Slow Cooked Peach Cobbler

Slow Cooked Peach Cobbler

editedpeachCobbler+008.jpg

I think peach cobbler is one of the first desserts I can remember my Mom making for us when we were kids and I still love it!  I think of it as the dessert equivalent to macaroni and cheese...a classic comfort food.  In the Fall when the weather beings to turn cooler as well as when peaches are in season in the Summer, it's one of our favorite sweet indulgences.  I especially love the fact that this cobbler can be prepared on hot Summer days, without heating up the oven, and the kitchen.  When I cook desserts in my slow cooker, I sometimes miss the crispy topping you achieve by baking it in the oven.  That's why I like to add some sort of crunchy, or in this case, nutty, topping to compensate for the crunch.  This cobbler is just as delicious without it, so, it's completely up to you.

You'll need:

1 [21 oz] can peach pie filling
1 [16 oz] pkg frozen peach slices, thawed or 2 cups fresh
1 [11.3 oz] can peach nectar [I used Jumex]
1/2 cup cold butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla

1 tsp ground cinnamon

1 [16.25 or 18.25 oz] box golden vanilla cake mix

Directions:

Spray the inside of your slow cooker with cooking spray and set it on the low setting.  In a mixing bowl , mix together the pie filling, thawed peach slices, brown sugar, peach nectar, cinnamon and vanilla until well combined.  Pour the filling into the bottom of your slow cooker.
Cut the butter into the cake mix.  You can do this by hand, using a mixer, or a food processor.  Combine until it resembles coarse crumbs like corn meal.  Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the peach filling.

Peach+Cobbler+001.JPG

Cover the slow cooker with paper towels then place the lid on top.  Cook on low for 3 hours.  After 3 hours,  remove the lid and using a spoon, gently push the crumb topping into the bubbling peaches but, don't stir.   Increase the temperature to the high setting, replace the paper towels and lid,  and cook for an additional 1-1 1/2 hours.  To test for doneness, check the center of the cake topping with a toothpick.  If you see moist crumbs left on the toothpick, it's done.  Sprinkle the almond topping evenly on top, for a little crunch, and keep uncovered on the warm setting until serving.  Serve warm with vanilla ice cream. [Ice cream is not optional ☺Yield: 8-10 servings

Peach+Cobbler+007.JPG

Optional topping:

1/3 cup of toasted sliced almonds mixed with one tablespoon of brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon.  Mix and sprinkle on top after the cobbler has finished cooking.  Allow the sugar to melt into the topping.

Cobbler+001.JPG

Cook's note:

Peach nectar is a tropical fruit drink and it comes in a can that resembles soda.   It's inexpensive and adds such delightful flavor to this cobbler.  In my grocery store, it's located near the Hispanic foods section.

http://melissassouthernstylekitchen.blogspot.com/2011/09/slow-cooked-peach-cobbler.html