An Amazing Race through Epcot - Christmas 2008

I have copied off my Amazing Race TR from the other site and I am posting it here.  I know of at least three marrige proposals that used this template and even some of the clues - I hope all of you enjoy it!  I tried deleting my posts on the other board and it will not allow me to do so.  I am going to enquire with the technical support. 

I?m not writing the typical trip report here ? Only a portion of our trip that I think some people may be interested in knowing about.  I?m going to post the whole report today.

DD9 and I are huge Amazing race fans.  Since we were lucky enough to be in WDW on her 9th birthday late 2008 (Christmas morning surprise trip where we leave on Christmas day) ? I decided to organize an amazing race for her around Epcot.  It took me about 9 months to plan and it wasn?t without hiccups ? but it was great fun and I learned a lot.  As a way of giving back to those that replied to posts or gave input into clues - I thought I would share our experience, my mistakes, in hopes someone can use the info to run an even better race. 

It was a great Trip ? Here is a few of my non-Amazing Race Photos:

fbmhk5.jpg

My initial plan was to use an external gift organizing service (PM me if you would like the name) to help me implement the race.  I eagerly booked the date with them and waited on a reply . . . and waited, and waited, and waited on a proposal.  It was September (3 months before our race) when I just decided to move forward and organize it myself.  It?s not really their fault ? they seemed ?into? it at first ? I?m just a pretty creative person with a controlling nature ? I couldn?t wait around while someone else got to do all the fun stuff.  Plus they really did not seem to want my input too much ? they wanted me to sort of sit back and enjoy ? well that wasn?t going to happen!  I actually would have paid pretty well to have someone help us just place the clues ? keep things moving ? but they were not ?into? that.

To me ? there were 3 elements I had to get right for this to be successful

AR SHOW STYLE ACCURATE CLUES ? there needed to be detours, roadblocks, maybe a speed bump or two, route info and real yellow - rip style- envelopes. 

DISNEY DOLLARS ? DD had to have money she could spend in the form of Disney dollars.  Since she had never seen a Disney dollar before I knew she would love it.

AROUND THE WORLD STYLE ROUTE ? We had to hit two parks ? The magic kingdom for the BBB (She had never had a princess costume before) and all the Epcot countries.  Since we were there the absolute ?worst? week to go ? an early start was ?critical?. 

With these three elements in mind I pressed forward using the following steps:

Step 1 ? I CREATED A CLUE OUTLINE - I drafted a clue outline using the podcast store tours segments as inspiration.  I looked through Julie and Corey?s photos of each segment and came up with a plan.  I asked questions on the boards ? got insight about each country by reading books (and still managed to get some details wrong ? more to come on that).  Each clue had a number that I could put on the back of the envelopes.

Step 2 ? RECONNAISSANCE MISSION - We completed a reconnaissance mission before the big trip - I just happened to be in Orlando on business ? DH tagged along so we could work it all out.  Part of our mission was delayed when we discovered the first ever disunplugged podcast was happening right at our hotel (Talk about good luck).  But we managed to get through all the clues the following day.  Well ? sort of anyway ? we decided to do a little Drinking around the world ? and by the time Canada came we weren?t working on the race anymore ? I sort of had to wing it for the UK also ;D.  We purchased the Disney dollars required and made notes on the clue outline I brought with us.  When we got home I revised the outline as required.  Here is some photos from that trip:

k0ikc7.jpg

Step 3 ? CREATING THE ACTUAL CLUES ? I searched high and low for ?RIP? style envelopes ? you wouldn?t think it would be that hard to find ? I finally came up with a vendor - Ampad? Fast Strip envelopes worked great.  They fit right in the printer.  I created my own mediocre artwork for the envelopes and clues but then ?TRACIE? on the DISign board (MouseEar Family Designs) helped me create perfect artwork for all three elements (I created the speed bump because I didn?t want to bother her anymore):

2m287r5.jpg

THANKS TRACIE!  I printed out the clue artwork on cardstock.  The route info cards were folded ? all the other cards were just a front and back.  I cut them out with an Exacto blade and a ruler.  I numbered each envelope on the outside so they would agree with my outline ? added the money as applicable and sealed each envelope.  I rubber banded the whole pile of clues in numerical order and packed them in my luggage.  We were ready to rock . . .

I had a hard time sleeping the night before our big race ? I was so excited. 

This is when I made MISTAKE NUMBER 1 - I had my husband set the alarm for 4:30 am.  I had been traumatized by being late for two ADR?s because of the buses and I was not going to be late for her first roadblock ? the BBB at 8 am.  I figured 4:30 would give DH and I enough time to drink coffee ? get the kids dressed and at the bus stop by 6 am (EMH for the MK started at 7 am).  It takes us an hour to get ready on a work day so it made sense to me - Well ? we were ready to go by 5 am.  Everyone was exhausted. 

ANYWAY ? She received her first clue in the room ? we left it in front of the TV for her to find.

i521ic.jpg

Turns out that in my excitement I left her the final clue instead of the first clue but I quickly swapped it and she was really excited and surprised.  We got to the MK about 7:10 ? this was a serious frustration of mine with the CBR busses - We were at the Bus stop at 6 am ? a bus did not show up until well after 6:30.  (I digress).

Her first clue had rules for the race ? explained detours vs. road blocks etc and had instructions on where to find her first clue:

Clue 1 ? Route info / rules Travel by bus, foot and monorail to the Snow White wishing well in the Magic Kingdom.  Once you find the wishing well make a birthday wish and you will receive your next clue.  You have a Disney gift card for this leg of the race. 

MISTAKE NUMBER 2 ? I guess its Cinderella?s wishing well ? Oh well.  DD went with it.

23hx4dw.jpg

After finally getting to the MK ? we ate breakfast in the main St. bakery and it was time to find the wishing well ? My plan we to have DD ask people where it was ? turns out - none of the cast members she asked  knew so I had to ?accidentally find it? for her. 

ina4hk.jpg

MISTAKE or I?m going to call them LEARNING EXPERIENCE (from this point forward) 3 ? I should have just been straight with DD that I was the one handing out the clues ? instead I would hide them as we went ? this created a logistics problem ? DH was basically (forgive the pun)? clueless? to what was going on ? I?m the crazy one who dreamed all of this up ? so about halfway through the race she figured out I had all the clues and things became much more relaxed.  So she found the roadblock which read as follows:

Clue 2 ? Roadblock ? who is feeling like a princess? 

Proceed by foot to the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique inside Cinderella?s Castle.  There you will find you have an 8 am appointment to be made over as an official Birthday princess for the day! Order the Crown Package ? Hair, nails, princess makeup - it?s your day! Once you pose for pictures ? you will receive your next clue!  Side note ? ?Insert brothers name here? can get the cool dude package if he wants to!

I carried the giant dress and accessories in a gift bag ? Security guards didn?t even flinch.  Right about here is where I noticed LEARNING EXPERIENCE NUMBER 4 ? I had nowhere to store her accumulated clues and money (This will come back to bite us later in the race).

My daughter has never been one of those girls who are a princess every Halloween.  Don?t get me wrong ? she is a girly girl ? I just always thought of being a princess on Halloween as kind of an easy route.  With her turning 9 ? I realized our princess days without eyebrow raising - may be coming to an end ? so this was an important element to our race. 

At first I booked the castle package ? thinking she would love to pick out the dress of her dreams ? but during our reconnaissance mission I discovered that the size 10 dresses were too wide and the size 7 dresses were too short ? any dress she picked out at the park would have been very poor fitting.  In addition the materials seemed itchy ? I knew DD would not tolerate that so I made the choice to buy the nicest Cinderella dress I could find online. 

When it arrived I removed half the tulle from the skirt so it wasn?t like a Mack truck coming at you ? took about 2 inches off the back and sides.  I bought her all the accessories to go with it but the shoes were too small and the crown and cape were too much.  DD liked wearing the gloves from time to time.  The only problem with bringing the entire princess gear set with us was it practically needed a suitcase of its own.

ormpav.jpg

The clue indicated that DS could have the cool dude package if he wanted to ? well ? he didn?t want to ? he hates to have fun.  DH stepped in and made everyone laugh while becoming the very first hairdo for the day.  I?m not sure people were laughing with him or at him ? but he was a good sport.

When the hairdos were complete ? I was slick and had the fairy god mother in training (FGIT) give DD the next clue.  FGIT loved the clue ? she read it out loud ? brought it to the manager to see ? she really made the moment special.  I was feeling like I was super mom at this point.

2r44v0n.jpg

Clue 3 ? Route Info ? Make your way to the Epcot. 

Once you get to Epcot - find the Mexico Pavilion in the world showcase.  Have your picture taken at the foot of the pre Columbian pyramid ? and you will receive your next clue.  Don?t forget to get your Passport stamped and decorate your Kidcot Prize!  You have 10 Disney dollars for this leg of the race

We walked slowly to the monorail ? taking her picture several times along the way. 

o0xkt4.jpg

I was not happy with the way the back of her hair looked so I modified it a bit ? bringing it up in the back with the Mickey pin they give the princesses.  She looked so cute ? There was a grandmother who asked if she could take her picture.  There was a lady who got back on the monorail just so she could tell us how pretty DD looked and ask us about where we got the costume etc.  DD talked anyone?s ear off she could about the race, how it was her birthday and the whole trip was an elaborate surprise involving a skunk. We got to ride in the front of the monorail on the way to Epcot and I have to say I think it is a nicer trip in the back of the train ? at least you can see actually see out the windows ? but it was fun to say we did that on her birthday.

2u4soec.jpg

4r6gly.jpg

We arrived in Mexico about 10 minutes before they opened up the pavilion ? it was so much fun to watch DD run in the princess dress. 

148dif5.jpg

While she was looking for the next clue ? I hid it in plain view ? and I believe it was at this point she became aware that I was the one handling the clues but she still played along until we got through China.   

2i1l1j6.jpg

Clue 4 ? Detour - HOLA! You have arrived safely in Mexico!  Choose between the following two tasks. 

Silly paper flower or Crazy Hat

Silly Paper Flower:  Pro ? You will leave with a souvenir.  Con ? It will cost money that you could use for future clues. 

Search the Mexican pavilion for a flower cart like no other ? all the flowers are paper!  Pick out your favorite - within your budget ? and purchase at the closest cash register.  Once you find and purchase the flower take a ride on the Gran Fiesta Tour featuring The Three Caballeros ? this slow moving boat ride through Mexico with Donald Duck and his friends.  Once you complete the ride ? you will be given your next clue.

Crazy Hat:  Pro ? This item will be easier to find and will cost No Money!  Con ? Potentially Embarrassing Photo! 

Search the Mexican pavilion for a giant ? traditional Mexican sombrero.  Once you have your photo taken while wearing a sombrero ? take a ride on the Gran Fiesta Tour featuring The Three Caballeros ?

this slow moving boat ride through Mexico with Donald Duck and his friends.  Once you complete the ride ? you will be given your next clue.

She picked the hat task because it didn?t cost money ? I see these photos appearing again at some point in their lives:

2csjc5x.jpg

I hid the next clue when we got off the ride ? again ? I should have come clean right in the beginning that I had the clues:

Clue 6 ? Roadblock ? Who Can Eat?

Find the Kringla Bakeri og Kafe and purchase a Kringla Sweet Pretzel.  Bring the pretzel to the Viking ship in Norway.  Get photographed eating the pretzel in front of the ship.  Once you (and your family) finish the pretzel you will receive your next clue.

dbs6t3.jpg

LEARNING EXPERIENCE 5 - When we completed our reconnaissance mission ? I swear there was a Viking ship ? one month later - there was not one.  This demonstrates how fast some of the details change within the parks.  I could be wrong about seeing it during the reconnaissance mission ? thanks to the ?special coffee? in Mexico by the time we got to Norway we were already feeling pretty good ? but I checked it off on the outline ? and when she was hunting for it to take her picture ? there wasn?t one.  We parked in front of the waterfall for the picture instead and hid clue 7.

Clue 7 - SpeedBump ?

Search the stores in Norway and Find Viking ears for insert brothers name here!  (Mommy and daddy will pay for them if brother wants to keep them).  Once you have found the Viking ears ? head for the maelstrom.  Take a boat ride through the legends of Norway, including an encounter with some menacing trolls.  Once you make complete the ride ? you will receive your next clue.

DS DID NOT WANT VIKING EARS ? I don?t know where this kid came from ? he is such a grump.

Clue 8 ? Route Info ? Travel by foot or stroller to the Paifang gate in China! 

At the legs of the gate is where you will find your next clue.  To say hello in Chinese say ?Ni hao? (Nee How).  Don?t forget to get your Passport stamped and decorate your Kidcot Prize! 

This is when I came to realize LEARNING EXPERIENCE 6 - The kidcot prize decorating takes a lot of time ? I would not recommend adding the kidcot portion to any race around Epcot where you want to hit all of the countries in one day.

Clue 9 ? Roadblock ? Who loves the strange and unique? 

Find the gallery of arts and history.  Once there browse the exhibit to find a fish with a human head.  Have your picture taken with the fish and you will receive your next clue. 

This is where we ran into another cast member who was just ?amazed? with our amazing race.  DD got to tell her all about what was happening ? it was so much fun to hear her explain it to someone else.

34fyzqx.jpg

Even the Amazing Race must Pause for a princess sighting . . .

snl62p.jpg

Clue 10 ? Route Info ? Trek warp speed to Germany! 

Find Saint George and the Dragon and you will find your next clue.  To say hello in German, say ?gutten tag? (Goot-en tahkh).  While in Germany - Don?t forget to get your Passport stamped and decorate your Kidcot Prize!  You have 20 additional Disney dollars for this leg of the race. 

Clue 11 ? Detour - Choose between the following two tasks. 

More COW BELL OR Fancy FAIRY TALES.   

More Cow Bell: 

Pro ? Easy to find and you will leave with a cheap (8.00) and fun souvenir.  Con ? It doesn?t have any long term practicality.  Once you ring your new cowbell outside ? you will be given your next clue.

Fancy FAIRY TALES:    Pro ? You will leave with a new book.  Con ? May be difficult to find and could cost a lot of money (20.00)!  Once you purchase the book ? you will be given your next clue.

She chooses the cowbell - LEARNING EXPERIENCE 7 - We have never seen that cow bell again ? I?m not sure if it fell out of one of the bags or if we left in where she found the next clue ? but it was gone almost as soon as she bought it ? this goes back to a special bag or backpack to keep her stuff would have been great.

10e3sbc.jpg    t80knn.jpg    2qaqvzb.jpg

Clue 12 ? Route Info ? Take your family on a journey to the homeland ? Italy! 

Find the Neptune fountain.  Once you toss a penny into the fountain ? you will receive your next clue.  To say hello in Italian, say ?buon giornio? (boonon jor-no).  Don?t forget to get your Passport stamped and decorate your Kidcot Prize!  You have 50 additional Disney dollars for this leg of the race.

fmunh2.jpg

Clue 13 ? Roadblock ? Who has an eye for detail? 

Search through the shops of Italy and find the mask shop.  Be very careful when entering the shop and don?t touch any of the masks.  Search through the shop to find a red and gold harlequin mask that only hides your eyes.  Once you find the mask ? you will receive your next clue.  You can purchase a mask or save your Disney dollars for future use. 

Italians love their red and gold so I knew there would be something in there that would pass as the mask in the clue.  Right away she found one and then she found one she wanted to buy.  I was glad for her to have such a pretty souvenir ? knowing my daughter would want one ? I made sure she had enough money from previous clues.  I asked the woman in the shop if they should only be for display and she was like ? ?YES? ? but I let DD wear it anyway.  Hey - You only live once.

15d41gp.jpg 

xbd0ra.jpg

Clue 14 ? Route Info ? Make your way to the Good Old USA. 

Get your passport stamped and decorate your kidcot prize ? once complete ? you will receive your next clue. 

Clue 15 ? Roadblock ? Who loves history! 

Search the USA pavilion for the National Treasures Exhibit. Let your imagination soar to a time when "The Union" was less than 100 years old and Abraham Lincoln, our 16th President, was struggling with ways to bring this young country together. Visualize Mr. Lincoln and no doubt you're picturing him wearing his stovepipe hat. Did you know he often stored important papers inside it? These papers, and the ideas written on them, helped shape and define the United States of America as we know it today. Find Abraham Lincoln's hat and you will receive your next clue.

This ties in with learning experience 5 - Another way things could change in a month ? the Lincoln display was no longer there - DD again went with the flow.  We should have used the show they have there for a clue instead. 

THIS is when we completely lost steam ? it was hot ? we had been up since 4 am or something crazy like that ? DS fell asleep in the stroller. 

24bs2uw.jpg

Our ?learning experiences? caught up with us.  I slipped in the lunch clue next - but after a nice lunch in the USA

2jfm64k.jpg

we called it quits for the day and decided to pick it up after a swim and again on the following day.  This is where having flexibility in the clues helped . . .

On the way out the cast members were having kids write messages in chalk and DD got her first of several large rings (I think they are getting rid of pirate and princess party inventory) ? she got rings from everyone ? bus drivers, random cast members ? I think we came home with 6 or 7 giant bejeweled rings. 

112agcm.jpg

LEARNING EXPERIENCE 8 ? BUILD FLEXABILIY IN THE CLUES: 

I had made several ?optional clues? as follows ? we didn?t end up using all of them but having the lunch and dinner as flexible clues worked out super.  I should have had an alternate ending clue ? but it worked out OK as you will find out:

***Optional Clue 26 - Route Info ? Where is Disney?s Yacht and Beach club anyway?

Take the walkway out of the international gateway (between the France and the UK Pavilions) to the Disney?s Yacht and Beach club.  Once you find the special carousel that no one can ride ? you will receive your next clue. 

***Optional clue 27 ? Who is in the mood to go shopping!

Make your way to downtown Disney ? Once there find the Goofy Candy Co, the world of Disney, and other great shops to spend any birthday money you may have leftover from the AMAZING RACE.  Once you have finished shopping ? you will receive your next clue. 

***Optional Clue 28 - Route Info - Make you way to the Grand Floridian!

Search the hotel for a house ? not just any house ? but a house that you can eat.  Once you find the house and have your picture taken in front of it ? you will receive your next clue.

***Lunch Clue ? Route Info ? It?s time for lunch ? what are you in the mood to eat?  A list of quick service pavilions are below - Once you finish lunch ? you will receive your next clue!

Boulangerie Patisserie - Delight in sweet yummies that are magnifique to eat. Treat yourself to a delectable assortment of sandwiches, quiches, French pastries and hot coffee.

La Cantina De San Angel - Relax in the pleasant warmth and hospitality of this lagoon-front Mexican cantina. Muy delicioso specialties include nachos, tacos, tortillas, burritos and refried beans. And don't forget the churros and flan.

Lotus Blossom Caf? - Ensure that your fortune is delicious at this counter-service restaurant offering classic Chinese take-out favorites like egg rolls, stir-fry and Shanghai grilled chicken with pickled vegetables.

Sommerfest - Cozy up to this comfy corner of the German pavilion for a sensational sampling of sausage, snacks and suds. You can't beat our bratwurst and German beer!

Tangierine Caf? - Get lost in the maze of intrigue that is the Morocco pavilion and discover this hidden treasure that offers delectable lamb and chicken and other North African favorites such as couscous.

Yakitori House - You are in for an Imperial treat when you visit this replica of a 16th-century Japanese palace for a quick bite. Beef and chicken skewers, noodles and sushi rolls are favorites here.

***Dinner Clue ? Route Info ? Head to Park Fare

A fabulous feast and your birthday present await you at the Pit Stop.  1900 park fare at the Grand Floridian is your destination.  There you will enjoy Cinderella?s Royal feast.  Be charmed by a sumptuous buffet as you gather for an enchanting dinner as a Guest of Cinderella herself. The Princess's storybook friends join in the festivities as you have a "ball" dining on delectable seafood, salad, pasta and beef specialties.

My initial idea was to get all through the race and have dinner be the ?pit stop? where she would receive her gift ? well ? that didn?t work out because we had to break the race up over two days.  See the ? ?if I could do it again? section at the end of this report for ideas I have about how to fix this.  Having an ?over the top? cake for her at dinner was awesome ? didn?t care for the restaurant much though.  I wish I had a picture of the giant sandwich DD made from one of the ?display? loaves of bread ? TOO FUNNY.

5x3bsw.jpg

On day 2 ? I had the pirate cruise booked for my kids in the AM ? (originally not part of the amazing race).  It was a great way to get Laundry done ? DS again decided he did not want to participate so DH brought him to the MK for a few hours. 

A few pics of the pirate cruise:

2db6zib.jpg

DD is wearing her necklace - crystal star - that we gave her at the Park fare dinner.

We regrouped over lunch at Le Cellar when she received her next clue from the waitress:

Clue 16 ? Route Info - Soar on over to Japan! 

Once there you need to find a traditional Pagoda ? you will find your next clue.  Don?t forget to get your Passport stamped and decorate your Kidcot Prize!  You have 30 additional Disney dollars for this leg of the race. 

24m5lcy.jpg

2hcn703.jpg

Clue 17 ? Roadblock - Who can sense the largest pearl? 

Search the stores in Japan for the pick a pearl station.  Proceed to the closest cash register and purchase a pick a pearl ticket.  Then try out your birthday luck and pick a pearl.  You can have the pearl you receive put in a baggie or have it set in a ring or pendant for extra money.  Mommy has a necklace you can use if you would like to have your pearl mounted in a pendant.  Once you?re pearl activity is complete (~20 minutes) ? you will receive your next clue.  PS ? While your pearl is being mounted see if you can find Miyuki - the Japanese candy artist molds hot candy into animals!

x4kutg.jpg

The pearl activity went well - I don?t know about anyone else but I found the candy artist area to be like a mob scene ? besides the fact that multiple kids from the same family were getting candy - I saw a parent get chosen right after their kid.  If I was that parent I would have said ?no thank you please choose another child? ? but no way - it was everyone out for themselves.  I know life isn?t fair ? but a one per family common courtesy rule would seem to be in order. 

DD was sad not to be chosen - This is when I made the choice to tell DD that we had bought annual passes (a surprise I was saving for our last day) and that we would come back when there when there were less crazy people in the park.  This seemed to lift her spirits.

5x3bsw.jpg

Clue 18 ? Route Info - Ride a Magic Carpet to Morocco! 

Find the Baboujaloud Archway to obtain your next clue.  To say hello in Moroccan say ?salam alekoum? (sah-lam wah-lay-koom).  While the real morocco is located on the westernmost tip of North Africa, bordering Algeria to the east and the Moroccan- occupied Western Sahara in the southeast, Epcot?s Morocco pavilion is located in between France and Japan.    Don?t forget to get your Passport stamped and decorate your Kidcot Prize!  You have 20 additional Disney dollars for this leg of the race.

2ypb2bp.jpg

Clue 19 ? Detour ? Choose between the following two tasks.  Rub a magic lamp or get a henna tattoo?

Magic Lamp:  Pro ? It won?t cost any money and you may find a genie.  Con ? It could be difficult to find as there are many shops in Morocco and you may find a genie. 

It?s said that a genie can live inside an oil lamp and will grant wishes to the owner of the lamp, but ?be careful what you wish for? In many of these stories, wishes can have tricky consequences.  Often, the story of a genie will end with the genie?s master wishing to have never found the genie, all his previous wishes never to have happened, or a similar wish to cancel all the fouled wishes that had come before.  Search the Morrocain pavilion for an oil tamp that to you has the best shot of having a genie.  Once you rub the lamp and make a wish ? you will be given your next clue.

Henna Tattoo:  Pro ? It should be easy to find in the Marketplace in the Medina and Henna tattoos can last for weeks.  Con ? the more beautiful the tattoo ? the more money it will cost.   

Mehndi is the application of Henna as a temporary form of skin decoration in Asia and Africa.  Mehndi decorations became fashionable in the West in the late 1990s, where they are sometimes called henna tattoos. In Kerala henna is known as mylanchi and widely used by the Muslim community. Henna is typically applied during special occasions like weddings and festivals. It is usually drawn on the palms and feet, where the color will be darkest because the skin contains higher levels of keratin which binds temporarily to lawsone, the colorant of henna. Henna was used as a form of decoration mainly for brides.  Don?t worry ? you?re not getting married - but once you get your tattoo ? you will be given your next clue.

She chooses the tattoo which was fun.  I bought the cream for her that would make the tattoo last longer but it was still gone by the time our trip was over (too much swimming I think).  I should have done something with belly dancing on this one because they had stuff all over for that.  Morrocco is like a maze ? I wasn?t sure we would find our way out of there.

b7npj6.jpg

Clue 20 ? Route Info ? Prance to France! 

Step into the heart of Paris in this romantic pavilion filled with shops, restaurants and a film presentation about France.  Once you get your Passport stamped and decorate your Kidcot Prize ? you will receive your next clue! 

Clue 21 - Roadblock ? Who wants to smell pretty? 

Find the Guerlain Perfume store.  The perfumer Guerlain, Inc.  La Signature has been remodeled as a Haute Perfumery patterned after the original La Maison Guerlain flagship boutique on the Champs-Elysees in Paris. As a Haute Perfumery, La Signature carries exclusive and limited-edition specialty fragrances ? ask for special birthday fragrance spritz and you will receive your next clue.

6dzq4j.jpg

jv21wl.jpg

This was so much fun ? the people in this shop were happy to help her out.  I wish we had gotten there while she was in the princess dress on her actual birthday.

Clue 22 ? Route Info ? Skip over to the United Kingdom. 

Once you get your Passport stamped and decorate your Kidcot Prize ? you will receive your next clue!  Can you say supercalifragilisticexpialidocious???

2w344yd.jpg

Clue 23 ? Roadblock ? Who can find their way through the maze?

Find the hedge maze at the rear of the United Kingdom Pavilion.  A Hedge maze is an outdoor garden maze in which the "walls" or dividers between passages are made of vertical hedges or plants.  Once you successfully complete the maze ? you will be given your next clue.  HINT:  The wall follower, the best-known rule for traversing mazes. If the maze is simply connected, that is, all its walls are connected together or to the maze's outer boundary, then by keeping one hand in contact with one wall of the maze the player is guaranteed not to get lost and will reach a different exit if there is one; otherwise, he or she will return to the entrance. This strategy works best when implemented immediately upon entering the maze.

We spent a lot of time by the maze.  It was a nice rest plus we got to see Father Christmas.  Both DS and DD both went through the maze several times ? we played monsters through the maze ? it was great fun.

2sa145c.jpg

Clue 24 ? Route Info ? March on over to Canada. 

Find the 30 foot waterfall and have your picture taken in front of it - you will receive your next clue.  Don?t forget to get your Passport stamped and decorate your Kidcot Prize!  You have 10 additional dollars for this leg of the race. 

ixseg3.jpg

Clue 25 ? Detour - Choose between the following two tasks. 

Totem pole Study or circle vision?

Totem Pole Study - Pro ? interesting Con ? It will cost money and may take longer 

The Canada pavilion has 3 native totem poles, up to 30' in height. Two of the three are made out of fiberglass, and one is carved out of wood. You need to study all three to determine which one is made of wood.  The wooden totem pole depicts three stories of the "Raven" tricking the "Sky Chief" into the release of sun, moon and stars from a chest. It was carved by the British Columbia artist David Boxley, and was officially put on display in April 1998.  Once you determine which one is made of wood you have to find the hidden Mickey just underneath the elbow of a set of arms near the top of the pole.  Once you find the hidden Mickey you need to go to the Northwest Mercantile (designed to look like a traditional West coast native longhouse) and buy a small totem pole to remember the experience by.  Finally you need to become a totem pole and have your picture taken in the totem pole cut outs!

Circle vision - Watch a real circle vision movie all about Canada.  Pro ? It doesn?t cost any money Con ? takes time and can be a little boring since you have already been to Canada. 

Search the Canada Pavilion for "O Canada!", a Circle-Vision 360? movie of Canada's cities and scenery.  In 2007, Disney updated the film "O Canada!", which was filmed in 1979. For several years, the Canadian Tourism Commission had been lobbying to have the movie updated, partly to remove outdated stereotypes of Canadian life. On August 31, 2007, the updated edition opened with a new host, Canadian actor Martin Short, and Canadian Idol winner Eva Avila reprising the original film's theme song, "Canada (You're a Lifetime Journey)".

She chooses the totem pole study ? like I mentioned before ? I was winging it in Canada ? it worked out well though ? unlike the cowbell we managed to hang onto the totem pole.  I made dinner reservations at Le Cellar earlier in the day (Yes ? I know I was extremely lucky ? I wasn?t looking for reservations there because we had already eaten there for lunch ? but it was the only reservation I could get ? crazy huh). 

fbz603.jpg

f1wacj.jpg

After dinner - Yes - those are tears over a steak.  We ended our race by finding a spot to watch Illuminations and spending the rest of her AR birthday money in the UK.

nodc79.jpgnt79l.jpg  6qz8u8.jpg

IF I COULD DO IT AGAIN

1. I would have left the kid cot prize decorating out of it ? The passport stamping was worth doing.

2. I would have made it clear the clues were coming from me instead of trying to hide them.

3. I would have bought her a special bag or backpack and wallet to keep all her AR money and items she was collecting.  We actually accidentally threw out some of her money when we threw away the envelopes ? only like 12.00 but oops I still feel bad about it.

4. I would have left DS at a kid club or with a sitter for the day ? he was bored to tears and kept us from moving too fast.  I?m not saying all little ones would have been bored ? but you have to know your kid - my little one is such a grump ? he only likes to have fun on his terms.

5. Maybe would have broken it up over 2 days intentionally ? I?m uncertain about this ? If we weren?t doing the Kidcot  and were able to move a bit faster ? I think we could have gotten it done.

6. I would have an alternate ending as one of the flexible clues.

7. I would have made some of the clues less specific ? stuck with major rides and attractions that weren?t subject to changing ? although who would have thought they would remove the Viking ship.

I hope someone finds this report useful ? I know it is not your traditional trip report.  The Amazing Race is such a fun and engaging show ? I truly enjoyed this experience or recreating it around Epcot.  I would recommend it to anyone looking to make a little of their own magic on vacation.

That?s one happy kid.

fx6ii8.jpg

Whip, that's AMAZING!! (pun intended :rofl2:) I do a similiar type thing with Easter clues to find baskets. It's a tradition passed down from Grandma, Mom, then me with my son. I did it for him & Salamander a couple of years ago so she could "learn the trade" and do it for my grandbabies. Now they want them every year, and they're almost 21! :) Your daughter must have felt so special! Such a great feeling. ( And hubby looks like he enjoyed his steak as much :))) Thanks for sharing!