed all the time.  Not so much anymore.  It's a very short walk, bike or car ride to the beach, but no pool to dive in when you get back.  I do wish they had a pool.  It is very shaded, which is a + in the FL heat!  The Happy Camper store is a joke, but they do have good ice cream, though we have discovered for what we pay for one ice cream treat there, we can go to the Food Lion right up the road and buy enough ice cream for the whole trip.  The kiddie water park is nice, but my kids are too big for it. :wiz:  There is a lake... with gators.  In fact, a couple of dogs have been eaten by the gators! :banana:  There are all  kinds of warnings NOT to get in the lake!  The staff is not very friendly and the bathhouses are pretty yucky, but we continue to go every year, so....

And yes, the local seafood places are WONDERFUL!!!!  Whether you stay for one night or one week, you MUST eat some seafood!